Infertility
Options

IVF what does your insurance count as an " attempt"

I know all insurances are different. However what does yours count as an attempt ? I.e. My limits are 3 attempts per live birth for IVF coverage. 

Tryimg to to get a feel for responses. 

Mine:

I've tried to get an answer from Carefirst  BCBS of Maryland but no luck. If I do ER, biopsy, freeze, PGS and then do a FET with any normals is that 1 attempt or will the insurance count that as 2 attempts? I know FETs are counted as attempts but what of a stim and ER with no transfer.

Or what if I get OHSS ( high risk) and I loose the option for Fresh transfer anyway? Thanks so much! This board is a great place for knowledge.

Re: IVF what does your insurance count as an " attempt"

• Options
    I have Tufts healthcare which does cover infertility treatment.  Each insurance company varies a little in what they cover as a cycle.  I would get a copy of your policy and read the fine print.  

I had a fresh IVF "cycle" this past year where I prematurely ovulated and did not have a retrieval.  Although there was no retrieval or transfer (which is where the real costs are in IVF treatment), this cycle was counted as one of my allotted cycles.  I know that when I have a frozen transfer, it counts as one of my cycles I'm allowed per year but is not counted in my lifetime max.  If I get OHSS and cannot complete a fresh transfer, then the frozen transfer will count as a different and separate cycle.  

I've found Tufts to be a bit more slimy than BCBS ( I had them for a short time and liked BCBS much better).  Insurance companies in general, are pretty slippery, slimy organizations and will do everything and anything to cover as little as possible. I would call someone at your insurance company (mine has a dedicated infertility hotline) to make sure to know EXACTLY what they cover and what counts as what.  And after you know, do everything in your power to maximize the coverage you do have.  This may mean lower levels of stims to avoid OHSS...things like that.  
    TTC since August 2014 
    Me: 41, Him: 43 

DX: Unexplained secondary infertility 

History:
    Multiple months of Clomid/Femara
    End of March 2015: BFP with Femara! Saw heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. M/C at 11 weeks
    Multiple more months of Femara
    IUI #1 with Femara and Follistem 75 units: BFN
    IUI #2 with Follistem 150 units: BFN
    Dec 2015: 1st IVF. 10 eggs retrieved with 8 eggs fertilized.  5 day transfer of two embryos with 2 frozen embies. BFN
    January 2016: FET #1 2 embryos: BFN
    March 2016: 2nd IVF cycle. 4 eggs retrieved with 2 fertilized. Quick two day transfer of both embryos: BFN
    April/May 2016 IVF #3. 11 eggs retrieved. 10 mature.  7 fertilized.  2 5AA blasts transferred 5/11/2016 BFN
    September 2016 IVF #4: 17 follicles growing, premature ovulation through Cetrotide. Retrieval cancelled. 
    April 2017 IVF #5: 9 follicles growing, 6 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of three blasts. BFN
    June 2017: IVF #6: 2 follicles growing, 5 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of 5 3-day embryos. Chemical pregnancy. BFN
    Nov/Dec 2017: Donor egg cycle. 33 eggs retrieved, 26 mature. 26 fertilized. 
  • Options
    hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    edited March 2017
    Hi, I also have CFBC of MD with the 3 "attempts" so it sounds like we have the same or very similar.   

I think what you you are describing is 2 attempts.  I had:
    1 fresh cycle with ICSI, no PGS and froze embryos not used. 1 attempt
    1 FET with assisted hatching. 1 attempt

I don't think insurance would combine then because of the time lapse between.  Also, I had to pay OOP for freezing.  I was also under the impression that if I had to cancel my fresh cycle because of OHSS it would be counted as 1 attempt. 

ETA: the rest of my post that disappeared! 

TTC since:  1/2015
    11/16:  IVF #1.  BFN
    2/23/17:  FET with a BFP on 3/8/17.
    EDD: 11/11/17 with a baby GIRL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow that's so specific. 3 attempts per live birth. Not even sure what they mean??? 
    AFM- my insurance specifically covers 4 ERs and I am averaging 1 FET per 1 ER and that's all so I have an effective 4 IVF lifetime cap. :/ already halfway thru my max!
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Options
    Hi, I also have CFBC of MD with the 3 "attempts" so it sounds like we have the same or very similar.   

I think what you you are describing is 2 attempts.  I had:
    1 fresh cycle with ICSI, no PGS and froze embryos not used. 1 attempt
    1 FET with assisted hatching. 1 attempt

I don't think insurance would combine then because of the time lapse between.  Also, I had to pay OOP for freezing.  I was also under the impression that if I had to cancel my fresh cycle because of OHSS it would be counted as 1 attempt. 

ETA: the rest of my post that disappeared! 

Thanks for the info. This makes me nervous. Another local board said they told her a FET after an ER with no other transfer counted as 1 attempt. If you did a 2nd FET with leftover embryos from first ER that was a second attempt.

If you did a freeze all , have some and don't do FET but try to go right into another stim ER then the first counts as an attempt even no transfer. It keeps people from banking and getting stims without transfer. 

I think yours is similar. You did a fresh transfer the first time right? 

The only thing that seems weird is that if you have to freeze to OHSS ( to cut down on even more medical issues ) they would count that as 2. That I'm going to call about. Hopefully I get a good answer
  • Options
    My employer insurance has a lifetime max on egg retrievals - I get two on the condition that I complete a transfer within 90 days of the second.  I unfortunately got no blasts from the first one, so I'm not sure what happens if I don't get anything to transfer this time.  I'm not exactly sure to which codes the lifetime max applies (I'm guessing the ones that require prior authorization), all other infertility services (and meds!) are covered at the same rate as other medical expenses (after deductible, 90% in network or 70% out of network), so I would hope at least office monitoring visits and ultrasounds (and meds) would be covered at the standard rate if we opt for more cycles OOP, but I haven't inquired for sure (and mean to after this ER).
    About me:
    Married 6/18/16 (Me 42, DH 44), TTC #2
    ***TW***
    Natural BFP 8/10/16 --> mc our NIPT-normal little girl at 11w5d on 10/1/16 :(
    As of 12/2016:  AMH 1.42, FSH 6.1, AFC ~10
    Self-benched Nov-Dec 2016 for
    IVF #1 Jan-Feb 2017 (OCP, testosterone primed antagonist w/HGH - ER 2/2/17 - 12R, 7M ICSI'd, 3F, 0B)
    IVF #2 Mar-Apr 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 4/8/17 - 10R, 8M, 8F, 5B, 1 PGS normal)
    IVF #3 May-Jun 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 6/4/17 - 14R, 5F, 3B, 0 normal)
    **New RE**
    IVF #4 Sept 2017 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 9/28/17 - 33R, 18F, 10B, 4 PGS normals!)
    FET #1 (medicated) of one PGS normal 4AA XX 11/2/17 - Beta #1 11/11/17 (153), Beta #2 11/13/17 (324), mc at 5w1d on 11/19/17 :(
    IVF #5 Dec 2017 - Insemination of 9 frozen eggs from 2012 (8F, 1B, 0 normal)
    Jan 2018 - Natural cycle ERA (normal/receptive) & stimming for
    IVF #6 Jan-Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/3/18 - 17R, 6M, 4F, 0 blasts)
    IVF #7 Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/26/18 - 19R, 9M, 9F, 4B, 2 PGS normals)
    FET #2 Apr 2018 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 4AA- XX 4/5/18 - Beta #1 4/14/18 (67), Beta #2 4/16/18 (231)
    Rainbow baby girl born 12/16/2018 (via c-section, induced at 39 weeks)

-----
    TFAS!
    FET #3 Dec 2019 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 3BB XY 12/16/19 - Beta #1 12/24/19 (139), Beta #2 12/27/19 (482)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Wow, covering attempts is kinds unclear, as it can mean almost anything.
    I have Premera Blue Cross, and my plan covers $15K lifetime limit for reproductive treatment, which I pretty much used by 1 cancelled IUI and 1 IVF cycle. Still waiting for my IVF bills to roll out to see if I went over yet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3