June 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC 3/24

2»

Re: FFFC 3/24

• Options
    kdanjou said:
    Confession:  I do not have a facebook account.  I got rid of it when I had my miscarriage about 7 years ago.  I actually despise facebook.  I think it's useless.  I realize a lot of people use it to stay in touch blah blah blah but I just can't take all the fake passive aggressive "my life is so awesome" posts people used to make.  Or just dumb posts.  I don't care if your dog took a crap or what you ate for lunch. 
    This is me now:
    I'm right there with you. I still have one, but only for car seat and cloth diaper groups. I haven't updated my fb for 3 years. I'm an instagramer all the way. 
  • Options
    +1 for liking this forum better. I'm in a facebook group from my March 14, but we didn't start that until much later after the babies were born and at this point, it's a smaller group. My main reason is that I like keeping the two groups separate and I think that will be hard if they are both on facebook. But, if the majority finds facebook easier, then I will go with the flow! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    neludelu said:
    neludelu said:
    itsfine said:
    FSUNole31 said:
    As we enter the third trimester I am getting more and more impatient for a facebook group to begin.  :o
    Same. It's so much easier. 
    My confession: I don't want an FB group. I like the anonymous nature of the forum. 

Also, this probably should go in UO, but I cannot understand how anyone can think an FB group is easier. I've been a part of FB groups. They are sooooooo much more difficult to use! On a forum, you can easily and quickly skim down all the recent threads and read the titles and decide what you want to read further. On FB, in order to find out what a thread is about, you have to read the whole post, or at least skim it. Most of the time, people are pretty good about making descriptive titles on here. It takes way more time on FB.

On the forum, you can easily see what you haven't read and what has new comments. On FB, you can the first time you go on, but if you have to leave the group page for some reason before you've read everything, when you come back, everything is marked as read.

FB is also more glitchy. For example, I've been on a group and clicked "more comments" to read an entire thread. If there's a lot of comments, sometimes (but not always) it will jump to a new page with all the comments, so when I go back, everything is marked as read and I don't know where I left off. 

I also can't understand people who don't want to share too much on here. This is an anonymous forum! I can't understand being ok with sharing personal information under your real name on a forum with people you don't know from across the country, but not being ok with sharing that same info anonymously. There's plenty of stuff I've posted on here that I would NEVER share under my real name on Facebook. 
    So I think I understand where you are coming from but nothing is ever truly anonymous. It wouldn't take much to track down who you are based on the info you needed to register. 
    I realize that, but no one sees that except the employees of XO Group. And who knows whether or not I used my real info for that. ;)  And it's still a heck of a lot more anonymous than FB. 
    It actually wouldn't be too hard to track someone down on here. Sure you could use a fake name and an not so used email address but to register that email address you need to use a phone number and that phone number is linked to your name. I'm not here to argue I'm just trying to point out that nothing on the internet is anonymous and that everything can usually be fracked back to someone with a few savvvy strokes. 
    I'm not trying to argue either. :) But the fact is, browsers of the forum and registered users do not have access to that information. Sure, an employee of XO Group could maybe track me down as could employees of FB. Also, my phone number is not linked to any of my email accounts. You do not need to use a phone number when you sign up. I'm not sure what email provider you use, but none of the providers I have ever used (including the popular ones - gmail, hotmail, yahoo) have required it. They definitely suggest it, but it's not required. 
  • Options
    For those of you who are interested in a Facebook group, I joined the one that started about 5 months ago. If anyone wants in, feel free to PM me.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    I think it all depends what you are sharing. I find it way less weird to share my medical history and pics of my kid with a smaller closed group who may know my name than out here for all the world to lurk.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @shmarpler is a a big group already?  I was hoping we would get one started in early to mid April, but I don't want to create issues if one has already started.  
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Options
    I agree @swanbrooner.  Once it gets a bit closer to June we should take a group vote/poll and establish guidelines and such about it and stuff.  I just don't want to step on toes if people have already created/joined one.  
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Options
    i thought we already took a poll in the early months and 3rd tri/close to birth was the outcome...I am ready for one but with all the drive bys and drama we have been having how long can we actually go while trying to weed out the unnecessary 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    shmarplershmarpler member
    edited March 2017
    @FSUNole31, it is still very small.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    meilaymeilay member
    edited March 2017
    Do boards tend to die once a Facebook group is more regular? I don't use Facebook but I appreciate this community and would hate to lose out entirely once that transition happens. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @ladylolly89, I think most moved to Facebook early on. 

@meilay, I'm not sure about all boards, but the July 15 board I was on died a few months after the babies were born, but the Facebook group I joined is still very active.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    shmarpler said:
    @ladylolly89, I think most moved to Facebook early on. 

@meilay, I'm not sure about all boards, but the July 15 board I was on died a few months after the babies were born, but the Facebook group I joined is still very active.
    This is what happened with my D11 group.  Of course that was pre-mobile Bump, but it was much easier to FB with baby than to bump with baby.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    meilay said:
    Do boards tend to die once a Facebook group is more regular? I don't use Facebook but I appreciate this community and would hate to lose out entirely once that transition happens. 
    I don't have a Facebook either and have been dreading everyone eventually moving over. My N15 board died a few months after the babies were born. I don't think a Facebook group was formed until mid November.