October 2017 Moms

Who's Working Out???

Can we get an active mom check in or something?  My first pregnancy I tried to work out and fizzled after the first trimester.  My second pregnancy I was really just power walking and stopped when the weather got cold (maybe in my 6th month).  This time, I'm on a pretty good 6 day/week schedule and I'd like to really make an effort to keep it up as long as possible.  I'm not freaking out about missing a day, but I hope to keep exercise a priority this time. I do a mix of Turbo Jam and Piyo.  What is everyone else doing?
BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who's Working Out???

• I wish we had somewhere to workout that was open during hours that worked with my night shift schedule... currently only able to get in the running around I do during my 12 hour shifts in the ER. 
  • That sounds like a great weekly thread to start! I'm not currently active, but I think about it a lot.  :# I do prenatal yoga at night and it helps me go to sleep. Would love to read everyone else's routine though. It might inspire me to do something...might.
    Me: 31 DH:35
    TTC #1: March 2011 
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016:Retrieved 22 eggs 12 fertilized, developed moderate OHSS
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET 2/2
    BFP 2/7/17 <3 Beta#1: 594!!! Beta#2 1630!!!
    Having a girl! EDD 10/21/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • YES! Lets please start this. I am having such a difficult time getting started. I was going to yoga 3 times a week before i got pregnant. But weeks 5-9 were horrible. I was so sick. Now im feeling better, but completely unmotivated. 
    \

• My first trimester has been rough so I've only been doing walking. But now that my weight has stabilized, I think I'm going to try to start doing a combination Plyo/21 day fix (modified). 
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @riverraine you go girl!  Wow, that's awesome.  I've never really been a runner, but I have such respect for people that do! 
    @nursejennie76 you probably get quite a work out on your shift! It must take a lot out of you.  
    @ChocolateIsLife one of my girlfriends just became a prenatal yoga instructor and she wants me to get into it, so I think I'll be giving it a try soon. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I did pretty competitive crossfit before getting pregnant. Was able to continue crossfit activities throughout my entire first pregnancy so hopefully this one will be the same. Have been sticking to my usual daily routine for the most part so far, even though I want to puke 24/7. Just having to tone down effort a little since I'm more tired and get winded a little easier. 
  • I WAS working out...until I was diagnosed with this SCH and ordered to take it easy. I hope to be cleared very soon to start working out again b/c I am normally pretty active and I don't like sitting around!

Prior to all of this, I was doing all sorts of things...running, walking, power yoga, free weights, etc. When I am cleared, I don't know if I will start running again until after delivery as I have had a month off from it now. I will definitely continue walking and free weights, and I plan on participating in prenatal yoga. Also wanting to swim.

Ladies, even a little bit of activity is beneficial! Go slow if you are just starting out or getting back into it and talk to your doctor about an appropriate exercise routine for you. I can't speak from experience since I am a FTM, but I have heard that maintaining a workout routine during pregnancy helps with labor and delivery. :)
  • I started out great with a first trimester workout at home every day from before I got my BFP to until I got deathly sick to my stomach at 6 weeks. I haven't done it since. I feel awful and know working out will help me feel better but it's so hard to push past the stomach pain to do it. But here's to things maybe looking up. I finally am getting a little energy back mid day and it seems I may be able to do something if I make myself eat first. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• @VLillyV that panda is my spirit animal.

I just remembered that I have a Fitbit, so I am down for step challenges too!
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    FET 1/10/2017  
    FET 2/2
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @riverraine
    Congrats on your races!! My plan is to run as long as possible, too! :)
    I'm signed up for a marathon (my 2nd ever) at the end of April, but pretty sure I'm going to be dropping down to the half!!
  • I've been keeping up with my running.  Baby has run a 10k (raced it! Whoops!! Didn't know baby was on board) and a 10 Miler (took it easy, kept breathing steady and took walk breaks).  I've also been coaching Girls on the Run, so that keeps me active twice a week.  

I've also been looking for 1st trimester yoga videos on YouTube and doing a few short ones a week, mostly as my stretching after running. 

I need to get myself to the gym today.  That is taking much more motivation than running.  I have 3 lb weights at home and that's not doing too much.  
  • @rasmussanna fellow crossfit/HIIT/olympic lifting mom here too!  i was able to go up until week 38 in my first pregnancy and i hope i can do the same this time around.  

i absoltely love the idea of a weekly work-out check-in.  it holds us accountable and gives us the opportunity to support each other :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @WRWrunnergirl That's awesome! I've never done a marathon, but it's one of my goals in the next couple years since this will be our last baby. It's great to have a fellow runner here to stay motivated with!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lola4411 are you keeping up with HIIT? I've been wondering if it's ok with the bursts of cardio.  And what are your thoughts on burpees?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @KDeola yes, i am still going "strong"!  I was able to do this last time around, and hope to continue.  i just take longer to finish and rest when i get short of breath.  i was late to class this mornign so i had to do 10 burpees lol.  i did burpees the normal way until i started showing and then i was careful not to flop all the way down to the ground. i basically just jumped out and in when my belly got too big.

obviously check with your doc, but mine cleared me this time around again.  they also know i lift pretty heavy weights.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's awesome @lola4411!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I am working out, as we speak, for the first time this pregnancy. I'm doing the "last bike" at feel like a total bum but it's at least better than nothing. I've felt so miserable this pregnancy AND with having 3 little ones at home finding time and motivation has felt nearly impossible.

With my last pregnancy I followed the exercise plan in a book and olgot that book from the library for this pregnancy but have barely looked it up. It helped immensely last pregnancy though. Best pregnancy I had and the least amount of weight gained by a significant amount.

Hoping I can find some energy and motivation as I near this 2nd tri!!
  • I was totally planning on skipping my workout today bc I feel lazy but I saw this thread and now upstairs I go to push play on my workout video.  I love the 21 day fix workouts and also do inanity max 30 and piyo. I love that they are only 30 minutes so it's easier to talk myself into doing it!
  • Omg. You ladies are amazing! I have been planning to workout this whole time but the exhaustion and nausea got the best of me. Today I actually made an attempt at working out. Did 15 mins of a 21 day fix and nearly passed out. My legs are now jello and I am struggling to sit. 
  • I'm usually quite active and typically workout 5-6 days a week. I used to do distance running but developed runners knee after running the Dopey Challenge at Disney Marathon weekend in 2015... since then I've kept it to sporadic 5ks. Usually I do HIIT, some weight lifting-based Beachbody programs, elliptical and yoga. Lately though I've been doing nothing because the MS has me nauseated all day. Can't wait for the second tri so I can feel better and get back to the gym!

Me: 36 / DH: 37
    Met: 9/21/08
    Married: 10/5/13
    BFP #1- 2/5/17 * EDD- 10/18/17 * DD born- 10/25/17
    BFP #2 3/18/19 * EDD 11/25/19* DS born 11/30/19
  • @mommac2017 had been starting a healthy habits check-in, I wasn't keeping up with it though so I'm not sure how it turned out every week. But it's on Sundays if anyone else would be willing to help start it as well
  • @riverraine - I did Big Sur last April.  I figured if it might be my one and only marathon, may as well do the one I really wanted to do!!  (Actually, the Big 5 in South Africa is my total dream marathon, but we've got to be realistic about expenses!!)
    I'm sure with how much you're running now, you may be ready for a marathon before you think you'd be!  Well, obviously after baby is here and you have time to train.
  • @lola4411 and other who do HIIT and heavy lifting or crossfit.  How hard do you think you're working out now compared to before?  Like percentage level or 1-10 scale?
    I've been trying not to get out of breath when running or whatever, but it sounds like I could be pushing a little harder and baby will still be fine...
  • @KDeola @lola4411 you remind me of this fitness lady I follow on insta massy.arias. She very very recently had her first and worked out to 38wks I think. I personally think she's a unicorn but maybe you two might find some benefits in her workout modifications! 
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @WRWrunnergirl I've kept my intensity pretty much the same.  This early on its not going to matter much as long as you are doing things that you were doing pre preggo.  When baby gets bigger and all up in your ribs and you really can't breathe you'll know when it's time to tone it down a little.  I ran and did plyo well into the 2nd tri last time!
  • I did roller derby and speed skating up until the day I got my BFP. I thought about continuing speed skating because there's no contact, but one big fall and I would never forgive myself if something happened. Also love HIIT workouts and running. I walked a lot my last pregnancy so when it's warmer and I get some energy back I'll definitely be walking and possibly doing some strength training. Don't want to lose my derby muscles!! 
  • @WRWrunnergirl so far i havent cut back that much. i am still lifting the same amount of weighht and going 4 days a week.  running, burpees, deadlifts, etc.  i don't do anything that has a timed element because i am slower than i used to be and im competitive and that would piss me off lol.  truly the only modification is i am a bit slower.  i was able to sustain this in my first pregnancy and so far so good this time around (9.5 weeks). i dont have MS, just fatigue later in the day.  my workouts in the morning help with that and give me the normalcy i need, you know?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @WRWrunnergirl omg! I've been seeing ads pop up on FB for the Big Sur marathon and it looks incredible. Plus, I'm totally hooked on Big Little Lies and the gorgeous scenery in that area. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Great thread!  I have been doing power walks with my dog ever since getting pregnant and despite of my awful morning sickness, it actually helped decrease it during the day which is why I have not quitted my walks 5-6 days a week. After my walks I do my squats and kegels! And I also started doing prenatal yoga.

Before my BFP, I was a daily jogger and also did the HiiT bootcamp twice a week for a while - but had to stop as soon as we found out due to being a high risk pregnancy (due to recurrent miscarriage).  These past two days, finally morning sickness has almost disappeared completely during the day (still suffering at night though), so I am really hoping I can start jogging again soon and try prenatal pilates - especially now that my OB/GYN has given me the green light to do so.

Anyway, way to go ladies! Keep it up!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KDeola I am also still doing burpees and all other movements normally. I've definitely had to remind myself to ease up a bit on effort. I've already noticed I get short of breath easier.
  • @WRWrunnergirl omg! I've been seeing ads pop up on FB for the Big Sur marathon and it looks incredible. Plus, I'm totally hooked on Big Little Lies and the gorgeous scenery in that area. 
    It's absolutely gorgeous!!  I live near mountains and several hours from the Atlantic ocean.  There are lots of beautiful areas.  But the west coast was beautiful in a totally different way!
  • Thanks for the feedback on workout intensity ladies!!  
  • Ok on the agenda today is prenatal yoga and going for a long walk with DH. I think that is a good place to start with getting active again. My fitbit is charging, but i need to find something to cover the sensor/battery under it, because i'm allergic to it and break out in a rash/hives.
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    FET 1/10/2017  
    FET 2/2
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've run 2 half marathons so far pregnant. Last pregnancy, I only ran up to four miles but keeping running to my third tri. :)
  • @runmama-2 jealous! I got shut down from running early my last pregnancy and never really started back. I'm a crazy walker, though. I walked at least 30 minutes a day last round. Then did 3.5 miles and promptly went into labor with DD. 

This round I'm doing 45 minutes to an hour of walking on my lunch break and my goal is 20k steps on my fitbit every day. I'd like to start trying to lift some arm weights and get my legs built up now that I'm not puking anymore :smile:

@Myelhsa I "workout" so I can eat whatever I want. lol. That's my motivation. Food. Because food is everything. Especially pizza. :smiley:

BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey ladies! I'm so happy to say that, after almost two months of not working out at all, I went to my boot camp class this morning and I felt fine!! The only thing I really can't do is sumo dead lift with kettle bells. I feel like I shouldn't be lifting too much right now. And my burpees looked awful. And I was short of breath the whole time. But I did it! Now for a nap.