July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

124»

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    edited March 2017
    @stokesm21, we're in that situation, mostly from my grandparents. We're in pregnancy number 2 but this will make 3 for us, and we've always wanted 4. I don't understand why my grandparents and others feel it's appropriate to look at me and tell me I may change my mind. All that does is piss me off, especially since it inevitably comes across as a vote of no confidence.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CPR79CPR79 member
    @stokesm21 @ktewart  It's interesting to see that we get this from both sides.  I'll be a FTM and I don't advertise it but we are one and done, and if someone really pushes I'll say that.  They always make a comment about how I'll change my mind once this one is born.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited March 2017
    CPR79 said:
    @stokesm21 @ktewart  It's interesting to see that we get this from both sides.  I'll be a FTM and I don't advertise it but we are one and done, and if someone really pushes I'll say that.  They always make a comment about how I'll change my mind once this one is born.  
    I feel ya there too.  My SIL does not want kids.  People are constantly telling her she will change her mind.  I know she won't and all her brothers know she won't either.  She's honestly just not the type either haha!  Her and her DH are very much on the same page about this. I feel bad for her taking crap about it all the time.  Like yeah, we're women.  Doesn't mean we have to have kids. Thankfully she's pretty laid back so she brushes it off but I'm sure she gets annoyed about it the odd time.
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    CPR79CPR79 member
    ktewart said:
    @CPR79, I agree. I genuinely don't believe that family planning is a topic no one has any right to bring up or weigh in on other than the people making and raising the baby/ies. One kid, ten kids, or no kids, no one has a right to tell me what is the right size or gender makeup for my family.
    AMEN
  • Options
    ktewart said:
    @CPR79, I agree. I genuinely believe that family planning is a topic no one has any right to bring up or weigh in on other than the people making and raising the baby/ies. One kid, ten kids, or no kids, no one has a right to tell me what is the right size or gender makeup for my family.
    YES.
  • Options
    Yes, yes to above statement!!! I knew I wanted two kids, but would have been just as happy with one, honestly! I'm baking number two, the opposite sex of my first born, and everyone assumes THAT is why we are finished. It's so annoying. I keep getting comments of "do you realize how lucky you are?!" and "oh wonderful, now you are finished!!" 
    The comments are rude. 

• Options
    Re: People commenting about same/different gender of a baby. 

I'm currently cooking boy #3, and I never once wanted a girl specifically or told anybody I want a girl or that I'm upset this is a boy. Actually, quite the opposite. We've been thrilled to be pregnant and are thrilled to welcome our baby, regardless of his sex and have been very vocal about it when someone brings it up. Yet every single person I speak to says "sorry" or "too bad", as if having three of each is something to be sorry for. I get livid, and pretty quickly. Yesterday I had my AS, and the technician told me "I can't perform any miracles. He's a boy. Sorry!" Even though DH and I didn't say a single word about wanting a girl or being upset this baby is a boy or indicating any of that ridiculous crap. I felt like screaming at her. I was in there shaking with concern hoping no issues would be found like they had with a previous pregnancy, and this lady had the balls to tell me she was sorry my perfectly healthy baby had a penis instead of a vagina. I seriously saw red. I didn't say anything because I was too mad to form any coherent words that were not just a string of swear words. You'd think someone who deals with parents and revealing abnormalities would be more sensitive when it came to telling parents about the sex, but nope, this lady just kept acting as if I was disappointed he was a boy or wanted a girl. Stop projecting your own warped feelings on me! 
  • Options
    mj8215 said:
    - totally judge people posting Bump photos on Facebook for their 1000 friends to see (also true for engagement ring pictures. Especially true for boudoir anything...)
    Guilty haha! Except I only have about 150 friends on FB, 3/4 of who are family, a lot of which don't live here and we don't get to see often. I don't like the add-everyone-I-ever-knew approach to FB. It's not me. People try to add me all the time and most of the time I'm thinking, 'I didn't even like you!' I have 1 post that remains public that basically says if you're not a part of my life right now, don't bother. 

Totally agree with the boudoir thing though. My husband would be mad and rightfully so. That shit is only for him (not like I've ever got them taken it but if I did) 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    Re: People commenting about same/different gender of a baby. 

I'm currently cooking boy #3, and I never once wanted a girl specifically or told anybody I want a girl or that I'm upset this is a boy. Actually, quite the opposite. We've been thrilled to be pregnant and are thrilled to welcome our baby, regardless of his sex and have been very vocal about it when someone brings it up. Yet every single person I speak to says "sorry" or "too bad", as if having three of each is something to be sorry for. I get livid, and pretty quickly. Yesterday I had my AS, and the technician told me "I can't perform any miracles. He's a boy. Sorry!" Even though DH and I didn't say a single word about wanting a girl or being upset this baby is a boy or indicating any of that ridiculous crap. I felt like screaming at her. I was in there shaking with concern hoping no issues would be found like they had with a previous pregnancy, and this lady had the balls to tell me she was sorry my perfectly healthy baby had a penis instead of a vagina. I seriously saw red. I didn't say anything because I was too mad to form any coherent words that were not just a string of swear words. You'd think someone who deals with parents and revealing abnormalities would be more sensitive when it came to telling parents about the sex, but nope, this lady just kept acting as if I was disappointed he was a boy or wanted a girl. Stop projecting your own warped feelings on me! 
    Wow, to the untrasound lady!!! I probably would have called aftword and told them they might want to have a talk with her about apologizing for healthy babies. So rude. 

CONGRATULATIONS on baby boy number 3!!!!! @supermom83
  • Options
    @supermom83 congratulations on baby boy #3! So happy for you. 
    @stokesm21 sorry girl! I do differentiate though between having 150 friends and 1000 friends. I'm one of the 1000 friends people (prob deserve some judging for that lol). Whenever I see someone I'm not close to post a dozen fb bump / wedding planning / etc updates a day, I go check how many friends they have. If around 1000, I'm totally side eyeing :)
  • Options
    Yup, the comments are very anointing. My mom keeps making comments about how "when we have more kids."  I got so annoyed that I just said we don't want more kids. I don't know if we will or won't, but I don't want it shoved down my throat. Can't I just enjoy this little one?
  • Options
    I have more FB friends than I need, but only about a third of them can see 99% of my posts. I heavily use the Share With Friends Except Limited Profile option. I still don't post bump pictures (just not my style), but I post a picture of DS sometimes - but never to the whole friends list. 
  • Options
    LoveLee85 said:
    Yes, yes to above statement!!! I knew I wanted two kids, but would have been just as happy with one, honestly! I'm baking number two, the opposite sex of my first born, and everyone assumes THAT is why we are finished. It's so annoying. I keep getting comments of "do you realize how lucky you are?!" and "oh wonderful, now you are finished!!" 
    The comments are rude. 

We're in this exact place. I always wanted 2, probably bc my sister and I were super close growing up 2.5 yrs apart. Then DH got sick, and we were not sure if even having a second was possible or wise for our family. We decided to go for it, since we'd take life as it came either way. Now that we're having a girl after a boy, it's all, "good for you, what a perfect little family! Perfect way to be done." (Looking at you, mom.)

PUHlease! I loved having a sister growing up. A brother/sister combo is a while different dynamic I know nothing about. Are we thrilled? Of course! But not bc it's one of each. Truth be told, I'm a little terrified, since raising a girl is a lot different than a boy. And if one more person tells me that "girls are so much harder...more drama!" I might puke. Back. Off. People.
  • Options
    LoveLee85 said:
    The comments are rude. 

We're in this exact place. I always wanted 2, probably bc my sister and I were super close growing up 2.5 yrs apart. Then DH got sick, and we were not sure if even having a second was possible or wise for our family. We decided to go for it, since we'd take life as it came either way. Now that we're having a girl after a boy, it's all, "good for you, what a perfect little family! Perfect way to be done." (Looking at you, mom.)

PUHlease! I loved having a sister growing up. A brother/sister combo is a while different dynamic I know nothing about. Are we thrilled? Of course! But not bc it's one of each. Truth be told, I'm a little terrified, since raising a girl is a lot different than a boy. And if one more person tells me that "girls are so much harder...more drama!" I might puke. Back. Off. People.
    Yesssss. We're having a boy after a girl and I'm so sick of those constant comments. "Oh man. Boys are so much easier." I call bull shit! I know nothing about boys. How the hell is this going to be "easier?" It's so annoying and it honestly makes me feel bad for my daughter. It comes across sometimes like she's not as wanted by extended family as this little boy I'm carrying right now. 
  • Options
    My UO: Giving your baby a bath in the kitchen sink is utterly disgusting. A kitchen sink is one of the dirtiest places in a home, some argue that it's even dirtier than a toilet. Google it, I'm not making it up. Think of all the food particles that are lurking, all the raw chicken juices. Just EW!

I scrub my kitchen sink down with soap and water several times a day, and bleach it once a day and I STILL would never even dream of using it to bathe my baby no matter how convenient it may be. Just gross! 

Here's a link to webMD talking about how dirty kitchen sinks are https://www.webmd.com/women/home-health-and-safety-9/places-germs-hide
    Wait.  This was totally what i was planning to do...but you are totally right!  Need a plan b now.
  • Options
    @chiquita928 and @PurplePoppy424 lol I get the exact opposite, that girls are so much easier than boys! In fact the only comment about this baby's sex that didn't bother me was from my mom who had said that she was hoping for my sake it would be a girl since girls are easier - just because she knows how much work 3 kids in 3 years can be on top of having DSS and the rest of our crazy lives to boot. DD1 has been a breeze but granted we are far from the preteen/teen years. 
  • Options
    @chiquita928 omg I'm getting the same dang comments and I hate it!! Even before we had kids I was told: "Pray for all boys because it's so much easier. Girls are all drama..and they are sooooo expensive!!!" It drive me kind of crazy. I mean, some of the most dramatic, crazy kids/teens I know are boys!! LOL 

I think it's just like how some people tell me going from one to two kids is so hard and a huge adjustment. Where others tell me it's easy because you have already been there, done that and felt it wasn't hard at all. It's all relative. 
  • Options
    I've heard girls are generally easier in the beginning and then they become more difficult as puberty rounds the corner. Who knows if that's true. Honestly any general statement is not that useful for a new parent because of individual differences. Sure, maybe girls are more expensive on average because of clothes and beauty products and such, but if you have a boy with an expensive hobby that goes out the window. General trends are helpful when you want to know "what are things like overall, for most people, in most situations?" ...not when you want to know "how exactly is this child going to be?"

I find it irritating that people make these statements and throw them in your direction as a way of saying how good or bad you have it, but people say stupid things sometimes. Please don't assume that just because I'm in the 2nd trimester I have tons of energy, feel totally like myself again, and have a raging sex drive. And please don't assume that just because I'm having a girl, she's going to be super obedient and docile and then that we're in for the drama.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @manillabar, it's definitely true, and there's another article that resonated with me (especially before I knew that Twin A was my girl, so I only had my son), but both of these are  worth the read, if you're interested. They definitely made an impact on how I thought of my relationship with my mother-in-law.

The first is the one I mentioned initially.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.scarymommy.com/what-breaks-my-heart-most-about-not-having-a-daughter/amp/

The second made me cry, thinking about my own little boy who is currently asleep in his crib upstairs and who still needs me to rock him to sleep for his naps and who hugs my legs as I cook his dinner, so read at your own risk. But it made me re-evaluate my relationship with my own mother in law (who, I admit, drives me absolutely nuts).
    https://www.scarymommy.com/to-my-future-daughter-in-law/

Both were thought-provoking for me.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ktewart thank you for sharing! Is it bad I want to anonymously email my mother-in-law the future daughter in law article???? Ugh. 
  • Options
    @ktewart I definitely agree with your comment about being closer to your mom than your mother-in-law. It has been the biggest source of issues with me and my MIL because she has felt 'left out' or missing something because she had two boys. I go to my mom with everything. And while my husband and his brother include her in things, she just isn't as involved as my family is with me. Like you said, not everyone has the same circumstances- but I think it is a general rule.

Growing up I always pictured myself being a mom of two boys. I can't explain why, I just pictured it like that. After DS, and the close relationship we have, I was totally ready to have another boy. (The millions of 'I know this one is a boy' and the 'you just waits' from my MIL drove me UP THE WALL. She just KNEW #2 was a boy and that, since they would be four years apart just like her two boys, she knew EXACTLY what my future looked like. Gag.). When we found out this LO is a girl I was shocked. And so happy. I'd be happy either way. Boy or girl, this is a different baby and absolutely will be a different experience! (Although I won't lie, I am excited that I won't constantly be compared to her and her experience raising two boys). 
  • Options
    @ktewart thanks for sharing both of those! I am now doing a lot of deep thinking for a Saturday morning lol
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    In regards to girls being easier early on...my husband put it into perspective for me when DD was like 6 mo and we were just gushing over her and he turns to me and says "this is the face of someone who will one day tell you they hate you". And I was like YEP. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @ktewart Thank you for sharing those. As a mom to one boy, another on the way, and no more babies planned, I definitely resonate with both your thoughts and with the author's message (of the first article). But what got me crying was that my mom wasn't alive to do those things for/with me... and she would have done them SO well. 
  • Options
    @ktewart I agree that its not the norm, but I happen to be one of those people who is closer to her MIL than her mom. Combination of my mom and I having a shaky relationship and my MIL just being a really good personality match for me. I asked her to tie up my wedding dress, and she always gets baby texts first. I know she absolutely loves and appreciates it cause she has two boys. As a mama of a soon to be here son, I really hope that I at least get included by any future important women in his life. I dont expect to come before her mom, but I do hope she loops me in as much as she can and feels comfortable with. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    @kerils, you actually were on my mind when I wrote in the caveats on that post, since I know you've mentioned your relationship with your mother in law before. I'm envious! I try very hard with mine - more so now that I have a son as well - but she just drives me absolutely batty. In my defense, she drives my husband a bit batty, too (we're both usually good for about three days before we start to butt heads with her on visits).

I do think, for the most part, you are the lucky minority regarding that relationship, though (not lucky in that you're lacking it with your mom, just that you have it at all with your mother in law). This is pure speculation on my part, so I'm not preaching gospel or anything, but I feel like some of that may be in the difficulty of letting go of mothering in general. Once a mom, always a mom, right? And because I have a good relationship with my mom (a spectacular one, in fact), I just don't NEED another mother, so her trying to tell me what to do and how to do it, it just rubs me the wrong way and, in our case, she tries to over mother both my husband and me because we live 9 hours away from them.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The gender thing is strange and a bit of a sore subject for me. My husband really wanted a boy and kept making comments. It turns out that we're having a boy, and he is very excited, but I don't think he would have been as happy if baby were a girl. Then, MIL told me she's glad it's a boy because DH wouldn't be as hands on if the baby were a girl. I said that he should be a good parent regardless of the gender. I feel like it's as if boys are made out to be better than girls. I don't like how the gender is such a big deal. But, I'm super hormonal lately, so it could just be me. 
  • Options
    The gender thing is strange and a bit of a sore subject for me. My husband really wanted a boy and kept making comments. It turns out that we're having a boy, and he is very excited, but I don't think he would have been as happy if baby were a girl. Then, MIL told me she's glad it's a boy because DH wouldn't be as hands on if the baby were a girl. I said that he should be a good parent regardless of the gender. I feel like it's as if boys are made out to be better than girls. I don't like how the gender is such a big deal. But, I'm super hormonal lately, so it could just be me. 
    we were team green last time but DH definitely wanted a boy because "that's what he knows" but as soon as he met DD, he was so excited and in love - he absolutely loves being a dad to a girl, and is totally one of those dads that you see in commercials playing tea with their daughters! 
    ...in fact, he was hoping this baby would be a girl, too. 
  • Options
    I have to admit, I'm a little envious of you ladies that have good relationships with your MILs. DH and I were talking about why it's so difficult for me to be myself around her this week. Part of it is that she's not my mom, whom I'm close to and I don't want a replacement for (which my MIL was trying to do). The other part is my MIL's personality (which does not work with mine). I will fully admit that I gave her a chance and we were getting closer...up until last May, when she said a lot of bad things to me and screamed in my face. She still has not apologized. I cannot open myself up to that again. It put me in a very bad place mentally (I was already on my way there, but it did give me a little push) and I don't want to go through that again...especially with a child. I also don't want to have my child treated the way DH was treated when he was a child and now that he's an adult. 
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    I don't have a traditional relationship with my mom and am closer to my MIL in certain respects. My husbands family is far more involved in our lives and with our children than my own. I don't think it's as rare as it seems, and I think a lot of it has to do with how MIL approaches the situation and how receptive DIL is to that.

Because I never had a model for a functional mother-daughter relationship, I never really had a vision of what it would be like to have a daughter. So I think that might be why I had absolutely no preference for sex (for any of the three) and don't really "get" gender disappointment. Not in that I don't understand that it's real or judge it but in that I can't empathize in the way I can with other things.

All that to say that maybe what I really am is jealous of everyone who would pick up the phone and call mom first. I hope I can create that with my daughters. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've posted about this before, but it applies here. My MIL and I had an ok relationship when we were younger. After DH had cancer, it got worse, because I felt she was always meddling. After DH had the stroke, though, something changed in ME that made me realize that she wasn't meddling - she was just helping, and trying to take care of her little boy. It was a real eye opener for me, and I am so glad. My still ridiculously close with my mom, but now I feel like my MIL and I have a really special relationshup. It's nice 
    Sometimes I wonder if it is me that is holding our relationship back. I'm pretty hard-headed, and am not one to ask for any help. She is so pushy in trying to help that it just drives a wedge between us. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear that it was such hard times for you and your hubby that lead you to that place, but it is good to see that it can happen some day. 
  • Options
    Just on the gender topic, everyone was asking what we wanted/thought we were having and I told them that since the beginning I was sure it was a girl. I had a feeling since I found out. DH and I were both hoping for a girl, but either way we were ecstatic.

I can't count the number of times people said, "DH wants a GIRL?!? That's so unusual. Most men want boys." I feel like I have to defend my family for really wanting a little girl.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @maybeitsmadeline That's a bummer! It seems like it's more common in general for people to want their own sex for their first child, but that's hardly a rule. Sorry people are saying that to you. My husband wanted a boy until he met our niece and absorbed some of my excitement about us possibly having a girl. Then he was pretty much onboard. We haven't had any of the surprised comments about it though. I'd just be like, "Really? Not in my experience!" buuuut maybe that's a touch passive aggressive.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    I agree with everything you ladies are saying, and really appreciate the thoughtful responses and dialogue. This is why I love these groups!

I personally am hardly ever offended by people's comments. (I've said before that the only pregnancy comment I hate is, "Was it planned?" And we are thankfully past that point now.)  If they have their own hang ups about the sex of a baby, that's their deal.