July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    I'm not scared of ghosts or evil spirits at all, I think they really don't exist and if they do exist they don't meddle with us unless your thinking about them (if that makes sense? Lol) 

i guess my UO is that I'm Very scared of bad people not at all of ghosts...  maybe because of first hand bad experience ... but robbers, kidnappers, serial killers etc.... I'm very paranoid about that stuff. 

I don't mind other people having their fancy pregnancy shoots at all, im just not into it. My cousin took my wedding pics to which she volunteered  and they were fine, nothing special but I wouldn't care either way. I have no pics of us up in the house either.
    I wouldn't want a picture of carrying my baby  where I can't show it to him/her when older because it's too sexy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LuLiLaEv said:
    I'm not even that old and I don't even know what any of that means @neludelu @kghusker1003 @nktrodden826 Ugh, uber. Hate when people say that. 

While we're on this topic, I can't stand when people say "Do you want to come with?"

No.

"Do you want to come with me?"

Finish your sentence!!

ETA: @yellow1daisy Agree!!
    Also, "Crae"
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    Can we also PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop staying "amazeballs" 
    Hahahaha yassss! 
  • Options
    DcwtadaDcwtada member
    edited March 2017
    RE: I think it should be legal to punch anyone that says "awesome sauce". I had a boss that said that and I died a little on the inside every time. 

@BusyZee the most freaked out I have ever been is having someone run up and start banging on my door around 9pm one night when my husband was working. I didn't answer the door, turns out it was a guy across the street who was house sitting having some people show up with a gun and he panicked and ran to our house. I was freaked out for a long time (and that was before I even knew who or what was going on). DH went over and threatened the guy and we got the police involved but I am glad we have two big dogs, they look fierce even if they wouldn't hurt a fly - lol that's all that matters. 
  • Options
    Rae1 said:
    And this why I have guns. Lots of them. lol People are crazy. You never know what someone will do. 
    Amen.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Rae1 seriously I really do want to buy a gun, the whole gun control thing makes me nervous aswell. Legal possession of guns all the way. 
  • Options
    Please tell me I'm not the only weirdo who has to look in the backseat whenever I'm getting into the car? 
    Nope - I do this too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @yellow1daisy your not, and you should lol. 
  • Options
    @yellow1daisy I do this everytime I get in the car, even in daylight. 

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • Options
    My pet piece is using literallly for some figurative. So annoying! 
  • Options
    Referring to your wedding etc as the 'best day ever'...can you see the future?
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    @dancegurl1118 ditto this and people that are always sharing inspirational posts. I hate them almost as much as the copy/share facebook chain letters 

@maybeitsmadeline completely agree and it brings back a crappy memory for me. When I started my first job, back before people realized I was uncool, this one cliquey group of women started this bathroom campaign because one toliet always had residue on it. After printing a bunch of similar signs for the bathroom this group of idiots decided to narrow down on a woman of foreign descent saying terrible things about her bathroom etiquette. They made it like a daily thing and it was disgusting. Come to find out that toliet had a powerful flush and sprayed water back up on the seat. I don't wish ill on people but I will say I never liked or respected them because of that. 
  • Options
    If you have any wall decal of "always kiss me goodnight" or "live, laugh, love" or some other bologna hanging in your house I'm judging you. 
    Completely agree with the cliche sayings.  The only one I have in my house is a wooden sign that my mom got me when I'd been away from home for about five years.  She came down with my dad for Christmas and it says, "Love You More" and I burst into tears because we always say that and I'd been away for the longest time in my entire life.

Overly used everything drives me nuts.  It's made baby name picking harder because I can connect most names I hear to someone I know and don't want to think of that every time I think of my child's name.  My memory is annoying most of the time because I'll still think of the boy in my kindergarten class named Felipe and the country bumpkin teacher called him Flippy.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118, I agree in general with the chi he signs and sayings. I will say, though, that sometimes they express a sentiment that is personal, like @maybeitsmadeline said. My husband and I, before he leaves for work/an underway/a deployment will always say to each other "Love you", "Love you more", "Love you most". For Christmas, we both got each other signs that say "Love you more" for our stockings without talking to each other and got a laugh out of it, so those are on the mantle now. I also have a sign next to my side of the bed that my husband brought me back from his first deployment. It says "Love you to the moon and back" and has a picture of my son's ultrasound taped to it. With the complications I had, it seemed like a prayer each night to fall asleep looking at that.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 completely and totally agree! (And was slightly cracking up as I read this). I hate wall decals for decor. 

And I am in the camp of disliking maternity photos. Basically all maternity photos. I feel bad saying this, because I know people mean them to be sweet, but I just don't like them. Even my best friends, who have had them very tastefully done, I don't really like... I do, however, love getting pictures taken for anything and everything else. We have family pictures taken twice a year and my daughter has had about 8 photo shoots and she's only a year and a half. 
  • Options
    My UO I don't get sexy maternity photos. As in are they for you, will you be showing them to your child at some point. And for the life of me I can't understand posting a photo of your pregnant bump on FB in a full length see through lace nighty with just a thong. I guess it's just not my thing and I find it odd/disturbing.

Haha this was going to be mine this week!  Except for maternity photo shoots in general.  Like, are you going to do that for every kid?!  Probably not.  Family photos - okay.  Maternity - *eye*roll*  LOL! 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    ktewart said:
    Isn't "hella" the west coast equivalent of "wicked"? (I'm a east coaster, so bear with me if I'm wrong). But if so, I think of this as more of a regional thing, rather than a fad or generational slang (try telling a Bostonian they shouldn't say wicked! Haha)
    Yes, "hella" is the Bay Area equivalent of the New England "wicked." and it's been around forEVER. 
  • Options
    I think it is a tad invasive to drug test expectant mothers.

ETA Especially if we're doing so if we don't believe they are clean. There is a huge drug problem in this country right now (US, I believe the opioid epidemic has also hit Canada). If women fear drug testing by OBs if they are pregnant, they probably won't seek prenatal care at all.
    Yes. Fentanyl is a huge problem here in Canada right now.  Young teen girl in the city I work in overdosed and died.  She wasn't an addict by any means, just tried it and look what happened.  It boggles my mind.  Sure, I experimented with drugs when I was a teenager. I guess in one hand you can say there's nothing responsible about it but the people I did them with had done them before and would never let me do any more than they thought I can handle.  Then again, everyone reacts differently and I guess you could say I just got lucky.  But there were some drugs I would have never in a million years tried.  If fentanyl was as big back then as it is now, it would have fallen under my "don't ever do" category.  If life-long addicts are dying from it you can't expect that everything will go well with an experimenting teenager.  So. Sad.  I agree with your point though.  I'm not sure if they test here but it's the main reason a lot of addicts don't seek care.     
  • Options
    Rae1 said:
    If you have any wall decal of "always kiss me goodnight" or "live, laugh, love" or some other bologna hanging in your house I'm judging you. 
    what about "money can't buy love, but it can buy wine". Asking for a friend. 
     :D  :D
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    Can we also PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop staying "amazeballs" 

***Stuck in the box*** 

I'm totally guilty of this! lol  *sneaks*away*shamefully* :P 
  • Options
    Rae1 said:
    BusyZee said:
    I'm not scared of ghosts or evil spirits at all, I think they really don't exist and if they do exist they don't meddle with us unless your thinking about them (if that makes sense? Lol) 

i guess my UO is that I'm Very scared of bad people not at all of ghosts...  maybe because of first hand bad experience ... but robbers, kidnappers, serial killers etc.... I'm very paranoid about that stuff. 

I don't mind other people having their fancy pregnancy shoots at all, im just not into it. My cousin took my wedding pics to which she volunteered  and they were fine, nothing special but I wouldn't care either way. I have no pics of us up in the house either.
    I wouldn't want a picture of carrying my baby  where I can't show it to him/her when older because it's too sexy. 
    And this why I have guns. Lots of them. lol People are crazy. You never know what someone will do. 
    Curious - because this came up in a FB travel group i'm in - are you more comfortable in urban areas, suburban areas, or rural areas?(are you more scared of "bad" people in a particular area?) I thought the responses were interesting - a lot of people were more scared of urban areas but an equal amount of people were more scared of rural and suburban areas. for example, I've lived in some notoriously shady areas and I'd have to say the place I felt the most safe was when I was living in the Tenderloin in SF - because there was a sense of community and I felt like I had a good relationship with the store owners, the other residents including the homeless locals. 
  • Options
    YES THIS! I cringe when I see these wall decals featuring quotes. Bonus side eyes if it's paired with CHEVRON and in that tired old calligraphy font. Can chevron just stay in the early part of the 2010s? 
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited March 2017
    I would like to apologize profusely for not including all my responses in one post.  I've been so damn busy at work, got a break and was thinking, "I'M MISSING UO THURSDAY!" In my excitement for said break, I forgot how to bump properly.  *sigh*  

My UO is that I cannot stand it when someone has 1 boy and 1 girl and people say that they have the "perfect" or "million dollar" family.  I know more people that have 1 of each than 2 (or more) of one sex.  Like what does that even mean?!  Ugh.  Haha! 

Edit:  Apparently I'm forgetting how to spell and use grammar correctly as well 
  • Options
    Rae1 said:
    BusyZee said:

Curious - because this came up in a FB travel group i'm in - are you more comfortable in urban areas, suburban areas, or rural areas?(are you more scared of "bad" people in a particular area?) I thought the responses were interesting - a lot of people were more scared of urban areas but an equal amount of people were more scared of rural and suburban areas. for example, I've lived in some notoriously shady areas and I'd have to say the place I felt the most safe was when I was living in the Tenderloin in SF - because there was a sense of community and I felt like I had a good relationship with the store owners, the other residents including the homeless locals. 
    I am not personally scared at all. Again, it just goes back to the concept of insurance. If you wait until you need it to purchase, it's too late. I like having the means to protect myself and my family, if a situation should ever occur that I need to (which I hope never happens). 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm generally not a fearful person at all.  If I had to choose I'd say I'm more scared in urban/populated areas. Rural does not bother me one bit because I grew up in the country.  I'm not scared that people will target me because I only have 4 neighbours and live in the bush and therefore am a lot further from help than the average person.  I live in Canada so gun ownership is considerably different here. I've considered getting my regular and restricted license but it's not something I'm in any hurry to do. In my area, people who have been victims of any sort of assault or aggravated robberies and the like were targeted for specific reasons (ie: shady people)  My direct neighbour was robbed and even that didn't worry us.  There were a lot of pieces to that puzzle that made us strongly believe he was targeted by someone from his work and that it wasn't a random incident. None of us have had any issues with our homes before or since.  It's also pretty well known that we have a cop on our street as well so I'm not sure anyone would even try it, no one local at least.  (I think they did with the neighbour because he works with a lot of city folk who would have no idea who our neighbours are)

When DH got stuck on emergency jobs overnight or went away for work for a few days or a week, I was 10x more scared in my previous suburban neighbourhood than I've ever been living in my country home.  And it wasn't a shady neighbourhood at all.  I just feel safe in the country.         
  • Options
    I live in a city (in an "up and coming" neighborhood i.e. not yet gentrified) and grew up in a very small town, and I think I have a healthy sense of fear of all places. Bad stuff happens everywhere. I have pepper spray on my keys because before I got pregnant, I'd take the very first AM train to the gym - this included walking a little less than a half mile to the train, and then the same distance to the gym. I kept my head up, my earbuds out, and my keys where people could see them. But I'm also used to city noise at night - when I'm at my parents' place in a small town, the silence makes me nervous. 
  • Options
    @satsumasandlemons, it's definitely an interesting question to think about. I definitely fall more in the "safe in rural areas" camp. It's interesting for me, though...safe, I think, has different meanings. I don't feel comfortable when I'm too far from amenities like a hospital. However, I definitely fee safest when I'm in a more rural area. So it's a balancing act. I'm not scared of animals or the elements so much as I am of people. I never felt more unsafe than living in military housing in Hawaii. I knew all my neighbors, but it was a result occurance that if we didn't lock our door, we'd have to worry about people breaking in while we were home, looking to take car keys and steal our car. Our Jeep was broken into 7 times in one year. It was a smart investment to have a security alarm that was monitored. Meanwhile, growing up in the middle of nowhere, New Hampshire or on large tracts of land in semi-rural southern New England, I never even had a key to my house. So for me, it's not about the location to much as proximity to people because, bluntly, people in general make me far more nervous than anything else out there.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Is it a UO that I cringe when I see newborns (like literally only hours old) with soothers shoved in their mouths? Is this normal?  Am I missing something? lol   

ETA  I'm not against soothers but I didn't think they should be given so soon?! 
  • Options
    @stokesm21 I personally have never given my child a pacifier (which I'm assuming is the same as a soother) after birth. I have one on hand just incase my LO has ever wanted one. But I never introduced it immediately. I have given one to each of my children but they dropped it after a few months and once they began refusing it I stopped using it. 
  • Options
    I don't think baby clothes are cute. Maybe it's because I'm having a boy, but I'm way more excited for the toddler clothes that are mini to what DH would wear. I went into a few stores thinking I would want to buy everything, nope, nothing! Maybe it has just not hit yet. 
  • Options
    ktewart said:
    @satsumasandlemons, it's definitely an interesting question to think about. I definitely fall more in the "safe in rural areas" camp. It's interesting for me, though...safe, I think, has different meanings. I don't feel comfortable when I'm too far from amenities like a hospital. However, I definitely fee safest when I'm in a more rural area. So it's a balancing act. I'm not scared of animals or the elements so much as I am of people. I never felt more unsafe than living in military housing in Hawaii. I knew all my neighbors, but it was a result occurance that if we didn't lock our door, we'd have to worry about people breaking in while we were home, looking to take car keys and steal our car. Our Jeep was broken into 7 times in one year. It was a smart investment to have a security alarm that was monitored. Meanwhile, growing up in the middle of nowhere, New Hampshire or on large tracts of land in semi-rural southern New England, I never even had a key to my house. So for me, it's not about the location to much as proximity to people because, bluntly, people in general make me far more nervous than anything else out there.
    So funny we have the same location references but I'm the opposite - my parents live in Hawaii and while I by no means thought it was the safest place I've been in, I get more nervous being out in the cuts at my in-laws place in New Hampshire than I ever am in Hawaii, etc.