August 2017 Moms

Random thread 3/4

Re: Random thread 3/4

• Perfect! Do y'all think another discussion should be posted as a "Monthly Fitness Challenge Check-In" or tag along the fitness challenge check in as well? I think we should start with some squats! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PinkPrincessPiper @dmbfan46835 @secicc12 and everyone else - spending sooooo much time at work enjoying the drama haha!  I've never crept into the other BMBs and this is FUN! There's also legitimately a lot of good stuff in there to read too, so thanks for the idea!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • littlebug2010littlebug2010 member
    edited March 2017
    @jpearl2307 I think that maybe you and @britvahok could coordinate and maybe the start of this post could have the info for the monthly challenge, and one of the followup questions could be about how you are doing with the challenge.  This way we dont have a thousand exercise checkins each month. 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • @bumpybump That is exciting you are off the wait list so soon.  It is nice not to have to worry about.  We had a preschool meeting last night and I put this one on the list for fall 2020.  It is legacy too they just like to keep track.  It is so nice to have it taken care of already. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone thinking of having maternity pics taken later on? I love the idea of capturing this pregnancy, but not sure if it's worth the cost. I've been taking bump pics here and there, but it'd be cool to have some nicer photos done. Any STMs+ do this the first time around and have any thoughts?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • secicc12 said:
    Anyone thinking of having maternity pics taken later on? I love the idea of capturing this pregnancy, but not sure if it's worth the cost. I've been taking bump pics here and there, but it'd be cool to have some nicer photos done. Any STMs+ do this the first time around and have any thoughts?
    I didn't get them with my first,  and totally regretted it afterwards.  This pregnancy, I am absolutely planning to get maternity pics,  and I'll probably tie it in with my son's 2nd Birthday pictures and some family pictures. 

On a similar note.... newborn pics are a must have,  in my opinion! They are only that little for such a short time, and the newborn pictures are worth every penny!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Totally agree with @kristenk727. The newborn pics are amazing and a must! I still have them up everywhere. And I also did maternity pics with DH. We have some really great pics between the two of us that really captured our relationship. I will always cherish them. I plan to do another maternity shoot with DH and DS this time. I didn't do the super Ethereal dress and all that, not my style. And newborn pics again for sure! 
  • @secicc12 we did maternity pictures (some with DH) and I'm very happy we did them.  They were for us, personally, and didn't get them printed for anyone else.  The only one we got printed is in DD's room.  I took all the weekly pictures but it was really nice to have professional ones and not ones of me standing and smiling awkwardly.  It's a nice reminder of being pregnant.

I also agree on newborn pictures.  But I highly recommend getting someone good that keeps safety in mind as it can be scary if they don't know newborn safety.

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump @dmbfan46835 @kristenk727 Thank you guys! I actually booked a photographer the other day for newborn photos.. I've heard similar advice from other moms that it's a must. Glad to hear you were all happy you did maternity photos too. I think I'll go for it!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • bumpybump said:
    @secicc12 here's a sampling of my maternity ones. 

Gorgeous!! These are so beautiful, I can see why you're happy you did them. It's also cool to show LO what you looked like carrying them 9 months before they were born. I'm with @dmbfan46835 that the ethereal/flower crown look really isn't my style, so it's nice to see some "normal" shots here :smile:

When did you do your shoot? I assume you want to be close to your due date, but not so close that you're uncomfortable the whole time.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 mine were done a month before EDD (I just went back and checked). Yes, you want to be obviously pregnant but not at the "I feel and look like a whale" stage. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @bumpybump Gorgeous!!! 

I hope to get maternity pictures done. The style would be closer to the lifestyle ones that bumpy posted as compared to the ethereal style. My husband is a good amateur photographer, so if he feels like messing around with the camera one free afternoon you never know, I might pop a flower crown on my head and have him take a few shots. I'd also like a few lifestyle shots of us at home with the brand new baby. We'll see which shoot I can convince my husband to go for...

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • britvahokbritvahok member
    edited March 2017
    @bumpybump I love your maternity pics!!! I didn't get them done last time but will probably do family pics in June.

eta:spelling
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• @bumpybump I love your maternity photos! 

@secicc12 My cousin is a photographer, and she has already offered to take mine.  She wants to do both maternity and newborn.  She is going to travel down to me (4 hours south) to do them as well!  I can not wait to have them done! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
  • Hi!
    Two randoms. #1 I'm undecided on maternity pics. I would have my mom, a very competent photographer, do them casually for us rather than hire a professional. I like the ones posted above! But, alas, I get snarky about some I see on Facebook. One old high school friend of mine had the "romantic" ones with a bare belly and sports bra on (oh, and a ribbon around her belly)- some of the photos looked like she and her husband were about to get it on. I hate those; you see that romance look in some engagement photos too. Keep those in the bedroom! 

#2 just got back from our babymoon! I wasn't the only pregnant woman at the pool either, which made me happy. We were eyeballing all the families with young children and cooing (ok, just I was cooing) over the tiny baby swim outfits with matching sun hats. DH wouldn't let me buy a Hawaiian print ruffled dress though, as despite genetic testing he wants to wait for the ultrasound in a few weeks to confirm the sex, lol. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hate how I look while pregnant.  Think I have one photo from last pregnancy where I didn't look like a whale.  Right now I think there are only two photos of me since I got my BFP.  I don't even feel like I missed out by not taking maternity or newborn photos last time.

I would like newborn photos, but they are crazy expensive here.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After reading this series of posts about maternity and newborn photos I casually asked SO how much he'd be willing to pay for them. His answer: do we need to have them? I mean, I guess it's nice for there to be pics, but maybe not professional. Me: I'm willing to spend $0 on maternity and $100 on newborn, which means we'll probably ask someone to ask the family friend that does portraits of not-babies to take a few shots of the new family. And then give him some nice wine as a thank you. 

And then spend all our money on baby health insurance.

But props to everyone who manages to do the photo shoots AND prep for the baby!
  • lyse01 said:
    After reading this series of posts about maternity and newborn photos I casually asked SO how much he'd be willing to pay for them. His answer: do we need to have them? I mean, I guess it's nice for there to be pics, but maybe not professional. Me: I'm willing to spend $0 on maternity and $100 on newborn, which means we'll probably ask someone to ask the family friend that does portraits of not-babies to take a few shots of the new family. And then give him some nice wine as a thank you. 

And then spend all our money on baby health insurance.

But props to everyone who manages to do the photo shoots AND prep for the baby!
    What's baby health insurance? Or do you mean adding baby to your existing insurance plan? That reminded me of "pet insurance" that people get for their dog haha. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 reasons why I don't have a pet...

My only insurance is through the VA so I don't currently pay anything for insurance (and also don't have a ton of options). SO has a minimal plan through the CT exchange, where he owns property. I live on a NY island, and can't easily access NY-based care. Baby clearly needs something and we can't add it to my VA insurance, so it will probably "live" at the CT address even if mostly in NY. I could create insurance through my employer that will allow for CT-based care, but will prob be $600+/month. Haven't figured out yet whether it can be added to SO's, whether it will have its own plan, or how much it will cost, but it will be a huge jump from $0.
  • @lyse01 Ah that makes sense. $600/month is insane.. hopefully LO can be added to SO's insurance without too much of a cost jump. At least you're figuring this all out now while it's still early!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @secicc12 it is a huge problem for the entire town!
  • We tried to do newborn photos with DD using a photographer that DH knew through work.  What a mistake!  He had no clue.  There was a horrible picture of DH sitting shirtless, holding the baby - it was not flattering...DH is pretty pale and his nipple was right by the baby's head...my description is not doing it justice.  And then he took a pic of us holding the baby in just our hands, but forgot to take the baby's diaper off and had the baby on her back instead of on her tummy.  It all just looked horrible.  For DS, we just took some pics at home and they turned out much better.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
  • I've never done maternity photos, and don't plan to with this one. I do, however, plan to hire my own newborn photographer. The people our hospital used last time weren't that great. We didn't end up buying any of the photos of our DD. It's too bad, because the place they used when I had DS2 was amazing. I have the best newborn pics of him. Already looking into a few photographers that friends have suggested. 
  • I paid a photographer $250 for a CD of about 10 images. I don't regret it because these are the only pictures I ever felt 'pretty pregnant' in. We did JCPenney for newborn because my husband lost his job the day we came home from the hospital.. so we took a gifted photoshoot from grandparents.
  • We could only afford one or the other and since I wanted newborn far worse -we did those.
    I took a lot of snapshots of me pregnant for her baby book, but I wouldn't want anyone else to see them anyways so I didn't mind that they weren't professional.
  • I had no idea the first time that newborn photos were a thing, or at least not in hospital. It wasn't something I thought was affordable at the time, as I just assumed it would cost a crazy amount. I am so great full that the hospital had a great photography team, and they got some beautiful photos of his feet, his little face with alert eyes, one of him holding my mom's finger and staring into her eyes and one really good one of him and I up close. They sent two 8×10s, a cd and two littlehard covered photo books with sweet little quotes, and I still take mine out from time to time and tear up. For me, it was so worth it. Thank you for reminding me that I have to line up a photographer this time :)
  • britvahokbritvahok member
    edited March 2017
    FYI FTM a lot of hospital have a photographer that comes to your room when LO is about 1 day old and offers to take pics. We turned them down cause I heard that it's really expensive so I didn't even bother looking at the price list. Some hospitals have different perks for you after LO is born. My hospital has a masseuse come after you give birth and it was the best massage ever! They also have a candle lit dinner for mom and dad after baby is born. Mine wasn't very romantic cause DH had just left go get us food so it was actually just me and my mom.

eta:words

• @britvahok Those perks sound amazing!  Does your hospital tell you about those perks on their website, or did you find out about them in the tour, or after labor?  My hospital is a big one, and their website is less than helpful when it comes to certain things.  The most I could get was a bunch of photos of the rooms and things, but no list of things they do like that.  Ive been very curious if they do things like that or not. 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010 it wasn't on the website. I only knew because I had a friend who had delivered there also.

• @britvahok guess I need to find some friends who have delivered at my hospital.  But its definitely something I might be asking on our tour if nothing else! Why cant they just make the information available! 
    IVF started Feb 2020
  • @littlebug2010 @britvahok the only thing on that list that we get is the photographer. It's free for them to take the pictures but then it's pricey to purchase any. No massages, no candlelit dinners, nothing else.  I mean, I guess since I was so swollen with water and had a csection I got these leg massage things that plugged in, lol! I had a big food ordering allowance for me so I just ordered enough for DH and I every time except when we had visitors and they went to the cafeteria. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• NxyNxy member
    Did you give birth in heaven @britvahok?? I had DD at a Navy hospital and I felt lucky they even fed me.. Can you feel my jealousy radiating toward you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The massage was seriously the best thing ever!!!! She played calming music I think it was ocean waves or something like that. The candlelit dinner was really nice but they took DS for his circumcision right before the food came in. So 5 minutes into the meal DS came back screaming at the top of his lungs. The food for the candlelit dinner was amazing but other than that the food was awful. The hospital is right across the street from a town center with a lot of restaurants so DH or visitors were always bringing us food.

• After reviewing the pros/ cons, I have decided on a repeat C-section.  I am starting to get major anxiety over this choice even though logically it is our best option.  Anyone know if they give (ie. If there is a safe) anxiety med to get me through the 24 hours or so leading to the surgery?  Sort of feel stupid asking my OB this so early.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Lauradi1010 I'm not sure if there are any safe anxiety meds but please let me know if you find out. I almost had a panic attack when they told me I was going to need an emergency c section with DS. My ob knows I have an fear of csections and since DS's heart rate went back up when we got to the OR she let me push on the operating table. I get panicky at the thought of having a c section. It doesn't make sense to me why but I have a serious fear.

• @Lauradi1010 I'm going the repeat section route too. My first was an emergency c-section after being induced. Didn't really have time to sit and stress about it, they had our baby out so fast.

This time around, I know I'm going to be super anxious in the day/hours leading up to it. Hadn't thought about asking OB about anxiety medication for the day before, definitely going to have to check into that. 
  • @britvahok & @JCPSand2B,

I will let you know what I find out.  Maybe I will find a way to reduce anxiety for this without being medicated.  

Good to know I am not completely nuts.   I swear I still have PTSD after the first C-section. At the time I was so out of it and numb it didn't seem so anxiety provoking.  The fact I can mentally prepare months ahead of time is not always in my favor.  Trying not to go all nutcase on it now, but I keep having weird dreams of giving birth.  It'll be odd to go into this completely clear headed.  As terrible as it sounds I almost wish they could do something so I have no recollection of the surgery like they did with women in the 60's/ 70's.  

BTW, with DS I had an emergency c after my water broke and labor didn't progress.  I ended up waiting to be induced.  DS and I got an infection.  By the time I finally dilated enough, OB on call only let me push 3 times before baby's hr was dangerously high.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Lauradi1010 I luckily had a really easy c-section experience. I think partly because I didn't labor long before our daughter went into distress (she ended up having a true knot which when she finally drop pulled tight). Everyone I know who has had a repeat c-section said the recovery was much easier then when they labored a long time first during their first labor. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed to have another positive experience: 

I think what has started to make me anxious is all the worst case scenario type informational pamphlets the OB gave me. It was
    suppose to help you decided between VBAC and Repeat C-sections. Instead it made me think "okay how about we just keep the baby in there forever". Plus having time to think about all the "what ifs" is never a good thing for me. 

Hopefully this go around choosing a repeat c-section will be a positive experience to look back on for you. If you find anything that helps with the anxiety that isn't mess, I'd love to hear about it.