May 2017 Moms

FFFC 3.3

2»

Re: FFFC 3.3

• @RedInLove I am not referring to kids who have a speech delay. I've already said that twice now. I am sorry you're insulted. My point was I have had friends freak out about their kid being "possibly speech delayed" because there kid would rather sign than verbally speak. I was not saying using baby sign language causes speech delays at all. 

For example, a friend was very much into baby sign language, this kid was not delayed, deaf, etc. We visited them when he was three and the mother had to tell him to talk and not sign. He never ever wanted to talk. He only signed. He was fully capable of talking, but the parents used the sign language instead. I gave him a gift and he signed thank you instead of saying it. 

When I had DD all of my friends were very into baby signing. Just because it was the "in thing" to do at the time. I didn't see it being beneficial at all, because time and time again kids used signing instead of talking. Like it was a crutch. 

This is is a totally different than your DD that has a speech delay. I would never say that because you signed, therefore your DD has a speech delay. That is not what I was saying and I am sorry you got that from my statement.
  • bacorrea said:
    @RedInLove I am not referring to kids who have a speech delay. I've already said that twice now. I am sorry you're insulted. My point was I have had friends freak out about their kid being "possibly speech delayed" because there kid would rather sign than verbally speak. I was not saying using baby sign language causes speech delays at all. 

For example, a friend was very much into baby sign language, this kid was not delayed, deaf, etc. We visited them when he was three and the mother had to tell him to talk and not sign. He never ever wanted to talk. He only signed. He was fully capable of talking, but the parents used the sign language instead. I gave him a gift and he signed thank you instead of saying it. 

When I had DD all of my friends were very into baby signing. Just because it was the "in thing" to do at the time. I didn't see it being beneficial at all, because time and time again kids used signing instead of talking. Like it was a crutch. 

This is is a totally different than your DD that has a speech delay. I would never say that because you signed, therefore your DD has a speech delay. That is not what I was saying and I am sorry you got that from my statement.
    Thank you for explaining your more specific experience, it does make what I first read make more sense. I also did not catch your second comment on the topic so any further clarification made was missed by me.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Loading the player...
  • @RedInLove sure thing! I'm sorry that it came off that way. I would be livid if someone thought I caused my kids speech delays! 
  • bacorrea said:
    @RedInLove sure thing! I'm sorry that it came off that way. I would be livid if someone thought I caused my kids speech delays! 
    And that was where my mind first went, that this is what was being implied. Thank you again! I'm glad we understand each other now. :smile:

• The worst is parents whose children are deaf, but because they wear cochlear implants or hearing aids the parents refuse to teach them sign language. So when the Cochlear implant or hearing aid is removed or broken or lost the child has NO way to communicate. Infuriating. 
    The worst is parents whose children are deaf, but because they wear cochlear implants or hearing aids the parents refuse to teach them sign language. So when the Cochlear implant or hearing aid is removed or broken or lost the child has NO way to communicate. Infuriating. 
    Ah double quote sorry! I totally blame doctors for this actually. When my parents found out I was deaf as a baby and took me in, doctors told my parents that my hearing loss was so severe I would never learn to speak. My dad flat out refused to let me go take sign language classes with another friend that was interested. He was just scared I would convert and struggle as I got older. It sucked, but at the same time I get why he did that. I did have amazing lip reading skills when I had hearing aids growing up because I still couldn't hear that great with them in anyways and it was what I relied on. But yeah, it's not the same for a lot of other deaf people. I eventually lost the ability to read lips when I got a cochlear implant at 17yo and could hear/understand a lot more after. My CI broke once a few years ago and I had to go to work (retail) and it was AWFUL. I just kept a little notepad and pencil with me and people were very nice about it. I got a loaner the next day from the audiologist. As frustrating as it was when it broke, I survived. :)

• @pshaortao right and it totally makes sense that you would sign to your children as it is a main form
    of communication in your house! 

Ugh that stinks about your SIL. My three younger siblings are adopted and they were literally never spoken too before social services got involved. The youngest two were in speech therapy because they had not been exposed to enough words! That just blew my mind. When I think about speech therapy I think about lisp, some sort of trauma, etc. but my siblings literally needed speech therapy because of their lack in vocabulary. So terrible.
  • Love it!
    I have two sets of friends from the bowling league I used to be on. One set had a daughter and they taught her sign for communication. she was a premie she saw speech therapists she was nervous about trying to speak in the bowling alley so she would mostly sign. The other set who didn't know any of this back story other than she was a premie told me when I had a child to not do any sign language as that was the reason this other girl never spoke. I told her that actually she spoke a whole lot more when we visited their home and that she was just delayed but working hard to learn and practice. You never know whats going on in the background of people's lives.  
  • I'm not original.. my FFFC is that i just haven't taken the prenatal at all this time around. Like not even pretended. The iron makes me so sick, and I just couldn't find ones that didn't.

re: beauty and the beast... I never thought Lefou was gay in the first one, but I just don't pick up on stuff like that. It doesn't bother me at all that they are making him gay in this one. However, someone mentioned a rumor or him ending up with Lumiere. I just don't like that because I had this completely other vision of Lumiere. Kind of like when you have a picture of a character in your mind after reading the book then you see the movie and it's nothing like you pictured and is kind of a let down.

We did a few words in Sign with DD and it was awesome and adorable!! She was actually advanced and talking much earlier then other kids her age. So I don't see any correlation between sign language hindering speech as long as you keep talking to your kids. It only made it easier for us to understand her and she felt less frustrated trying to express what she wanted.
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• pshaortao said:
    The worst is parents whose children are deaf, but because they wear cochlear implants or hearing aids the parents refuse to teach them sign language. So when the Cochlear implant or hearing aid is removed or broken or lost the child has NO way to communicate. Infuriating. 

Ah double quote sorry! I totally blame doctors for this actually. When my parents found out I was deaf as a baby and took me in, doctors told my parents that my hearing loss was so severe I would never learn to speak. My dad flat out refused to let me go take sign language classes with another friend that was interested. He was just scared I would convert and struggle as I got older. It sucked, but at the same time I get why he did that. I did have amazing lip reading skills when I had hearing aids growing up because I still couldn't hear that great with them in anyways and it was what I relied on. But yeah, it's not the same for a lot of other deaf people. I eventually lost the ability to read lips when I got a cochlear implant at 17yo and could hear/understand a lot more after. My CI broke once a few years ago and I had to go to work (retail) and it was AWFUL. I just kept a little notepad and pencil with me and people were very nice about it. I got a loaner the next day from the audiologist. As frustrating as it was when it broke, I survived. :)
    Oh yes, that's definitely a different experience. In my time in working in Audiology I'd see toddlers come in and the Audiologist would strong encourage and use sign language in addition to the child's HA or CI, but the parent would refuse because they wanted their child to be "normal". There was a specific child who ended up having the implant portion fail, so while they waited to fly out of state to have follow up surgery that had no source of communication.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • BabyMC517 said:
    Am I missing something about the pumps through insurance? Aren't they the same as if you were to buy it yourself except you're getting it either free or significantly discounted? 
    It's part of the affordable care act that insurance helps supply or pay for breast pumps.  Every insurance does it differently.  However TB on my phone home page has one of those companies that help you get your "free" breast pump through insurance and it worked awesome.  It was called Aeroflow inc.  I gave them my insurance info, my doctor's name and they took care of the rest (getting the RX, finding out what pumps are 100% covered and which are partially covered).  My insurance had lots of choices for 100% coverage including medela pump-in-style and the spectra that everyone is talking about.  They also has hospital grade pumps but for an additional cost (like they cover part of the cost and you pay the rest).  It worked easily, the company communicated regularly, and the pump came in the mail quickly!  

On a side note I totally side-eye people who are worried that something that is "free" through insurance must be crappy or cheap.  FYI ain't nothing in this life free.  So why you wouldn't want to reap the benefits of something you ALREADY PAY FOR is beyond me :). We all pay high premiums for our insurance, or the government or employer subsidizes our insurance at high cost so we should definitely be claiming all the benefits of that insurance!   That's just my humble opinion.  

And don't worry...I do not consider "ain't" a real word.  I just think it's funny in that phrase.  
  • @nda_roxybabe I totally have a crush on audiologists haha. No really, I just find it interesting talking about their experience because they see such a wide variety. Its one thing when parents say absolutely not simply because they want their kids to be "normal" but another to ensure they are able to work on speech skills before they even learn. Its such a sticky situation. Even DH and I have argued about different approaches before DD was born.

• It doesn't gross me out if people pee in the shower, I just can't seem to. I mean, if I really tried, I'm sure I could force it, but it's like my parts clamp up in that situation.

Now, peeing in the lake/ocean...I do that all the time. I mean, what else are you going to do if you're out on a boat all day?
  • I had no idea people peed in the shower until I joined the bump during my last pregnancy. It never even occurred to me.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Wonder weeks is a crock.

I didn't even know Lefou is going to be gay in the remake, but this seems like an extremely weird place to draw the line. The main character is falling in love with an animal...who kidnapped her. Why is that not more problematic to these same people? 

I can't remember to take my prenatal at leaSt 50% of the time and that's with a reminder that goes off on my phone every night.

Sign was helpful for us during that "in between" stage where DS was very frustrated by not being able to communicate, but we only used a few of them.

I don't pee in the shower but I'm also not scandalized by it.

• jlonie614jlonie614 member
    edited March 2017
    Yes I hate the platitudes of just you wait...UGH so annoying. I get it you were pregnant before. @Jens_Hoes
  • @MoshiMoshi7
    "The main character is falling in love with an animal...who kidnapped her. Why is that not more problematic to these same people?"  
    :D  :D:D

This made me laugh so loud at work my co-worker just asked me if I was OK...excuse me now while I go to the restroom.  
  • @nda_roxybabe Yeah, it made me feel pretty bad. I was only trying to help.. I mean for someone complaining about baby stuff being expensive...

@Hansolosparka @Jens_Hoes My point exactly why not get it if its free? Don't like it, then okay maybe buy your own after you've tried it.

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• rkstro2 said:
    BabyMC517 said:
    Am I missing something about the pumps through insurance? Aren't they the same as if you were to buy it yourself except you're getting it either free or significantly discounted? 
    It's part of the affordable care act that insurance helps supply or pay for breast pumps.  Every insurance does it differently.  However TB on my phone home page has one of those companies that help you get your "free" breast pump through insurance and it worked awesome.  It was called Aeroflow inc.  I gave them my insurance info, my doctor's name and they took care of the rest (getting the RX, finding out what pumps are 100% covered and which are partially covered).  My insurance had lots of choices for 100% coverage including medela pump-in-style and the spectra that everyone is talking about.  They also has hospital grade pumps but for an additional cost (like they cover part of the cost and you pay the rest).  It worked easily, the company communicated regularly, and the pump came in the mail quickly!  

On a side note I totally side-eye people who are worried that something that is "free" through insurance must be crappy or cheap.  FYI ain't nothing in this life free.  So why you wouldn't want to reap the benefits of something you ALREADY PAY FOR is beyond me :). We all pay high premiums for our insurance, or the government or employer subsidizes our insurance at high cost so we should definitely be claiming all the benefits of that insurance!   That's just my humble opinion.  

And don't worry...I do not consider "ain't" a real word.  I just think it's funny in that phrase.  
    I used Aeroflow as well and should find out which ones I qualify for in April. I just meant since some people are saying it will be a "cheap" or "crappy" pump that I was confused because wouldn't we be getting the same thing, we just went through insurance rather than fully out of pocket? 

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • re: beauty and the beast... I never thought Lefou was gay in the first one, but I just don't pick up on stuff like that. It doesn't bother me at all that they are making him gay in this one. However, someone mentioned a rumor or him ending up with Lumiere. I just don't like that because I had this completely other vision of Lumiere. Kind of like when you have a picture of a character in your mind after reading the book then you see the movie and it's nothing like you pictured and is kind of a let down.
    I hope that rumor isn't true. I don't mind Lefou being gay (of any character) but Lumiere was such a ladies man (based on the cartoon). I hate it when remakes destroy the storyline I already have in my head. 
  • One of my coworkers purchased a pump that is covered by our insurance. I TOLD her she didn't have to buy one but I feel like she felt like the insurance options would
    be cheap or crappy. She got a Spectra S2. And it makes
    me so annoyed!  You pay for health insurance so you shouldn't have to pay for that!  I dont know why I care!!

BabyMC517 said:
    rkstro2 said:
    BabyMC517 said:

I used Aeroflow as well and should find out which ones I qualify for in April. I just meant since some people are saying it will be a "cheap" or "crappy" pump that I was confused because wouldn't we be getting the same thing, we just went through insurance rather than fully out of pocket? 
    I figured you were asking if the insurance pumps were the same.  Sorry for the confusion. I was just letting you know that yes for my insurance they are the same ones as at the store for no additional cost unless you get hospital grade.  I am very happy with my insurance pump as it would be the same one I would have bought otherwise.  

In the second part of my post it was just an aside in which I was was referring to a previous post like @Hansolosparka's post above about insurance pumps being too cheap or crappy for their coworker.  I just thought that was funny bc even though they're "free" we already pay for them and many are super nice.  Also see carmcege post below.  I was side-eyeing their acquaintances POV not your question!  Sorry my two parts seemed like they were both directed at you!   

CarmCeG said:
    @Hansolosparka My cousin's wife didn't know that the insurance covered a free pump, so I let her know the process. I heard from my aunt yesterday that she thinks I'm a smart ass and she doesn't want a cheap breast pump. I was pretty annoyed and hurt by the comment.

• re: beauty and the beast... I never thought Lefou was gay in the first one, but I just don't pick up on stuff like that. It doesn't bother me at all that they are making him gay in this one. However, someone mentioned a rumor or him ending up with Lumiere. I just don't like that because I had this completely other vision of Lumiere. Kind of like when you have a picture of a character in your mind after reading the book then you see the movie and it's nothing like you pictured and is kind of a let down.
    I hope that rumor isn't true. I don't mind Lefou being gay (of any character) but Lumiere was such a ladies man (based on the cartoon). I hate it when remakes destroy the storyline I already have in my head. 
    That's exactly my thoughts too. He was always chasing around the feather duster. it would just change his whole demeanor and wouldn't quite feel the same. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

That's exactly my thoughts too. He was always chasing around the feather duster. it would just change his whole demeanor and wouldn't quite feel the same. 
    Maybe Lumiere is bisexual?

May '17 labor memes
  • I have to agree with not having taken the prenatal, I took it as often as it would stay down until 12w which is the recommendation to prevent neural tube defects, but after that, for this pregnancy and last, I have pretty much ignored the vitamins 

Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • I'm relieved to hear about all you mommas struggling with prenatals. I'm running probably about twice a week average.... not the greatest. I was good during first tri but lately it just hasn't been a priority. 
  • kns1988 said:
    I'm bummed that the best drama people on other boards keep getting banned. I also spend way too much time lurking the bump. It's the only place on the internet that I find interesting lately. 
    I actually check Bump before Facebook! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • hp_momma said:
    kns1988 said:
    I'm bummed that the best drama people on other boards keep getting banned. I also spend way too much time lurking the bump. It's the only place on the internet that I find interesting lately. 
    Same! There's so much more to read here, and the little yellow "new" signs are so tempting. I might have a problem. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• I'm glad to hear others are not taking prenatal as often as they could. I was so good first tri, but haven't been good at remembering lately. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• hp_momma said:
    kns1988 said:
    hp_momma said:
    kns1988 said:
    Same! There's so much more to read here, and the little yellow "new" signs are so tempting. I might have a problem. 

I can't not open the thread if it has "new" next to it. It would bother me too much to just have it hanging out there tempting me... 
    agreed! On the flip side this keeps me from opening threads if I'm not sure it will pertain to me or if I don't have time to read the whole thing then. 
  • @RedInLove yep! The good Ol' hand-hanky especially when sick its great because my hand doesn't scratch my nose like a tissue does if I've been wiping my nose constantly all day.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • @RedInLove yep! The good Ol' hand-hanky especially when sick its great because my hand doesn't scratch my nose like a tissue does if I've been wiping my nose constantly all day.
    Exactly!!! Friction free!!!