Adoption

March 2017 - I adopted / I fostered

edited March 2017 in Adoption
Have you adopted? Did you foster? Are you through the process and now on the other side? If so, please tell us more about yourself and your experiences. 

-What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?

-How long ago?

-What age was the child when adopted (if they were adopted)?

-What are parenting struggles you deal with?

-Any questions?

-Any tips?

Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: March 2017 - I adopted / I fostered

• Have you adopted? Did you foster? Are you through the process and now on the other side? If so, please tell us more about yourself and your experiences. 
    My wife and I are currently foster parents.  We have has four placements in the year we've been licensed.  Currently, we have one 14-month-old girl who we've has since she was 2-months-old and we're in the process of adopting her.

-What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?
    Foster care

-How long ago?
    Still in the process

-What age was the child when adopted (if they were adopted)?
    Hopefully she'll be no older than 2 but she could be as old as 5.

-What are parenting struggles you deal with?
    She was a drug exposed baby so we've had her in early intervention since she was 4-months-old.  She's doing well and only minimally delayed in her milestones.  She has both hypertonia and hypotonia.  She's starting to cruise, but is yet to walk on her own.  We're concerned about her risk of CP and getting a diagnosis sooner rather than later if that's the case.

-Any questions?
    Nope

-Any tips?
    Adoption from foster care is a loooooong, emotional road.  We went in with ideas of what we wanted/thought and have done a complete 180.  We originally said no babies and here we are, a year later, with a child we've raised since almost birth.

• @alihager11  - Sorry to hear that sweet girl had to go through that. Best of luck to you!
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @alihager11 Congrats on starting the adoption process, but I'm sorry you have the medical issues to deal with :(  Are you planning to continue fostering after you adopt your daughter?
  • @britters314 I don't think we're going to continue to foster. It's really tough, especially as two full time parents. It's emotionally taxing as well. We will still continue to supper DCF though through donations of diapers, clothes, etc. 
  • @ali_gator11 I'm lurking here from the IF board with severe MFI and exploring options for our family, being open to how it happens. Incidentally, I have hypotonia and would be happy to share with you my experience growing up with this challenge if it is at all helpful! Message me if that is of use.