March 2017 Moms

Randoms! 2/27

13»

Re: Randoms! 2/27

• @longliveregina no c-section expected, who knows. At least I'm allowed ice chips?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • So excited for all the babies coming! Ahhhhh! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Need advice! I think one or two of you on here are nurses, if not I apologize, but I am trying to plan out a gift for the nurses at my hospital after I deliver and wondered what to get! As a nurse if you are one, what would you appreciate receiving most? As a fellow mother to be, what would you give? Should I do individual baggies or a whole "LnD department" basket? Have you had experience giving a gift after delivery, and how did it go over? I've loved the nurses at every single one of my hospital experiences while the doctors kinda sucked, haha
  • @silverbulletband - I'm not a nurse, but I do work at a hospital.

I know that our hospital's policy would forbid them from accepting anything individual. However, giving something to the unit is ok. So a basket/platter for the department is the way to go. Recommend doing 1 per shift so that the day shift doesn't eat everything and leave nothing for the night shift.

What's even more appreciated is employee recognition. Find out if your hospital has an employee recognition process and fill them out for any nurses that you think were awesome. A lot of hospitals will give employees the opportunity to win prizes (enter into a drawing monthly/yearly) for each recognition slip they get. If not, thank you's are always appreciated too.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• @silverbulletband my mom (nurse) and one of my clients (NICU nurse) agree food is always the best Thank You!
  • @RunBooRun coming in clutch again with the good advice, thank you! I was thinking one basket per shift filled with a couple bags of coffee and baked goods and a card addressed to the whole dept. and will definitely ask for any employee recognition papers. With my first baby I filled out a cool survey and got to name my favorite nurse which I hope helped her!

@samm1225 I can't lie, I would be thrilled to get food too if I were a nurse! 
  • So I have an odd question that I've never remembered to ask my OB. I eat a largely vegetarian diet normally (I'm lactose intolerant and most meat makes me really sick). Its normally pretty rare that I would eat any animal product, but for some reason for my entire pregnancy I have been craving beef like crazy. Despite the fact that beef is the meat that typically causes the most issues for me, I have endulged my cravings and eaten it a fair bit during my pregnancy (which I feel really guilty about for some reason). I haven't had a whole lot of trouble with it making me sick while pregnant. Has anyone else had this experience, or am I just kind of odd?
  • @ShannonJ96 same here- beef is my least favorite meat as it makes me sick to my stomach, and my kids and I largely eat vegetarian at home. I just prefer starches, fruits and vegetables over meat, haha. But all through this pregnancy I have craved steak and cheeseburgers! Im sure there's something to do with a small iron deficiency so the body prompts us to crave iron rich foods. I doubled my vitamin intake recently and stopped craving beef so i'm sure for me i was just needing an iron boost! 
  • serenity13serenity13 member
    edited March 2017
    @ShannonJ96@silverbulletband yep!
    I ate a 90%+ vegetarian/vegan diet pre-pregnancy but all throughout I've wanted more "real" protein like chicken, eggs, cheese, turkey, etc...especially chicken! I still don't eat beef or pork mostly because of health reasons but also can't get over the mental aspect since I love cows & pigs too much haha but I agree that our bodies tend to crave foods we might have a deficiency in and feel like trusting what our gut is telling us to eat usually is best.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @serenity13
    I was in the process of transitioning to a vegan diet when I got pregnant. I'm still irritated with myself for not sticking to it while pregnant, but I fully intend to hop back on the wagon once this baby is out. He's already 2 days late so I'm planning on having a nice big gyro for dinner tonight as my goodbye to eating meat. 

In the meantime I just keep telling my fiance that our son has his father's appetite. Oh the things mothers go through for their children.  :p
  • @ShannonJ96 Definitely not odd. My mom was a vegetarian and then when she got pregnant with me she had a massive craving for ribs. So much for that!
  • Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Went grocery shopping hopefully for the last time before baby comes. I don't know if I could do it again. I got a little lightheaded and needed some food/soda/donuts, and felt soooo much better. But that wore me out. I was gonna do some cleaning/tidying up today too but I just feel like relaxation is key. And I know my sugar levels will probably be through the roof with what I ate. :( 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Speaking of newborn photography- a lady in my MOPs group is a SAHM/photographer on the side and it turns out after looking through her work, she takes really excellent photos! Her prices are reasonable and I like to support the little guy, especially a fellow mom like myself. So I'm asking are the newborn photos worth it and when is the best time to do them after delivery? I hope to include the siblings in at least a few photos and maybe get copies for my in laws and parents! 
  • @silverbulletband I was told that it's best to do them in the first 10 days
  • mecoats I am constantly going to the grocery a tore thinking it's my last run!  Def taken it easy though!

@silverbulletband As @mcdonald-bailey said I've been told 7-10 days. That being said with DS our photographer got sick (said hey im on antibiotics as of this am though - BWAHAHAHA. NO. :| ) so we scrambled to find another photographer and it wored out for when he was 12 days old. They are a bit more lively by then and less malleable but we still had amazing photos and would highly recommend getting some if you can swing it - esp supporting another local mama! Both my nb photographers have been fellow military wives :blush: