September 2017 Moms

FYI: Baby's Development and Forced Sitting, Etc.

ElleKHElleKH member
edited February 2017 in September 2017 Moms
I've been waiting to throw this into an UO Thursday, but it's such an important topic that I feel like it needs a thread of its own. The reason? I had no idea that forced sitting and weight-bearing activities were an issue until I moved out of the US, so it's likely that many of you are unaware of it too. And why this early? Because I know we have some mamas who are already itching to go on their baby shopping sprees and start nesting. :) That is such a wonderful, exciting feeling! I just want to make sure you have at least seen this info before throwing something that you may not actually want into your shopping cart. You may want it all the same and that's fine, but at least you'll be an informed buyer. :) 

In the US, it's so common to buy a Bumbo, an Exersaucer, a Jumperoo, or what-have-you and to use them on a regular basis. And it's no wonder - babies love them and they give busy moms time to get shit done or take a breather. I have no doubt that if we had stayed in the US, we would have had these things in our household. But since living in Europe, where medicine is refreshingly different, I've learned that many health care professionals and many moms advocate letting their babies sit, stand, and walk in their own time. As far as I know, Americans are not informed about the developmental dangers these activities pose to our babies.

So coming from an originally uninformed mama, I feel that it's my responsibility to get this information out to those of you who might not hear about it otherwise. Your decision is ultimately up to you and I'm not going to judge you for it either way. I just want you to be aware of what the experts in several other countries are saying about forced sitting and weight bearing activities. I want you all to be well-informed, come to your own conclusions, and make the decisions that are right for your families. <3 

Here is a helpful link, for those interested in learning more: https://activebabiessmartkids.com.au/articles/please-sit/
ETA another very helpful link, pulled from the comments below: https://mamaot.com/exersaucers-the-good-the-bad-the-better/

And I know this might be a hot topic, so feel free to fire away! Just please keep in mind that the only reason I'm sharing this is because I care about you and your babies, so try not to tear me up too badly. <3 

Re: FYI: Baby's Development and Forced Sitting, Etc.

• I think this is great, and common sense. I will definitely not use a Bumbo! 

The exersaucer suspends the baby in a "standing" position, correct? Where their feet touch the bottom so they can practice jumping and strengthen their legs? Can we discuss this?

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • ElleKHElleKH member
    edited February 2017
    @Sugargirl1019 - Yes! I'm so glad you asked. :) That also falls into the same idea of pushing baby to do something before his/her body is physically ready for it. The position that the Exersaucer puts baby's legs and hips into is actually not correct, so it could end up causing problems. I understand what you mean about strengthening the muscles, but I think (and I'll look it up for you to make sure I have it right) that the muscles are being strengthened while in an improper position and that's why it's problematic. 

Found it! I came across this article before DS was born. It's written by an occupational therapist and mother, and it's wonderful: https://mamaot.com/exersaucers-the-good-the-bad-the-better/

ETA correction: Based on the information in this link, Exersaucers put baby's whole body into the wrong position, hindering correct development.
  • Loading the player...
  • @elleKH  Thank you!

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I love that link. Exersaucers were something I grew up with and saw my siblings in, so it's ingrained in my brain that it's "okay". I love that they provide alternative uses for it before baby reaches the appropriate developmental stage, because let's face it. My mother is probably going to buy one because we were all in one and we turned out just fine haha. 

Thanks for educating me so I can be firm about other silly toys ppl may want to use to keep my baby contained and safe!

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I never used my Bumbo and the Exersaucer was rarely touched...DD did use the latter more when she could stand on her own and it broke apart to make a play table which was cool.
    i found that I used my floor mat the most...just let her roll and do tummy time there. The kicking piano was cool too because she could use it like an excercise mat but then later the piano came...she still plays with that part at 2.5yo. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • ElleKHElleKH member
    edited February 2017
    @Sugargirl1019 - That's exactly how we were raised, so I would never have thought there was anything wrong with it until I found myself raising a baby in a different culture. I'm really, really grateful that my friends over here shared this information with me, and I can't believe it hasn't really had more attention in the US. The US is usually way ahead of the Czech Republic! ;) Buuuuuut profit. These items are extremely popular and usually come with a hefty price tag, so perhaps that's why.

P.S. - My parents also propped me up with pillows at an early age and I now have moderately severe scoliosis as an adult. My sister has a slight curvature. I often wonder if that early forced sitting had something to do with it. Or maybe it was all the accidents and injuries we had as kids. I'll never know for certain. 
  • ElleKHElleKH member
    edited February 2017
    @Texafornian, I missed you back there! It takes me a million years to write responses, so it's no wonder... You mentioned the kicking piano - we borrowed one of those from a friend and the little man loved it! It definitely got him moving around a bit more. He would squirm or roll his way over to it and bat at it with his hands or kick at it with his feet. Great motivation for floor movement and tummy time!
  • Ahhh... all of these are such "normal" baby things. So scary to think they could be damaging baby's development. Thank you for sharing, I've already been given a Bumbo seat! I'll definitely have to do some reading. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Are the exersaucers the same as jumperoos? I know the door frame jumpers are bad for legs/hip development but I'm not sure jumperoos are in the same category or if they're a crossover? DS absolutely adored his jumperoo and we'll be using it again with the next kid. I'm really not that concerned about potential injuries, especially since the gist of the article was 'don't be a neglectful parent and use the exersaucer as a babysitter all the time.' 
  • @Becky012016 - The construction is different, but the problems of body positioning are the same. The article in the original post advises not using them at all. The second article linked in a comment below advises, if you choose to use them, limit use to 15 minutes a day.
  • @HollyGolightly09 - I know! It was a big shock to me too! I would never have known if some other moms hadn't clued me in.
  • @Sugargirl1019 Probably not- I was in an exersaucer as a baby, and I was a competitive gymnast for 13 years. Of course, that's not necessarily a great thing. I have major hip, knee, and lower back problems that I always attributed to gymnastics, but they may have started earlier, who knows?  

@ElleKH Thanks for posting this, I have a lot of reading to do!

• @amandarene112 - You're welcome! :) 
  • *I'm not trying to start anything :) *
    So it seems in the first link in the op the problem with walkers and bumbos is that the infant is unable to move their legs freely. Makes sense this would slow development. However, with jumperoos (I don't have experience with exersaucers, though they seem to have the same construction for the seat) the seat is cloth and molds to the child's body. You aren't supposed to use the product at all until the child is able to stand flat-footed while in the seat so it's more of a support for not falling over than a baby positioner. I'm not a physical therapist but it seems like a cloth seat that supports the child from falling while maintaining a large range of motion is different than a product that positions limbs into a forced position with little range of motion.  

• @Becky012016 - To each their own, mama! You do you. :)
  • Yeah I never used a bumbo either it just didn't look right to me, I never felt comfortable with those. my ped straight up told me not to use any positioner forcing him to sit or stand until he was already doing those things he was mostly in his mama roo until he started sitting up 
  • @HollyGolightly09 and @Becky012016 - According to the second article, you want to prevent either position. I'll drop some quotes here...

Issue: "Exersaucers encourage babies to stand by locking out their knees in order to compensate for weakness because they’re placed in a standing position before they are ready for it. They also cause babies to bear weight on their toes instead of on their whole foot, which is known to contribute to the over-development of calf muscles and, if severe, can lead to toe walking."

Compromise: "
    Place a pillow under baby’s feet so she’s not totally flat-footed or tippie-toed. We don’t want to promote either position. I learned this tip from child development guru Laura Sobell. Just keep an eye on baby’s feet to make sure she’s not standing with them in an abnormal position, like ankles rolled over or toes tucked under."
  • @lap018 - I'm glad to hear that, and I'm actually not surprised if you're from where I think you're from. (Sorry, I'm still getting to know everyone.) Are you from Canada? This information seems more prevalent in Canada, Europe, and Australia than it is in the US.
  • @ElleKH nope I'm in the US, in TN. I just read a lot about that stuff and luckily have a great ped!
  • I bought a bumbo but hardly used it with my DS because I also read it could harm their own development or siting. 
    I didn't buy an exersaucer or a jumper but I did have an activity table thing that is like an exersaucer? I don't know what it's called. I didn't use it until he could sit up and had upper body control. We also only had him in it for maybe 10minutes at most during the day. He didn't really like either of them. 
    I didn't read these articles but I read a lot of articles by pediatric OTs about how it hurts development so I didn't buy a lot of "props". I think this is great info to pass along! 
  • mcdoug211 said:
    Maybe mine is an uo but we used an excersaucer a lot with my daughter and a "bumbo" type seat on rare occasions she sat, crawled, stood and walked long before the average, she also spent a lot of time on the floor. It's more about being responsible and not letting them stay in it all day
    Exactly! DS loved his walker..everyone told me don't put him in that he won't walk.. 9 months he was walking. 
  • @kelseyrayay she loooved hers too! She was full on walking by 9 months. I think as long as your smart don't be worried to use something 
  • mcdoug211 said:
    Maybe mine is an uo but we used an excersaucer a lot with my daughter and a "bumbo" type seat on rare occasions she sat, crawled, stood and walked long before the average, she also spent a lot of time on the floor. It's more about being responsible and not letting them stay in it all day
    Yes! We didn't have a Bumbo, but we used everything else; my daughter was sitting/crawling at 4 months, walking 9 months, and at nearly 2 has no problems yet. It's totally about being responsible about the amount of time they're used.
  • @Becky012016 - I appreciate your skepticism! It's important to ask questions and look into things like this. And I understand your suspicions about the author offering alternative products. But the thing is, if I were an occupational therapist and a mother, and if proper child development was my passion and life calling, I would want to share healthy alternatives with other parents too. Because, like she said, people and babies love these devices and they're probably not going to stop using them, even though that's what seems best in her professional opinion. So she's trying to find a compromise: offering less harmful options, limiting time spent in them, and offering suggestions to make the time spent in them healthier. And for those reasons, I tend to believe her.

I also want to address a valid point brought up by you and @jutondreau. You mentioned not being able to find peer-reviewed material. Sadly, that doesn't really surprise me since, like I said in before, because this is such a widely accepted and even promoted practice in the US - The Bump itself and most American pediatricians recommend early forced sitting and weight bearing activities - I wouldn't expect there to be much out there. But please keep in mind that just because it is accepted as the norm in the US, that does not mean that it is the norm everywhere. There are other places in the world where people have studied this more and have published their findings, leading to a change in what doctors recommend and what parents do. The problem I ran into here is finding information in English to share with the rest of you. I can find you a ton of material in Czech, but that's not going to help most of you. 

I understand that different perspectives are sometimes hard to swallow, especially when it goes against everything you assumed was normal. It was a big shock for me when we moved over here too. But honestly, I have to tell you, the Czechs do this better. (And I can't say that about everything, but in this case, it's true.) At 6 weeks, every baby attends a quick ultrasound screening of the hip joints. If something is wrong, parents are advised immediately as to what should be done to try to fix the problem early and prevent more serious issues from developing. I've never heard of this being done in the US, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Doctors pay very close attention to the position of baby's entire body at every check up: when on their back, on their belly, rolling both directions, creeping, crawling, sitting, standing, and walking. If anything, even the smallest thing, seems off, baby and parents are sent to a physical therapist to address the issue(s). Physical therapists teach parents to use Vojta's Method, massage, and other exercises to help baby overcome these developmental stumbling blocks and get back to normal developmental patterns. This is something that we just don't offer in the US, as far as I know, and I am very grateful that we live here, even though it's hard to be so far from family and friends back home. I truly feel that my baby is in better hands here.

That being said, I honestly just want to pass what I've learned here onto you other mamas who may not have access to this perspective otherwise. Again, you are free to choose what is best for you, your babies, and your families. I have absolutely no say in that. But I believe in sharing knowledge, and I hope that if any of you come across anything that goes against the grain, but seems important, that you'll do the rest of us the favor of sharing it and letting us make our own decisions about it. One of the big reasons many of us are here is to love, support, and help one another. That's all I'm truly interested in doing. <3 
  • ElleKHElleKH member
    edited February 2017
    @mcdoug211 - No, honey, you definitely hold the popular opinion in this case. It's the information I'm offering that's going to be less popular. ;) What you said is very important: many parents choose to employ these methods because they push baby to reach milestones earlier. But that's not necessarily a good thing. I know that's hard to hear and I'm not trying to attack you, your experiences, or your beliefs. I'm someone who tries to actively avoid confrontation, but I really feel that this information is important. Sometimes we need to ask questions, take a closer look, and be open to a different perspective, which is why I brought it up.

The argument of the material I've presented is that it's better to let nature take its course and let baby's body decide when it's the right time to crawl, sit, stand, etc. If pushed too early, baby's body isn't ready for it yet. The muscles used in each step of their development are crucial to them being ready for and reaching the next milestone. That's why tummy time is so important at the very beginning. It strengthens the core muscles, the neck, and so on, to prepare baby for pivoting, rolling, scooting, and everything else that comes after. And those activities, in turn, strengthen and prepare the body for crawling, sitting, standing, and walking. So the idea here is to let nature do her thing because she knows best. :) 

Child development isn't a race. Even though we're advised against it, parents often end up comparing the development of their own children to those of others. But keep in mind that, with the exception of children with developmental issues, every child is going to reach those milestones in their own time. So basically, that's what this is all about: the importance of letting each child go at their own pace.

ETA @kelseyrayray and @gabby94 - I meant to address you here too, since it applies to what you've said. Again, not an attack, just a different perspective. Please don't be angry.
  • @Texafornian - I love your point of view! Well said!

@lap018 - Sorry! I have no idea why I thought you were Canadian. Chalk it up to goldfish brain. ;) But I'm really glad to hear that you have such a great ped!

@jessieR358 - I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you and @lap018 have already had access to this information! Honestly, I'm relieved. Parents can choose either way, but at least provide them with info on both sides!
  • ElleKHElleKH member
    edited February 2017
    For those of you not super pissed at me (sorry!) and wanting to look into this more, you may want to check out Eva Kierdroňová. I found some info about her in English. She's the baby physical therapy bigwig over here. Every mom I know has her book or borrowed a copy of it when their babies were little. They don't follow all the suggestions she makes and neither did we, but a lot of them made sense to us and I was happy to have the information and the insight. Here is a link about her and her work: https://evakiedronova.cz/en/profile/

ETA ^Click on "Method" under "EK Concept."

I also have a good friend in Australia who is a midwife. I'll ask her for her opinion, if she has any additional information or knows of any peer-reviewed sources.
  • I agree @SugarRush

Also id like to add no hard feelings towards anyone with a different opinion. In the end you are gonna do what you find best for your child. 
  • sugarrushsugarrush member
    edited February 2017
    @jessieR358  If you make the decision to go with or against your pediatrician's medical advice, then I agree that its your choice because you are going to do what you think is best for your child.  I don't agree, however, that posting it online as "don't do this because it will harm your baby in xyz way" should be taken as medical advice unless it is an article from a medical professional (and even "medical professional" is sometimes questionable on articles online).  Everyone is going to make choices for their own baby, yes.  But there is a really thin line about presenting information as factual medical advice that has been researched and results presented versus "this is my experience and what worked for us so this must be what everyone should know as the truth" that is often misconstrued.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker