September 2017 Moms

Stupid Questions 2/25

13»

Re: Stupid Questions 2/25

• UO here, I didn't think the video monitor was worth it and we had a great one. I had a two floor house and still hated using it. We co slept so that could have been part of it, but even for play time. I could definitely see how it would be great. Despite that, we are thinking off getting the Nest one, as well as the Nest thermostat but that's so FI can see babe when he's at work and not to show the whole room/house just like the playroom  

Canadian Bumpie - Texas bound
    DS #1 [S-5]
    3 Step Daughters [A-8] [E-6] [I-4]
    Baby #2 09/10/2017 
    It's a BOY! 
    Babywearer&EBF
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I know this has come up before but what are those of you with tailbone pain doing for relief?? It's soooo bad. Laying on my back hurts it bad. I usually sleeping on my side anyways but I'm so uncomfortable! I thought this stuff is supposed to come later in the pregnancy???  :s
    April Siggy Challenge--Creepy Easter Bunny

• Loading the player...
  • juliebeannnjuliebeannn member
    edited March 2017
    @bassoondiva  Double reed instruments unite! I played the oboe in middle/high school.  Love it!  My cousin-in-law plays the bassoon professionally and is expecting her first on the same day as me!!  Yay band geeks.  (end thread-jack)
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • I play violin! Yay orchestra?

I am so so close to starting an amazon baby registry. BUT.
    1) I want that baby box they give you
    2)it says you need to sign up for prime to get that box 
    3) I want to sign up for prime but not right now because it's not worth it right now. Hoping to make that 30 day free trial work for me.
    4) I can sign up for free prime trial whenever .. but will I get the baby box if I do it a few months from now?

I just want to play!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Breath_Easy92Breath_Easy92 member
    edited March 2017
    I gotta jump on the stupid question train (sorry I don't know answers to anyone else's questions I'm probably the most uninformed pregnant lady ever :
    1. So I'm already in maternity pants at 13 weeks.... it's my first baby does this mean I'm going to be the size of a house at 9 months? I feel like I should be smaller but I've only gained 3 pounds.

2. Does anyone know when it's starts getting uncomfortable to sleep in your back?

3. My symptoms are mainly gone and I can't feel him move yet, how am I suppose to know hes okay in there? lol every little twinge and pain I think something is wrong. (I will admit though I think I'm really depressed and I'm talking to my doc about it next appointment and I think it's not helping my anxiety)

• I know this has come up before but what are those of you with tailbone pain doing for relief?? It's soooo bad. Laying on my back hurts it bad. I usually sleeping on my side anyways but I'm so uncomfortable! I thought this stuff is supposed to come later in the pregnancy???  :s
    So I was at my OB yesterday and I asked him about this. He gave me a brochure with some back exercises--already doing those and not really helping. it also said a firm mattress. He said I'm too early for a maternity belt but that could help. He said if all else, he would refer me to a women's health PT to help. If mine gets worse I am going to take him up on it! Prenatal yoga is helping some. 
  • I gotta jump on the stupid question train (sorry I don't know answers to anyone else's questions I'm probably the most uninformed pregnant lady ever :
    1. So I'm already in maternity pants at 13 weeks.... it's my first baby does this mean I'm going to be the size of a house at 9 months? I feel like I should be smaller but I've only gained 3 pounds.

2. Does anyone know when it's starts getting uncomfortable to sleep in your back?

3. My symptoms are mainly gone and I can't feel him move yet, how am I suppose to know hes okay in there? lol every little twinge and pain I think something is wrong. (I will admit though I think I'm really depressed and I'm talking to my doc about it next appointment and I think it's not helping my anxiety)

Quoting because I'm having a hell of a time trying to tag you for some reason. You are probably just really bloated, it's hard to tell where you will carry when further along! Some carry high and don't stick out much at all and others (like myself) carry low and stick out so bad they're wider than they are tall lol. it just depends! 
  • @LaceyC1020 and @jessieR358 I have suffered from tailbone pain in the past, pre-pregnancy (this is my first pregnancy and so far so good with the tailbone pain). Things that worked for me: a cushion (I use the tush cush), avoiding sitting as much as possible (if it's possible for you to stand at work at least part of the day, try that), and seeing a women's health PT. I will say that the women's health PT is not the most pleasant experience, but it was really helpful for me. I continue to use a tailbone cushion now and with that I am mostly pain free (flare ups here and there). Side benefit of the women's health PT is that you will come out of it with a stronger pelvic floor, which will help you when it comes to delivering the baby!
  • @LaceyC1020 have you tried the chiropractor? I had terrible back pain all throughout my 1st PG. I worked at a daycare in the nursery so I was lifting, sometimes 8 different, babies/toddlers all day long. This PG, I work a desk job now, I've already gone to the chiro and I've felt so much better since! Made sure my OB approved before I went. I highly recommend trying that. My chiro also gave me great stretches to do at home. 

Some of the other ladies here have gotten a special cushion for their chairs from amazon. 
  • @Breath_Easy92 1. Some women get big fast and then the growth tapers off. Others don't seem to grow ever at all. And some just keep getting bigger and bigger for what seems like will be forever. With my first I looked super pregnant at like 10 weeks but then for the next several months I didn't seem to grow at all. Baby was basically replacing bloat.
    2. As far as back discomfort, for me it never really happened but I would imagine that it happens during the second trimester when your organs really start to move around and baby puts pressure on all the wrong places. But then again @laceyc1020 and @jessieR358 are already experiencing it (so sorry ladies :( ) so I guess it could happen any time.
    3. I've heard so many women say to appreciate the lack of symptoms but if you're dealing with mental health stuff that's just not helpful advice. If you're dealing with these things now you're at increased risk of PPD or PPA. Definitely check in with the doc about your depression and anxiety symptoms and maybe seek counseling if you're not already. Of course reflect on your triggers and coping mechanisms and ramp up your self care. Personally I find that yoga helps me a ton with all the mental things. It also just puts my more in touch with my body so I'm hopeful that when baby does start to move I'll be more aware earlier on. I've heard a lot of talk about fetal dopplers but I would probably avoid those because if you can't find the heartbeat it will just ramp up your anxiety.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @rhubarb123 my OB just mentioned a women's health PT this week if my pain doesn't get better. Do they do internal stuff or just exterior stretches?
    it isn't as intense as it was a couple weeks ago. I've been doing a little bit more yoga so maybe that is helping. And I do so much sitting at work ugh.  

• I am so so close to starting an amazon baby registry. BUT.
    1) I want that baby box they give you

I got the box and I was underwhelmed. I had a half off promo code, so it was only about $10. But I knew it was going to come with a bottle of 30 of the prenatal I'm already taking (so about a $10 value there). Other than the prenatal vitamin I already take, the only other thing I liked in there was the Preggie pop drops (for nausea). If I wasn't sure I was going to buy something in the box (and thus the box was free), I wouldn't have bothered. 

but, I wouldn't see why the free Prime trial wouldn't let you do the box.

You can also pay by month with Prime (cheaper per month to do the year, but if you're on the fence about it).
  • @jessieR358 they do a combination of stretching/exercises with internal manual therapy...for tailbone pain sometimes the internal therapy is vaginally and sometimes it's rectally (I've had both). It's awkward/uncomfortable at first, but I had two really great therapists (I did two different rounds of PT) who made it much more pleasant.
  • Has anyone purchased any "pregnancy bras?" I have read recommendations a number of places to buy a pregnancy bra and this seems to be distinct from a nursing bra. However wherever I look I can't find anything except nursing bras. While I know I'll need nursing bras eventually, at 14 weeks now I doubt I'll need the same size bra when I'm actually nursing, so I don't want to buy any now. However, my current bras are snug and I'd like to buy something new that will accomodate continually growing breasts.  Any ideas?
  • Has anyone purchased any "pregnancy bras?" I have read recommendations a number of places to buy a pregnancy bra and this seems to be distinct from a nursing bra. However wherever I look I can't find anything except nursing bras. While I know I'll need nursing bras eventually, at 14 weeks now I doubt I'll need the same size bra when I'm actually nursing, so I don't want to buy any now. However, my current bras are snug and I'd like to buy something new that will accomodate continually growing breasts.  Any ideas?
    I wouldn't buy a pregnancy bra. I would buy a regular bra in your new size right now. Everyone told me to get nursing bras and I had all these bras I couldn't wear when I needed to nurse! 
    I would just buy 1 or 2 new bras with each change in size. I have so many different sizes. 
    I wouldn't buy a pregnancy bra. I would buy a regular bra in your new size right now. Everyone told me to get nursing bras and I had all these bras I couldn't wear when I needed to nurse! 
    I would just buy 1 or 2 new bras with each change in size. I have so many different sizes. 
    I did this too @jessieR358 and it turned out to be a blessing. My boobs actually fluctuated size A LOT after we started nursing, so I've gone between about 3 sizes in the last year. Kinda sucks to always buy new bras but it's so nice when you have the sizes you need 
  • I agree with @jessieR358, you will need nursing bras but you will not need a bunch of bras that won't fit you throughout your breastfeeding journey and don't allow you easy access to nurse in just seems like a waste 
  • My stupid question, is there a medication to permanently turn off the snot in my nose? Ok I'm not serious but I am about to have to stick tampons up my nose all day every day just to keep the snot from literally dripping down my face like a faucet. I am so done, I need some sleep
  • lap018 said:
    My stupid question, is there a medication to permanently turn off the snot in my nose? Ok I'm not serious but I am about to have to stick tampons up my nose all day every day just to keep the snot from literally dripping down my face like a faucet. I am so done, I need some sleep
    this is something nobody warned me about last time and it is killing me again this time. THE SNOT is just unbelievable. 
  • @jessieR358 I totally forgot that Nordstrom did that! I think they'll also alter bras in general if you bought them there...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • @Texafornian I love Nordstrom! 
  • I have some stupid questions for my STM+ here!

1) When did your kid/kids start getting molars? DS is 14 months and his molar area on the bottom is SUPER swollen and red and I see a white line like a tooth is coming up but for some reason I'm scared it's like an infection or something lol. He's got four teeth on the bottom, but then it skips a few spaces and looks like a molar is coming in. 

2) We're quite a bit late to the whole food train here, he had a LOT of problems with his gag reflex, to the point where if I would even give him the tiniest piece of anything he would gag until he threw up. Shortly after his first birthday that went away but we're playing catch-up with foods.. my slightly gross question is... how much undigested food is normal to see in a diaper? I know things like corn and mandarin oranges don't digest well, but I see a lot of undigested food like tomatoes and peaches and stuff.. we are switching pediatricians and I fully plan on asking all of these questions when we can get in. 

3) Did your LO turn yellow after eating sweet potatoes and carrots? DS' whole body turns yellow. We had his bilirubin levels checked and that's normal, but I'm thinking we'll have a full work up done because everyone comments on how yellow he is. We've cut way back on sweet potatoes and carrots and that seems to help but he's still kind of yellow in the fold of his neck and stuff. I've asked three doctors and nobody has any answers except diet. Hence why we are switching pediatricians... just waiting to get in with he new one. It's not even like he ate ridiculous amounts of them.. probably normal amounts for a baby trying new foods?

Sorry this got got so long... thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and answer lol
  • I have some stupid questions for my STM+ here!

1) When did your kid/kids start getting molars? DS is 14 months and his molar area on the bottom is SUPER swollen and red and I see a white line like a tooth is coming up but for some reason I'm scared it's like an infection or something lol. He's got four teeth on the bottom, but then it skips a few spaces and looks like a molar is coming in. 

2) We're quite a bit late to the whole food train here, he had a LOT of problems with his gag reflex, to the point where if I would even give him the tiniest piece of anything he would gag until he threw up. Shortly after his first birthday that went away but we're playing catch-up with foods.. my slightly gross question is... how much undigested food is normal to see in a diaper? I know things like corn and mandarin oranges don't digest well, but I see a lot of undigested food like tomatoes and peaches and stuff.. we are switching pediatricians and I fully plan on asking all of these questions when we can get in. 

3) Did your LO turn yellow after eating sweet potatoes and carrots? DS' whole body turns yellow. We had his bilirubin levels checked and that's normal, but I'm thinking we'll have a full work up done because everyone comments on how yellow he is. We've cut way back on sweet potatoes and carrots and that seems to help but he's still kind of yellow in the fold of his neck and stuff. I've asked three doctors and nobody has any answers except diet. Hence why we are switching pediatricians... just waiting to get in with he new one. It's not even like he ate ridiculous amounts of them.. probably normal amounts for a baby trying new foods?

Sorry this got got so long... thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and answer lol
    1. My DS is a week younger than yours and just cut his first bottom molar this week. 

2. Skins are normally not digested well so the tomato in his poop would be normal. 

3. Orange foods are that color due to carotenoids. Fancy word for orange coloring. Its completely harmless and will go away with time so long as you limit those foods. His orange tint is just from the carotenoids being in his system. 
  • @Becky012016 that makes me feel better about the molar! And kind of the undigested food too, it's just weird when I see soooo much of it! And for the carotenoids, I kind of figured but I can't help but be concerned, his skin is almost always yellow! It's just hard not to over think it lol
  • I'm wearing nursing sleep bras. They aren't super supportive (but I'm a SAHM, so who cares) but they are comfortable and super stretchy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also love the video monitor. Mainly for when they are bigger and quiet in there, it doesn't always mean they are sleeping! ;) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BookitBoo we just went to Disney in February. It is not on the list of Zika infected places. As of recently Miami has been taken off the list too, (although IMO I would still avoid it). That being said, I find Disney to be pretty mosquito free for the most part. We have gone 4 times in the last 3 years and haven't gotten any bites. When Zika became a threat last year I know they began spraying more to keep ahead of the problem as well. My advice is, wear bug spray, and don't wear any perfumes or any lotions with perfumes in them that would attract mosquito's. Also obviously discuss with your Doctor. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    XoXo, Dee
  • So although this is my second pregnancy I still feel very much like I do not know the ins and outs of pregnancy. My question has to do with prenatal testing. 

My obgyn office only does two ultrasounds. One at 9 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I am PGAL but am not AMA nor high risk. I've had bloodwork but not any testing for birth defects, etc.

I see a lot of people talking about NT scans and I have not had this done in either pregnancy. Are these usually done only if you are high risk? 

Thanks is advance! 
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited March 2017
    @Msashley2010 I didn't get an NT scan either. It seems it's by doctor or office preference. And then I think AMA may have it recommended for them too. I also won't be getting an ultrasound until my anatomy scan around 20 weeks.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Msashley2010 As I understand it, the NT scan is most often suggested for women who will be 35 by the time the baby is born, or if there's a history within the family
  • @Msashley2010 My OB said that the NT scan was optional, but my insurance covers it, so I decided to do it. I think it's up to the doctor if they even bring it up. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • edited March 2017
    @Msashley2010 My OB said that the NT scan was optional, but my insurance covers it, so I decided to do it. I think it's up to the doctor if they even bring it up. 
    This. It's an optional screening test. With my first pregnancy my insurance didn't cover it so I didn't do it. We switched insurance and now it's covered so I'm doing it. My doctor doesn't offer the blood work  (like harmony) unless your over 35 or have risk factors so I figured I will do the NT. I've heard it's becoming less frequent and is being replaced by the blood testing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So although this is my second pregnancy I still feel very much like I do not know the ins and outs of pregnancy. My question has to do with prenatal testing. 

My obgyn office only does two ultrasounds. One at 9 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I am PGAL but am not AMA nor high risk. I've had bloodwork but not any testing for birth defects, etc.

I see a lot of people talking about NT scans and I have not had this done in either pregnancy. Are these usually done only if you are high risk? 

Thanks is advance! 
    I asked my doctor about this yesterday, and he said they normally only offer them to high risk and AMA. Since I brought it up, he asked if I wanted it done, but then also said the things they find during the NT can also be seen at the AS. So I elected not to do it; I didn't check to see if my insurance covered it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Msashley2010 my office offered NT last time and this time and I did/am doing them because it's covered by my insurance. But I think like others have said, it's ultimately up to the clinic whether they offer them routinely or not. Just like some clinics do tons of ultrasounds and some just do a couple the whole time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank you everyone for the input! 
  • @daniellelynette 1) my DD is 2.5 today and still only has two of four molars. I'd say the top two came in simultaneously about 4 months ago. 2) peaches and tomatoes might be tough to break down if the skin is still there... 3) no advice other than too many carrots make most people's skin orange...so could just affect him faster. 
    jena333 said:
    Msashley2010 As I understand it, the NT scan is most often suggested for women who will be 35 by the time the baby is born, or if there's a history within the family
    ^^this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • My doctor recommends the NT scan (called IPS ultrasound up here) for every pregnancy unless you really don't want it for some reason. I've never heard of anyone not being offered it around here.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Maybe it a state by state or Doc by Doc, but I had a NT scan with my first pregnancy at 31 yrs old and not high risk and Im having my NT scan for this pregnancy scan next week 34 yrs old and not High Risk. All of my friends who have had children and all different OB's have also had the NT scan and according to my Dr "its not just for high risk it is recommended for all pregnant women although it is in fact optional." At the end of the day I'm sure everyone's doctor does what they think is right for their patient and possibly its more common where I live (New York). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    XoXo, Dee
  • My doctor also recommends the NT scan for all pregnancies. My insurance company covers it too which is nice (and I'm not a high risk, 29 years old) so we decided to do it. Im currently in WI but moving to NC. My sister is pregnant in NC and her doctor didn't offer the NT scan for her second pregnancy and her insurance wouldn't cover it either so who knows!