June 2017 Moms

Random Wednesday GTKY: First drink post baby

2»

Re: Random Wednesday GTKY: First drink post baby

• ANYTHING! I'LL DRINK ANYTHING! This topic is so apt, coz I was just googling how to make this pump and dump thing work for me so that I can get some drinks in at the next big function post-baby...which is unfortunately 1.5 months after the LO is born. Is that too soon to be pumping and dumping? Promise I don't mean to come off as a bad and irresponsible mother...I'm just a FTM trying to figure this stuff out as I go along! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A few glasses of prosecco or wine...or a margarita...or a red beer...basically, I'll drink just about anything. I cannot wait.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a friend who said they would smuggle me in some wine into the hospital. Since its the summer it will probably be something white and light. At home I want those Bud Light margaritas! I love the raspberry and cranberry ones. I missed the cranberry ones at Christmas time this year. I got a little sad every time we walked past the case in the store.

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • MithK said:
    ANYTHING! I'LL DRINK ANYTHING! This topic is so apt, coz I was just googling how to make this pump and dump thing work for me so that I can get some drinks in at the next big function post-baby...which is unfortunately 1.5 months after the LO is born. Is that too soon to be pumping and dumping? Promise I don't mean to come off as a bad and irresponsible mother...I'm just a FTM trying to figure this stuff out as I go along! 
    You don't need to "pump and dump". The alcohol will leave the milk after (how long? Someone who doesn't already have mommy brain help me out here) some period of time and then it will be safe to pump and give it to baby. 
  • I use the rule 1 hr per drink rule which is conservative. I have friends that will drink one glass of wine while nursing. Also you do not need to dump milk. If you are concerned about alcohol content mix it with othe pumped milk to further dilute it. I didnt know this last time and I drank on my birthday and dumped 10 oz of milk down the drain. Which resulted in mommy guilt and tears. Dont do this to yourself.
    I will be drinking champagne! 
  • As soon as possible, a glass of wine. Once I can get myself to a restaurant, a margarita! Mmmm. 
  • I'm not even a big drinker but I am looking forward to some celebratory Prosecco right away and then when we go to a restaurant, a margarita!

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • I'm loving how many beer lovers we have in here!  I always feel like the odd one out with my girlfriends as I'm just not the biggest booze fan, so if we ever deviate from wine I'm just not as interested in drinking martinis and weight conscious 'skinny' drinks... although, you don't have to twist my arm on liquor if it is good quality tequila  ;)
  • Oh and a real Bloody Mary. I've had a few virgin ones and I'm needing the real deal. 
  • Normally I'd say Moscato or Rosè, but it's been too long since I've had a drink. I'll take a crown and coke, make it a double. 

Who said peach vodka and lemonade? That sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try that.
  • MrsLa3 said:
    Normally I'd say Moscato or Rosè, but it's been too long since I've had a drink. I'll take a crown and coke, make it a double. 

Who said peach vodka and lemonade? That sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try that.
    Me! It's soooo good... any fruit flavored vodka with lemonade actually, peach just happens to be my favorite  :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • DH and I will probably celebrate with champagne first.
    Next, I'll be enjoying a six pack (not all at once) of Fat Head's Bumbleberry (aka the best beer in the world). The night before my BFP we were at the bar and I told DH I had to get a Bumbleberry because I might be pregnant tomorrow.. I was right & to this day I'm happy I had one that night.

@BellaO21 Close to your favorite: I really like bacardi razz, peach schnapps and lemonade. So refreshing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What is this about these beers upping milk production? How does that work?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • meilay said:
    What is this about these beers upping milk production? How does that work?
    I think it's the yeast and barley in dark beers that is supposed to increase production. 
  • I'll be having either sweet wine like moscato or riesling, or a rum and coke.  But probs not for a while because I don't drink while nursing, at least not until they can go a few hours in between so the alcohol is completely gone.  Just a personal choice.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Can we have this thread pinned so we all remember these delicious suggestions from each other.   Not gonna lie peach vodka and lemonade sounds legit.  But I'll forget by then!  :p
  • michaela0704michaela0704 member
    edited February 2017
    @meilay it's the hops that are a galactagogue... hence the IPA, heavy IPA

Also, brewer's yeast is the 'active' ingredient in lactation cookies, but in beer you want/need the hops.

https://herblore.com/overviews/list-of-galactagogues-herbs-that-increase-breastmilk-production

• Any thing. I really want a drink. 
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• I have a bottle of a strong red wine that has been waiting for me. Then I will move on to margaritas and sangria! Sangria was my first drink last time. It was great!!

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• @meilay it's the hops that are a galactagogue... hence the IPA, heavy IPA

Also, brewer's yeast is the 'active' ingredient in lactation cookies, but in beer you want/need the hops.

https://herblore.com/overviews/list-of-galactagogues-herbs-that-increase-breastmilk-production

No wonder I had oversupply with DS...all those double IPAs! 
  • HgPaHgPa member
    edited February 2017
    My fave local brewery has a juniper ale, Norse Necter, that I love when it's hot out.

I've been wanting a glass of red wine so bad lately. My husband was drinking a Tempranillo and it smelled so good.

Hopefully it's actually summer here by late May/early June, in which case pink bubbly all the way!
  • Speaking of the flavored vodkas. Our friends had caramel vodka and sweet tea at their wedding. Delicious.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• @HgPa, how much do I need to bribe you to get a 6 pack or case of that Norse Nectar?

Celebratory drink: (better than a push present imho) will be a G&T. I mean, it has to be right, since I'm naming my firstborn after the key difference between Vodka and Gin - Juniper. Though I may settle for a good gin martini.

Nursing drinking will definitely include a weekly beer or two, to increase my supply of course.

You guys may have sold me on sangria's though...
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • For those concerned about alcohol in breast milk I highly recommend these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018LRDIM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488103247&sr=8-1&keywords=breastmilk+test+strips

I used them to learn my tolerances and I found that I could have 1-2 glasses of wine or one mixed drink without alcohol entering the breast milk.  No pumping and dumping.  

For those of you who want extra cushion, the best time to have a drink is when your baby is nursing.  The alcohol you consume won't have time to get into the milk your baby is drinking and you have the maximum amount of time to process before they eat again.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @danijo and @kahlan82 both of those drinks sound amazing! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  •  I really want a Mai Tai. I've been craving them since this showed up on my time hop from last year. Ugh 
  • So much champagne. 
  • @Xath I forgot those test steps were a thing! Last time I was too paranoid and pretty much didn't drink until dd was sleeping through the night and I knew i had 12 hours to get it out of my system. Totally unnecessary. I should get some so I can have peace of mind about doing what I know is ok and drinking earlier.
  • @TGmomtobe90 now I really miss the Caribean... and Mai Tai's... lol I had a dream last night that I was back in the Dominican. Apparently I really need another vacation lol  
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I know this is over a year away but we are planning an adults only trip for spring break next year (one friend is a teacher so spring break is when she is off) and I'm daydreaming of all the yummy drinks now.  Piña colada, strawberry dawuairi and all the margaritas! There will be lots of pumping and dumping because I probably won't want to store and bring back a weeks worth of milk from Mexico. I'll also totally bring my hand pump and pump at the beach so I don't have to do back to the room every 3-4 hours.  Sorry that got off topic but that's where my mind went today! 
  • A lemon drop.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Last time, MIL brought me a six pack of Mother's Milk Stout to Germany, 5 days after DS was born! It was a great gift (arranged by DH). I'm craving some bubbly or a glass of Barolo this time, but since DH works in craft beer, I will likely "settle" for something yummy that he says will help milk production. (I don't do hoppy beers, so probably another milk stout.)
  • Mmmm so many choices:
    mikes lime
    hard cider
    door county wine
    armetto sour
    frozen drink like strawberry daquari

it will depend upon whatever I actually have at hand when I feel comfortable enough to drink with dealing with a new baby and breastfeeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker