August 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Random President's Day Edition

Comments? Questions? Rants? Raves?

Re: Weekly Random President's Day Edition

• Options
    I'm nesting like a crazy lady! I'm not buying anything for the baby yet (but already picked everything) but in the last couple weeks bought a new couch, coffee table, rug, and sleepnumber bed. Today I'm going out for more! I can't wait to start the baby's room but I have this irrational thought that I should wait until after the anatomy scan. 
  • Options
    I love these lesser-utilized holidays because my public transit commute is always so much easier. 

We went to the Chicago Auto Show yesterday too. DH's kind of a "car guy" and had picked out three sedans that he claims we can afford. Right now our only car is his sporty two-door Volvo that's 6 or 7 years old. I'm going to give it the good ole college try with getting a car seat back there (Europeans have kids in tiny cars, after all). But, that car is paid off, and the thought of getting a new car- with a car loan- just to accommodate a child offends my frugal sensibilities. But... one of the ones he picked out... is soooo niiiiiiice. We just keep repeating, car loan car loan car loan.... 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 yesssss. So much easier to find parking at the hospital since administration is off. 
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 I think it can be done! Right now I'm planning on driving the infant around in a Mini Cooper. Not sure if it's going to be able to seat a passenger with a car seat in the back...but I really don't want to give up my 38mpg or paid off car. The mini is so fun to drive!

Maybe you can stretch the coupe for six months or a year, at that time go for the sedan? I think that's what I'm going to do with my Mini. 

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think small cars will be fine until they're in the convertible seat. When they get bigger and don't want to be in the car seat, it's hard, but it's so easy to just clip them in the base when they're in the carrier
  • Options
    DS may have hand foot and mouth. So that's fucking awesome. He had it at 8 mos and got it from daycare. It was very minimal. Just a couple sores. He was still on the boob so I assume that helped him fight it off. Today he had a rash on his right hand. But that's it. Took him to daycare and the teachers said it looked more like contact dermatitis and that they would keep an eye on it all. He played a lot with bubbles yesterday and held the wand in that hand for the most part so I hope that's it. But I had a checkup at the OB today and told him my concerns. He said I would have to pretty much be quarantined if he does have it. That the coxsaxkie virus can be VERY bad for pregnant women and esp their babies. It can stunt growth or even kill the fetus. So I'm a little freaked out over here. DH is like it's not a big deal.... um ok dick. It kind of is. 

@mango17 my sept 15 birth month had a couple mini coopers and they all said it worked great for infant and toddler seats!
  • Options
    @DeansGirl14 @Mango517 @SouthernMama15 smaller cars are doable. Be sure to check out the Car Seats for Littles group for car seat recommendations for smaller cars.  I have people in my last BMB that had Mini Coopers and other small cars. They were all able to find some that worked. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    bumpybump said:
    @DeansGirl14 @Mango517 @SouthernMama15 smaller cars are doable. Be sure to check out the Car Seats for Littles group for car seat recommendations for smaller cars.  I have people in my last BMB that had Mini Coopers and other small cars. They were all able to find some that worked. 
    Definitely will check, thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a Rav 4 that I love. They fit 2 car seats well and have lots of cargo space for anyone looking at small suvs
  • Options
    I have a Chevy Malibu and I might have to trade it for an SUV because when we get DH son he is still in a car seat and i 5yrs old because he is still short to be riding without one so I am hoping he either grows ASAP or else 3 car seats will not fit in my car :( and I love my car because it is good on gas lbvs
  • Options
    @dmbfan46835 so sorry you have this added stress!! Thoughts and prayers that's not what it is.

I am currently taking a break from mopping up toilet water from the work bathroom.  :|
    I'm the only employee at a small business and my boss is in Trinidad right now. Pissed.
  • Options
    @dmbfan46835 I may be totally wrong, but I thought hand foot and mouth was a cousin virus to the chicken pox and that you could only really get it once... then again I have heard of people getting the chicken pox twice if they didn't have it very badly the first time. Also I could totally be wrong about all of that lol. Hoping that's not what it is so you don't have to deal with or stress about it.
  • Options
    @middy411 @dmbfan46835
    You can only get it once but there are 3 strains of hand foot and mouth so you can get it up to three times.  I did a lot or research when DS got it because it happened right before a family vacation.

DH took DS into town and not they can't get back home because they highway is closed at the summit out side of town for avalanche control, and the tourists trying to get out of have the whole thing clogged up all the way into town.  I wish I could enjoy my free time but I am worried about DS because it will be nap time soon.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That stinks! @dmbfan46835 Hopefully it's not F&M. 

My random is that we bought a new mattress yesterday, and I had the best night's sleep! Woke up sick though. 

Also, the second Panaroma test we took came back. Apparently they weren't able to get enough "fatal fraction" again, and I'm going to have to do another type of test (not sure what yet). I'm really concerned now that something is wrong. My anxiety is sky high. 
  • Options
    @pinkprincesspiper WTF?? What's the other test? I did informaseq last Monday and my OB told me it should be back tomorrow now maybe? 

I did of course google your current sitch and it says plus sized mamas more commonly have this result and have to retest if the blood was taken too early. So I bet that's all it is. Im thinking about you!
  • Options
    @pinkprincesspiper WTF?? What's the other test? I did informaseq last Monday and my OB told me it should be back tomorrow now maybe? 

I did of course google your current sitch and it says plus sized mamas more commonly have this result and have to retest if the blood was taken too early. So I bet that's all it is. Im thinking about you!
    Lauren, you're awesome! Thanks, babe! That does make me feel better. I'm not sure if they'll have me do the Harmony test or what. My OB has to decide & call me back. 

I cant wait to find out what you're having! So exciting! <3 Have you guys told Judah yet? 
  • Options
    @pinkprincesspiper we have told him but he doesn't get it, nor does he care, lol. He's too busy being wild and getting into everything.
    Justin wants to do another reveal with the family so we are going to get the sex portion of the NIPT test in an envelope and wait til I find a fun way to do it if everything comes back ok. We did the cake last time as a surprise at a huge family dinner so that was fun. But now I have to do something different. His grandparents are in Florida til Easter so we may have to wait til then to find out! 

Keep us posted on your tests! 
  • Options
    I'm sorry about the Panorama test giving you such trouble, @PinkPrincessPiper. I've also read the same thing, that those tests can give those results for plus sized moms, especially earlier in the pregnancy. You took the blood during weeks 9 and 12? Could likely be the culprit also!

Can you get in for an NT scan and blood work soon? That would help give me some peace of mind in your situation. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @dmbfan46835 I so hope the rash is nothing!! Keep us updated. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LivLew I'm nesting the same way you are. I haven't bought a whole lot, but I'm trying to readjust and organize my home to make room for baby. 

There re is an annual consignment sale that our local moms group puts on and I'm waiting to try to get most of my needs from their if I can! 
  • Options
    Mango517 said:
    I'm sorry about the Panorama test giving you such trouble, @PinkPrincessPiper. I've also read the same thing, that those tests can give those results for plus sized moms, especially earlier in the pregnancy. You took the blood during weeks 9 and 12? Could likely be the culprit also!

Can you get in for an NT scan and blood work soon? That would help give me some peace of mind in your situation. 

Thanks! @Mango517 I have an appointment on Friday, so at least hearing baby's heartbeat will be a relief to me. Hopefully whatever testing will get done then, or at least scheduled. 
  • Options
    @AbbeyH I've been eating like a stoner 16yo boy. 
    I'm currently 14wks and already gained 8lbs, 4 in the last 2wks  :o
  • Options
    I swear my boobs grew a whole cup size today. And they HURT, which is a symptom I haven't had yet.

They are at LEAST as big as when I was breastfeeding last time. Sooooo....how big are they going to get?!?!?!?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I envy you haha I have had trouble gaining weight. I gained three pounds and lost four. I try eating more and not eating too much junk food but until the beginning of this week just about everything makes me either Nashuas or just throw up. A good bit of things still make me sick but I celebrated me being able to eat pizza again today. I miss food hahaha

So I haven't had alot of mood swings since I got pregnant. Yet last night I wanted to hit my man in the face with a pillow haha I woke up about eight times to pee and I can't fall asleep right away after I get up, then one of my cats parks it outside are door and keeps meowing and then to top it off my man starts snoring really loud and I'm normally a light sleeper. I try turning his head and his body, nothing works. As my attempts kept failing I would get more and more mad. I was so freaking tired and it seemed like everything was trying to keep me up. If it was just snoring I could have delt but everything in a row was just too much. If I pee this much at night now, I'm not looking forward to when the baby gets bigger haha I never used the bathroom at night once I went to bed. It sucks.
  • Options
    @happylifex3 @middy411 @shyviolet @mango517 thanks for the thoughts ladies! I knew he could get one of the other strains so that is what really had me freaked! He now has the rash on both hands but his feet and mouth are clear and no fever or anything. God I hope it's just a reaction to something he touched. SIL got him a Mater motorized ride along toy from Walmart friday and it was not in a  package or anything so maybe there was just something that irritated his hands on the handles? I am racking my brain to think of anything he may have touched that can be the culprit so I can rule out the HF&M. I need my kisses from DS badly but I'm steering as clear as I can til I know. The struggle is real!! 
  • Options
    Question for STM+: what are things we should expect to have to buy ourselves? Crib? Mattress? Other things? Trying to watch sales, etc. but don't want to buy things that we'll likely get from showers.
  • Options
    @mrsmatt1212 I guess that mostly depends on what you think you can expect your family to buy. I know it can be a really awkward conversation but just ask parents/in-laws if they plan on helping with nursery furniture or anything like that. 
    I'd wait to buy blankets, a play mat, baby toys, too many cloths. Smaller things like that. 
    Anything you buy now just keep the tags on and if you get repeats from the shower or something you like better you can always return or exchange it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsmatt1212 I second what @Nxy said. I found that my parents and in-laws were very upfront about what they wanted to purchase us, mainly because a lot of it had to do with personal preference and they wanted to buy us what we wanted. 

I bought unique things that I knew others weren't going to buy for me, and that I wasn't going to ask for on a registry.
  • Options
    @nyx @HappyToBeHere perfect! That's super helpful, and definitely a conversation worth having!
  • Options
    @Mango517 we have a mini Cooper as well, DH did tons of carseat research to find best one that would fit and still fit a passenger. Pricey but the Cybex Infant seat leaves the most room and has a side protection bar since the car seat has to be on a side, not middle. We're talking about a 2nd car, but ugh the $$!! There is no way the 2 of us, baby and 80lb dog will fit in the mini though, so...hauler car for me it is.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    Okay, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing cloth diapers (at least, 80% of the time - no need to try for perfection). And obviously, having cloth wipes makes sense if doing cloth diapers, because what's another two dozen squares of fabric in the laundry? and, obviously, I'm cheap and cloth wipes would be ridiculously simple to make. BUT WHAT ARE THE DIMENSIONS?

Seriously, 4"x4"? 6"x6"? Rectangular? Looking for some sizes and rationale.
  • Options
    @lyse01 I made mine about 6x6 and some 8x8 (squares) but I ended up using disposable wipes for the convenience. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lyse01 I'm pretty sure mine are 7x7. I did double sided so one side is baby flannel and the other is terrycloth (scrubby side). We used all cloth wipes at home and disposable wipes out and about (cloth diapers still out and about). 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    LivLew said:
    @AbbeyH I've been eating like a stoner 16yo boy. 
    I'm currently 14wks and already gained 8lbs, 4 in the last 2wks  :o
    I feel like I'm in the exact same boat. I had a lovely fruit smoothie for lunch, followed by ramen with peanut sauce
  • Options
    @Nxy why did you find disposables more convenient?

@bumpybump Ooh, I'm liking the double-sided idea. I had sort of settled on a pile of terry cloth and a pile of flannel anyway. 

So 6-8" square...was that mostly to avoid poopy hands/allow for some fold and reuse before getting the next wipe out?
  • Options
    @dinofreak Both of those meals sound delicious.
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    edited February 2017
    @lyse01 I'm.. lazy lol. I tried spray the wipe before you use it but only one spray bottle which was dumb should have got like 3. Mine stored wet grew into a science project. I just gave up. Lazy. I just decided a pack of wipes every couple months was easier. 
    Edit: Yea I went bigger so I could fold in half and continue to wipe. You can make them smaller if you want it's mostly just preference. Try a couple different sizes see what you like better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Nxy Fair enough!