May 2017 Moms
Options

Delivery Room: Who's In?

13»

Re: Delivery Room: Who's In?

• Options
    I'm not sure if my hospital officially allows siblings in the delivery room. But my friend is an L&D nurse there and said that they've had many siblings chilling in the room's bathroom when it's an unexpectedly fast delivery. I'm not relying on that but it provided some comfort in case we land in the same boat. We live cross country from my family and we don't have a regular sitter. We have several friends lined up in case this kid comes before my parents get here, but I'm still stressed about it. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    kat81 said:
    Just my husband! Possibly my 16month old daughter if it's a fast labor overnight and we can't find someone to watch her on time- we would just pack the playpen for her and have a bag ready to go with her stuff just in case we need to bring her.  
    Does your hospital allow this? I'm pretty sure that everywhere I have delivered (two hospitals, and this last place is a birth center) does not allow children in the delivery room. Not to freak you out...I know it is a huge hassle wondering what to do with your kid when you go into labor and you don't have family around. We got a babysitter to agree to be on call. Luckily we didn't call her overnight, but we did call her in the evening and she had to spend the night with DS before taking him to daycare in the morning.  Hopefully it will be moot for you anyway!
    It does thankfully! It would be a huge pain to have her there and we have family around, but if it's in the middle of the night and they're not responding to phone calls/texts then we'll have to bring her until someone can come get her. If baby comes May long weekend though, no family will be home and we'll have a rough time finding a sitter!

ETA: they're huge private rooms with a little nook in the corner for families to set up things like playpens incase siblings need to come and a pull out couch for DH to sleep on. They allow up to 8 people in the room as well as medical staff unless there's complications- but I'm definitely not wanting any extra family in there!
    That is so awesome! I still hope your family shows up but if not then your hospital sounds great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM over here. The plan is to have just DH and I (and any necessary medical staff-obviously). But DH works out of town and it's a 6 hour drive home. All of our fingers are crossed that this baby will be born when DH is on his time off or that this baby will give us enough time for him to get home before making its appearance. 
    We will also have a huge welcoming party of all 6 of this child's grandparents in the waiting room. Which TBH I'd rather not have but I feel like that will be a battle that I will lose big time. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 26 DH: 28  
    TTC #1 since 06/2014
    BFP #1 09/23/15. MMC discovered 11/24/2015
    BFP #2 08/24/16 EDD 05/08/17

• Options
    kat81 said:
    kat81 said:
    Just my husband! Possibly my 16month old daughter if it's a fast labor overnight and we can't find someone to watch her on time- we would just pack the playpen for her and have a bag ready to go with her stuff just in case we need to bring her.  
    Does your hospital allow this? I'm pretty sure that everywhere I have delivered (two hospitals, and this last place is a birth center) does not allow children in the delivery room. Not to freak you out...I know it is a huge hassle wondering what to do with your kid when you go into labor and you don't have family around. We got a babysitter to agree to be on call. Luckily we didn't call her overnight, but we did call her in the evening and she had to spend the night with DS before taking him to daycare in the morning.  Hopefully it will be moot for you anyway!
    It does thankfully! It would be a huge pain to have her there and we have family around, but if it's in the middle of the night and they're not responding to phone calls/texts then we'll have to bring her until someone can come get her. If baby comes May long weekend though, no family will be home and we'll have a rough time finding a sitter!

ETA: they're huge private rooms with a little nook in the corner for families to set up things like playpens incase siblings need to come and a pull out couch for DH to sleep on. They allow up to 8 people in the room as well as medical staff unless there's complications- but I'm definitely not wanting any extra family in there!
    That is so awesome! I still hope your family shows up but if not then your hospital sounds great!
    I hope my family does too! 
  • Options
    DH and myself. I've also thought about asking my sister if she wants to come in. We are pretty close and even though she is 10 years younger than me, she's 21 now and might appreciate the experience. 

I was only 20 when I I had DS and my partner and my mom were in the room. I didn't ask my mom to be there until I started pushing and I literally cried for her. LOL. I was young. Our relationship isn't great so I am sure she will be there but not in the room if I can help it. I have a much more supportive partner now. 
  • Options
    RedInLoveRedInLove member
    edited February 2017
    For DD, it was supposed to be just me and DH but he was out of town and she came too fast so it was my sister. Everyone had been saying how they want to be called as soon as I go into labor, etc., they were going to come right away and camp out in the waiting room, and I kept telling them that we'll want our time alone before visitors, etc. The only calls made were to DH and 911.

It will be just DH and me, and possibly my other sister. We'll need someone who can take DD and potentially on short notice because of my precipitous labor history. We otherwise won't be calling anyone, and nobody else sees us until DD meets her brother. I'll put these specific notes in my registration record if needed that our presence or status not be confirmed and our room number not given out if anyone inquires. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    For both of my previous births, it's been just DH, our doula, and I.  We're going to keep up the trend this time.  Our hospital is small, so the medical staff is only our midwife and two nurses (one for me, one for baby) at delivery.
    Feb 2012:  DS1 born 40w2d, 7 lb 11 oz, 20"
    May 2014:  DS2 born 40w3d, 10 lb, 23"

Due May 2017 with DD1!
  • Options
    Last time was just H in the room, my mum came in straight after (H text her when I was ready to push and she came in while I was being stitched etc) I'm glad she was there, she got the photos that H couldn't or forgot about (him being measured and weighed, photos of the 3 of us) 
    This time around will just be H again, someone will have to watch DS, so depending on when it'll be my mum or MIL will meet us at the hospital, I also have several aunts, my dad, SIL etc around who could take him at short notice. I don't want any visitors until we're settled and back in the ward at least this time, last time everyone came to visit straight away, which I didn't mind, but I would prefer to not feel rushed showering etc this time.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    With my first baby it was my husband and my mom. My MIL wanted to be there(which I said ok but was very uncomfortable for) but she never showed up so yay me lol

This time around with DD it's supposed to be husband my mom and MIL. Which idk I'm fine with I'm just worried that my MIL and mother will clash or argue at some point(our families don't get along. Or more like my MIL wants their side of the family to only exist which causes the problems) but when the time comes we will see if anything happens then MIL is leaving out. But she's supposed to mainly be there for photos that's all. I'm gonna write out a whole paper on what I want done and hoping DH follows it thru