October 2017 Moms

Nursing while pregnant

Anyone still nursing a little one?

My "baby" is 16 months and she'll go a day or two without nursing and I think she's weaned and then all of the sudden she wants to nurse again! Keep wondering when this girl is ACTUALLY going to give it up!

So just curious. Anyone else still nursing?

Re: Nursing while pregnant

• Not now. But I was nursing DS when I got pregnant for the second time (TW: ended in a MMC). He did the same as what your daughter does. I continued nursing him until I couldn't due to medication I had to take for the MMC. 

A lot of women find their milk dries up sometime near the end of first trimester. So you may find she just weans on her own because your supply might decrease. 
  • I am! Nursing DD (14months) doc did it was ok until 20 weeks so I'll continue to do so until then. She's just nursing at bedtime now :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is still doing minimal night nursing. A friend who is due 2 months before me said yesterday her milk just stopped! Her son isn't two yet so she said it was really bittersweet 
    Nichole Tampa, FL
  • edited February 2017
    I have a 12 month old that I'm currently trying to wean as of a couple days ago.

**TW Loss Mentioned**

I had a MMC last month on 1/9 at 7w4d (baby stopped growing at 6w1d) and while I know that nursing may have had no affect..in my head, I believe it did. Anyhow, I never got AF and honestly DH and I have been having so many problems that we were TTA. But apparently I O'd and the ONE time we did BD got me KU because I got a bfp and have already confirmed new pregnancy with my OB. While this was totally unexpected, I believe it happened for a reason.
    **TW End**

Anyhow, being PGAL..and a super recent loss at that, I'm terrified and being extra cautious this time. I'm trying to wean DS as soon as I can and am also on progesterone. However there are many cases of women going on to nurse throughout their entire pregnancy and not having any issues and even going on to tandem nurse.
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Still nursing my DS who is nearly 2!

**June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son is 16 months old too! I just weaned him from his afternoon nurse, up next is morning and then the evening nurse. I'm really sad about the nighttime nurse! But it's actually gotten pretty painful because my boobs are so sore. I'm mostly ready to be done. He's only nursing for maybe 2-3 min on each side at night so it seems like he's not enjoying it as much either anymore. 
  • My DD is 9 months old and I fully plan on nursing her all the way through my pregnancy if she doesn't wean first. I really want to nurse both of them together. My midwife told me to up my water and protein intake to keep my supply up. That and she told me I'll have to seriously up my calories, like 2500 a day, to support both  :s
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm still nursing ds. I'm ready to wean him partly because it hurts my sore boobs, but mostly because he's 3 and showing no interest in self-weaning. 
  • I'm nursing my 15-month-old. He's tapered off a bit over the last few weeks, and I'm guessing it's due to my decreasing supply. I've upped the protein, water, and oatmeal in order to keep up (and I'm eating like a pig!!), but I don't think it's working. He still nurses 1-2 times a night and 4-6 times a day, but that's about half of what he was doing a month ago. I'm hoping to wean him before this one is born b/c I'm not interested in tandem nursing, but I also don't want to force DS to stop if he's not ready.
  • I'm nursing an almost 2 year old. He's slowly nursing less and less naturally, primarily at nap time and bed time now. I'm not sure yet how it'll go with pregnancy, but we'll see!
  • I weaned DS just before his 2nd birthday. I was trying to avoid me being uncomfortable more than he really still needed it. I just had DH put him to bed for a few weeks (I was down to one nursing session a day at bedtime) and that was that. 
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy you make it sound so easy. DS is such a booby monster. I'm figuring out how to reduce the feeds. I'm currently not offering, not refusing. I try to distract once or twice when he asks but it's only worked once. I have also always put DS to sleep. i used to nurse to sleep, but now I nurse, stop, then he falls asleep with me lying next to him.

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @buttercream_frosting those are all steps in the right direction! When he is ready he will wean. I did everything you are talking about in the months leading up to weaning. I knew he would go to bed with DH (I was away for a few nights) so when I was ready to be done we just switched roles for awhile. 
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I'm definitely not an expert. I currently lay in his crib with him every night for like 10-15 minutes because I'm a sucker.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @jessafishy I feel like he will *never* wean and *never* STTN! I am a huge sucker too. He has his own room and floor mattress where he starts off alone at the start of the night. Guess who spends her sleeping hours from 2am in there!? I just don't want to be trying to get off a floor mattress when I'm a whale.

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @buttercream_frosting honestly if DH hadn't had hernia surgery right after DS's first birthday and was unable to help MOTN AT ALL for 3+ weeks forcing me to do CIO or go insane I'm sure DS would still be in bed with me. Solidarity.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Well my little miss might ACTUALLY be  done. Its been a few days now and honestly like so many of you my books are starting to hurt and it's just uncomfortable. She was really only nursing once per day anyway and I think it was more if a bonding/comfort thing than anything so I think we're ok to transition away. 

• I am still nursing my first as well. He will be 1 next month so just trying to make it to that point. I can tell I'm not producing quite as much but he seems content and plenty of wet diapers etc. I'm up for nursing longer if I can. We shall see! 
  • @ematthews001 Are you planning on tandem breastfeeding? How do you know how much you are producing?

LO#2 EDD October 18th 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am currently nursing as well! My son is 16 months, does anyone else find it really sore when toddler latches now? 
  • My daughter is still going at 2, but I've started developing nursing aversion and they're a bit sensitive. She only gets a few minutes with them when she nurses. I'm fairly certain she'll be tandeming with her young sibling.