January 2016 Moms

Issues with transition to milk

Is anyone else having issues with the transition to milk?

LO has been on regular milk-based formula since he was about 5 months old and never had any issues with it. But now LO has had diarrhea for the past 2ish weeks. At first it was many times a day to the point where he must have had some sort of stomach bug but that seemed to clear up so we transitioned to whole milk. Now it seems to be still loose but lessened to about 2-3 times a day.  He also wakes up a few times a night and seems to have extra gas but he's always been a bad sleeper so I'm not sure if that's related or a separate issue.  He didn't have an issue with the taste so I did the transition from formula to milk pretty quickly and within 3 days he was doing just whole milk. He also still drinks a lot - about 25oz a day if that matters. 

I've gone back to formula for the time being to see if that helps but just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue during the transition to whole milk? I'm assuming it's not a milk allergy since he has always had milk based formula and eats cheese and other dairy regularly with no issues. 

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Issues with transition to milk

• Is he teething or getting his molars in? The extra drool could lead to loose stools and the wake ups! Molars suck! 
  • We're still in the transition (half formula half milk,) but we're having the opposite problem - constipation. I'm nervous about going full milk because of this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Most formulas are cows milk so I am wondering if its actually an allergy? You could always try a lactose free milk for two weeks and test it out though!
  • Try mayenberg whole goat milk. It may help with both constipation or diarrhea. That's what my baby takes, it's easier to digest than goats milk. When my baby was like 6 months with diarrhea , doctor recommended Gerber probiotics. They work miracles. Also Offer yoghurt, has prebiotic which help in digestion.
  • He takes 25oz? Are you offering milk before or after meals? May be replace one bottle with water? My pediatrician no more than 16-18oz on our 1 year appointment. Actually to give milk as snacks or after meals. To avoid milk with dinner, as calcium in milk inhibits iron absorption instead offer water . I haven't cut it out yet at, dinner but she only drinks 2oz or less!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited February 2017
    We're also having the opposite issue, it seems like LO is always constipated!  The dr said to make sure she's getting enough water and to try to give her some apple or pear juice. She eats tons of fruit, we cut out cheese, she always has a sippy full of water, and but she won't drink juice.  I feel awful, she's so uncomfortable.  As soon as she poops she's like a whole different happy baby! 
  • @KFrob @krrpe99 for constipation,  my doctor gave me this recipe.

-2 organic apple(I use pink lady+any other sweet apple)- peel, core, cut into small pieces, boil for 5 minutes, strain water.

- add 3 cored dates, blend until smooth. Don't peel the dates. 
    - use the strained cooled water in a sippy. It's very tasty and refreshing.
    -offer apple sauce after meals except dinner, otherwise,  you may be changing poopy diaper at 3am.

I only offer apple sauce with breakfast,  she goes 2-3  times daily. I avoided cows milk and went direct to goat milk.
    Goodluck

• @Mamapema  I have been giving apple sauce, I assumed that if apple juice worked so would apple sauce and it does seem to help!
  • @Mamapema thanks for the recipe. Sounds yummy. 
  • Applesauce is a binder! 
    Here's the difference between applesauce and apple juice digestively speaking: 

Applesauce is the whole of the fruit. It contains a higher level of pectin – which firms up stools and may thus lead to constipation.

Apple juice contains more of the sugars found in the apple and it also contains more actual liquid; hence apple juice is a good remedy to help relieve constipation.

Read more at https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/baby_diarrhea_foods.htm#buozw4LjXiJGyaZX.99

• Applesauce is a binder! 
    Here's the difference between applesauce and apple juice digestively speaking: 

Applesauce is the whole of the fruit. It contains a higher level of pectin – which firms up stools and may thus lead to constipation.

Apple juice contains more of the sugars found in the apple and it also contains more actual liquid; hence apple juice is a good remedy to help relieve constipation.

Read more at https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/baby_diarrhea_foods.htm#buozw4LjXiJGyaZX.99
    Oh no!!!! Ugh, idk what to give this baby.... 
  • Thanks everyone! He's been on formula for a few days and seems to be better. Daycare is going to give him a little milk today and we will see how he does. If it doesn't go well I may try goats milk and see if that helps, thanks for the suggestion. 

Also thanks for confirming about applesauce I had been giving applesauce almost daily so glad to know I wasn't making it worse!
  • https://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-for-constipation/

Pectin like any other insoluble fiber found in grains, and whole wheat, bulks and firms stool but the key is, all high fiber foods must be taken with water or fluids in order for them not to cause constipation. E.g if you eat beans and you don't drink water, you will be constipated due to fiber binding stool.