March 2017 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag

I search and couldn't find a post but if there is one, I'm sorry! Could you bump it please?

Do you ladies have your hospital bags packed? If so, what did you put in them and what have you heard that you shouldn't put in them?

Re: Hospital Bag

• Options
    I have mine packed for the most part -  

Heres what I have:
    open top for nursing - but I may just stay in the hospital gown
    sample pack of nursing pads just in case
    nursing bra/nursing tank
    comfy black stretch pants for going home
    baby book to fill out (my friend told me that she did this during down time/between feedings)
    Chapstick
    face wipes

What am I missing?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have 2 bags...one for L&D and one for post-partum:

L&D: 
    *chargers
    *toiletries
    *robe
    *compression socks
    *slippers
    *headbands
    *Chapstick

PP:
    *nursing tank/bra
    *comfy pants
    *going home outfit for baby

Trying to decide if there's anything else I may need or want to take
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Options
    I am slowly but surely getting there!

Flip flops for shower
    slippers
    nursing tanks/bras,
    stretchy pants
    nursing pads
    toiletries (I have a drawer full of samples I get from hotels, so I just packed those)
    chapstick
    hair ties
    granny panties
    honey sticks

I still need - button down shirts/comfy nursing type shirts

In the diaper bag:  2 outfits, blanket, mittens, hat.  Trying to keep this minimal, but also making sure i have what we need.

DH is in charge of his bag.  
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Options
    Having spent a week in the hospital in the labor wing recently, I would agree with what has been said here.

I would add shampoo, conditioner, soap, and a loofa or something similar if you like that. The shower supplies were somewhat lacking, and it was nice to have familiar things. The towels were so-so, but fine for a couple of days. 

A personal fan. I know I'll want moving air while laboring, and a little fan gives me more control than the room thermostat. Those beds get really warm. 

I liked having my own pillow, but that wasn't a necessity. 

The other thing I'm packing is a laptop and charger so I have movies and Netflix to distract me during labor. I'm prepping for a long labor. The hospital has wireless, but the tv didn't have many options. I doubt I'll be able to focus on much else. 
  • Options
    My bag isn't packed yet since we're moving next week (eeeeeeeeek!) but this is what I'm bringing:

-sweatpants
    -hoodie
    -nursing tanks
    -sleep nursing bra (btw all bras are currently $20 and less in store and online at Motherhood)
    -socks and house shoes 
    -sports bra for laboring in the tub
    -phone/iPad charger
    -camera (husband to bring)
    -tube sock stuffed with rice in case I need to heat it up. Makes for nice heat compression. 
    -toiletries
    -granny panties
    -Always pads
    -water bottle 
    -nail clippers/nail file for trimming baby's sharp claws. Seriously, they're sharp and they hurt!
    -a onsie or 2 for baby and a going home outfit

And that's it. The first time around I overpacked and didn't use half the stuff that I brought. Make sure you leave room in your bag or bring an extra one for taking things from the hospital. We had so many newborn diapers last time that we didn't need to buy any. Baby grew out of them in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    I just re packed mine today to add baby clothes and take out the extra clothes for me.

I used a carry on travel suitcase

- maternity/nursing jammies 
    - yoga pants
    - tshirt and comfy shorts
    - nursing tank and bra
    - panties and socks
    - bamboobies nursing pads and lanolin
    - pumping bra - in case we have NICU time
    - a few pads (just in case the big ones at the hospital annoy me- last time I loved them with mesh panties) 
    - slippers and robe
    - going home outfit (lularoe leggings and Irma tunic)
    - toiletries, makeup and blow dryer (chapstick, hair ties, lotion, makeup remover wipes and dry shampoo should be included)

For baby
    - 2 Aden and Anais swaddle blamkets
    - mam pacifier (just in case)
    - going home outfits in preemie and newborn sizes
    - socks and mitts

Other
    - charger for phone
    - a journal to keep up with thank you note stuff
    - a folder for baby paperwork
    - a book
    - pillow
    - will probably grab my boppy and keep it in the car just in case I want it. 

With my son, I was happy to have a couple changes of clothes to wear back and forth to the NICU. I wore a hospital gown for the induction process but my own clothes after he was born. My milk didn't come in while in the hospital, but the lanolin was nice for pumping. My hospital gives out big plastic mugs with a lid and straw, but I would pack a water bottle if not because you will be thirsty! 

My husband has a "go bag" he packed and put in the car weeks ago after our first hospital admission. He has a change of clothes, sweatpants and hoodie, flip flops and toiletries in it. 
  • Options
    I've started packing a bit:

-various toiletries/hair brush/chapstick/etc
    -nightgowns x 2 (cause I hate sleeping in pants)
    -headband to hold back my hair (recommended by sister)
    -nursing bra
    -slippers with rubberized bottoms for post-partum
    -going home outfit for me
    -going home outfit for baby (newborn and 0-3 months)
    -socks/hat/mittens for baby
    -2 pacifiers (one mam, one soothie)
    -blanket for carseat + carseat cover (still wintery in March where I live)
    -digital camera + charger
    -instax camera, extra batteries, film, and lens (I'm a scrapbooker)
    -baby book + pen

Things I will pack later:
    -laptop + charger
    -phone + charger
    -beats pill (if my husband fixes it in time)
    -flip flops (when I find a pair)
    -a small amount of makeup (basically mascara and remover)
    -pump (because I'd rather learn on mine than another model)
    -lanolin + nursing pads
    -wallet with id + insurance cards
    -own pillow
    -maybe boppy?
  • Options
    I've only packed a baby bag so far.. 
    - a few sleepers 
    - 2 onesies and 2 comfy pants. 
    - 2 pairs of socks. 
    - scratch mittens
    - 2 muslin blankets 
    - 2 burp cloths. 
    - warm cotton outdoor hat with the ear flaps. 
    - wipes (hospital does not supply) 
    - Lansinoh 

I'm debating packing the pacifier just in case, I never introduced one to my DD but keeping on hand just in case so I may throw it in. 

Thankful for this thread because I need to go buy some sports bras and a new nursing bras.. maybe a few nursing tops.. I also probably would have forgot my house coat! I'm being a minimalist for my bag because I live about a 10 minute drive from the hospital if that. 

But I will definitely be packing 

-Travel size shampoo/toiletries in case I'm stuck there longer than expected. I'm hoping to be home the same day as delivery. 
    - Tablet, phone and chargers. 
    - a book 
    - change for the vending machines, most of them take debit/credit I think? But just in case. 
    - water bottle 
    - breast pads 
    - a small makeup bag (may or may not use) 
    - lots of socks.. (I somehow managed to bleed on a lot of mine)
    - comfy sweats to go home and a set of pj's. 
    - a few snacks!! 

I'm not bringing any type of pillows or blankets for myself, I just don't feel like having the extra stuff to lug back home with me. 

• Options
    I'm bringing:

2 bathrobes for post partum (I hate their gowns)
    change of clothes for hubby
    nursing tank
    sports bra 
    headbands
    brush
    extra hair ties 
    toothbrush
    toothpaste 
    newborn and 0-3 going home outfit
    slippers
    make up
    maternity shirt and leggings for going home
    blanket for baby to go home
    camera
    charger
    gatorade, honey sticks and small snack for labor

our hospital supplies a lot like breast pads, lanolin, binkies, things of that nature ... they even have a freezer stocked with free ice cream and we both get meals for free 

also I want to make sure there is enough room in my bag for all of the diapers and baby blankets i plan on commandeering 

• Options
    Question- I noticed a few people have put their breast pump on their hospital bag list... Is it normal to need to pump while in the hospital or is this only for babies that need NICU time?

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Options
    SienaC said:
    Question- I noticed a few people have put their breast pump on their hospital bag list... Is it normal to need to pump while in the hospital or is this only for babies that need NICU time?
    Good question, I'm curious too. My daughter was in NICU (but only for 24 hours and she was not a premie), and I was still able to breastfeed while she was there. For full term babies you definitely do not need to pump in the hospital, as long as there is no problem with latching. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aerie_staraerie_star member
    edited February 2017
    @CanadianintheSouth

The nurse who taught my hospital class recommended bringing your pump because my hospital gives a lot of one-on-one time with lactation consultants and its a good way to find out the ins and outs of pumps as a FTM in her opinion. My sister also had problems with my nephew's latch and my nephew was in the NICU and they suggested she pump and lent her one since she didn't bring hers. 
  • Options
    Thanks @aerie_star, helpful answer!
  • Options
    I also like to bring a bag of change so my kiddos or hubby when they come visit can use the vending machine. 

And a pack of thank you cards! Easy to write thank yous to the nurses or people who come visit :)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
     AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Is anyone planning on bringing gifts for the nurses? I've seen ideas pop up on my Pinterest account. I'm usually not a crafty person so I'm not sure what the proper etiquette Is around this. 
  • Options
    @SienaC I'm not planning to bring mine since I have a Medela and the hospital uses a hospital grade medela. I didn't last time and preferred to just use their pump when pumping colostrum for my NICU baby. As pp wrote, it could be helpful for a first time mom to bring their own with hopes to get some instruction from the LC. If I don't have a NICU baby this time, I will wait until I get home to start pumping and will probably pump after each daytime feeding to bulk up supply and create my freezer stash for going back to work. I noticed a drop in supply after starting back to work at 3 months and was glad to have a big stash to help supplement. 

@BaylieGirl Nurses love food (I happen to be one)! So I will probably just get DH to run to KK or DD and grab donuts and coffee for them :) I will probably also give any nurses who are extra great a personal thank you card to use for their evaluations. 
  • Options
    SienaC said:
    You do not NEED it. My lactation consultant went over pumping questions and I used their a medela hospital pump--they also gave me all the accessories and some extra supplies to go home with that I used there. If you are especially excited about YOUR own pump, or really really want to use it to ask questions: go ahead and bring it. But unless you're exclusively pumping--most lactation consultants don't reccomend giving baby a bottle till 5-6wks, so all you need to work on the first weeks with baby is breastfeeding. Not pumping. Excess pumping while your milk comes in will just bump up your supply::your body will think you need enough milk for two babies!
  • Options
    You don't really want to pump at first unless you have to....it messes up the communication between your baby and body and you can get an oversupply. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I should mention I did have an oversupply with pumping and breastfeeding last go round, but that worked for me. Not everyone wants to deal with extra engorged breasts and tons of milk. I didn't have a choice at first last time since they had me pumping after ever breastfeeding session to have plenty of milk to help my little guy grow quickly. But as @kjd291 and @longliveregina said, there is a big difference between preemies and term babies. My son came home using bottle, being a champion breast feeder and using a paci from day one since that's how it works in the NICU.  I probably won't give this one a bottle until about a month old but want to build my freezer stash early. I was able to donate some milk to a friend last time who wasn't able to breastfeed so that was nice for me too! Overall, just do what feels right for you! 
  • Options
    @BaylieGirl I took brownies for them last time, but since then I've become paranoid that my doctors office and hospital can't have homemade items... @Lexxilou1986 do you guys normally eat homemade stuff or is it safer to just buy from somewhere?
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    @datalover13 It honestly depends a lot on the people who bring it in...but as a rule, no. As tasty as homemade treats are, it's usually more likely to get eaten when bought from somewhere. Other options are getting fruit or veggie trays from the grocery store, bags of valentines candy (especially since it will be super cheap starting tomorrow) or even ordering a couple pizzas. Anything you do will be appreciated! Even just st doing thank you notes. Nurses rarely get recognized for the care and compassion they provide (mind you, there are some real crappy nurses out there too). Bags of good coffee are another nice option since most nurses drink coffee and usually just have yucky hospital coffee at work. 
  • Options
     I KNOW I'm overpacking but that's just how I roll. 

I have a tiny bag for L&D with chargers, wireless headphones, robe/fuzzy socks, a back massager and baby oil for DH to make himself useful while I labor. I also packed sweet and salty snacks for DH during and me after labor. 

The other bag will come in after labor and has all my 'comforts of home' stuff. I'm a really picky sleeper so I'm bringing my own pillow, extra blanket, eye mask and ear plugs. Also travel toiletries that I'll leave behind when I leave. Nursing pjs, another robe and fuzzy socks and comfy clothes for me, a few outfits for DD plus a coming home outfit for her and for me. Im
    also bringing my hair straightener and makeup bag because I plan on getting big kid dressed to leave the hospital.

DH is on his own to pack what he thinks he needs but I've made suggestions. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So I think I'm the minimalist of the group (and maybe I'll regret that later - FTM so it's entirely possible) but I only have a backpack packed. Here's what I have packed:
    For me:
    1 pair comfy PJ pants
    1 robe
    2 nursing tanks
    2 nursing bras
    2 pairs large granny panties
    toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, dry shampoo, hairbrush/hairties, etc.)
    nursing pads
    phone charger
    medications
    For baby:
    1 footed sleeper
    2 onesies
    2 velcro swaddlers
    1 pair baby mittens and a hat
    car seat and warm blanket in the car

Basically, I am prepared for the basics - an uncomplicated vaginal birth and 2 nights in the hospital. DH and I live only 5 miles from the hospital, so if plans change or I still want something it'd be easy to ask any of my very eager family members to run home for me, so I'm not too concerned about packing more than what I can fit in this backpack. 
  • Options
    RunBooRunRunBooRun member
    edited February 2017
    I'm way overpacking, but would rather have stuff and not need it, than not have something I want. Also, we're using the Bradley method to aim for a med free birth, so we have a lot of labor goodies. Planning on packing labor tools in a separate bag so that can go back into the car during our postpartum stay.

Labor tools:
    Yoga ball (they only have one on the floor, so in order to guarantee I have one, I need to bring it)
    Tennis balls (counterpressure)
    Rebozo cloth (to "shake the apples", google it and it feels amazing even right now)
    Massager
    Massage Oil
    Old yoga mat (in case I want to be hands/knees on floor)
    Kneeling pad (again for floor - leaning against the yoga ball)
    Waterproof pillow for shower (to lean on if I want to sit backward on a chair)
    Extra pillows for helping to prop up in different positions (I've been to hospitals enough to know that there is always a shortage of pillows when you want them)

Food (labor & postpartum):
    Gatorade
    Honey sticks
    Hard Candy (helps me with nausea and dry mouth)
    Ginger Candy (same as hard candy)
    Straws for drinking (recommended by my Bradley instructor who is also a doula)
    Snacks (a combo of something I wouldn't mind seeing again during labor and stuff for DH/postpartum)

Entertainment/electronics (labor & postpartum):
    Phones / chargers
    Camera w/ spare memory cards & charger
    Books (for both of us)
    iPad & charger (netflix!)
    Laptop & charger
    Playing cards

Clothes:
    3 days of clothes (DH & me in case of a c section and we need to stay longer. I'm taking mostly nursing nighties - was told that they check you a lot and you may not want to keep needing to take pants on and off)
    PJs (DH & me)
    Robe (me)
    Slippers (DH & me)
    Flip flops (DH & me for shower)
    Swim suit (DH for laboring in shower)
    Nursing bras, pads, lanolin
    Going home clothes (me & lo)
    Hats & scratch mittens (lo)
    blankets for car seat
    swaddle in case I have a hard time with using the hospital blankets

Toiletries:
    Shower supplies
    Deodorant
    Lotion (body & face)
    Hair brush & hair ties
    Chapstick
    Nail clippers for lo (for those razor sharp talons)
    Prenatal vitamins
    Tylenol (mostly for DH, but if I wanted it I would ask before taking it)
    Depends (for ride there if water breaks, but also in case I despise the mesh panties)

Randoms:
    Baby book
    Diaper bag for ride home (partially packed, will be taking supplies)
    Extra bag for hospital goodies
    Car seat

Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• Options
    I was told in my birthing class that olive oil takes that sticky meconium right off baby during those early diaper changes. As DH or I will be changing those diapers, I'm adding a small container of olive oil to my bag.
  • Options
    I was told in my birthing class that olive oil takes that sticky meconium right off baby during those early diaper changes. As DH or I will be changing those diapers, I'm adding a small container of olive oil to my bag.
    It's also nice that the hospital has washcloths because baby wipes ain't cutting it. Soapy washcloth for the win!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just thought of this today- I think I'm going to take my noise machine. Not only for DH and I to not have to hear the midnight chatter at the nurses station outside the door..but for baby too, to hopefully have some sense of comfort from a similarity to the womb on those first few days in the scary world! 
  • Options
    kjd291kjd291 member
    edited February 2017
    @Cbeanz my kind of lady!
    I wasn't gonna pack myself any clothing either--but then I thought : what IF my water breaks or I throw up on the way/before I get in the gown. So that's why I packed myself a change of clean clothes for going home. 
  • Options
    @c25 smart idea. Whenever we travel with my daughter we always bring the noise machine. It's the best. 
  • Options
    I just downloaded a white noise APP on my cell during my last stay - no real need to lugg the machine with you :] 
  • Options
    @Cbeanz I was talking to DH about that yesterday! It'll be nice to get away, but I'm pretty sure by day 3 I'll be ready to get home. Our hospital requires hourly nurse check-ins during the day, and every 2 hours at night. I know I'll be up every 2-3 hours at night anyway but I like being left alone. Like, believe me, if I need more pain meds I'll let you know.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Options
    I had the white noise app but hated it cuz it was a battery suck and was annoying when I actually wanted to hold and use my phone! Our white noise machine is tiny and only weighs a few ounces.
  • Options
    I know I overpacked but the birth assistant will confirm on Monday when they come do the home meeting. I have 

nursing bra because I don't think I'll be ok with being totally nude
    shirts to labor in
    a bunch of towels to wipe baby off after being born 
    old wash clothes to be used for warm compresses 
    towel and washcloth for me to shower before going home (now that I think about it I need to put body wash in the bag)
    tennis balls
    1 outfit for baby
    1 fluffy sleeper in case the outfit is to small
    5 pads - I can't go through that many in 4 hours hopefully
    carseat still not in car; dh asked why I needed it in there by next week
    i don't have any snacks yet because I don't know what I would want
    clothes to come home in
    socks so my feet don't get cold
    About 4 disposables 
    baby hat and a blanket I think I put the blanket in the bag

I'll only be at the birth center a few hours so I hope I don't need to much more than what I have.