May 2017 Moms
Options

Pets and baby

2»

Re: Pets and baby

• Options
    So late to the party, but for whatever reason I keep losing the post and forgetting to post! Ugh...anyway, our dog, as you can tell from the picture, is pretty small. She's about 9 lbs and just a little ball of fur! She can be a little stinker sometimes, but all in all a great dog! She listens well and is well behaved around others, even babies. She just wants attention and to love on people! The "leave it" command is the best thing ever haha works really well with her at least! The only concern we really have is that she loves toys and every time we bring a few home for her and the other 2 dogs we currently live with she wants them all. So, we're a little concerned about the baby's toys, but I think as long as we give her one while he has his that it should help. She, also, sleeps with us most nights or will get down and go in her bed. She will move out of the way though if we nudge her a little or can literally just pick her up and move her over and she goes right back to sleep! Sometimes I think she is still asleep when we do it! haha 

Any advice on the toy issue would be appreciated! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    @babymc517: Our dog is super treat-driven, so giving her treats (or even just a taste or nibble) everytime she listened to us helped, whether for leaving a toy or the baby alone (if she was too close) or for being quiet and calm in general.

I like your idea to give her a dog toy when the baby has a toy, that sounds good to try. It also sounds like she's more praise-driven than mine, so lots of petting and good girls should help. Conversely, if she's misbehaving or going after a baby toy, picking her up and setting her aside/away from you/away from where she wants to be, would be something to try. She might get the connection of: playing with a baby toy means being put in another room. Sometimes dogs pick up on those messages quick, after just a few tries!

This has been mentioned before (starphish?) but lots of dog walks can help to accept the baby as part of the pack; also one-on-one time between just dog and adult can be a good break for everyone, too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BabyMC517The toy thing is rough! Quincy, who never gets into things, sometimes does think that things are his. For instance, I had this cute little stuffed schnauzer that went on the tree. Well, it looks like one of his toys, why wouldn't it be? Typically I take it from his with a firm (but not mean) "No" then put it out of reach and give him one of his toys it helps.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @BabyMC517 You mentioned she does really well with "leave it", so I would use that to it's full potential right away with the baby's toys so she knows they're off limits. And as you said, making sure she has her own toys will be helpful. If she does go for the baby's toy, "leave it" and redirect her to her own toy. If she does it again immediately, I agree with the suggestion @SKZW gave to remove her from the space for a few minutes. Then, give her the option to come back. If she does it again, you can repeat with "leave it" first, then remove from the space for a longer period of time if she persists. She'll understand that you mean business when you tell her to "leave it", and if she doesn't listen, that means she doesn't get to participate.
  • Options
    Thanks @SKZW and @nda_roxybabe! I think she'll be good with the firm "no" and replacing the toy (that does look like hers) with one hat is actually hers will work. 

I live the walk idea, especially walking with the stroller before baby comes to get her used to it! She can be skittish which makes sense since she's so small. I think that will help a lot! 

• Options
    @starphish18: you're a smart lady... both for the dog ideas, and for agreeing with me, haha...
  • Options
    Thanks @starphish18! I think we posted at the same time so I didn't see it before I hit post! She will hate being put in a different room which will probably make her stop right away haha