Infertility
Options

Low sperm count to NO sperm count

Over the past year, we have seen multiple RE's and a urologist due to my husband's low sperm count.  Different medications were tried, but the count never increased and motility decreased.  Our new RE said we could do IVF with ICSI, and we are in the process now with retrieval set for mid to end February.  When he went to freeze a sample today, they found ONE non-motile sperm.  We have an appointment with our doctor on Monday and he will re-test on Tuesday, but I am crushed since we've never had a test result like this before.  I am trying to remain optimistic, but I am feeling pretty crushed.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and seen the counts increase?

Re: Low sperm count to NO sperm count

• Options
    @Annie034 --I haven't experienced this exact situation, since we are still trying to figure out our zero sperm diagnosis, but I know that crushed feeling. :( Since your DH had a higher count before, maybe this was just a bad day for some reason and the count will scoot back up next week. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Options
    Yes we had a similar situation. The first time my husbands sample was tested he had seven. He has been seeing a urologist and they put him on conceptionxr it's an over the counter male fertility vitamin and before we did IVF with icsi they tested his sample again and it was six million. you should ask his urologist about this stuff. It tends to lower testosterone which lowers motility so he was also put on prescriptions to help with that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is there any indication for the sperm retrieval procedure? I forget the term. My friend's husband did IVF and had to do this because his semen showed no sperm but he was producing them. Caused by previous hernia repair surgery.  Just a thought,  they have a beautiful 8 year old.  

Married: October 2014

Me: 35 DH: 39

TTC since November 2014

Diagnosis: Anovulation from PCOSish without syndrome, Male factors - low motility and morphology issues

April-Sept. 2015 - Clomid and TI - BFN

Dec. 2015- HSG - Clear tubes

Jan., Feb., March 2016 - Letrozole 7.5mg and TI with HCG trigger= BFN

April, May, June 2016 - Letrozole 7.5mg and IUI with HCG trigger= BFN

September 2016 - IVF round #1;ER 9/26 with ICSI on 14 eggs - developed mild OHSS. 

Sept 2016 - 12 non-PGS embryos frozen (5 5AAs)

FET #1 Jan 16, 2017 - BFP!- MC at 6W5d

FET #2 May 8, 2017 - BFP! EDD 1-24-2018

• Options
    Our numbers have decreased after seeing the urologist for a year. We do plan to ask about the sperm retrieval and hopefully get some good news this week. 
  • Options
    *lurking* 

@JESSABER0414 I believe you may be thinking of the Micro TESE procedure.

My DH had to have that procedure done bc all his SA's showed 0 sperm, even after being on Clomid for 3 months due to low testosterone. He had the procedure done & the doctor retrieved vials of sperm. Apparently he makes sperm but for some reason they arent strong enough to make it out of the testicles.

*TW*
    IVF + ICSI worked for us after the procedure. I hope you get good news this week @annie034

****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16
  • Options
    @capps42613 did you have any testing done on your embryos? The gene mutation that causes cystic fibrosis comes in many variations and sometimes the only "symptom" for men is infertility due to an incomplete vas deferens (the tube that connects the testes to the ureter....hence how the sperm get from point A to point B). I would be curious to see if your husband has a CFTR mutation. If he does it would be important for you to be tested too as it increases your chances of children with CF if you both have one. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @capps42613 that's really great!! My husband was also on Clomid and it didn't increase his counts. I'm hoping that since he's had some sperm, even though the counts were low, they're still there. 
  • Options
    @PoeMasque We didn't do PGD/PGS testing on our embryos. We only had 2/6 survive so we transferred both. (I have low AMH on top of his issue  :|) So we literally had 1 golden egg. During his initial testing with the urologist he had a genetic screening done and everything came back negative.
    ****Siggy TW****
    natural pregnancy: 2008 
    Me: 28 (Hypothyroid), DH: 35
    Together since: 2010
    Married: 2013
    TTC: 2013
    Infertility: severe MFI, low AMH (0.5)
    Met RE: January 2016
    ER: 3/14 (4 follies, 6 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized)
    fresh 3dt of 2 embryos= BFP (1 implanted)
    EDD w/ baby boy= 12/6/16