Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

UO Thursday 2/2/17

2»

Re: UO Thursday 2/2/17

• Options
    izza2 said:
    My UO:
    I don't like the word "fat" when it comes to describing a body size.
    have fat, I am not my fat.
    So, don't call me "fat".

As for the "bigger is better" "real women have curves" "big is beautiful" discussion: I think every person is beautiful, regardless of their size. After being bullied when I was younger and that resulting in severe body dysmorphia, I try to find some beautiful quality in each person I meet, whether it may be in their personality or their physical appearance. You can be healthy and be overweight or obese. You can be unhealthy and be overweight or obese. You can be healthy or unhealthy and be of a "normal" weight. You can be healthy or unhealthy and be underweight. I do not believe anyone should be considered beautiful purely because of their weight or size.
    Weight affects and is effected by your health status; it is not the defining value for it.

I also don't prescribe to the ideal that you must be eating healthy and exercising at every opportunity to be considered beautiful if you're overweight. Moderation is key, and I would never tell someone that they're ugly or judge them for occasionally eating a burger instead of a healthier option, or a piece of cake instead of opting out.
    All of the bolded is exactly why I do not agree with the "RWHC" faux-bodi-posi movement, and exactly what I was trying to explain. They are preaching that you are beautiful if you are bigger when they should just simply say:

You are beautiful

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LuND @kiwi2628 That's probably the hardest thing for me to bite my tongue on, especially since my family is all mostly morbidly obese.

Having to explain to my mother that a salad is not healthy when you drown it in ranch dressing, bacon bits, too much cheese AND croutons is literally depressing.

Just because it's sitting on a bed of greens does not make it any less fattening. 

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    kiwi2628 said:
    antoto said:
    This is a beautiful conversation happening in here.

Barring serious health problems, likely relating to hormone dysfunction, paralysis, etc, it is extremely unlikely that you would be morbidly obese and truly exclusively eat nutrient dense food and get adequate exercise.  It's mathematically impossible.  I would love to see younger kids given proper education on real health (without interruption from organizations like Monsanto).  Too many people think they are eating healthy when they absolutely are not.  And that sucks because they think they are doing what's best for themselves.  That's tough.

Ding ding ding ding! Like, how many people think yogurt is healthy? Most people. And it is because traditional yogurt is, but dannon and all those brands, even fage and all those have so much effing sugar and so little protein left in them. Yoplait yogurt has 27 g of sugar in it. A can of coke has 33 g. Just for comparison. Education is SO important.
    This.  I would actually love for people to discontinue say "healthy food"  and instead say "nutrient dense".  I think that term simplifies it WAY more.  "Is this healthy?" is way more of a broad question than "is this nutrient dense?"

• Options
    The lack of knowledge around food is crazy, and @kiwi2628 and @lund's examples of yogurt and pasta "salad" are two excellent examples.  A lot of yogurt, if you read the ingredients, you couldn't even tell what flavor it is (try that next time you're in the grocery aisle).  When you go to a restaurant and get a salad, a lot of times they put so much stuff on it it's no longer healthy.  

I'm also a big fan of moderation.  I believe everyone, fat or skinny or somewhere inbetween, should be able to have a "treat" every once and a while.  Trust me. I love my ice cream and I will never cut it out of my diet.  But on days I have ice cream, I try and make sure I have some super healthy choices too (diet and/or working out wise).  It's about finding balance.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yeah I would also add in that really good food is significantly less available in certain parts of the US, specifically low income areas.  If you don't have the money or the ability to shop at Whole Foods or Sprouts or Trader Joes then suddenly buying great food is just hard!  Because there are great ice creams that aren't as bad for you as Breyer's or whatever, but it's not sold at WalMart.  Although shout out to Target.  I noticed they are carrying a wider range of organic/alternative options.

There are so many delicious, nutrient dense snacks at places like Sprouts.  But they are more expensive and less available.  It's lame.

ETA Oh my goodness and @Dilynne anyone who wouldn't be happy for you to get your BFP because of the size of your body is a freaking JERK. *hugs*

• Options
    antoto said:
    *SNIP*

ETA Oh my goodness and @Dilynne anyone who wouldn't be happy for you to get your BFP because of the size of your body is a freaking JERK. *hugs*

Agree 1000000%! @Dilynne we love you and will be so so so happy for you when you get your BFP!
  • Options
    NYTino24 said: mm
    @LuND I think a lot of us agree. I feel like the prices go up soooo much at restaurants and florists. My birthday is about two weeks after and DH always waits until after the VDay price drop for jewelry. I also don't eat Valentine chocolate. I'm not really a chocolate person unless it's mixed with other stuff like Twix or Snickers anyway. 
    My favorite GIF!!!!!