July 2016 Moms
Options

February Randoms!

12346»

Re: February Randoms!

• Options
    When it is 80-85 degrees all night long, her feet stay plenty warm! If she's in our room with AC then she does wear footed pajamas or a cotton sleep sack. In really hot weather babies can also sleep in just a short sleeve onesie. 
  • Options
    I feel like a total idiot for not just thinking of a onesie. So obvious. It gets so hot here that even at night sometimes the a/c doesn't cool as much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When is everyone starting sippy cups?  I have a few various ones I got as shower gifts.  Some of them say they're ok for 6+ months...I've kind of played with giving one to her- obviously for play/getting familiar rather than the purpose of actually drinking- and it just seemed sooo early, like she is completely clueless and not really interested.
  • Options
    I just started and I've heard that they can starting at 6 months. Something I didn't know, though, is that sippy cups aren't actually a developmental milestone - we're supposed to be teaching them to drink out of actual cups! I started with the 360 kind that are spill proof but don't have the spout. She's actually doing pretty well, but she's had some practice with the handles I bought for her regular bottles.
  • Options
    Interesting!...That is the kind we were playing with last night!  She held the handles well but mostly just held it upside down so she could chew on it easier...go figure. 
  • Options
    Summer pjs have been covered...what about summer attire? MIL bought S some shorts for this summer and DH was all excited because he hadn't thought of shorts for her (he & I mostly wear jeans - even in summer). What does everyone plan to dress their soon-to-be 1/1 year olds in this summer?
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 Q won't drink out of a sipping cup. He only wants my glasses! He drinks out of my water bottle, cups, and anything with a straw. I had someone tell me that cups are better anyways so his refusal for sippy cups turned to be a good thing I guess! 
  • Options
    @HoneyBear40 I wish we could get away with jeans here. The humidity is killer. We've been buying baby J sets with shorts, dresses and just plain onesies. Plus it's been in the 90's the last week so she's been living in onesies. I also got her a few tees this weekend at the carters buy one get 2 sale. 
  • Options
    We bought the Munchkin Click Lock Weighted Straw cup and he does really well with it! He's gotten so good with the straw that he can drink out of mine at restaurants now, but we also practice sipping out of the side of a glass. Took a little longer for him to keep the water in his mouth, but he's really gotten the hang of it now!
  • Options
    I need to up my game on the cup drinking! 
  • Options
    M has 2. One is MAM brand with handles I got it because of its size, its small. I also got her one of the 360 degree spoutless ones. So far, she could care less. I put it on the highchir with water at her meal times. 
  • Options
    We put a little water in L's 360 cup and put it with him on the floor when he's playing daily (since around 6-6 1/2 months) I occasionally show him (again) how to take a drink out of it. He sometimes gets a little,  but mostly plays with it. I figure exploratory play is the best way for him to figure it out.  He does like drinking out of water bottles, and tries to drink out of regular cups. He likes the idea of straws,  but doesn't quite get the concept yet. 
  • Options
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there a point where you're supposed to offer milk in the cup instead of bottle? When? I've only done water in those straw cups at mealtimes, but hadn't really thought about milk...
  • Options
    I read recently that it's best for baby's teeth to switch from bottle to sippy cup by 1 year old. I'm going to start giving DD2 breast milk in the cup instead of the bottle a few times per week. We do no water per pedi recommendations. 

When DD1 turned 1, I replaced 1 nursing session with a cup of cow's milk. I continued to drop 1 session of nursing every few weeks while replacing with a cup of cows milk until I was only nursing before bed at night. I dropped that at 18 months. 
  • Options
    I feel like I have been MIA around here for the last week or 2. I guess life happens.

I just introduced sippys to C 2 weeks ago. He has one of the spoutless 360 cups & a nuk one with a spout. He loves to drink water from them but he hasn't quite mastered holding the cup in the right position himself yet. He's really good at whacking it off the dinner table and throwing it on the floor though.

I have said since C was born that he's it for me, no more babies, but now I'm thinking maybe someday I'll give him a sibling (assuming I find myself back in a loving, healthy relationship in the future.) I have really just been missing being pregnant lately. Time goes so fast...

I think we will be done breastfeeding soon and I didn't expect to be as sad about it as I am. We almost didn't even breastfeed; it took 3 weeks for C to "get" it (I EPed during that time) and it was smooth sailing after that. But now my crazy work schedule, coupled with C loving baby food & eating 2-3 small meals a day, and him sleeping through the night...my supply has really tanked. He is only nursing twice a day most days now, and I just really appreciate that time together. I'm thankful we were able to breastfeed at all & that we've kept it up as long as we have.

I have recently become obsessed with LuLaRoe. I never realized they were more than just leggings! I went to a party with some girls from work last month and my collection has been steadily growing since then. I love how comfortable & flattering everything is & that I actually feel put together. I've had a hard time figuring out how to dress my mom bod.

Clearly I'm a wealth of random thoughts tonight. Sorry for the novel.

• Options
    So is it or is it not ok to give babies water? The pedi at the hospital when he was born said no water, but I didn't really think to ask how long. And I see kind of vague guidelines online. It looks like on this thread some of you are and some aren't, so I'm just curious what you've heard. My mom keeps asking if he's allowed to have it and I keep telling her I need to find out and then I never have. 8 months in and I'm still completely winging this, is this just how all motherhood is? Lol
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    1. My oldest is 10. Motherhood (for me) has been a combination of educating myself and deciding what I feel is best, trusting my gut, and winging it. 

2. Our ped said we could introduce up to (maximum) 4 ounces a day via sippy. I didn't even think to ask pro/cons. I'm curious now what the negatives are! 

• Options
    My pediatrician recommended giving her sips of water at meal times (which are right after giving her a bottle so it is not replacing her milk intake) not only for practice with a sippy cup, but because formula has been constipating her ever since we made the switch. She maybe drinks an ounce a day. 

My sister in law told me the 360 ones are weird and she doesn't like them, but now that you guys have all been mentioning them I am going to order one and try it! I thought they were really cool and seemed to be a better transition to drinking out of a cup. I really want to start giving her formula out of the sippy cup and then try giving her cold bottle from the fridge. I think that might make it easier when we switch to cows milk? 
  • Options
    @kburg15 I have read the same thing about the timeline.  NO water at all before 6 months because of water intoxication but from 6 months-1 year water should not take the place of formula/BM but it is ok to have a little. 

I didn't quite understand the 360 ones until I tried it myself and shook it and it is definitely spill proof.  I personally like the concept...we shall find out if S does!

I'm guessing sippy cups will be much like bottles.  I'm thinking we will have to try out a few types before we find the "right" one.
  • Options
    My pedi said babies under 1 don't need water (unless it's a special circumstance like shaylair) and that you don't want them to have empty calories when they could have breast milk or food. I'm sure it's fine if it's just a little water to practice drinking. I just know some of my neighbors try to fill their babies up with water when it's warm out (they aren't from the US and it's normal to do that in their culture). Since I live in a very diverse area, maybe my pedi lists this on her advice sheet that babies don't need water because she knows it's common in other cultures and that many of her patients are doing it? 

DD1 hated bottles but took to a sippy cup quickly so DH gave her breast milk in a sippy cup whenever I was gone. He's going to start doing this with DD2 even though she does well with a bottle. 
  • Options
    We give him a sippy cup w a bottle type spout.. https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Fashion-Elephants-Learner-Patterns/dp/B00BEVSSDA/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488387509&sr=8-4&keywords=nuk+sippy+cup with water each time hes eating solids to get used to one we did that with my first son too..they dont actually drink much.  He will grab for it and put it in his mouth.  We used this same sippy cup with bottle type texture spout when transitioning away from bottles.https://www.amazon.com/NUK-Designs-Learner-Patterns-10-Ounce/dp/B002QCPQ0E/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488387509&sr=8-2&keywords=nuk+sippy+cup We tried pretty much every type of sippy cup with my first and he only liked these super cheap ones from walmart or target.  We still use them with him with or without the lid on them. https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Spill-Proof-Sippy-Ounce/dp/B000096M59/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488387576&sr=8-2&keywords=take+and+toss+cup

• Options
    We have the 360 sippy cup and she plays with it more than actually drinks. Our pedi ok'ed after she battled constipation a lot. So she drinks water with her meals. It has seemed to help. I've actually been able to feed her twice a day now versus just once. 
  • Options
  • Options
     i haven't actually tried a sippy cup /no spill with Declan yet but do plan on giving him one with just a tiny bit of water to allow him to explore and play.  he does however love to grab my water bottle and my coffee cup and bring that to his lips. lol.