August 2017 Moms
Options

Testing

Has anyone had their NT Scan & Serum Screen done yet? I'm leaning towards having it done but is it the same as the tests that detects gender as well? The paper I have says it screens for Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18 & 13. I dot believe this testing was available with my first pregnancy.  There's no name brand for the test. They just call it NT scan and Serum Screening. 

Re: Testing

• Options
    NxyNxy member
    edited January 2017
    Try reading through this and see if it's got some of the answers you're looking for:
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12699328/young-ftm-what-prenatal-testing-are-you-doing

Edit can't spell
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The NT scan will not detect gender (unless your technician feels confident they could give you a guess!). It's a sonogram that they use to measure fluid on the back of the baby's neck. They also check their heart and cord flow. They typically do draw blood but it's to search for PAP-AA (don't quote me on the actual hormone name) and usually if the numbers are high it can signal possible down syndrome. The blood test that detects chromosome abnormalities and gender is the NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing). I don't think they typically offer those tests to just anyone. I just had my NIPT drawn last Friday because I have a previous loss from a chromosome abnormality. My NT scan isn't for another week yet. Up to you what you want to do :) From my previous experience I do suggest the screening just so you don't have any surprises. Many people don't do them though. Don't feel pressured by anyone to have it done. They can be very expensive depending on your insurance. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have my genetic screening blood panel scheduled for next Friday. The type of test my OB's office uses is called "Panaroma". It's a simple blood draw, and you get the results back in 3-5 days, including the sex of the baby.