February 2016 Moms

Birthday Presents

Hi ladies! I had a question about birthday presents. We are all getting close to first birthdays/ parties. I was wondering what the proper "birthday party etiquite" would be for opening presents? Are they supposed to be opened in front of everyone at the party or taken home to open later? I'm torn. I assume people that bring gifts would want to see them opened by LO but at the same time I feel like it's going to be a very busy day and she will get tired out pretty quickly? Also, what is everyone else getting their LO's for their first birthday? I feel like she has a bunch of stuff already from Christmas so I'm stuck there too. Thanks for any advice!

Re: Birthday Presents

• When I was a kid, we always opened once everyone had gone. I think we will do the same. That way if she totally rejects a gift, the person who gave it won't see hehe! Abd we won't lose track of who gave what in the madness
  • jmcooke25jmcooke25 member
    edited January 2017
    @smn14 That's definitely the way I've been leaning. I just didn't want to come off as rude! Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • We always opened presents after cake BC everyone always wanted to c.I guess that's what well be doing. I'm actually considering a swing set for lo he LOVES to swing at the park its been a pretty mild winter here hopefully it stays that way so he can use it.
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited January 2017
    We will open gifts while everyone is here after cake. We're not having a big party though. If you are having a big party, LO may be tuckered out so waiting till later may be best. It's your child and your party so do what you feel is right. Simply put no matter what you decide there may always be someone who you can't satisfy, so don't waste energy trying to please everyone. Whatever you decide will be A-OK! And your main attraction is really all that matters. 
    As far as gifts, we bought some mega blocks and are going with outside toys for the spring and summer. We told family and the couple friends that are invited that LO could use some outside stuff, 18 month summer clothes or just showing up for some live entertainment will be good enough too. 
  • I plan to do gifts after people have left. I'm sure H's family will want to see her open them but as stated, you can't please everyone. Maybe when DD is older we can open gifts in front of people but at this age, they don't really understand and they get tired with lots of people around. Honestly, DD will probably be confused with everyone looking at her and start crying lol 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are having a small family party, so we will open gifts together. He won't be getting major toys. We are asking for a bike seat + accessories (helmet, windshield, pillow, poncho, etc.), so I can ride around with him on my bike. 
  • robinj716robinj716 member
    edited January 2017
    We are having a family party. It was supposed to be small, our RSVP count just came in at 45. That is all family, with the exception of 4 friends. I'm totally freaking out as I don't even know how I'm going to fit everyone. This is what happens when you marry a Mexican man!!! Big family! 

As as far as opening gifts, I plan to do it while people are there, but I may do it while people are eating, because I'm sure LO will be tired. I guess we will play it by ear.

My son has entirely too many toys for indoors, so I told people they can get him stuff for outdoors. We bought LO a wagon. A friend got him a little tikes slide and my aunt got a water play table and the grow with me trike. 
  • jmcooke25jmcooke25 member
    edited January 2017
    @robinj716 We are looking at around 45 people too. Like you, it's almost entirely family. It's definitely not easy having two big families! Lol Opening the gifts while people are eating is a great idea!
  • A&LmommyA&Lmommy member
    edited January 2017
    Our daughter's 1st bday went pretty well so we'll try for a repeat with lil man. Just having a small party with close family and we open presents about a hr and a half in. As for 1st bday presents, we get them a memory box and their first good pair of shoes (stride rites). We bought a jewelry/storage box at Things Remembered and engrave it with a lil message, their full name and Happy 1st Birthday. Whenever we go someplace special, we get a pressed penny or put admission stubs in there. It's something that will last through the years as they grow up.