May 2017 Moms
Options

Anterior Placenta Ladies, Stop In!

I'm struggling with having anterior placenta this time. I felt DD so much more! Anyone want to chat delayed/less movement with me? 

1. How far along are you?
2. FTM or STM+? If STM+, did you have an anterior placenta with your first/others?
3. What kind of movement are you feeling?
May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

Re: Anterior Placenta Ladies, Stop In!

• Options
    Yes please! Thanks @KMD1106 for starting this!

Baby will be 21 weeks tomorrow. STM and didn't have anterior placenta with DD. 

Feeling a lot of stretching and an occasional kick low right side. We have a follow up U/S in 3 weeks because Baby wasn't into turning for heart photos. I'm interested to see baby's position since it feels like we've been in the same general area for a bit now. 
  • Options
    Yes, I have an anterior placenta too and I am a FTM. I'm 21w5d today and I'm only feeling rolling sensations like something is rolling or flipping in my belly. I started feeling this on a daily basis since last Thursday, so I assume it's baby girl moving or kicking. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm 22 weeks with anterior placenta. I had it with my first too. On our anatomy ultrasound she kicks like crazy and I didn't feel any of it. I feel her more consistently now. But Hubby can't feel her from the outside yet. 
  • Options
    I also had an anterior placenta with DS. This time around I kind of expected it! I'm 22 weeks and I still don't feel much! I really started feeling things last time around 25 weeks so maybe that's how it will go this time!
  • Options
    My placenta is attached to the right front side, so the tech said it wasn't truly anterior but I probably wouldn't feel any movements on the right side for awhile! As this is baby #3 it's so weird to feel so little kicks, I'm 21wks and barely feel any movement and it's only on the left side if I do. It makes me anxious between appointments wondering if everything is ok! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    I'm 21 weeks and a 3TM.  Honestly, if they didn't tell me I had an anterior placenta during my scan last week I never would have known.  I felt this baby way sooner than I felt my first two.  They said my placenta was high, whereas my other two had low lying or placenta Previn at this point, so maybe that's why?

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I'm 22 weeks, STM, and just in the last few days only started feeling kicks up by my belly button. I'm guessing the placenta is sitting lower, because I never feel anything lower. @lnds32, it's good to hear your experience! Hopefully things will pick up around here then too. 

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    @PghMom412, I hope baby cooperates for the next U/S!

@h&p, I get concerned too. I can't wait for consistent movement! 

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    1. How far along are you? 22 weeks 1day

2. FTM or STM+? If STM+, did you have an anterior placenta with your first/others? Second time mom, I didn't have an anterior placenta with my first.

3. What kind of movement are you feeling? Baby A has an anterior placenta. I couldn't feel her at all until the last week or so. I feel her occasionally, but not as strong as Baby B's movements feel and definitely not as frequent. I think she has to be just in the right position for me to be able to feel her. I sometimes get worried when I go longer stretches of not feeling movement. Most of the movement that I do feel from her is on my side, which is kind of weird, but if I lay on my left side at night I can feel little thumps from her usually.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 22+5, FTM. I'm feeling more consistent thumps that started last week. Mostly when I'm lying down though, so late at night and first thing in the morning. Rarely are they strong enough for me to notice during the day when I'm up and about, but it does happen once in a while. It's so exciting to finally feel him moving though! Definitely relieves some of the anxiety. DH is really wanting to feel him. Any STM who have btdt remember when you could feel movement from the outside with an anterior placenta?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    DH is really wanting to feel him. Any STM who have btdt remember when you could feel movement from the outside with an anterior placenta?
    I have the same question!!

I'm a FTM 23 weeks, with an anterior placenta. I just started feeling her this week, primarily at night and after I eat. It's so cool! My hubs is also anxiously awaiting to be able to feel. So I'm curious when dads/ spouses were able to feel. 
  • Options
    I think you could feel movement from the outside around 30 weeks last time. The movement definitely gets more intense as the baby gets bigger! I know after 32 weeks I could feel A LOT of movement all the time!
  • Options
    1. How far along are you? 21+ 3

2. FTM or STM+? If STM+, did you have an anterior placenta with your first/others?
    I'm a STM and I had an anterior placenta the first time as well. 

I've been feeling some movements since about 16ish weeks, but they've gotten much stronger in the past week or so. Usually, when I sit still or lay on my side, little guy starts moving around. I can feel kicks (or punches or butt movement, who knows?) from the outside as of a few days ago. 

@PghMom412 - Good luck at your follow up! My boy also refused to get into the proper position to get heart views. The tech actually had me get up and "wiggle around" to get him to move....but no dice. I go back tomorrow morning to try again!
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    @kayemjay2 I was wiggling, even tried emptying my bladder, and changing positions to my side for the rest of the U/S and the baby just wouldn't budge. Lots of kicking and arm movements though! Good luck with your follow up!
  • Options
    Lurking from the June board. I am a STM, currently 17 weeks. With my DD, I had a posterior placenta and felt movement as early as 14 weeks. I have felt almost nothing so far, aside from a few things that felt like kicks, but could have been gas. I was told at my 12 week scan that it is anterior this time around. I am so glad I knew ahead of time, otherwise I'd be freaking out that I haven't felt much yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to feel regular movements in the coming weeks!
  • Options
    fbmandy55fbmandy55 member
    edited January 2017
    1. How far along are you? 

25+1

STM, did not have anterior placenta with DS. 

Pressure from the inside, kicks that feel like I'm being flicked with a finger. No one has been able to feel movement from outside. 

It's even a bigger bummer for me because my pregnancy with DS was when I was very young and in an abusive relationship. It was not a happy pregnancy. I really wished that DS and DH would be able to enjoy feeling the movement of this baby but so far nothing. My doctor said most likely when I get closer to 32+ weeks. 
  • Options
    STM, had an anterior placenta with my first too, this one is to the front left, so not the whole front like DS1 was, so feeling a lot more and was feeling sooner this time around but still mainly on the RHS where there is no placenta.
    23 weeks and H felt movement last week, although I could feel movement from outside for a few weeks beforehand he just isn't patient enough
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    1. How far along are you? 23w+4d

2. FTM or STM+? If STM+, did you have an anterior placenta with your first/others? STM. I don't recall ever being told that I had an anterior placenta with my first pregnancy, so I'm going to assume that I didn't. 

3. What kind of movement are you feeling?I started feeling what I'd describe as "flicks" in my stomach at around 20w. I am now feeling much stronger movement when I do feel it, but it only happens during certain periods of the day....mostly when I'm just relaxing or before bed at night. DH has been able to feel a few kicks just within the past few days.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    1. 21w
    2. FTM
    3. I don't feel any :(. Ive still been hanging on to my
    doppler.  If I wasn't big in the belly I wouldn't feel pregnant at all this trimester.  Hoping to feel some
    movements soon!  Also super glad I've got company in the anterior placenta department. 
  • Options
    Also a FTM @21 Weeks with an anterior placenta. The only "movements" I've felt still feel like gas, but I know I can't possibly have that much gas so some has to be baby! (Right? Hah!) I'm ready to feel her move around more and I think MH will be excited when he can feel her too
  • Options
    I'm thankful for this post. My husband sort of mocks me for it, but I talk about the anterior placenta a lot. This time around it is a psychological issue for me, though. I liked being pregnant the first time around because it was all new and interesting, and with a younger and fitter body I didn't have as many problems anyway. But with successive pregnancies I have frankly NOT enjoyed being pregnant. I consider it a means to an end. I don't even like newborns, so I consider everything from pregnancy to age 1 or so to be a means to an end. Anyhow, the ONLY thing I like about pregnancy is fetal movement. It is really cool. First time around I had a posterior placenta and was one of those ladies with the REALLY crazy belly. You could see the movement from across the room in mid-to-late pregnancy, as well as through lots of layers of clothes (I gave birth in December, so I was pretty well clothed at the end). You could feel and see it from the outside pretty early on, like 15 weeks or so. It rocked.

So I was very disappointed the second time around when I had an anterior placenta, also surprised that it was taking LONGER to feel movement even though it's supposed to be earlier with successive pregnancies. This time around I was truly hoping for another posterior but got another anterior. Though I didn't have the worry of "is it enough movement" this time like I did last time (now that I know what to expect with anterior), this time I'm sadder about it because I know it's our last one. I also feel like the lack of visible and feel-from-the-outside movement is a waste because this is the time I have three family members who would love to experience it. It would have been so nice to have had movement like with #1 this time for the kids to get to experience.

In terms of your original question, I actually do still feel quite a bit of movement (perhaps a good bit more than this stage last time, though it's hard to remember.) It just mostly feels like big, muted, very interior movements, as though they baby is flipping over. The movement is not particularly localized, like the whole belly might tremble from a big move. Occasionally I have a jabbier, more precisely localized feelings that do feel like they're on the outside. Sure enough, these occur at the perimeter -- near the sides of the belly or way down low. Absolutely never anywhere near the middle / belly button. Also, these are very small and rare movements. One day I was getting these totally weird but unmistakable feelings of the baby kicking around at my colon. When I felt that I was reminded I did feel that quite a bit with #2, but much later on in the pregnancy (when you feel the baby EVERYWHERE.)

These interior movements are definitely interesting in their own right, but the exterior ones are way better. For those of you having more children, I hope you get to experience posterior placentas, too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @rkstro2, I'm using my friend's doppler, and I'm so glad I have it. It really helps me feel better. She's expecting now too, and I don't want to give it back. ;)

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    @rkstro2 and @KMD1106 I've never used a home doppler, but it's probably good that I'm getting a good amount of movement anyway and I'm not trying to rely on a doppler. Every single appointment this time around it takes the midwife (different person almost each time) forever to find the heartbeat, and when she gets it, it sounds really far away. And she even says such. Last time around I don't think it was as bad, even with the anterior placenta both times. But I know that this placenta is contributing to that! I'm sure if I had a doppler I'd never be able to find the heartbeat and it would freak me out.

• Options
    @kat81, they definitely have their cons. It takes awhile sometimes to find it. Tonight was super quick. They are nice to have, but I don't think I would have bought one myself. Passing it back and forth between friends is nice though!

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    I'm 21w4d and a STM.  I did not have an anterior placenta with DD so it's strange not to feel this baby move much.  The movements I do feel are more like rolls than kicks and aren't very frequent.  My whole stomach would move around with DD, but don't know if I'll get to that point with this one 
  • Options
    @kat81, I could have written your post. I was so bummed to find out that I have another anterior placenta. I feel silly being bummer about it because I know there are so many issues (placental and otherwise) that women face. I'm incredibly thankful for having a healthy pregnancy, but I really wanted to experience the increased movement that comes with a posterior placenta. I also was paranoid last time about lack of movement, and went in for monitoring twice. It's such a mind game once you get to the kick counts.

In the good news department, I went back for my follow up anatomy scan today, and baby cooperated! His heart looks "outstanding" and he is still a boy! I still have marginal placenta previa, so will have another ultrasound at the end of February to check up on that. 
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    @kayemjay2, yay for a healthy heart!

Did you struggle to get the kick counts? I'm nervous about getting to that point and being constantly paranoid. 

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    @KMD1106 - Yeah, kick counts were a bit of a struggle. When I went in to L&D for monitoring due to lack of movement, he appeared to me moving around a ton, I just couldn't feel most of it! I'm a small person, so they were a bit surprised at how little I could feel even with an anterior placenta. So far, I think this kid is more active and/or stronger than his brother was at this stage- hopefully that remains the case!
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    Also have an anterior placenta. I'm 24 weeks and feel movement once in awhile (mostly at night) but it's pretty "muted". Being a FTM I'm a little sad that I may not get to experience all the kicks and feelings as quickly or intensely. 
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and 24 weeks.  I felt movement around 17/18 weeks. It kind of felt like the baby rolling around. Now, I definitely feel kicks, but sporadically throughout the day. It feels like twitches, but DH has been able to feel them on the outside too. They're becoming more regular, but there's still a lot of time when I don't feel anything.
  • Options
    When you ladies feel definite kicks, are they always right around the same area? I really only feel baby right around my belly button, never anywhere else (except maybe that tickle feeling on the sides). 

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    Yes. Always on my left lower abdomen. I always feel them stronger when I'm laying on my left side which unfortunately makes it hard for DH to feel them. 
  • Options
    @KMD1106 Yes, I always feel them on my left side, but I know my placenta is right side so it makes sense! I have yet to feel anything on the right side. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    I feel them all over the perimeter and now this baby is strong enough to make bigger, duller movements sort of in the middle. But my placenta must be at my belly button and surrounding region because the specific kicks are just on the edges and low.

And I feel it on my insides, like my bladder and colon and whatnot.

• Options
    Just got the news today that I belong here! I'm a STM, didn't have it with my first. Most of the movement I feel is low and center, low under my belly button, and even down towards my cervix. It's definitely gotten stronger but is no where near when I was pregnant with DD. 

Since I'm new to the club and can rely on Dr. Google for only so much, mind if I ask some newbie questions? I didn't know what questions to ask my MW until I got home and did research and now I'm curious:
    - Can the placenta move significantly during the 3rd tri to potentially be posterior?
    - Will this impact natural childbirth if the baby is facing towards the stomach? (Is this "sunny side up"?) 

Thanks for for entertaining my ignorance. I'm glad there are so many of us here, puts my nerves at ease

• Options
    Jkp7749Jkp7749 member
    edited January 2017
    I don't know if it can move, mine never did with dd. It's not sunny side up, as far as i understand that term just has to do with the positioning of the baby. Through my labor with dd no one ever mentioned it causing any kind of problem. I did end up with a C section but it wasn't related to that
  • Options
    @chailife34 From my very basic research, my understanding is that the anterior placenta may make the baby sunny side up but there really is no increased risk for it.
    Also your placenta should move more towards the top of your belly as your belly expands naturally. So it would still be anterior. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
  • Options
    kat81kat81 member
    edited January 2017

- Can the placenta move significantly during the 3rd tri to potentially be posterior?
    No I believe it never switches sides like that.

- Will this impact natural childbirth if the baby is facing towards the stomach? (Is this "sunny side up"?)
    Apparently this is more common in anterior placenta babies than posterior, but it's not a big difference, and I think most of the time you can still deliver your baby sunny side up without issue. I don't know how my DD was oriented when she came out (anterior placenta baby #1), but she came out in two contractions so I really can't complain! The DS, the posterior placenta baby, took considerably longer even though he was smaller. It's probably because he was first.

• Options
    kat81 said:
    I feel them all over the perimeter and now this baby is strong enough to make bigger, duller movements sort of in the middle. But my placenta must be at my belly button and surrounding region because the specific kicks are just on the edges and low.

And I feel it on my insides, like my bladder and colon and whatnot.
      SAME! I really feel movements low and they come with a lot of pressure in the lower regions. Sometimes it makes me nauseous. 

Just this week at 27 weeks I'm been feeling a little more movement toward my bellybutton. DH thinks he's felt a couple little bumps now. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies =] you all are great