Baby Names
Options

Baby girl name thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I literally joined theBump just to get baby girl name advice! So, please help, Lol.

I really like the name Lux Rachel.... but, I'm  concerned that because it's not popular most people will think it's "strange" and she'll have to correct people her whole life or get made fun of. What are your thoughts?  Is it
feminine and unique or too "out there". I first heard it when a girl in my son's class had the name and when I looked up the meaning of Lux I loved it even more (it means "light" and is used in reference to the Virgin Mary). Having a huge internal debate here....please help!

Re: Baby girl name thoughts?

• Options
    I heard/read/saw it somewhere a few years ago and I liked it. It isn't a name I personally would use, but I don't see anything wrong with it. 

I totally get your internal struggle, though... one of my favorite girl names is Navy, and I have the same issues with it. But, in the end I figure if DH and I really love it, that should be what matters. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ashleyandelyashleyandely member
    edited January 2017
    I've only heard of this name from Kirsten Dunst's character in The Virgin Suicides. It's okay. I wouldn't worry about it being too out there or anything. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    It always just sounds so sexual to me. Or reminds me of luxury. 

• Options
    We are for sure using the middle name Rachel after my grandmother. We want to stay away from really popular names. We have two boys (Blake and Trent) and I want a name that sounds good when you say all three together, so similar in style to those. I tend to like one or two syllable names better than longer ones. DH and I can't agree on anything, which is making it really hard!
  • Options
    I have a Trent too!

our DD is Giada

Suggesting

Bianca
    Nadia
    Felicity
    Gretchen
    Filomena
    Rosalie
    Audrina
    Kendra
    Corrine
    Celeste
    Olive
    Flora
    Gemma
    Fiona
    Estelle
    Eliza
    Bridgit
    Ingrid

• Options
    I love your boy names. Suggesting:

Names that mean light:
    Dawn
    Ellen
    Lucy/Lucille
    Phoebe
    Elaine
    Lenore

Others:
    Grace
    Amber
    Holly
    Kayla
    Colette
    Autumn
    Tessa
    Brielle
    Cassie
    Lily
    Willow

• Options
    Ada Rachel 
    Alice Rachel 
    Arden Rachel
    Astrid Rachel
    Beatrix Rachel
    Candace Rachel 
    Carina Rachel 
    Carmen Rachel 
    Cecile Rachel 
    Celeste Rachel 
    Charis Rachel 
    Claudia Rachel 
    Colleen Rachel 
    Corinne Rachel 
    Daphne Rachel
    Deirdre Rachel 
    Edith Rachel 
    Eileen Rachel
    Erin Rachel 
    Frances Rachel 
    Fiona Rachel
    Gwyneth Rachel 
    Helen Rachel 
    Ida Rachel 
    Ingrid Rachel 
    Iris Rachel 
    Jacqueline Rachel 
    Judith Rachel 
    Laurel Rachel 
    Leah Rachel 
    Louise Rachel 
    Lucia Rachel 
    Margot Rachel 
    Maris Rachel
    Maxine Rachel 
    Nadia Rachel
    Nadine Rachel
    Nina Rachel 
    Odette Rachel 
    Olga Rachel 
    Opal Rachel 
    Phoebe Rachel 
    Portia Rachel 
    Shana Rachel 
    Sheena Rachel 
    Simone Rachel 
    Velma Rachel 
    Veda Rachel
    Vesta Rachel 
    Viola Rachel 
    Willow Rachel
    Zelda Rachel
    Zoe Rachel 

It's kinda hard to get two two syllable names in a row to flow right, but meaning is more important than flow.

• Options
    I think it sounds kind of sexual or like luxury, too. I don't really like it, and I'm very open minded about names. It also doesn't flow with Rachel or sound like the same style as brothers.
  • Options
    Someone from DD2 bmb named her daughter Lux. I thought it was strange. But now I've heard it a few times since and it's q ok but too out there for me. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    KyleeWallerKyleeWaller member
    edited January 2017
    I think Lux sounds like a NN, but I'm not strongly against it.

I'm wondering if you could use a FN like Alexis/Alexandra/Alexandria and give her the NN Lux. If you think about it, "Alex" can end up sounding like "Al-ux," depending on how people say it.
  • Options
    lux will definitely  be called FUXS

racheal is a beautiful name
  • Options
    Lux makes  think "luxury" which comes off as conceited.  I like PPs suggestion of other names that mean light, especially Lucy
  • Options
    Like a PP noted above, if you use Alexandra or Alexis, the nickname could be Alex or Lex or Lexi
  • Options
    lux will definitely  be called FUXS

racheal is a beautiful name
        Sux
  • Options
    Lux doesn't go stylistically with Trent and Blake at all. What about...

Brynn
    Autumn 
    Jocelyn
    Brooke
    Elle
    Molly
    Paige
    Luna
    Claire
    Greer
    Ivy
    Nora
    Laurel
    Georgia
    Taylor
    Cora
    Mira
    Mila
    Veda
    Lucy

Or just Rachel. It's a lovely name.

• Options
    Like a PP noted above, if you use Alexandra or Alexis, the nickname could be Alex or Lex or Lexi
  • Options
    Through an acquaintance I'd heard of Lux as a nickname. I believe the full name was Louise Beatrix. I think I would go that route with Lux a nickname with a different full name option. I think it could be cute, and after hearing it as a nickname for the above name, I liked it more.

I agree with PP who mentioned the rhyming names and that my initial impression of the name doesn't align with the meaning you mentioned. 
  • Options
    Lux is not feminine to me--how about Luz?  It is Spanish, but much more feminine to me.  Or how about Rachel Lux? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options
    I like Eliza Rachel, with siblings Blake and Trent.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    Reminds me of my guilty pleasure name, Goldie. I would never use it on a human. I plan on getting a puppy with this name that I will spoil!! 
  • Options
    Not sure about Lux. Given what others have said, and that it rhymes with "sucks", I'd avoid it. What about Kaitlyn (call her Kate?) or if you're thinking outside the box "Piper" or 'Scout?"
  • Options
    Lux isn't feminine in my opinion... if you want feminine and unique... olive, Iris, ivy, sage, Fiona, Eloise, Eliza, Clara, Audra, Gemma

i like Fiona Rachel a lot actually.. 
  • Options
    I don't like it. I'm sorry!
  • Options
    I also think it sounds too sexual. NAF. 
  • Options
    I do like unique names but not this one really. If you like short spunky names though here are some suggestions...

Lexi
    Tess
    Remy
    Roxanne (Roxy)
    Cece