June 2017 Moms

NIPT test wrong

LOTON01LOTON01 member
edited January 2017 in June 2017 Moms
anyone every heard of this or ran into it. I just found out today that my gender results were not correct.

Re: NIPT test wrong

• Which part of the the results were incorrect? 
  • Sorry that was confusing. The gender was wrong
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't heard the sex being incorrect but I have seen false negatives aka baby does have a chromosomal anomaly despite low risk results. 

How did they discover the error? 
  • I also had a CVS that saw gender. 
    Doctir said CVS is more accurate. 
  • Is this your first child?  I was told by my OBs that parts of your children's blood/cells will remain and circulate in your body for years after they are born (It's a comforting story for many loss moms, that your babies are always a part of you).  But it made me wonder when they do the NiPT, what if they just happened to get a residual sample from one of my previous pregnancies?  (I am not a scientist or a doctor; this is idle uninformed curiosity).
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Xath I read that as well. However this is my first pregnancy. 
  • YEP!!!!! This happened to me with this baby.  Not with gender but they told me my daughter had Turners Syndrome.  I had to have the FISH test and micro ray from the aminiocentsis to confirm she is fine chromosomally.  It's very stressful and for me it was earth shattering.  
  • Interesting. Sorry you had to do a CVS, I hope the rest of the results came back negative. 
  • @Mother0fDragons Thank you! Everything else looked good.

It just never even crossed my mind the gender could be wrong with the NIPT test.
  • @LOTON01 what did they say the sex was per NIPT and what did they say the sex was per CVS?

I didn't think about the sex being incorrect... I've already started on the nursery and went with more of a boy theme instead of gender neutral like we did for the twins... ::face palm::

I'm thinking I could see it being wrong if done too early where they say girl but it is a boy, but I don't see there being a Y chromosome and then they say girl...
  • I'm having twins the NIPT said it showed Y chromosomes so at least one boy. CVS showed two girls.
  • Shit shit shit.
  • What! That's cray, I haven't heard of this! Info have a friend who is in the 7% where NIPT testing just didn't work at all. 

• @Stankonia2014 haha yup! 

Thays kind of the look the doctor had on his face.
  • Weird that it would capture a rogue Y chromosome...but the NIPT I did specifically said that results for multiples would be less accurate.

My fetal fraction was in the low side so I'm still not convinced there isn't a Y in there that it missed, but I've always thought it was a girl so it'll likely be a quick confirmation at the AS in a few weeks and that's it.
  • I clearly am no expert, but I have also read that the test could pick up a Y in the case of a vanishing twin, or multiple, in your case that was a male. 
  • I would think that if there was a y present, either it is a vanishing twin (triplet?) that was male, or the cvs is somehow wrong. I funny really know anything though, so I guess trust your doctor but maybe wait until the anatomy scan to make any big gender-specific decisions. Glad to hear everything else was good though. Yay for healthy babies!
  • I would think that if there was a y present, either it is a vanishing twin (triplet?) that was male, or the cvs is somehow wrong. I funny really know anything though, so I guess trust your doctor but maybe wait until the anatomy scan to make any big gender-specific decisions. Glad to hear everything else was good though. Yay for healthy babies!
    I'm note sure what happened. I know Vanishing triplet did not because I had IVF and got ultrasounds from consenting weekly so we would have seen something at some point.
  • When is your anatomy scan? 
  • When is your anatomy scan? 
    I'm going back in two weeks to confirm gender.
  • I'm so confused... @xath does that mean for any STM or more it could be wrong as it could be picking up traces of previous children?

I feel like such an ass hat now because I just totally sold a coworker that the test is so great and she should do it... since it wasn't available the last time either of us were pregnant... so if it is picking up previous childrens' DNA it makes me question everything and my results.  I know it is screening and diagnostic though, so not 100%.
  • Wait, what!!!!  I've never heard of this.  I'm calling the genetic counselor.
  • LOTON01 said:
    I would think that if there was a y present, either it is a vanishing twin (triplet?) that was male, or the cvs is somehow wrong. I funny really know anything though, so I guess trust your doctor but maybe wait until the anatomy scan to make any big gender-specific decisions. Glad to hear everything else was good though. Yay for healthy babies!
    I'm note sure what happened. I know Vanishing triplet did not because I had IVF and got ultrasounds from consenting weekly so we would have seen something at some point.

Stuck in the box...

Got it. I have no other ideas then. Hopefully your babes are cooperative for the anatomy scan!
  • No test/screening is 100% perfect. The chances of the NIPT being wrong are super slim according to my OB. Most of ours are probably right....of course I am still waiting until my anatomy scan in two weeks to buy nursery things for my little girl  ;)

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• I believe that MOST of the threat of incorrect sex assessment on NIPT is related to a mother who has previously had a boy, and still has traces of Y chromosome in her blood, where the test picks up that Y even though the baby is actually a girl.  I was told that for FTMs or moms with only daughters, it was as close to 100% as possible, though I could see how perhaps an existing Y chromosome could be somehow missed if the test was done too early or something.  I did Panorama and they did somehow have results for "vanishing twin" (negative for me) so I guess that test at least tries to account for that as much as it can, but the tests are all slightly different.

Did the new sex assessment via CVS come from the cord blood or just from the ultrasound?  I'm really interested to hear what happens when you have your next scan!
  • @delujm0 CVS test results came from the actual test not the ultrasound.
  • How far along were you when they did the test?? I know my OB made us wait a little longer to take it so that it would be more accurate. Just wondering if that could have been a reason for the incorrect read. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I'm so confused... @xath does that mean for any STM or more it could be wrong as it could be picking up traces of previous children?
    No idea!  That was just idle curiosity on my part because of an article I'd read.  I'm assuming if it was a real factor, it would be in the paperwork for the NIPTs.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I didn't have NIPT so I am not really in a place to comment but I have to say...

I am never the one to point out the incorrect of usage of "sex" vs "gender", even though I always notice it now, but I have to say that I am shocked that no one has commented on it yet. OP said it 5 times - I know some of you always jump on this, what happened??? Have you given up??

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • mamaelle27mamaelle27 member
    edited January 2017
    I could be mistaken, but I think I remember my doctor's office telling me the sex result is like 97 or 99% accurate, something like that, so I guess there's a small chance it can be wrong. FWIW, I had the NIPT blood draw at 11 weeks and then had an (unrelated) ultrasound at 16 weeks which confirmed it was accurate, but most people will confirm at the 20 week anatomy scan.

@LOTON01, sorry for the drama and hope you get your confirmation soon.
  • @ellie111227 I feel the way you do but I notice now when people use the words incorrectly and there seems to be a lot of people who get very irritated by it on this board so I just brought it up because I was so surprised to see that there were so many comments and no one said anything about it!

@LOTON01 I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just really had to ask the question because I think this is the first time I have seen it happen and no one commented on it. I'm personally not all that bothered by it.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • @ellie111227 yes and no? My daughter will have her brother's hand me downs and whatever we get her and other people get her. She'll have quite the mix. Also for toys she'll have access to whatever she seems interested in. My son has a broad spectrum of toys both considered "girly" and "boyish". As he is developing preferences we let him decide what he wants to wear, play with, etc.  

Will my daughter have some pink stuff? Sure, probably more than my son but i can't control what people get her. If we are gifted something cute, useable, functional, we'll go with it. 

And their room will be pretty neutral since they're sharing and in a few years may want something different. 

Am i living a perfectly non-gender specific lifestyle with my kids? No. So should I stop using correct terms? No. 
  • And I spoke up about this early early on in the board's history. I was told by certain people they literally did not care. I can't make someone be sensitive to this topic. Sometimes you get tired of correcting internet strangers. 
  • @Mother0fDragons that's pretty much my attitude, too. I am definitely not saying we shouldn't use the correct terms, just that I think it is interesting that so many people jump on using the word gender before birth but I haven't seen anyone discouraging others from planning to gender  their child hardcore as soon as they are born. I was wondering how people thought through those contradictions. Thanks for your answer!