TTC After a Loss

***January Benched ***

Re: ***January Benched ***

• @vlagrl29 glad to hear you had a good appt. Just wanted to throw one thing out there....I'm not sure what your cycles look like but progesterone should be drawn at 7dpo, not cd21. Doctors use cd21 assuming everyone has a 28 daycycle with O on cd14. For me sometimes I don't even O til cd21 so for 6 months or so when I wasn't tracking my OB was telling me I wasn't ovulating based on low cd21 progesterone numbers when in reality she was drawing them far too early for someone with my cycle length. 

Hope this helps a little :)
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    BFP 2/4/15, MC twin boys at 18w3d 5/15
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• @SoonToBeMommaHowe - Actually in December when I was supposed to get it done the OB was going to have me use OPKs and once I got that positive OPK it would be 7 days after that in which I would get the blood draw. so yeah what you said makes sense. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @vlagrl29 perfect! GL to you!
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• Benched waiting for AF to come back. It's been 6 weeks since we delivered (at 17 weeks for anyone who didn't see my post in the check-in thread). I may ask the RE tomorrow if I can take meds to kick start AF. I was kind of hoping it would I have started by now. Waiting sucks. I'm so ready to get our next IVF cycle in motion.
  • Hugs @Luckyu317 waiting is so hard! Hope the RE has some insight!

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• @Luckyu317 my first cycle after delivering at 18 weeks came after 6w2d, hopefully AF is right around the corner for you. 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited January 2017
    Today DH opened up a little bit after I asked him when he wants to try again. I'll be 34 in March, so time is of the essence, but I don't want to risk another MC by trying too soon if there is something wrong with me that caused it. OB suggested waiting until next AF and another cycle to thicken lining. DH just said, "Are you going to get upset if you aren't pregnant before April?" He's in his friend's destination wedding and I hadn't thought about it again since I wasn't going due to being pregnant and didn't really need to worry about him. Now if AF doesn't show by March and even then if I don't get KU on the first try (which is very likely) then I will have to wait a long time, maybe up to 6 months. I convinced him to wait the 2 CDC recommended months after our honeymoon (which ended up being more because of where my cycle fell) instead of my OB's recommended 6. I normally have longer cycles (anywhere from 26-37 with 32-33 being my normal and who knows what it is going to be like post-O.) We were already delayed by Zika once due to our honeymoon and I don't think I can handle it again. Him not going isn't an option in his mind as the trip was already paid for and he is very loyal to his friend. I don't really know what to say or do other than panic a little. This whole thing is pretty fresh and reality is setting in more and more.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Nurse called me back tonight to let me know my HCG blood draw was down to a 2 from Tuesdays draw.  She said I don't have to get any more blood draws thank god!  Just have to wait for AF to show up early Feb and call her to get my progesterone test scheduled.

@NYTino24 - you talking about timing reminded me.  If we want to have a baby with our good insurance plan this year I would need to be pregnant by April for a December baby.  Our max OOP is $1100 for a family.  I've been really nervous about insurance in 2018.  We are on ACA and plans are getting more limited and more expensive.  But no pressure right? lol
  • @vlagrl29 congrats on bo more labs. I was at a 9 last week and my ob made me have another one, just got it drawn today, so it should be my last as well.
  • @vlagrl29 congrats on no more blood draws. 

@nytino24 Zika timing sucks. I had to go to Florida to work in November and it took a bit for me to convince my dh if I didn't get bit that it would be okay to try. I also feel the pressure of age. I turned 36 in November. Be sure to give yourself the time you need to be ready. 
  • @NYTino24 we are also in the middle of being benched due to Zika. Just a heads up that the cdc says 6 months benched if the male is traveling and 2 if the female is traveling. However, when was your honeymoon and when does DH leave again? We were able to get some healthy sperm frozen before my DH left so we can do treatment while benched. Maybe that is an option if he decides he is for sure going to that wedding?

I normally am not a worrier about stuff like this, I'm not a germaphope, etc. But my RE said 80% of people infected with the virus show no symptoms and that if the male contracted the virus and you had unprotected sex that even if he didn't get you KU he could pass you the virus and then you can pass it to the baby. I googled babies with Zika when we got back from our appt and decided the desire to have a baby (I'm going to be 33) is extremely strong but not strong enough to risk putting my desires before this future babies needs. 

Note*...I'm not judging anyone who decides to forego their REs advice and try anyway. I was just throwing out what my thoughts are. I do understand how overwhelming the desire to get KU can be as we've been trying for 18 months post loss with no luck. 

Lots of hugs to everyone on the bench. It's a rough place to be <3
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• @soontobemamahowe We went to Jamaica and Grand Cayman for two weeks at the end of July and beginning of August. We did waited until the end of October to try and TTA during FW before that. I did ovulate early in September and didn't get pregnant. I ovulated November 28 and got BFP on 12/8. I know all about Zika, trust me. I don't think it's fair at all to just test pregnant women. By the time I got pregnant, the two week testing window was far gone anyway. I may ask if they will test us both now that I have a miscarriage just to see if we have antibodies, but I doubt it... and I am the type to get bitten often. Luckily our Jamaican resort sprayed a ton and we didn't get bitten there. I got attacked one night in GC, but it wasn't on the watch list then and I didn't have symptoms. Who knows... I don't want him to go, but it's out of my hands.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @NYTino24 it took us like a week to get 2 of DHs "deposits" frozen, maybe you could do that and then IUI instead of waiting. Btw I live in New England so I'm totally jealous of your honeymoon right now!
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• @SoonToBeMommaHowe, thank you for the info. I was going to ask. :)
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited January 2017
    Congrats on no more labwork, ladies ... I also joined that club today. HCG down to 0 as of yesterday, less than a week after my MC. I was shocked, but the highest number I got was 57, so I knew it wouldn't take as long as others because it was so early on. Feeling very thankful that my body did what it needed to do without needing any further medical intervention ... I know that doesn't happen for everyone and makes things so much tougher. Benched for another month, then waiting until June to try again for other reasons. The wait will be tough, but I know I need some more time to heal emotionally.

Regarding Zika, I understand all of your concerns! We originally had a vacation planned to Florida in May, but with local cases now happening in Miami, we're just not willing to risk it ... major bummer because I was really looking forward to going - our trip last year was amazing and I feel like I could use it even more so now! But I just don't want to risk it, and I know financially it would be better for us to save that money this year and do a smaller mini vacation closer to home (with no worries of Zika). My husband also got invited to go to Florida with his family in December, when we started trying, but we made the decision he wouldn't go because we didn't want to have to wait 6 months if he did end up contracting Zika (or I should say I made the decision, haha ... but he didn't really care if he went or not so that helped my case). It's so tough, and Zika is so scary! We are huge on tropical vacations, but know that's just out of the plans for the next few years until we're done having babies. It's too scary to take the chance.

I didn't know they wouldn't test you unless you're pregnant ... is that really true? I thought for sure you could get tested before TTC just to be safe ... if not, that's bogus and infuriating. Isn't the goal to prevent this from happening, not to deal with it after the fact?!
  • Luckyu317Luckyu317 member
    edited January 2017
    Just got back from the RE'a office and it looks like we're going to remain benched for longer than I thought/had hoped. I guess I was under the misconception that we could schedule our FET as soon as AF came back, but said she recommends waiting 6 months from the time of loss. I had some blood work done today, and scheduled another Sounding US, then I just stay on bcp and wait until May... I want to cry (some more).
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited January 2017
    @Luckyu317

So sorry for the disappointing news :( We are benched for a month, but also waiting until June to start trying again for other reasons. Just know you're not alone! Praying for quick and sticky BFPs for the both of us come May/June!
  • @LuckyU317 I'm so sorry for the extended bench time. Did your RE say why? That seems extra long, and I can't think of why 6 months would be needed. If you didn't get a clear answer from your doctor, maybe you could ask some of the ladies on the IF board if this seems normal. 

@NYTino24 I'm so sorry for the Zika worries and potential bench time. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
  • @Luckyu317 I'm sorry for the crappy news. Hugs
  • oh I'm so sorry @Luckyu317 - that seems like such a very long wait
  • So sorry @Luckyu317. I agree with pp that 6 months seems like an awful long time. Hugs to you <3
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• @luckyu317 sorry for your long wait. :( its a long time especially if you want to get TTC asap!

• @Luckyu317 You may have a lot of company, whether that makes you feel better or not. Hopefully that isn't the case and you get in the game sooner rather than later.

• Just got my lab results today. Hcg is back at 0. I thought that would be exciting news, I'm ready to move forward and be back to "normal" but it wasn't exciting, in fact it made me cry. Most of the time I do ok, but sometimes small things, like this, hurt. Oh well, I know it will get easier eventually.

This means af should be here soon and I tell ya, I've been eating anything that isn't nailed down so I'm pretty sure she'll be here sooner rather than later :wink:

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!
  • @Luckyu317  Sorry about the crappy news.  Like others said, maybe get some more info on why.

@pumpkin0913, @vlagrl29 & @jen83mn Congrats on HCGs!  FX AF comes soon.  
  • @pumpkin0913

I got the phone call today that my HCG was back to 0 too ... mine only took a week (I was shocked, but started off with super low numbers and it was an early MC). While I was really happy to hear my levels were back to normal so I didn't need any follow-up or medical interventions, and as confirmation that hopefully my cycles should be back to normal sooner rather than later so my body is ready to go when we are, I will admit I was a bit sad too but tried to focus on the positive. Sad because when my HCG levels were still at a "pregnant" level, I felt like I was still carrying part of that baby with me ... and now the baby is gone, just like that. It seems like a cruel joke to be pregnant one week, MC the next, and the very next be not pregnant again, like it was a bad dream and never even happened.

So I get it! While I'm really happy I'm starting to feel "normal" again and my hormones aren't all over the place anymore, part of me did feel a bit sad today knowing that this was it ...

Thinking about you, and try to look on the positive side ... you're now that much closer to trying again and hopefully getting your rainbow baby :)
  • Thank you for understanding, @jen83mn you said it perfectly. I know a 0 Hcg is a step in the right direction, it just hit harder than I thought it would. I really wanted this baby, I know I always will, but now it's officially over and it kinda broke my heart. I know I'll be ok eventually, and you're right, we're now that much closer to our rainbows!
  • Yeah I was so happy my hcg was down as I knew it was since I was feeling like myself again. Although I had this negative thought tonight.  It took us 6 months to get pregnant with this one. What if it takes us a long time again. What if that was it? What if we missed our opportunity for another baby? Oh man I hate when I have those thoughts. I've been trying to think of things to have goals for in my life so I can put that energy into better use but I still have my weak moments of sheer doubt.
  • @vlagrl29 Think positive, that's what I try to do when I find myself down the rabbit hole.  It is so easy but negativity can be so detrimental.  It's so natural to have doubts.  I think you are going to be ok, I think I'm going to be ok.  

**hugs**  I'm counting on your positive attitude for my bday in a couple of weeks!!!
    ***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18

• @vlagrl29 hug. I hate when I get caught in self doubt. Sometimes I wonder if I waited to long to start trying and if it is this hard to get pregnant what was the point of using birth control for so long. But then I try to tell myself it will be okay and look at the positive which can be hard to do sometimes 
  • Yay for no more lab draws/hcg at zero! Although totally mixed emotions along with that!! Hugs ladies. 

@Luckyu317  I'm sorry for the news. Hopefully your RE has a solid explanation why. 

@NYTino24 Thanks for bringing up Zika! DH is going to a bachelor party in March in Cabo and when he booked it we didn't even think about Zika being there and it's one of his really good friends, so not going wasn't really an option, but after we remembered Zika it hit me really hard like wtf!? I'm still so tossed up but trying not to worry about it until I have to (meaning we have two more FW before he leaves) but yea no guarantees obviously! So I am worried. 6 months is a long time to us ttcal @SoonToBeMommaHowe I never thought of freezing semen and going that route, that's really interesting! 

Fuck all this though! I wish none of us had to have all these thoughts/worries. 

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• @uhlease13 I second that! It sucks but when we finally get our rainbows, it will be all worth it!
  • Benched!  Patiently waiting for my HCG to drop to below 5.  Miscarried on Jan 2nd, HCG was 10,000.  Jan 12th it was 85... Can't wait for my period so we can start trying again.  

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017

• Hi everyone! I'm not new but coming back to the bench. MMC 8/29/2015 - 6wks. 6 months of trying then MMC 6/4/2016 - 6wks. We had some testing which revealed progesterone on the very low end of normal and dropping off too quickly in my regular cycles. Also, blood clotting disorder. Now I am taking a baby aspirin a day. We are benched until a follow up appointment in February, which I am hoping will bring some good news and hope for the next time. My doctor suspects progesterone issues and endometriosis.
  • @fsuswim sorry you're back. It sounds like they've figured a lot out, so hopefully you'll be successful next time. I'm also dealing with clotting issues. What is your diagnosis?

• @fsuswim - sorry to see you back here. I've been ttc since 2015 and have had 2 mmcs as well - it just sucks. 

@NYTino24- I have a blood clotting disorder that is genetic (though no one else in my family seems to have it) called plasminogen activation inhibitor. My RE said I didn't have to do baby aspirin just heparin or possibly lovenox shots daily when I do get pg. I can't run or do any vigorous workouts when I get pg either to further prevent any clotting.
  • @hdaley Hope your wait goes by quickly.

@fsuswim Sorry you are back here.  And February is right around the corner!

AFM
    I am benched until next AF.  I had my ectopic in September.  It's been a long wait and I only have about 3 weeks until we are off the bench.  Unfortunately we had a contraception mishap last night that has me worried.  Hopefully it's nothing and I'll be fine.  Although a BFP wouldn't be the worst thing, I know I would worry because we were told to wait.  This is my fertile window right now so we are abstaining because of my nerves.  
  • @justsuzie I know a bfp wouldn't be terrible, but I understand your worry. Good luck with whatever happens.
  • @NYTino24  What is your blood clotting issue? I  have 1 copy of Factor V Leiden. Which just means I'm at greater risk but still not a huge risk for blood clots. None of my relatives have had them so it's only a concern in high risk situations like surgery. 
  • Guys!! AF just showed up!! Geez, I never thought I'd be so excited for it! Lol