Stupid Questions: January

Ask away!
Married: 08.05.11
Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16

Re: Stupid Questions: January

• Options
    When can you start using lotion on baby? We have a couple of bath products that are. Ore creamy or lotion type that I've avoided cuz I thought you shouldn't use them but I'm not sure when to start 
  • Options
    @kvruns I've already been using baby lotion. Oops. It's a gentle one. I usually put on him right after a bath and occassionally if I notice any dry spots to clear them up. And then once in a while randomly. As far as I know this is okay but I think it depends on what guidelines you're looking at! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also use lotion already.   I use it after baths.   
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I've been using California Baby Calendula lotion since we got home. I especially use it daily because we take baths daily; it helps with his gas and starting a routine.  
  • Options
    I've also been using ceraVe lotion since we got home after baths (every 2-3 days). I wasn't aware we should wait?
  • Options
    I never used lotion with my first and won't with my second either. Baby skin is perfectly balanced and does not need moisturizer typically (obviously there are exceptions). Using lotion when not needed can lead to baby acne. My DD is three now and only puts lotion on her legs and arms occasionally when she sees me do it but it's not regular. In summer we apply sunscreen when spending time outside.
  • Options
    Baby is getting his 2 month needles Wednesday (it's the first needle here). I have no idea what to expect. Any meds, etc. I should have on hand for after? I'm a nervous mama!! 
  • Options
    kristah2 said:
    Baby is getting his 2 month needles Wednesday (it's the first needle here). I have no idea what to expect. Any meds, etc. I should have on hand for after? I'm a nervous mama!! 
    Infant Tylenol. I didn't bring anything with the first and she was ok for about 2 hours and then she was uncomfortable, crying, running a slight temp, etc until the Tylenol. 
  • Options
    @kvruns I've been using lotion occasionally since some time the first few days because she had bad dry cracks on and around her feet when she was born. Doctor recommended we lotion her up more (she specified Aveeno) through the winter.
  • Options
    I have the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat and I know at 11lbs you're supposed to take the newborn insert out. But is that the part under their bum or the part by their head or both? Does anyone know?
  • Options
    I have the Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat and I know at 11lbs you're supposed to take the newborn insert out. But is that the part under their bum or the part by their head or both? Does anyone know?
    I have the same one. The infant insert is the part by their bum and can be used up to 11 lbs. When I read the instructions it sounded like the head insert has no requirements for weight so that one you can take out when you want.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    STM here with the same seat -
    Body insert (under bum) must be removed at 11 lbs, but can be removed earlier if necessary. 
    Head insert can be used until straps are coming from the top slots (can't be coming from the same slots as the straps) - remember straps below shoulders for rearfacing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Help!! Fever question..
    babe has a slight fever (he has his needles today). I gave him Tylenol. It dropped for a bit but back up now. He's not due for another dose for at least an hour but it's also his bedtime and he's tired. 
    Do I let him sleep and tell me when he needs more? Or do I wake him to check his temp and give another dose??
  • Options
    @kristah2 was he is pain or discomfort? Typically you don't need to treat a mild fever and I would only give pain meds if LO was unable to sleep. Since he is sleeping I say wait and see how he is feeling when he wakes. If he seems fine, even if the fever has not gone away, I'd just leave him be.
  • Options
    How high is his fever? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    MollySm said:
    How high is his fever? 
    I second this. Apparently it's not considered a fever until it's over 100.4 at this age. 
  • Options
    My SIL has lent me her Bumbo seat but I have no idea what the point of it is or when to use it? I see little floppy babies in one on FB all the time but don't get why it's used. 
  • Options
    My SIL has lent me her Bumbo seat but I have no idea what the point of it is or when to use it? I see little floppy babies in one on FB all the time but don't get why it's used. 
    I just used mine as something else to let DD1 sit in. We didn't use it much and I thought it was a waste of money (granted we have a TON of stuff that was given to us for DD1 to sit/play in).

I'm not sure what you mean by "floppy babies" but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be used until the babies have some head control. 
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 I also don't see much point in bumbos (autocorrected to bimbos, lol).
    Was lent one with my first. Used under 10 times. Once he had excellent head support he'd sit in it a few times more for a different view. Might strengthen core for solo sitting too.
  • Options
    My little man loves his! He is super smiley when he sits in it and I sit across from him playing with toys or singing. My niece didn't really like it though so I'm sure every baby is different. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Fever was just boarding at around 99.8-100 so nothing too crazy!! 
    Just not sure the protocol on when to wake etc. Since if I wake to take a temperature he gets so upset and has a harder time going back to sleep. Should you let babies sleep through it? Ahh. 

As for bumbos. I've heard some really horrible things about them. There has been A LOT of instances (here in Canada anyway) where babies have issues down the road with their hips because of the positioning of their legs in the chair. 
    I already have enough hip problems and DH has had major knee problems (surgery to reconnect his patella tendons on BOTH knees after they snapped disconnecting his legs basically and he's still rehabbing almost 2 years after). We will be avoiding this chair-don't want to see him uncomfortable like the rest of us!
  • Options
    1. Umm how do you know baby has a fever? I mean ok you take their temp but why are you taking their temp? What triggers you to need to do that? 

2. Bumbos - I ended up buying one on a resale page for $10 but I'm not sure how to use it either other than as a place for him to sit for a bit when he's a bit older? 

3. Formula question. I figure at some point I'll be doing more formula since I don't pump a whole lot. We use some Enfamil Newborn right now for convenience but it is only for 0-3 months. After that I have a bunch of Similac samples of 3 different kinds (regular, gentle and some other sensitive type). I know switching brands could cause discomfort, but what about using regular vs gentle. As in could it cause a problem giving him gentle and then trying out the regular kind? Ideally I'd work my way through the different sample kinds and he'd like them all but I don't want to screw it over giving him gentle and then that's all he will tolerate. Does that make sense? 
  • Options
    @kvruns I can't help with the formula questions. But as for temp I was watching for it since he had his needles yesterday and was expecting it. 
    on average I would be looking for him being uncomfortable or other signs of sickness (he was really fussy and spitting up more then usual last week for 2 days so I periodically took his temp). Plus I tend to kiss him on the forehead a lot so without really thinking about it I keep an eye for it feeling over heated all the time! If he feels warm I'll break out the thermometer. 
  • Options
    So little guy used to poop all day every day. The last couple of weeks he has slowed down to every other day and now he hasn't really pooped since Thursday. He is exclusively breastfed and I know all babies are different, but I guess it has just caught me off guard that he would all of a sudden just stop pooping. He is making wet diapers just fine. He has an appointment Friday for his 2 month. I feel like I know what I would tell my patients but since he is actually mine I feel like I'm worrying for nothing.. is anyone else's babies an infrequent pooper? I will add, he has gas to beat the band.
  • Options
    Any tips for cutting baby's nails? I still haven't done it and it really needs to be done. They're still too soft to bite off. 
  • Options
    @leighry Majorly infrequent pooper here. After the first few days DS became a once a week HUGE pooper and actually went ten days until yesterday when he made three HUGE poops. And by huge, I mean diapers do not contain these beasts. Everything I read about BF babies says it's not uncommon and most countries are not concerned unless a baby exceeds ten days; it's the US where there is an everyday emphasis (take that for whatever it is). And I know you're in the medical profession, so I'm sure you can confirm this a heck of a lot better than I can, but if LO is approaching 2 months, shouldn't the frequency of BM taper off anyway?

@mrsmaryk2016 I'm still filing them down every other day. I tried cutting them and clipped his skin so I've resolved to wait until he's a little bigger. BUT in my experience, wait until he is super asleep, have good lighting and run the bottom of the clipper under his nail entirely before clipping to ensure you are not including any skin. Where I fail, is waiting until he is super asleep; so I contend with twitching. Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh filing! I never thought of that! I'll try that first. Thanks!
  • Options
    @MrsMaryK2016 I do it often now that I'm comfortable with it! I tried filing but it didn't work for me. I clip them now when he's eating or when he's sleeping and it goes quick! Scary the first couple times though! 

@leighry we went from a poop after every feeding to every other, and now every third for the most part. The longest he went was 4 days. The dr said it's totally normal and might even go up to a week! Freaks me out but I guess it's normal! 
  • Options
    I am actually biting babies nails. Or if they are soft enough I can actually just pick them by just pulling. Works really well and usually do it while I'm feeding him so he's happy! 

As for poops we went from at least one or more a day to every few days. He's just finding his new regular! 
  • Options
    @leighry the way it was explained to me was that breast milk is one of the only things that can be 100% utilized by the body. So no poop isn't such a big deal. It just means he is using it all. If it's formula that's a different story however. But if you are breastfeeding I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for weighing in on the pooping! In my medical brain I know I shouldn't worry but the mom part of my brain is like "would you just poop already???" I'm sure he is just using it all. He's a little guy so he must just need it all. Waste not want not.

@SandNStarsNJ I've been thinking of you hoping you guys get to leave with as few interventions as possible!
  • Options
    What do you do with LO all day? I'm talking about on the days you don't go out or run errands. What do you do to play with him or entertain him all day? I'm just not sure talking to him and making funny faces is enough stimulation and honestly I'm not sure how much more of that all day every day I can take. M has a play mat but he gets bored of it since we use it multiple times a day. He's not a huge Bumbo fan. Hates the mamaroo and swing after five minutes. Suggestions?
  • Options
    What do you do with LO all day? I'm talking about on the days you don't go out or run errands. What do you do to play with him or entertain him all day? I'm just not sure talking to him and making funny faces is enough stimulation and honestly I'm not sure how much more of that all day every day I can take. M has a play mat but he gets bored of it since we use it multiple times a day. He's not a huge Bumbo fan. Hates the mamaroo and swing after five minutes. Suggestions?
    We read, take walks, listen to music... sometimes I wear him around while I'm doing my stuff and we chat about what we're hearing on NPR. I don't do baby talk in case that isn't obvious. 
  • Options
    We cuddle, bounce, have play at time, have him chill in rock n play and stare off into space if he will  I have a few music toys I play same. Honestly I don't know what to do with him all day either since I can't go out with him in the cold 
  • Options
    We mostly cuddle and smooch. I'll put her on her playmat or in her swing with the mobile on, but mostly we just talk and smile at each other. Big sister provides so much visual stimulation I don't have the energy to do more, and this season where you are their favorite form of entertainment is so short!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Is anyone else still/when do you stop tracking dirty diapers, feeding/pumping times, sleeping?
    I use an app called Sprout that I love. I like keeping track of those things for some odd reason (and to DH's dismay) (I think it's 'cause it makes me feel organized and in control of something :P) but wondered if anyone else is still doing it.
  • Options
    I do :) Must be something wrong with me.
  • Options
    rspalding001rspalding001 member
    edited January 2017
    With my first I tracked sleeping eating and dirty diapers for a long time, mainly because the day care I sent DD to did it too and it was kinda nice to see the progress. This time around I haven't done it at all, even at the beginning ha ha oh well. 
  • Options
    anne11716anne11716 member
    edited January 2017
    @hoosiermama I still do too. Gives me some sort of organized feeling lol. It's nice if I go out and my husband is with him I can look and see what happened because it's linked on our phones