January 2017 Moms
Options

Those with siblings.. what is your hospitals policy....

hello. My name is Andrea. I've been lurking off & on and I am due January 29. I have a question for those with siblings. Do you know your maternity wards policy on visiting? I'm curious since I just found out my near 4 year old will not be able to visit during cold & flu season despite her being up to date on all vaccines. I understand to a point but I'm not going to lie I'm utterly heartbroken. I will be a scheduled section on top of it. 

Re: Those with siblings.. what is your hospitals policy....

• Options
    I'm due January 31st, have a three year old, and my hospital has the exact same policy.  Currently there isn't any restriction because flu season hasn't hit here yet.  However I'm sure when it comes for me to deliver it will be. I'm super bummed too but it's hospital policy. They are only looking out for the well being of your newborn and with other newborns. 
  • Options
    Ours doesn't allow children under 13 to visit at all unless they are related to the laboring couple, and they must be accompanied by an adult. 

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't even checked to be honest and just assumed it would be fine to bring my 3 yr old to meet her new baby brother or sister. We took a sibling tour/class a few months ago at the hospital to prep her for what to expect. I would think if there was a timeframe that they didn't allow children that they would have told us then. Makes me want to check though!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I never even thought to check on this until I saw this post. I just looked and my hospital's policy just says that children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times, and are encouraged not to visit before noon or after 8:00 p.m. I'm really glad, I would be crushed too if my son wasn't allowed to come and visit his new siblings. Do they definitely not make exceptions for siblings at your hospital?

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    I wasn't told about this policy I happened to be visiting maternal fetal medicine and saw the "poster" announcing it. Which is also aggravating. The nurse its mostly due to the risk of RSV.... which I don't believe is an active issue right now. And I just saw a friends post who had a baby yesterday (same hospital system but different location) and sure enough there was her two year old meeting his baby brother. I'm assuming not all hospitals within this system are enforcing the policy which makes me upset as my family will be affected. I think I may call about this. 
  • Options
    My hospital policy is that any and all are allowed to visit as long as the parents are up to it and allow it. They do have set visiting hours as well but really want to make sure that family comes first.
    I would maybe call and verify their policy? I would also be heartbroken. :(
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • Options
    I called and remain heartbroken as I spoke with the infection control director and she said they want to make their message clear. I just have issues with them allowing a say 5 year old who may have the flu but not my 3.5 year old who is currently not running a fever, no sore throat, cough or runny nose and has been current in all vaccines including flu. I know RSV is different. I will continue to climb their ladder and keep voicing all of my feelings & concerns. 
  • Options
    When my niece was born 2 years ago in January, her 2 older brothers were supposed to be allowed in. but my nephew was 4 and terrified his mom wasn't okay and the baby wasnt, so she talked to her doctor and they made an exception, they were allowed up for an hour with masks on. flu season was bad and his mom had just had a csection so ty to extra precaution. my poor nephew was so upset at first, he was hysterical thinking my SIL wasn't coming home. our son will only be 18 months old when she comes, and probably staying with my parents so idk if we'll have him come up.

• Options
    My daughter can come- she's 2. The only rule is that siblings need another adult there. I guess some people have the mom attempt to watch the big kid while she's recovering. 
  • Options
    My hospital allows siblings unless there's a bad flu outbreak.  I was told they haven't had to restrict sibling visitors in quite a few years and aren't currently restricting them.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Children under 12 are allowed as long as they are siblings.  So far, for each of my births the kids have been allowed to visit and hopefully that will be the case again this time.  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Options
    Siblings are allowed anytime 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My hospital lets siblings in, I'm not sure if there's a set visit in time though. Im gonna ask for sure on Tue when I'm there for my ob appt.
  • Options
    Ours lets siblings in as long as they are symptom free and not running a fever (same as all visitors) but DD is cutting a bunch of teeth and might have a fever so we'll see how it goes. If they have to meet at home they meet at home.
  • Options
    I just found out our hospital has no rules as far as visitors go. They leave it up to you to decide who you want to come and when. That will be awesome so my sister can come to see us with her little baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up writing a letter to the CEO. Hope & prayer now! Thank you for the input! 
  • Options
    My hospital only recommend not to bring any kids to any hospital because it's pretty much the worst place you can bring a kid. Just like u don't wanna bring your kid to the drs office or an ER unless it's absolutely necessary.