July 2016 Moms

Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

13»

Re: Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

• Has anyone had babies lose interest in solids already?! He was all for it when we started and loved everything we tried, which was really only two or three things. But this week he has taken one bite and made a face and refused to eat any more. I don't get it!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • M does that. We just keep giving her stuff. Same with when "she doesn't like something" we keep giving it to her anyway. I love the saying, food before 1 is just for fun. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @LDSJM123 I go by the same rule of thumb as far as the for fun part, but I just didn't know what to think of the sudden change! Glad to know he's not the only one!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • So DS choked on some carrot last night and it was scary. DH initially freaked out, but otherwise handled it well and he didn't put a halt to BLW like I thought he would.  :)
  • kellz14kellz14 member
    edited February 2017
    @FTM Like choke, choke? Or gag and cough and turn red but eventually spit it out?  This BLW stuff is awesome but so scary at times!

I gave LO eggs this morning... Cut an omelet into strips... He proceeded to shove the whole strip in his mouth, and gag and cough and turn red way worse then he ever has. I got ready to take him out of the chair and give him back blows but then he spit it out. So freaking scary.  I keep telling myself though better to learn now how to manage his food - he's learning!!  But for now - sticking with scrambled eggs and not omelet strips!
  • ahh just reading that stuff gives me anxiety!  I couldn't do it...I'm already nervous about giving her stuff at 9 months when the pedi said to start giving her noodles and stuff from my plate...
  • @winnie1122 yep. E has like no interest in trying anything anymore. We still do solids once a day around dinnertime, but she only ever eats maybe a tablespoon now instead of 2.
  • My baby doesn't like anything. Sweet potatoes? Nope. Oatmeal? Nope. Peas? Nope. Carrots? Hell no. Banana? Nope. Avocado? Nope, nope, nope. It's frustrating.  
  • Awww poor mom.....my baby is kinda picky but he likes pears so I mix pears with sweet potatoes and squash to trick him into eating that.
  • I made chicken breast purée today and gave it to the twins mixed with sweet potatoes. B wasn't sold, but ate most of it. R made horrible faces and then threw up everywhere. She got her point across. So far they have been excellent eaters so having that kind of reaction to food was weird. Was it the texture? Has anyone else started meats yet?
  • @shanparadise Baby J had this reaction to hummus. My hubby thought it was texture too. I think it's just a taste thing and will proba ly try it again a month when her tastes buds develop more. 
  • @shanparadise AJ does this puréed broccoli, but is fine mushing while pieces like BLW. Chicken I give him shredded/chopped. 
  • Who all has done eggs? We tried twice today but she kept spitting them out and then threw them all on the floor..
  • kellz14kellz14 member
    edited February 2017
    @schaze  We started eggs last week! I think of all the foods we've given him, it's probably his least favorite so far. I gave him pieces of scrambled egg. He puts it in his mouth and he swallows a little but then he lets the rest of it fall out of his mouth. After that first piece, he doesn't seem very interested, and moves on to eating whatever else I put on his tray other than eggs!  I think I'm going to keep trying them, though. I'm wondering if it's texture thing? Very different than the fruits and veggies we've been giving him.
  • We gave Elijah eggs and he puked about an hour later and got super sneezy.  I was afraid it was an allergy so I won't be trying them again anytime soon!
  • FTM53FTM53 member
    edited February 2017
    AJ likes eggs...but I usually scramble mine with heavy cream and/or cheese and he LOVES cheese. He will eat them just scrambled though. 
  • She finally ate some on the 3rd try, but spat a whole bunch out. At least we seem to have ruled out an allergy! 
  • M loves eggs too! She especially enjoys over medium ish (still a tiny bit of yolk left) and hard boiled. 

As for meat, I've not ever given her it puréed. But she's had a few different types.
  • @shaylalr Ha!! I did that with salsa when I was little (reportedly). Mom said I'd just spoon it in with tears running down my face. I've always liked spicy food though!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15

• I made a sweet potato and egg bowl for dinner tonight. It was delicious and very easy to give DD2 parts of it! Here she is eating eggs, purple potatos, sweet potatoes, tomatos and sliced up oranges. 
    https://thewanderlustkitchen.com/sweet-potato-power-bowl/
  • Can we talk about portion sizes? I honestly am not sure what to do. My child eats SO much. She eats more than her 3 year old niece for meals. 

Here is an example. She ate all of this and then signed for more. 

Do I just keep feeding her?? Do I cut her off? I have been finding food not broken down in her diaper. She feeds herself, I don't force her. But I worry she would just eat until she throws up! I've been told babies can self regulate and know when they are full, but she also eats reeeaaally fast. Any thoughts? 
  • @shaylalr- DD2 eats about that much too. I feed her about 1/3 of that so she can't eat too quickly, then I feed her again and again, so total she's eating that much per sitting. She eats 2-3 times per day. I worry about feeding her more. The BLW book says they self-regulate, but I want her to get most her calories from BM. I don't know what to do...
  • shaylalrshaylalr member
    edited March 2017
    @holly142 I do the same thing! Do it in stages. I feel exactly the same as you. I am definitely going to ask the pediatrician next month.