July 2016 Moms
Options

Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

Here's the place for all the questions, tips, tricks, recipes, and fun pictures of this feeding journey! 

Re: Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

• Options
    Alright first question. They say baby is ready for solids when they can sit up on their own, as one of the pre-reqs. I've read though that for most babies, they can sit up for a few minutes independently at like 5/6 months.. but don't really master it til 7 or 8. If that's the case, how can they sit up eat on their own at 6 months if they haven't fully mastered it yet?? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're planning to start with some purées for I figure at least a month. Things like avocado, squash, sweet potato and banana. Then move on to actual (super soft) foods in their actual form. I'm curious about portion sizes and frequency. Anyone have thoughts on that? I have some 2oz and 4oz freezer containers. I wasn't sure if even the 2oz would be too much for a single sitting. And do we do this in lieu of a bottle or with the bottle? Definitely need to start doing my homework cause clearly I'm clueless about a lot of it, lol. 
  • Options
    I've started with some sweet potatoes/breastmilk that I pureed and put in ice trays.  We are on day 5 and Elijah is just taking half an ice cube. I just made squash today to try later this week. We will do soft foods once he gets the purées down.
  • Options
    I just got the blw book from the lib.  Has anybody read through it?  If so, any reviews?
  • Options
    As mentioned above, I don't think they have to have mastered sitting independently, but need to be able too in a high chair. 

I'll continue to nurse like normal and when a meal time comes, I'll stick her in the high chair and let her eat/play with whatever we're having. No portion sizes per say, but she won't be getting table food when she's hungry. I'm really sticking to the idea of food before 1 is just for fun. 

Im about halfway through the book. As a foodie, it really has been resignating with me and the ideas behind it are great. I know with my first daughter (10 years ago) I did a variation of BLW without even realizing. I was just winging it and trusting my gut. It's nice to have a guide this time. 
  • Options
    I got the BLW cookbook which I think is really helpful too!  It has all of the basic information from the actual book, and it has tons of cool recipes to try.  and the servings are listed as "1 adult and 1 baby serving" which i thought was cute.  

We are gradually introducing food, and I would like to focus mainly on BLW.  I like how it allows the baby to control when they eat solids and how frequently they want to.  Currently we have tried baby carrots, apple pieces, and a part of a banana.  We left the banana in the skin and cut a strip off the top and she went to town!  She probably just liked mashing it with her gums, but it was cool to see.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Got the go ahead from the pediatrician to start introducing some stuff, but LO has had a bit of a cold and had a fever after shots on Wednesday so we haven't tried anything yet. I was going to start with peas, and we're planning to make our own, but what is the best way to puree stuff in small batches? I don't really want to start stashing large amounts of anything since we're basically just tasting and practicing right now, but even my littlest food processor seems too big to make a small batch of peas! I know they have those baby bullet blenders, but I would rather not buy more appliances if I can help it.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I have this and it's nice for small quantities. For bigger amounts I use my Blendtec. 
  • Options
    @winnie1122 Baby Breza makes a steamer/puree machine that's really nice. Pricey but if you can find one on sale it's worth it. 
  • Options
    If you're going the purée route, steaming, boiling, or roasting the fruit/veggies is easy. Then toss it in a food processor/blender with some milk to the consistency of you're liking. I personally am not big on extra kitchen gadgets so I like to use what I've got. But I've heard good things about baby bullet and the Breza. Food mills are great too. You can just purée whatever you're eating with it. 

@winnie1122
  • Options
    I plan to do a combination of BLW and purees. I did some apple purees and froze them the other day, but we may try avocado, bananas, sweet potato.. We have a food grinder I got at one of my showers so I may try that out as well!
  • Options
    @shaylalr - ask your pedi about probiotics...a lot of times after a diarrheal illness the gut flora is all effed and some studies have shown quicker resolution with probiotics.

@winnie1122 - I have an immersion blender similar to @holly142 by Breville. I love it for soups and stuff and I think it would probably work really well for small batches of purée.
  • Options
    @mnkenned Thanks! We had been doing that. Thankfully, after 3 weeks, the diarrhea has stopped. 
  • Options
    So we have tried a few more foods and it has gone really well BUT it is extreamly terrifying to see Q gag on foods!! I freak out and I am usually a pretty chill person. It's really awesome to see him work out how big of bites to take, figure out how to swallow, which seems so natural to me, and see which foods he likes best. But that split second where he is gagging and looks like he is choking I die a little on the inside. And then he swallows, breaths and keeps eating. Baby led weaning is NOT for the faint of heart! 

On another note, we have tried so many different things and he seems to be loving all of it! He pretty much likes everything so far, but he loves zucchini and eggs ( I do them like an omelette really well done then slice it into finger sized pieces)! He will freak if I take away his zucchini or egg lol it's pretty cute. I am also doing a little bit of rice cereal on the peds orders (for the iron). I hold the spoon out in front of his face and let him guide it in his mouth and he seems to like that too! 
  • Options
    We are doing a variation of BLW with some purees involved too, mainly because he's 21 weeks and I'm a nervous nelly. But I'm taking his cues and starting foods. He's been reaching for my food for a few weeks but I wanted to wait til the 21 week mark. So far we've just done oatmeal, which we grind ourselves because it's much cheaper that way and the oatmeal baby cereals had a lot more in the ingredients than oatmeal. 
    DS loves it. He takes the spoon, while I'm holding it, and puts it in his mouth himself. We are going to add in some veggies and fruits soon too.
    How have you all introduced fruits and veggies? Do you mush them at all or just steam them? From what I've read, BLW doesn't do purees but I know it varies from baby to baby.
  • Options
    LDSJM123LDSJM123 member
    edited December 2016
    M isn't 6 months yet, and our high chair is still being built (ordered it from an Amish woodworker.) but she has displayed some readiness signs. We too ground up our own steel cut oats. I did half water half apple cider and added cinnamon. It was delicious! And she gobbled it right up. I was really shocked by the extra ingredients in baby oatmeal. I'm excited for our high chair to get here so we can really dive into BLW. For now steel cuts at breakfast a few days a week will suffice. 

@DachshundMomma
  • Options
    I'm doing a mixture of BLW and purées. We just started a week ago. DD2 will be 6 months tomorrow. I mushed up avocado with breast milk and gave her little chunks. Next time I'll give her little slices. Last night I steamed carrots and blended them with breast milk. She liked that one! We are only introducing 1 thing every 5 days like my pedi recommended. 
  • Options
    We are doing a mix too. So far it's only been purees/mashes, but out high chair gets here today, so I'll be starting to give him more finger foods. We've done banana, banana mixed w/BM, carrots, avocado, broccoli mixed w/BM, sweet potato mixed w/BM, and small bites of scrambled egg. He's not been the biggest fan of broccoli, but everything else has been mostly a hit. Oh! And we did a few bites of Greek yogurt! He absolutely LOVED that. I have had 6mo appointment next week and going to confirm the yogurt is a-okay. 

Waiting on my my food processor to do steel cut oats and some of the heartier fruit/veggies like apples. 
  • Options
    Not sure if you have a vitamix or other high power blender, but I prefer that for grinding the steel cut oats. It took way longer in my food processor. It's also getting old... so that could be it too. @FTM53
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 I'll try it in my blender. I used the blender for the broccoli and it worked well enough.  :)
  • Options
    So DH isn't sold on the BLW method, so I guess we're gonna start with puréed stuff more and go from there. He got me a baby bullet for Christmas so at least I'll be able to make my own baby food a bit easier, and I do still want to implement the BLW stuff as much as DH is comfortable with. LO is DEFINITELY ready for starting the process though, so I have given him the in between type foods to play with in his high chair like avocado and mashed potatoes while I do work in the kitchen. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    I love how our babies just seem to know and figure out what they're supposed to do. It's such a fun process to watch.
  • Options
    @DachshundMomma I completely agree. DS is learning how to chew and is so excited about it so now anything he's excited he does the chewing motion with his mouth. It's so adorable. 
  • Options
    E is NOT interested anymore. She will pick up food and put it in her mouth, but the minute she tastes it she grimaces, spits it out, and throws it on the floor. I guess we will just keep trying! She won't even swallow purees. 
  • Options
    @shaylalr Baby J did this a couple weeks ago and the doctor upped her prevacid from once a day to twice and voilà she's eating everything again. 
  • Options
    So DH is not on board with BLW. We got our high chair and I wanted to just cut up some banana for DS to pick up and DH kinda got "really concerned"  :D We will discuss it with our pediatrician next Friday. 
  • Options
    @babycakesday That's interesting! We have had no problems with that at all. She wants to grab things from me, but has never been interested in eating any of it at all. She just doesn't seem to like how anything tastes. 
  • Options
    @shaylalr does she do it to foods she used to like? Have you tried eating it first and letting her take it from you?  
  • Options
    She won't eat anything at all since we started. So she doesn't like anything. Not even bananas. She will gum raw cucumbers but hasn't swallowed anything she has been given. And yep!! I've tried that. Just lots of grimaces and then she refuses to even try it again. 
  • Options
    @shaylalr Have you tried mixing stuff with breast milk? I don't have any idea if that would work, but I know a lot of people made that suggestion during our discussions about troubles switching to formula, so maybe it would work here too? Like oatmeal mixed with breastmilk to get her started? Good luck! I'm sure she'll like something eventually! 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    Yeah! I remembered that I tried mixing pears with formula but she wouldn't eat that either. Just going to keep offering food to her and see what happens!!