July 2017 Moms

Second Hand Weed Smoke

Let me preface this post by saying that I live in Colorado, where marijuana is legal, both medical and recreation. My husband has a medical liscence and smokes a bit every day, not a lot, but he is a regular smoker. I have already talked to my doctor about second hand smoke, and she said that, basically, it hasn't been legal enough long enough in enough places to do any real research. Also, there are ethical concerns about doing that kind of prenatal research. She said that anecdotally, there doesn't seem to be a problem, but if we notice any abnormalities, that would be one of the first things in my environment to change.

I guess the purpose of this post is to hear what you ladies think. From a purely emotional place, would you ask your husband to quit, even though it is a medical prescription, or at the very least go outside when he does smoke? Given the lack of medical evidence, what does your mommy sense say?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Second Hand Weed Smoke

• I live in Colorado as well. My husband smokes occasionally and I make him do it outside. With not enough research, I would take a chance. That being said, I know some places just passed that it is legal to smoke in public areas so I have a feeling we will be exposed to it regardless. 
  • I personally wouldn't allow any smoking in my house, pregnant or not.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would ask him to maybe go outside. Since it's medicinal I might not ask him to completely quit seeing as there is a reason the doctor prescribed it to him. But no smoking around you and baby to be on the safe side! My husband smokes cigarettes and there are OBVIOUS reasons I don't want/need to be around his second hand smoke. He is working on quitting but has been 100% respectful and understanding about not smoking around me anymore. 
    Me:25 DH:28
    Married: October 2014
    TTC#1:May 2016
    BFP: 11/16/16   EDD: 7/30/17
    4 fur babies

• ^wss unless you're hotboxing, I wouldn't worry. It's not the tobacco in cigarette smoke, it's all the other crap. Which isn't in pot smoke. But like, maybe sit across the room from him. 
  • I think considering how careful we are with everything else, I wouldn't chance it. I mean, I read something the other day that said to make sure not to breathe in wood smoke (like from a campfire). I'd say if you can avoid it (which you can), I would.
  • Just ask him to go outside. No big deal.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Has he ever considered edibles or a vaporizer?  My dad has his medical and just doesn't like to smoke. Otherwise I'd ask to go outside... It's cold this time of year which is why you may suggest those.
  • Outside. No question. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • think about it this way - will you let him smoke it around the baby once it's born? No. Then he shouldn't be smoking it around you while you're pregnant. He can go outside (or in garage, shed, etc.)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I don't understand how you could stomach the smell of it, to be honest. I'm gagging just thinking about it.
  • It is not legal where I live and my DH is a recreational smoker.  Although we have quit smoking (cigarettes - I quit smoking weed many years ago because it gave my anxiety), we have never smoked anything in any of our apartments or homes and this house is no exception (okay maybe we did when we were like 17 but we're obviously not anymore LOL!)  He does all his smoking in the garage.  We live in Canada where it can get freaking cold in the winter and we still, always smoked outside.  It's a non-negotiable for us.  No smoking inside the house. Ever.  I actually think it's quite disgusting. 

I wouldn't ask him to all out quit, that's kind of unreasonable.  Just tell him to go outside.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • edited November 2016
    We live in California so not a big deal here and while I'm not a pot smoker, im definitely for state and federal legalization of marijuana. I would still ask that SO smoke outside just because the smoke bothers me. i also ask DH to be sober while in charge of DD - and that definitely means marijuana! 

ETA not that sobriety is a problem for DH, it's my argument for why he or anyone else taking care of DD (ahem, FIL) shouldn't be smoking or eating marijuana. 
  • I don't understand, smoke is smoke. Make him take it outside.
  • I would treat it like any other kind of smoke, and restrict it to outside. 
  • Yep outside/garage.
  • I would definitely avoid smoke of any kind while pregnant.
  • Definitely avoid any kind of smoke if possible especially in the first trimester where all of the major components are coming together and the fetus is more susceptible to external influences like smoke inhalation.  He should definitely take it outside and maybe change clothes depending how badly it sticks or consider edibles like someone said. I do remember those brownies being tasty
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • He should just take it outside. Better safe than sorry.
  • I personally don't understand smoking anything in the house.  We are both former smokers and H is a recreational pot smoker but we have never smoked in our house.  Not a big deal to step outside, sucks in the cold but way better than the house smelling (and yes pot smoke lingers too even though people swear it doesn't).
  • Thanks for all the input, ladies! I think I am leaning toward the 'it's okay if it's across the room or upstairs, but maybe not right next to me or in the car' approach. @Cynth0104 It is not legal in public where I live, but it is a resort town, so there are lots of tourists and bros all over. It is definitely being consume in public. You are right, I think I would be exposed to it either way.
  • Outside only. My guy was supposed to have quit smoking yet is still having one here and there outside only and I still want to vomit even more than just the morning sickness that lasts all day long every time i smell it on him. I can't imagine him smoking inside. I'd literally die
  • Rae. said:
    @sehp8b lol why ask for advice if you are just going to ignore the almost unanimous (aside from one person) consensus?
    Maybe she asked the question, thought about it more, and came to her own conclusion. 

FWIW, I agree with you. But I also think there IS a difference between marijuana and cigarette smoke. And asking for people's thoughts doesn't obligate someone to the majority decision. 
  • I bet she'll never come back.
  • @ashaw512 & @dancegurl1118 THANK YOU. I was starting to feel like I was the only one that was angry about this 
  • I think its ridiculous to ask when you already know what your going to do. We all say no, so what was the point.
  • @Rae. You mean I should cancel my skydiving trip I have scheduled for June?? But why?!  :p
  • I respect your opinions. That is all I asked for, however: opinion. I have talked to my doctor. I have done the research. I have examined myself and my feelings. I am sorry if you do not agree with my decision. I am not asking you to make the same or even a similar decision. And I do not appreciate the names or the condescension. I am here for support, advise, and encouragement, not to be torn down and belittled for a personal decision. Quite frankly, I am a little put off and quite a bit disappointed. If I have questions or concerns in the future, it is increasingly unlikely that I will turn to this board for advise again.
  • I don't allow smoking of any kind in my place. If you want to smoke, go outside. I don't care if it's raining, snowing, etc.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• We didn't call you names. We didn't belittle you. We didn't say you were going to be an unfit mother. 

What we did was voice our opinions to the question you asked about being in the vicinity of second hand marijuana smoke, in which our concern was raised for the development of a baby being exposed to that. 

Now I'm all riled up on a Wednesday afternoon. 

Can we get the mods to close this mess?
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @dancegurl1118 - You and me both girl (riled up).

I don't think it needs closed though. It will die. Nobody violated the guidelines. I hate the 'board police' mentality. ha. 
  • Did we get our first "good bye cruel bump"?? @dancegurl1118 @Rae. Definitely agree with you both!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017