May 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Holidays!

We just got our house decorated for Christmas and it put me in a cheery mood, so I thought we could share our holiday favorites.

Favorite Movie:

Favorite Song:

Favorite Tradition:

Re: GTKY: Holidays!

• Options
    Favorite movie: Christmas Vacation. It cracks me up every time I watch it. I also love all the classics on TV every year (Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town) and they've been really fun to share with DS.

Favorite Song: Let it Snow.

Favorite Tradition: One of my favorite things is making new traditions with DS. Last year, we made Christmas cookies together which was a mess (I found sprinkles for months) but he had so much fun and I can't wait to do it again.
  • Options
    I love this thread @MoshiMoshi7

Favorite Movie:
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas - the original cartoon version.  Bad Santa is also amazing for different reasons.

Favorite Song: 
    Probably White Christmas. 

Favorite Tradition:
    I love decorating the tree.  Growing up it was my favorite thing to do with my family, and I'm so excited to get DS excited about it this year.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: Probably Elf or Home Alone

Favorite Song: I don't really have a favorite. Any of the classics that are more upbeat

Favorite Tradition: The pickle in the tree.
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: 
    Christmas Vacation, How The Grinch Stole Christmas and A Christmas Story.

Favorite Song:
    Christmas Cannon by Trans-Siberian orchestra 

Favorite Tradition:
    decorating our Christmas tree right after our Thanksgiving dinner. DH and I plan to add special traditions this year since DD is getting older and can understand more. We're baking cookies for santa this year! 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Options
    Favorite Movie: Love Actually, The Holiday, and Home Alone 2

Favorite Song: Christmas (Baby please come home) preferably the Death Cab version. I also love Rocking Around the Christmas Tree and the Home Alone theme

Favorite Tradition: So many! Opening Christmas PJ's from the grandparents (now they're just from my parents) on Christmas Eve. I love our Christmas mornings too. We get up, open stockings, have breakfast (Casserole and St. Lucia Buns!) and then do gifts.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Favorite Movie:
    As a child I loved Home Alone, but as an adult I really enjoy the classics- frosty, rudolph, etc. Guess that's a little backward :)

Favorite Song:
    Religious- Mary Did you Know
    Secular- Here Comes Santa Claus (It's DDs fave to sing along to)

Favorite Tradition:
    Wrapping gifts with my mom and baking cookies for our neighbors
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: The Holiday, Love Actually, and The Muppet's Christmas Carol (gotta love a musical)

Favorite Song: Oh Holy Night (a recent version)

Favorite Tradition: Now that I live on my own and have a house to decorate, I love doing that.  I love listening to music and the lights.  
    My mother recently started doing the pickle in the tree like @absbubbs said and usually the winner gets a bottle of wine. Love that one too.
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: Christmas Everyday, Nester the Long Eared Donkey 

Favorite Song: The Little Drummer Boy 

Favorite Tradition: My immediate family is huge (I'm one of 7) we throw a big Christmas Eve party every year. It's great. 
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: A Christmas Story and White Christmas.

Favorite Song: Happy Holidays by Andy Williams, O Holy Night, and If We Make it Through December by Merle Haggard (it reminds me of my Papa)

Favorite Tradition: On Christmas Eve night we always open our Christmas jammies, load the whole family up in the car with blankets and hot chocolate and listen to Andy Williams while we look at Christmas lights around town. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Movie(s): Christmas Vacation, The Holiday, Love Actually, & Home Alone

Song: Santa Clause is Coming to Town & Father Christmas by the Kinks

Tradition: My mom always hung candy canes on the tree from santa too, @WombThereItIs We also get christmas PJs from my parents on Christmas Eve.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: I love the classics and a few I would always watch as a kid (Rudolph, Frosty, and such) This did make me  remember Emmit the Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and A Muppet Family Christmas (every get snowed in at Fozzy Bear's Mom's house and they get a visit from the Fraggles!!) I found them cheap on amazon- can't wait to share these with the girls! 

Favorite Song: Mary Did you Know/ I'll be Home for Christmas 

Favorite Tradition: To many to count- I look forward to driving my girls around looking at Christmas lights, attending a Bethlehem Walk at my church (this is an awesome event that my church holds-  if you are down with Jesus I suggest checking out of if any local churches are hosting one- very cool), decorating Christmas cookies, and package from Santa on the 24th with Christmas jammies!  Christmas morning we always make my Grandmother's Blueberry muffins! 
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: Miracle on 34th Street, Love Actually, A Charlie Brown Christmas

Favorite Song: The entire Mariah Carey Christmas CD- it can't be beat.

Favorite Tradition: Making Christmas cookies! They never turn out nearly as pretty as @CherylE418 's, but my mom, sister, and I always make and decorate cookies...and usually eat them within an hour. I can't wait to start this tradition with DS!

Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    Favorite Movie: The Christmas Shoes (I've been banished to watch it by myself because I cry so much), Elf, and Love Actually 

Favorite Song: The Christmas Shoes (see above), Mary Did You Know, and anything my the Pentatonix

Favorite Tradition: watching Elf while we put up the tree, opening our Christmas box on Christmas Eve with New pajamas and a new book. This year I want to start baking cookies with DD. 
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 and @CherylE418 are either of you worried about how you're possibly going to make Christmas cookies without eating the dough? Or am I the only one with no self control when it comes to cookie dough?
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 and @CherylE418 are either of you worried about how you're possibly going to make Christmas cookies without eating the dough? Or am I the only one with no self control when it comes to cookie dough?
    Haha I've already had to "restrain" myself. 
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited November 2016
    Favorite Movie: The Family Man, Home Alone, and Eloise at Christmastime

Favorite Song: So many! But if I had to narrow it down, I would say Joy to the World and Carol of the Bells. 

Favorite Tradition: Going to see the lights! We'll either go to the zoo or botanical gardens when we are at home or when we are at my IL's we go to the LDS church's temple square christmas lights. I absolutely love it! I also love the holiday parties! ;) 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Favorite Movie: A Christmas Story 

Favorite Song: So many! I love that my 5 year old has started singing all of them now. Christmas is truly so much more magical when you have kids of your own and you get to see it through them! 

Favorite Tradition: Watchimh A Christmas Story with my dad, Christmas cookies with my mom. And our entire extended family (even second cousins, great uncles, etc) gets together on Christmas night for tamales, pasole, and way too much food in general! Every year my grandparents host but my grandfather passed so this year my dad has taken over in honor of his dad. It will be an emotional night I'm sure but it makes it so special that we all get together every year. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    So late to this party...work keeps getting in the way of my weekday Bump action...the nerve...

Favorite Movie: Love Actually. Makes me a little misty every time but probably more so this year since pretty much everything seems to make me cry right now.

Favorite Song: I love pretty much all Christmas songs but I'm particularly enjoying Jingle Bells this year solely because my 2 year old loves to sing it and it's adorable.

Favorite Tradition: We do so many fun things around Christmastime and I love them all, but the only true tradition that we seem to carry year after year with 100% compliance is opening pajamas on Christmas Eve and watching a movie together. I love shopping with my mom to find the perfect set for each person. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

Favorite Movie: Christmas Vacation with my husband and The Grinch with my son. It's not Christmas until we watch these movies! 

Favorite Song: Jingle Bell Rock. I heard the Fiona Apple version of Frosty the Snowman again yesterday and I love that song, she is one of my all time favorite singers.

Favorite Tradition: Every year I throw a Christmas party for my girl friends and it's one of my favorite things. Now that we have a child though we ate creating more family traditions. We like to drive around our neighborhood and look at lights with hot cocoa. I do an advent calendar with  my son that's so fun. And we do a new book under the tree every night. I love this time of year. 
  • Options
    onebadmothaonebadmotha member
    edited November 2016
    Um. It's not Friday so I probably shouldn't say this yet...but I've made cookies a couple times since being pregnant and have had a couple pinches of dough each time. Just figured I've eaten cookie dough my whole life and never gotten sick so...... Still salmonella free over here! (Don't flame me too much please!)
    I have definitely had to restrain myself on many occasions. Besides the lack of wine, it's one of the hardest parts of pregnancy for me...haha. Someone mentioned (I'm not sure if it was in this BMB or one of the many others I creep on) finding ready to eat cookie dough at the store. So that's amazing and will be investigated. 

ETA: After some google investigating, I found this: https://www.thecookiedoughcafe.com/stores/ 
    There are SO MANY stores nearby that sell this amazing looking substance.  
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    Love this!! 

Favorite Movie: Too many to choose from!! Christmas Vacation though is my favorite! We, also, have all of the Charlie Brown Holiday movies and the Classic Christmas ones (Rudolph (fav), Frosty, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, etc.)

Favorite Song: Again, too many! haha Baby it's Cold Outside, Carol of the Bells, All I want for Christmas is You (Mariah Carey of course! Who doesn't love that one?!), and the N*Sync Christmas album!! 

Favorite Tradition: Making Christmas cookies and bark, we always open up one present on Christmas Eve (PJs) and my dad still reads 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. This year we are opening a present on Christmas Eve as a gender reveal :smiley: can't wait for that!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    Love this thread!  <3

Favorite Movie: It's a Wonderful Life and Elf. 

Favorite Song: Oh Holy Night and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (the Judy Garland version.) 

Favorite Tradition: So I was an only child and my parents and grandparents spoiled me beautifully on Christmas. My husband is the youngest of three and his birthday is on Christmas, so he didn't quite get the same spoiling that I got (don't get me wrong, his parents always made him feel special, but it's just not the same.) So it's become my life mission to spoil my Christmas baby husband as much as I can on his birthday. I usually make him a big special breakfast, have him open presents, we usually go see a movie, and whatever other fun plans I come up with that he will enjoy. We do pick out a new ornament together each year. And since we've been married we always snuggle up
    and drink hot chocolate together during the first snow. I'm super looking forward to creating new family traditions with our little one. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: It's a tie between Love Actually and The Holiday

Favorite Song: Jingle Bell Rock - I had to sing this with my grade school choir and it's been my favorite ever since.

Favorite Tradition: On Christmas Eve my family and I would drive around and admire all the houses with Christmas decorations. Afterwards we'd come home and my younger sister and I would bake Christmas cookies (sugar and chocolate chip). She would always eat way too many and go to bed early, leaving me to bake all the cookies by myself. We'd spend Christmas day snacking on cookies while my mom made dinner. It was like a second Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    Favorite Movie: The Grinch (cartoon), Rudolph, and White Christmas. So many happy memories watching them. 

Favorite Song: Way too hard. I love so many. Basically any of the classics or nsyc. Least favorite song I could do far easier. 

Favorite Tradition: Christmas Tree Gettin' with my entire family. We meet at my grandparents home which has a wonderfully over-the-river-and-through-the-woods feel (log house with a two story stone fireplace on a small lake surrounded by woods) and then go to the tree farm to cut down trees. Then congregate at grandma's again for soup and crafts. It's such a happy occasion and that day does not require splitting between my family and my in-laws, so no hurting people's feelings or shuttling from one holiday to another. I love it! 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Loving this thread! I'm in full Christmas mode!

Favorite Movie: This is hard, but if I had to choose it's between Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown! and The Year Without A Santa Claus

Favorite Song: Let it Snow

Favorite Tradition: A new one for me...Taking DD with my best friend and her husband (and whoever else we can rope into it) to Opportunity Village for the Christmas Tree Festival in Santa hats
    And an old one...egg no and cookies before bed in Christmas jammies with my family on Christmas Eve
  • Options
    Favorite movie: Either Prancer or The Year Without a Santa Claus. I love all of the movies in the style of The Year Without a Santa Claus. I know it is the holiday season when I watch those.

Favorite song: Baby, It's Cold Outside. I don't know why I love it. It does seem strange that the guy is trying to give the girl another drink and to keep her at his house...

Favorite tradition: I'm not sure that I have one anymore. My husband is a firm believer that if your family is close enough, you spend the holiday with them. It hasn't really allowed for us to make any traditions. I love doing stockings, though. My husband's family doesn't do them, which is weird to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker