July 2017 Moms

Weekly pregnancy chatter 11/28

Re: Weekly pregnancy chatter 11/28

• @GeorgiaWife6912 I am an insane person, but here's my routine:

-Wash with Tatcha Camelia cleansing oil
    -Wash with Glossier Milky Jelly cleanser
    -Scrub with Tatcha rice enxyme exfoliating powder
    -Witch hazel as toner (put it on with a cotton pad)
    -Missha First Essence (put it on with a cotton pad)
    -Pat in Tata Harper serum 
    -Pat in Tarte Majurca eye cream
    -Pat inFrench Nivea cream

That's at night. In the morning, I just do the toner, essence, serum, and SPF. The Tatcha stuff is expensive, but lasts FOREVER (seriously, I've been using the travel sized exfoliater for a year now!) and it's preggo-safe. I still get occasional hormonal acne, but my skin looks great otherwise!
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • @GeorgiaWife6912  here goes - it's kind of similar to @leilac  in that it's oil based: 

PM:
    - wash with Shu Uemura cleansing oil (pricey at $65/bottle, but a bottle lasts about a year or so. you can also make your own cleansing oil) 
    - follow with Apple Cider Vinegar as toner with cotton pad (50/50 ACV and H20)
    - spritz of Rosewater spray
    - moisturize with one pump argan oil, liberal amount of coconut oil (I'm looking pretty greasy before bed) 

AM: 
    - splash with water 
    - Witchhazel toner with cotton pad
    - spritz of Rosewater spray
    - light moisturizer - Hawaiian tea tree moisturizer 
    - SPF 

when I get a pimple, I make sure to apply ACV with cotton pad on that spot morning and night. At the very least, the swelling goes down almost overnight. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2016
    @leilac @satsumasandlemons those routines sound great in theory.... but I'm lucky if I even get around to washing my face at night (probably most of my problem haha). There's no way I could keep that up!

edit: bump ate my post

Me: 33 DH: 33

Married: 6.9.12
    DS born: 4.9.14
    DD born 7.27.17

• @ninambutler I mentioned all the way at the top that I can't picture another kid in our scenario right now - I am with you, I do not feel connected to this baby at all! Like, I know I'm pregnant because i am exhausted by 7 and my period hasn't started and my boobs are sore, but I don't know what's going on down there, and what if there's no heart beat, and I just don't feel connected. I have been grappling with this feeling and didn't quite know how to say it. anyways. hoping it'll change with the u/s.... IN TWO LONG WEEKS! bleh. 

Just had my ultrasound today. Everything looked great, saw the heartbeat. I obviously am glad, but still feel no different. My husband is confused. He is so excited and I'm like, eh, cool. What is wrong with me?!!?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • @ninambutler There isnt anything wrong with you. This is my second and my Mom has to keep reminding me that everything feels a little worse because I am chasing a toddler around this time. Plus first trimester has been miserable so far for me. You will connect in time. Go buy a little something for the baby or work on some names. I am struggling pretty hard with connecting as well but like someone said earlier we may be comparing our end of pregnancy feelings from our last child to our situation right now. I dont remember how I felt this far in last time.
  • So my dr called last night to tell my my swab came back for BV (I had increased discharge at my appointment and asked him to do a workup). He started me on oral antibiotics and of course I fell down a Google rabbit hole and apparently BV has a HUGE link to second trimester miscarriage (specifically weeks 15-18) and then PPROM and preterm labor if you make it past that. And this is all regardless if treated, it's just correlated with BV being found in the first trimester. 

Awesome. Great. Can't wait to live every day waiting for the pregnancy to end. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @dancegurl1118 I'm a pPROM mama! While my heart skipped a beat reading your post because I didn't expect that, it's wonderful that you caught your BV and advocated to get it treated. I hope so much that you don't have to deal with preterm labor or pPROM, but know there are neonatologist and high risk OBs for just such occasions that's really know their shit and know how to try their absolute hardest to keep to you pregnant!
  • @str13 I'm a L&B nurse and specialized high risk OB nurse at the largest hospital in our state. That's why I'm so terrified, because I see firsthand every day what happens. So happy everything turned out well for you, I love nothing more than positive outcomes. 

I hate to be a Debbie downer I just see the negative outcomes all the time. I just wish I was blissfully naive about all the horrible things that happen in so many pregnancies. I need a men-in-black style mind reset just until July. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • supermom83supermom83 member
    edited November 2016
    @ dancegurl1118 That sounds tremendously stressful. I'm so sorry. Google is the devil. Back away from google and try as best as possible to surround yourself with positivity and happy pregnancy stories. I didn't personally go through a positive BV diagnosis, and I am not an L&D nurse, so I can't even imagine what you've seen and all the horrors you must know about, but I do understand how the mind can go to very dark places once fear takes hold. It's so debilitating, and it just sucks all the happiness out of even the littlest of things. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this added stress, but googling will only make it worse! I remember googling up a storm and wallowing in all the horror stories out there, and there is no shortage of horror stories and horrible depressing statistics. You're doing everythigng you can to make sure your pregnancy progresses well, you're taking the antibiotics and I'm sure taking care of yourself very well. Try to focus on what you can control, and find strength in that. It's what kept me going when I thought the worst. I'm not going to bore you with my own past pregnancy dramas since it's not related, but I sure do understand the horrible feeling of dread and helplessness just waiting for something bad to happen.

I just want you to know that I'll be here for you if you ever need someone to talk to, or a virtual shoulder to cry on. I get it, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and continue to send you all the positive juju I can muster!
  • Just booked a hotel room to get away with hubby for the weekend! Mil is watching ds. I'm super excited for the hot tub, I'm always cold, dh keeps reminding me I can't sit in it. But I can put my feet in, which is all I do anyways. 
  • morgarita said:
    Just booked a hotel room to get away with hubby for the weekend! Mil is watching ds. I'm super excited for the hot tub, I'm always cold, dh keeps reminding me I can't sit in it. But I can put my feet in, which is all I do anyways. 
    God i miss hot tubs!!! We even have one in our basement but havent really used it since we stsrted TTC, so we finally drained it when we got a BFP.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Ah a weekend away sounds so nice! Enjoy!
  • @str13 I'm a L&B nurse and specialized high risk OB nurse at the largest hospital in our state. That's why I'm so terrified, because I see firsthand every day what happens. So happy everything turned out well for you, I love nothing more than positive outcomes. 

I hate to be a Debbie downer I just see the negative outcomes all the time. I just wish I was blissfully naive about all the horrible things that happen in so many pregnancies. I need a men-in-black style mind reset just until July. 
    Didn't mean it that way, or to negate your feelings. I'm sincerely sorry. You have a lot to be afraid of, I truly understand. I'm a preemie mom and a nurse as well. My outcome was positive in many ways and negative in others. Good luck. 
  • @str13 ah don't apologize I'm just in a negative headspace and being a negative Nancy. It's just hard feeling like I'm waiting for something to go wrong. Yikes!
  • @str13 ah don't apologize I'm just in a negative headspace and being a negative Nancy. It's just hard feeling like I'm waiting for something to go wrong. Yikes!
    I totally know what you mean!! It's one of those times where the more you know the worse it is! Ugh. It sticks. I'm being a negative Nancy today too! I'm buying an icecream for myself tonight!! 
  • @GeorgiaWife6912 I use Burts bee and I moisturize with jojoba oil. That's it. If I remember I use witch hazel as a toner but I find my skin responds best to less. Also I used the Neutrogena natural line before and they were good too! Just the cleanser and makeup remover all in one.
  • edited November 2016
    @oheliza44 I have a similar situation to you but I live in a different country from my family. My mom and one of my little sisters are coming over to visit for 3 weeks when baby is born but who knows when I'll see them next. it's also a bit hard because I know my kid will grow up not knowing my side of the family well, and I wish all my siblings could meet and hold my baby while it's little (I come from a family who adores all babies). I guess it's just one of those things you have to learn to live with, though it's no ideal. hopefully since your mom is retiring she will be able to spend more time with you and your baby.
  • supermom83supermom83 member
    edited December 2016
    Vent: My pets are harassing me. They won't leave me alone!! Ever since I got pregnant, the cat is glued to me, and the dog won't leave my side. It'd be super cute if it weren't 24/7! I'm a SAHM so they are both always stuck to me. I'm going crazy! I've resorted to locking myself in the bathroom for a small break while they both cry at the door waiting for me to come out! lol It's driving me crazy! 

Edited for spelling
  • I scored awesome non maternity clothes that can be maternity on clearance this weekend! I love yoga pants with the fold over waistband because it doubles as maternity and yoga. Pair with a float tunic and BOOM! Maternity outfit for less!!! 

Also love the Liz Lange skinny jeans at target! 
  • kat0607kat0607 member
    edited December 2016
    Question for STM+ or those who have bought maternity clothes already - what are some good stores (not online) to purchase from? Best quality, price and selection? I hate online shopping because I need to try things on.
  • @kat0607 Target, Motherhood Maternity, and Kohls.  I can usually find some good deals between the three of them... at least last pregnancy.

Me: 33 DH: 33

Married: 6.9.12
    DS born: 4.9.14
    DD born 7.27.17

• Old Navy has maternity in some stores @kat0607. You can search on their website to find out if one near you does. 

Motherhood has better quality than some other places--like, the material is thicker in their t-shirts than I've found elsewhere. But I like my maternity jeans from ON. They are good enough and cheaper than Motherhood. 
  • So jealous of the ultrasound thread. That is all. 

Tomorrow is 6 weeks for me and I'll still have 2 more weeks to go for my first u/s. I can't picture our life with a second baby and im scared that means it's not going to happen. 

Wow sorry for the dramatic Monday morning post! 
    Same!!! I'll be 10 weeks when I get confirmation of pregnancy and my freaking first appointment. I just want to know that everything's OKAY. 
  • I tried not to buy maternity clothes. I bought some dresses at Loft and I can still wear them later like a regular dress. The only thing I got was maternity shorts at ON. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @kat0607 I know you said clothes and not online, but in case you may be interested.. I bought a belavation maternity band on amazon. It allows you to wear your current jeans or other zippered/buttoned pants without closing them. It's only $15 and it has saved me a few times. I wear it now even though I'm not "showing" because bloat is crazy and I don't want to zip up my pants all the way lol
  • I live for Old Navy maternity. It's so cheap and they're one of the few brands that make long maternity jeans (I'm 6'0). They've really stepped up their game since I bought maternity clothes 2 years ago there as well (outerwear, activewear). 
  • @ninambutler It is still very early to feel a connection! I didnt with my son until I starting feeling the kicks. So do not beat yourself up about that. It is completely normal, and instead of trying to force it, just try to sit back and let the love develop
  • @kat0607 I've gone to a few ON with maternity and the selection sucks. Ifyou spend $50 you get free shipping and return shipping is free. That makes it waay better for me because I'm never quite sure. I find the ON maternity sizes run nearly idential to ladies.
  • @kat0607 Iike Motherhood because of the selection and the very imporant fact that their jeans don't get saggy when you wear them. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from the Gap figuring I'll return anything that doesn't fit. They have some great sales this time of year!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is anyone here attempting a VBAC? I tried searching but couldn't find anything :smile: I had a c-section the first time and I am unsure if I want to do a VBAC this time or just schedule a repeat c-section. If anyone has had one I would love to hear your experience! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @StacyH0507 So I ended up with a repeat C-section with DD2 and will be again but I can give you my story. 

My first was failure-to-progress. With pitocin, I got to about 9.5cm and couldn't get any further so midwife had me try to push. For an hour, with no progress. Had my section, and she was wedged in and they even struggled to pull her out then. 9lb 4oz and 21.5 inches. I'm only 5'3" being generous. 

Fast forward to #2, I spent my whole pregnancy planning to VBAC, reading up on induction options and risks (women in my family just don't go into labor on our own), spoke with midwife and OB in my practice. Even the midwife said I probably wasn't a good candidate. Her reasoning was the size of my baby and the fact that I'd dilated so much meant I'd been in good labor and just couldn't deliver. I didn't end up dilating at all by the time of my due date (just like with DD1--with her I was induced at 41w3d and was maybe dilated a centimeter) and ended up opting for a scheduled section on my due date. If I'd gone into labor, I'd have tried a VBAC. 

The reasons I opted for the section were (1) the midwife (not just an OB) even said I probably wasn't going to fare well, I understood her reasoning, and I felt like if even she wasn't optimistic, I probably was going to end up with a section anyway, and (2) I really couldn't face another 36 hour labor with a section at the end, and being so exhausted afterward I couldn't even hold my baby without falling asleep. Also, DD1 was born not breathing, hadn't tolerated the pitocin really well, and was so wedged in that I'm convinced pushing did her more harm than good. 

(FYI, don't pay attention to the people who say a woman rarely has a child her body can't birth. Midwife said that used to be true, when there wasn't a lot of cross cultural marriage. But now you have tiny Italian women with big Irish guys a foot taller than they are (me and DH) and that doesn't always hold true anymore.)

Hope that helps. Happy to talk more if you like. I did so much research. 
  • @stacyh0507 I'm on #2 and hopeful for a VBAC. #1 I got to 9 cm in 12ish hours on my own and drug free until the last 2 hours. It took me 4 hours to get to 9.5cm. At that point they suggested I push to open up the rest of the way. My cervix had other ideas and started closing and swelling. The midwife called the OB and at that point everyone agreed I could try and push, but both felt confident it would still end up with a section. At the point we made the decision the OR was open and it was just the safer option. After the section the OB and midwife said as long as I waited 18 months for #2 and healed properly I would be a good candidate for VBAC. Let's hope they say the same thing once we get further down the path this time!!
  • Thanks @hqinmd and @flipflopped! My first c-section was due to my twins being breech and today the OB told me I would have about a 75% chance of success since I only had a section due to position but I am still really nervous! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Do twins always need a CS? I don't know what I'm having yet but in the off chance... I was just wondering. I understand it's necessary sometimes, but it's a big fear of mine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @plumpous I believe it's more likely with twins that there will be a c section but you can definitely do a vaginal birth with twins as well. I think their positioning is the important thing when it comes to that. That's just what I've gathered from some preliminary research...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @plumpous depends on their position and your OB. Some will insist on a section so I suggest if you do have twins, find out early how your OB feels about it. 

Most will require an epidural because they want to be able to do a c-section very quickly if things turn badly.
  • I totally agree with the "bodies don't make babies that they can't birth out" not being true anymore. Some babies just WILL NOT come regardless of what you do, and how many days you're doing it for. 

There are so many different varibles in labor. 
  • @StacyH0507, I ended up with a c-section with my first because I never went into labor. I was 41w2d and nothing was happening. Not a single contraction, not even a fingertip dilated. They refused to induce me because they said it would lead to an emergency c-section. So I had a scheduled c-section at 41w2d. Never had a single contraction! 

Then i really really tried to vbac with DS2. I labored for 5 days straight. Contractions every 6 minutes for a minute long for FIVE continous days! Didn't sleep a wink, felt like i was losing my mind. Apparently, I was having what they call prodromal labor...google it, it sucks. So I finally check into the hospital on day 5 because I just can't anymore. I ask for an epidural and fall instantly asleep! Next morning they wake me up, still contracting, they break my water to help speed things along, I get to 8.5cm but baby's heart rate suddenly drops. I'm rushed in for an emergency c-section. Cord was wrapped around his neck two times and he was blue and my uterus was about to rupture. Doctor saved my life and the life of my baby! 

I'm not allowed to vbac this time, and doctor doesn't even want me to have a single contraction, so she said I don't have to get a c-section at 38 weeks. 

But so many women vbac successfully! My neighbor just had her second successful vbac. It can be done and I encourage you to try! As long as you have a vbac friendly doctor who knows what they're doing, they will let you go as long as it's a safe and will make sure you and baby are safe. So the most important part of all of this is finding a good, highly rated vbac doctor you trust! 

• JAM85JAM85 member
    edited December 2016
    @StacyH0507 me! I am going to do everything in my power (which unfortunately isn't much) to get a VBAC for this one (#2). My first was breech from 30 weeks on. I did everything- and I literally mean everything from the whole spinning babies site, to chiro, acupuncture, and eventually an external version and nothing worked and neither was there a physical reason for her to be breech. Just sheer stubbornness. Well at 37.5weeks I went into labor after a cervical check ended with a bit too much bleeding right after so I went to L&D which lead to full on contractions (so weird to feel your stomach rise and fall and watch them on the screen but other than tightening didn't feel like anything) and by the time they had me walk to the OR my water broke. 

I hated my section. I had a bad reaction to the meds so I was throwing up involuntarily the whole time and could hardly focus on my daughter and I couldn't feel my hands or move them to touch her. Hated it. 

So yeah hoping for a VBAC. I keep telling monkey daily that they need to be head down!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think I screwed up my first trimester screening lol I'm supposed to prick my finger and place drops of blood in these circles but I'm sure at least one of them is too small... :-/
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker