January 2017 Moms

Tubes tied anyone?

Hi Ladies!  I had my 31 week appnt the other day and signed the papers to get my tubes tied ;(  I know I've posted before about my background (3rd section, all close- uterus being monitored and being ruled out for placenta accreta, high rish doc will tell me thursday of this week if I can wait till 38 weeks of if they are going to make me go at 36)  I know it's the responsible thing to do. Still a little emotional about it though.  But this pregnancy was twins and one didn't make it so I guess if I was really meant to have 4 then I would have.  SO that- I can wrap my head around.  Just wondering if any other ladies are getting tubes tied?  Are you totally on board with it, a little nervous? etc....  Hope everyone is feeling well!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tubes tied anyone?

• I will be getting mine tied. It will be my second csection. I am totally for it. I feel too old to do this again.
  • @Teach123
    So we're ina  similar boat.  From what I've been told our recovery will be the same as previous c sections.  Have you heard any different?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it just depends on the person. My first was an emergency csection, and it was a nightmare to recover from. I'm hoping a scheduled section will go much smoother. I've had friends who had multiple sections tell me their second or third sections were so much easier. I'm hoping that's the case for me. 
  • raquel87raquel87 member
    edited November 2016
    I plan to have this done as well. 
    This is my 4th pregnancy and I have a step son so 5 is definitely enough for me! However the closer I get to delivery the more apprehensive I get. I know our family will be complete after this little one is born. But taking the ability to carry more children away from myself, bothers me a little bit. 

Edited because the bump ate half my post 
  • Both my previous sections were scheduled and my recovery was very good.  I never took the percocet they gave me  only motrin.  If you can, get up immediately- like as soon as they will let u.  With my first it was that night and with my second they told me the next morning and I insisted on that night so they let me.  My incision got infected with my second but it wasn't bad.  And was from me doing way too much right after  Son born 9/4 Hubby's b day 9/9 30 people over for cake etc.  Not my brightest idea.  I also had a 17 month old and I kept squatting down to hug him bc I coulnd't pick him up.  I'd say they were both really good.  My 17 month old made my second one harder.  Hoping this one isn't too bad.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @raquel87 I agree.  That's alot of what I feel.  I keep asking my husband "are you sure, are you positive?!"  And a part of me wants him to say no.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Both my husband and I are positive. I'm 37. Babies are over for me. 
  • We've been talking about this. When we first got pregnant this time (#2) I said right away that if I needed another c-section I'd just get my tubes tied at the same time. I'll be 35 when this baby is born and I feel old! We said we were done after one though, and now we're so glad we're having a second. I don't know yet if another c-section is even in the cards, but the closer we get to finding out the more apprehensive I am about closing that door. DH said he'll get a vasectomy if that's what I really want. I'm also limited on birth control options (I can't use anything with estrogen) and the thought of an IUD turns me off. Sigh. Pregnant women should not have to make these kind of decisions.... it's hard enough for me without the hormones. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm thinking about getting mine done but not right away. We are both 100% sure on wanting only two children so our family will be complete after this babe is born. But I am still relatively young (turning 30 on the 9th) so it's still looming in the back of my mind. I'll be getting an IUD after this babe until I know for sure that we are absolutely finished with babies.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • I think I'm going to have H get snipped just as double insurance. That's how done I am. Lol
  • My husband had a vasectomy done about 3 weeks ago. #4 is the final baby in this house
  • If I end up with a CS, then I will have them tie mine. And DH will be getting a vasectomy either way.

I am so very done with being pregnant.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I end up with a CS, then I will have them tie. This is my fourth pregnancy and I don't want anymore kids. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sagoon  I'm with you on this. I was planning on having mine tied this go around, but with more research, saw a lot of info about people having complications later--horrid periods, early menopause, flashes, hysterectomies, etc. So I was like F it, I'm not going to chance it, my body has born two kids and had two miscarriages. Go get neutered. He agreed. He's going for Spring Break. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • This is #5 for us, we are for sure done and I will be getting my tubes tied. I haven't signed anything so I should bring it up again at my next appointment I guess lol. This will be my 3rd VBA2C (if all goes as the last two that is) so they will be doing an outpatient surgery for me through my belly button. I think I've finally settled to do it after baby is born and I'm already in the hospital vs at 6wk pp.

It's definitely bittersweet. I always wanted 5 kids, so I'm happy to be having another; but I'm sad that I will never again feel a new life moving around inside me. I'm also still getting over the fact of never having a daughter to raise, that is what I think I will struggle with the most.

Everything I've read/heard from others that have had their tubes tied but NOT included in a c-section have said the recovery is very minor.

I had 2 c-sections, both of my recoveries were similar. I hope all you ladies have smooth recoveries after your c-sections! Neither of mine were 'scheduled' or 'planned' but my cousin had 4 c-sections and her last 3 were planned and she said the planned ones recovery were much better than her 1 un-planned one!  
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • I am having my tubes tied but my husband is also considering having a vasectomy. Reason is this our last one we don't want anymore and are confident in that decision. But also I am having a uterine ablation done so my periods are less severe. So if I were to get pregnant it could pose serious risks. That's why we are both getting them done. Can't take any chances! We are both very psyched to not have to worry about hormonal birth control or using condoms. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @streulim I think I'm most excited about the no more condoms...bwahahahaha
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • @mommywesley I have heard and read that a lot about planned vs. unplanned csections with respect to the recovery. I don't understand why though. It's the same surgery, isn't it? The only thing I can think of is that if you've already had a failed induction or some other issue come up during spontaneous labor that perhaps your body is just shot from that and it takes a toll on your body plus the recovery from a surgery. I'm just curious really since I have heard it quite frequently. 
  • @LoneStar21416 I do believe laboring beforehand can play a part in the recovery process. I labored for 14-16hrs with my two prior to having the c-sections. But neither of mine were deemed 'emergency c-sections' because we weren't like rushed into the OR to remove them in 10min flat etc. We were able to prepare, do the spinal etc. 

I'm not exactly sure what all the differences are in planned vs un-planned just because I've never had a planned one to compare my 2 to. I do know that taking BOTH the tylenol and ibuprofen right after helps a ton lol, my poor SIL they didn't give her 1 of them and she was in a major amount of pain afterwards until they gave her the 2nd med and then she was feeling better. 
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • I will be having mine tied during my c-section. We're sure we only want two, and the stress that each pregnancy has caused us and the problems that we have during, has definitely made the decision easier.  My OB told me at my last appointment that she's  happy I'm tying them because she says she's just as stressed with how this pregnancy is going. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  •  I do know that taking BOTH the tylenol and ibuprofen right after helps a ton lol, my poor SIL they didn't give her 1 of them and she was in a major amount of pain afterwards until they gave her the 2nd med and then she was feeling better. 
    With DS, by mid-day the day following my section I was in so much pain, then even worse that night. I couldn't even hold him to nurse. I was begging for something, and Nurse Hatchet reluctantly got the Dr. on call and got me some Loratabs (which do nothing for me btw). When my Doc came by at 5 a.m. for my checkup I told him...he then realized they never gave me my 800mg Ibuprofen. He was furious! After that I was fine. I will make sure that will never happen again. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • @AlabamaRedhead
    Oh I keep track of my motrin!!!!!  I know down to the minute when I can have it again lol  That is miserable!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @AlabamaRedhead YES I think that is like EXACTLY what happened to my SIL...it infuriates me that they can let those things slide and get missed...ugh! No mom should be in so much pain she is unable to hold her newborn...at that point it should be a red flag with them double checking all the charts etc. 
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • I wasn't in pain with mine. I had one of those get the baby out now csections, and it kind of turns into a slice and rip kind of thing. I'm definitely glad they got my baby out healthy, but the mom's body can suffer from it. Mine didn't heal up well for a long time. Part of it had to do with the significant amount of bruising I had after the procedure. 
  • They gave me so many pain pills. Vicodin, Oxy...whatever I needed in the hospital. But, I absolutely hate pain med's and feeling dazed and confused. I left the hospital 24 hours after my c-section and declined pain medication prescription. I definitely regretted that once I was home. I pulled a stitch internally from bending and twisting like super woman (that made recovery take way longer). ended up begging for them to refill my Vicodin (I can't take Oxy) that I never took home (mistake, very hard to get after discharge). took it for about a week and felt OK but lots of pain still. mostly horrible back pain. couldn't sleep in bed, slept on the couch with and heating pad. it's all things I hope not to repete by having a VBAC. 
  • @kaytastic25
    Why did you leave 24 hours after the section?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • laujam31 said:
    @kaytastic25
    Why did you leave 24 hours after the section?
    Because DH was complaining about sleeping on the couch and the hospital bed was SO uncomfortable!! I'm bringing my own pillows this time and my heating pad.