May 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

Re: Baby Gear and Baby Item Recomendations - attempt #2

• Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot, I think our old one is slightly larger than they make them now, but I'm not completely sure. We plan on using that one for camping and outside since it is so old and I think it has a small hole in one of the sides.
  • Options
    @absbubbs get the full size. the mini really is mini.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want to add these items under 'Things I found EXTREMELY useful and totally worth the money'

I know we probably span the spectrum of whether or not we think kids should have medicine (from gas drops to Tylenol to ABOs), but chances are they will all need a liquid of some sort at some time. My little guy did GREAT with Colic Calm, but I'm not here to plug that. I am here to plug the following... Disposable syringes (ain't nobody got time to wash one every time you use it!) and bottle adapters (because SPILLS). 

https://www.amazon.com/EASY-GLIDE-Syringe-No-Needle/dp/B00XZ96DOA/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483736376&sr=8-8&keywords=1+ml+syringe+sterile

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JJZ1X84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V9QXRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am honestly considering adding syringes to the list of things I like to gift at showers, because they are SO HELPFUL. 

• Options
    @absbubbs I also vote the regular one. DD outgrew hers some time ago but still slept in it when we went on a mini vacation after she turned 2. A mini would not have worked ha

• Options
    emilyalso said:
    I want to add these items under 'Things I found EXTREMELY useful and totally worth the money'

I know we probably span the spectrum of whether or not we think kids should have medicine (from gas drops to Tylenol to ABOs), but chances are they will all need a liquid of some sort at some time. My little guy did GREAT with Colic Calm, but I'm not here to plug that. I am here to plug the following... Disposable syringes (ain't nobody got time to wash one every time you use it!) and bottle adapters (because SPILLS). 

https://www.amazon.com/EASY-GLIDE-Syringe-No-Needle/dp/B00XZ96DOA/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483736376&sr=8-8&keywords=1+ml+syringe+sterile

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JJZ1X84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V9QXRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am honestly considering adding syringes to the list of things I like to gift at showers, because they are SO HELPFUL. 

I wouldn't have thought of this.  If I expect to give multiple consecutive doses, I usually just rinse the syringe in nearest sink and call it good.  I wash them about once day.  I honestly have so many syringes from various bottles of tylenol/Ibuprofen over the last 3 years.  And I'm always so hesitant to use a syringe that didn't come w/ the medicine because I always see that warning on meds and prescriptions.  I see that some of the links say FDA approved, so maybe that's a fix for that issue.

DD got some hydrocodone for her broken arm the other day.  I only ended up giving her one dose but I was super annoyed by the syringe situation.  Her dose was supposed to be 3.75, but the syringe CVS gave us didn't have a line for 3.75.  I was so worried about OD'ing her on some strong pain meds that I only gave her 3.5.  I also hate the CVS syringes they give you with their meds.  Half the time the suction doesn't work.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    If you have any friends who work in hospitals, ask them for a few. We have syringes coming out our ears - for obvious reasons but it would be no big deal to grab 5-10 for someone! 
    Another awesome hospital friend thing to ask for is the mouth swab sponges, we used those every bath to clean their mouths.  Our NICU team sent us home with so many it was amazing.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    redheelerredheeler member
    edited January 2017
    @kat81 covered it, just leave it at that! Just put that comment in a post of its own and sticky it lol

eta: my phone thinks I mean "if" not "it"
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    emilyalso said:
    I am here to plug the following... Disposable syringes (ain't nobody got time to wash one every time you use it!) and bottle adapters (because SPILLS). 

This! My tiny son needed a medication at one point, so we picked up the prescript for like $6 or something, went home, had a few doses... the next day, spilled the rest of the bottle (so clumsy!) and had to have it refilled, and of course the insurance didn't want to cover it again so soon... and it was like $115 out of pocket! Just for stupidly knocking it over!!! We were so angry with ourselves over something so dumb and avoidable. True story.
  • Options
    I'm having trouble figuring this out. For the Graco Pack and Play, it comes with a thin pad. Lucie's List says to get sheets. Other Pack and Play reviewers say to also get waterproof mattress pads (mini crib size). Other other reviewers say the mattress pads don't fit the pad itself, only a mini mattress if you buy one for the extra comfort. I don't want to get a separate mattress. Does anyone know if mattress pads and sheets fit on the pad that comes with? Or, did you just forgo sheets and such? 
  • Options
    @starphish18 I got the quilted sheets for the pack n play last time. They are by Graco so they fit but they have some cushion and absorbency compared to the cheap plain sheets. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    In my experience the p&p sheets fit the mini mattress and would have been very loose on the bottom pad, but I wasn't a big p&p user. My mom got one for her house and we mostly used it as a baby jail. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pack and play sheets will fit the pad and definitely make it comfier. Not sure about geting the waterproof mattress pad since the pad itself is waterproof and mine was quilted and somewhat padded. We ended up getting a mattress After about 6 months because my son slept in it in our room for a long time, although the mattress is not recommended for safety reasons.
  • Options
    American Baby Company Heavenly Soft Chenille Fitted Pack N Play Playard Sheet, Gray Honeycomb, 27" x 39" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBRJF2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cazDyb95A56GT

This is what I have for my p&p, the sheet is somewhat loose on just the pad but you can tuck it in under the pad. They sell some little straps,for the bottom if your concerned about it not staying taught. I also have these chenille sheets for my full size crib and they are pretty soft and have held up nicely. 
  • Options
    I need some advice on a diaper bag for two kiddos. DD is potty trained, but I usually take an extra pair of clothes and some panties in case of an accident. Depending on how long we will gone and where we are going I will also bring her a snack and a cup. 

I have been been wanting a backpack diaper bag, since you know two kids and needing all the hands I can have available, however I can't find one with good reviews. A lot of them say that the straps start to rip or that they are hard to organize. Does anyone have any advice or do you have a backpack diaper bag yourself that you would recommend? 
  • Options
    @achays11 we had a JuJuBe diaper bag/backpack with the twins and I thought it was great.  I sold it after we started using little backpacks for the kids and will be buying another one this time around.

I've also heard great things about the Petunia Pickle Bottom ones but never actually used them.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    @achays11 - I use a regular backpack right now, and can't imagine going back to any other style. With #2 on the way, I've been thinking I'll need more room too. After MANY blog post readings and YouTube video watchings, I think I've decided on the Jujube Be Right Back. It's so roomy and I love the cutesy prints (it comes in black and grey if that's not your thing though). 

My best friend has had the Eddie Bauer backpack for a while and loves it!!! It's definitely a more wallet friendly option. 
  • Options
    @achays11 We just used a light daypack (Deuter 15L) - not baby-specific so doesn't have a million pockets but it did the trick for us. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I have the petunia pickle bottom boxy backpack and I really like it. It is very functional and the fold out changing pad is great. Its a very nice quality bag. I got the glazed canvas and after 1.5 years it looks brand new in perfect condition.  Although for 2 kids I don't think it is large enough. I just got a mud pie bigger bundle bag to prepare for the 2 kids (cannot be worn as a backpack). You can test them out in Buy Buy Baby or Nordstrom. I got mine directly from the petunia website on clearance because the pattern was old (beautiful Barcelona).
  • Options
    2 part question, probably for STM's:
    1. Did you do a Baby/ diaper kit in the car? Something with diapers, wipes, change of clothes for baby and you?
    2. If you did this, and live somewhere hot, how'd things (primarily wipes) hold up?

I want to keep my diaper bag as light as possible because of my bad shoulders so I'm hoping I can rely on a car kit to restock. However, Phoenix living...
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe I have an emergency diaper bag in the car and DH has one in the truck.  Mine has 2 diapers for each size, a romper for each kid, and a pack of unopened wipes.  DH's is 1 diaper per baby and a pack of wipes in a gallon size ziplock.

We are in Houston and those small plastic travel size containers will dry out in the summer.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    @chickyclg So if I do them in a ziploc they'll stay moist?
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the backpack suggestions! @chickyclg since you have twins, I imagine you had more baby stuff than most in your bag. Did you have any trouble with the straps at all? That the trouble that I am seeing in a lot of reviews for the JuJuBe. 

@emilyalso I use a regular backpack when we go to Disneyland or places like that, but I think that mine is too big for everyday use. If you don't mind, which one do you use for everyday. Also, did your friend use a regular Eddie Bauer or do they have a diaper bag option? 
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe I swear I'm not stalking you or your questions today. :)  I never kept a diaper kit in my car, but that's a good idea.  I do keep a plastic container of Wet Ones in my car for every day kid face cleanup.  That seems to stay moist in the Phoenix heat.  I assume a Ziploc would work as well.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe I swear I'm not stalking you or your questions today. :)  I never kept a diaper kit in my car, but that's a good idea.  I do keep a plastic container of Wet Ones in my car for every day kid face cleanup.  That seems to stay moist in the Phoenix heat.  I assume a Ziploc would work as well.
    LOL you can stalk my questions as long as you continue providing helpful answers like these :D
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @achays11 - Similar to what @mdlorenz said, the one I have now is an Osprey Daylight Daypack (from an outdoor store). It's not tiny, but I hate how I can't get to what's in the bottom easily. That's one thing I really like about the BRB - it unzips all the way down so nothing in inaccessible. 

Eddie Bauer DOES make a specific diaper bag backpack - I'm pretty sure Target carries them, or you could easily find them online. 
  • Options
    @achays11 It is not a beauty, but after buying this diaper bag to use on a trip we have never went back to our expensive pretty ones, because this one was so much easier to use and set up to be perfectly organized. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Boom-Spaces-and-Places-Backpack-Diaper-Bag/23597256 I think it will have plenty of space for two babies. My only concern will be if there is enough space for liquid, but we have a couple little snap on coolers that we could clip to the bag. 

@nda_roxybabe I kept a few diapers and an extra outfit for him in my car. Didn't keep wipes in the car because they would have froze. Didn't ever end up using them and just found them in the console a month ago, but it is good to be safe. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    I have a Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy (glazed). I've had and used it for 5 years now and it still looks new! Definitely worth the investment. When I had DD2, DD1 was out of diapers, so I really only needed to carry around snacks/sipping cup for her. I think the bag was big enough for two kids. Plus on baby #2 you tend to realize what is a necessity to really carry in the bag! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options

@nda_roxybabe I have one of these and I use it on a daily basis. Its so perfect for on the go. It fits a couple diapers, a small package of wipes, couple pouches of food, a little onesie.. whatever you want to carry. I use this all the time for little trips to the grocery store or to a restaurant... or when I don't want to carry my whole diaper bag ( i just leave the diaper bag in the car). Perfect for taking to the bathroom with baby for changes.

https://www.amazon.com/Ju-Ju-Be-Legacy-Collection-Quick-Wristlet/dp/B0159501K4/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484158062&sr=8-1&keywords=juju+be+quick&th=1

you can also look at youtube videos about how much stuff people pack into these little bags. Comes in a ton of cute patterns and you just toss in the wash machine.

I find that when i put wipes in those little boxes they dry out. So usually I will buy the smaller travel pack of wipes and keep my little wristlet stocked. They don't dry out in the disposable packages.

• Options
    @lrwardrop Yes! I've been thinking of getting a wristlet as well. 
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    I've also been wanting a backpack diaper bag this time around. Last time I had a messenger style one and my hubby just used a backpack, and I always ended up reaching for his.  For all you FTM whose husband will have baby often, I do recommend having one for each. My diaper bag was also my purse, so it was nice not having to take my stuff out each time. 

I really like this one but have no idea on quality! 
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    edited January 2017
    @nda_roxybabe: We're in Massachusetts but the car temps in the summer still get scorching, so def use a ziplock bag for wipes, it helps. My son often gets carsick after more than 10 minutes in the car, so we rely on a car kit heavily. Extra diapers and changes of clothes. Rags/towels (various uses). Also: Plastic grocery bags for messes (diapers and throw-up trash, dirty clothes), a roll of paper towels, and a spray bottle of all-purpose cleaner (for the car seat).

P.S. With dried-out baby wipes, out of sheer desperation, I've thrown bottled water and hand-sanitizer on them for the wetness factor, so you'll always have that as a backup.
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe the Ziplock bag isn't  required, DH does that more to keep every thing together.  I have a cheap freebie Similac diaper bag for my car.  If your wipes do ever do get dry you can add a little water to wet then again.

@achays11 I never had any problems with the straps,  usually I would hang it on the stroller because life was chaos back then though.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    Trying to decide between the Jujube BFF (converts b/w shoulder strap and backpack straps) and the Pickle Bottom Glazed boxy bag. Anyone had the BFF? I saw @h&pmomma had the Pickle Bottom and it's held up. Any feedback on the BFF or JuJuBe in general?
  • Options
    WombThereItIsWombThereItIs member
    edited January 2017
    Probably dumb STM question:

what is with the massive sea change in what people are using to put babies in around the house? My son is an N14 kid and we all used bouncers or swings/mamaroo type things. Now the internet is showing me a ton of big plush donut things like a doc a tot and bean bags? 

Kind of want to use you guys as a sounding board. 1. If bumpers on a crib are a no no how the heck is a plush pillow fort safe? 2. Anyone like and use one of these? 3. Am I missing some big revelation that makes the bouncers bad and theee good? 

I had a nightmare getting my son to break his RNP habit and sleep on an open flat surface like a crib (he didn't nap more than 15 minutes a stretch at daycare from 3-5 months!) so these nests are giving me flashbacks. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    @wombthereitis I have no idea what the rage is about the doc a tot. I don't sew but I bet I could have someone's grandma make one for $10 as opposed to $180!! I was gifted a boppy lounger and my son would lay in it as a newborn but it wasn't some miracle invention that I couldn't live without.
  • Options
    Agreed. I'm with you. I haven't seen anything to indicate why newer items are any different or better (or safer). Use what works best for you! We loved our RNP and will try it again with this little one. (Sorry to hear about the tough transition. FX for less issues this time!) Really, using something totally new doesn't automatically make it better than something 5 years ago. Especially so plushy, I agree.
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:
    @wombthereitis I have no idea what the rage is about the doc a tot. I don't sew but I bet I could have someone's grandma make one for $10 as opposed to $180!! I was gifted a boppy lounger and my son would lay in it as a newborn but it wasn't some miracle invention that I couldn't live without.

to me it looks like my snoogle with a bottom. HMMMM no thank you for $180....
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think all of the non-flat or plush things are not great sleep surfaces.  We used a RNP last time, but there's so much more information out there about it not being safe to sleep and it was a nightmare to transition out of.  I think all those things are fine for places to set your kid with supervision.  This kid will start off sleeping on a flat surface immediately.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor