July 2017 Moms
Options

Prenatal Classes?

My Dr tells me I should go to a prenatal class.  Our's are offered in 5 x 2 hour sessions or a full weekend.  I'm tired enough as is, I'm not sure I would want to come home from work and go to a class or spend an entire weekend in one LOL! (If I'm being honest...)  

That said, knowledge is important.  I am known in my family as a researcher.  I have a pregnancy book and just ordered a breastfeeding book.  As with anything in my life, I am constantly looking things up, reading articles, asking questions etc.  It's a definite habit and sort of "hobby" of mine.  Pregnancy is no exception as a FTM

Should I still go?  Did you/are you going?  Pros/Cons?  Did you find it beneficial?  TIA! 
Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie

Re: Prenatal Classes?

• Options
    We had the same options with our first pregnancy and opted for the full weekend option. It was great and I'm so glad we did it! We were able to tour the birth center during this time and learn about all of the policies at the particular hospital so we were much more relaxed and knew what to expect. For me, I don't think I would have liked the weekly classes as much, it just seemed like a pain in butt to drag myself somewhere after work at that point in the pregnancy. Also, DH was one of those guys who didn't really grasp that we were having a baby until said baby was actually here so I feel like the class made it more real for him and got him more excited. And the 1 time class was an easier sell for him instead of weekly. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    My doctor "made" me do a child birth class with my first and we opted to do the infant care class. I did the child birth one online and honestly thought it was stupid. It's a bunch of "tips" you're not going to remember and talked about the different types of delivery which I already knew about. The infant care class was all day Saturday and was pointless. They didn't teach me anything I didn't already know or had read myself. A total waste of money. The only class that was worth it IMO was the breastfeeding class I took.

I won't be taking any additional classes this time around
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At my first appointment next Monday I am doing a mandatory Childbirth/Pregnancy education "class". I would like to take a breastfeeding class, and a pain management class if they offer once since I am opting to pain-med free

• Options
    FTM here so I can't speak on what I've done, just what I'm planning on. I set up tours at our two main hospitals in the coming weeks. Once we decide on a hospital, I will be taking some of the classes - mainly the prenatal class and the breastfeeding class. Honestly, the biggest reason I'm doing it is to get DH to come - he doesn't have a lot of experience with babies and I think it will be good for him to learn. Plus, they are free, so I'm only out my time if they turn out to not be beneficial!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    We did a weekly class and I'm glad we did. The only reason is that it was taught by a L&D nurse from the hospital I delivered at. Most of it was stuff I already knew, but her insider tips about the hospital made it worth it. Friends took the hospital tour and didn't see as much as we did because she led ours.
  • Options
    AdaByronAdaByron member
    edited November 2016
    I did a childbirth class during 3rd trimester last time. I'm glad I did. It was taught by a doula with experience in natural unmedicated childbirth. Even though I did not plan to go unmedicated, I just wanted to know as much as possible about the process, and all I got from my friends was "go to the hospital, get the drugs, take a nap until it's time to push." In the class she discussed every possible intervention in detail, and the pros and cons of each. Then we spent a class on the floor practicing different positions for labor and she showed the husbands how to apply pressure to the hips or lower back for relief. And one class was dedicated to breastfeeding. I felt completely prepared after that class, and I don't think any amount of reading (I did a lot) could have been as beneficial.
  • Options
    Great advice! Although mixed haha!  Unfortunately this class is local as my hospital is 40-ish minutes from my home.  They probably offer them there as well but if it didn't match up with my work schedule (I live in a small town and commute to the city) I could see it being a real pain to attend.  Hmmm ... decisions decisions haha! 
  • Options
    @runrestrepeat how far along will you be when you are going to do your hospital tour? I wanted to do mine early but I got some flack for that saying "it's too early" "you won't remember things". blah blah. lol
  • Options
    I was glad we went to the childbirth class because it gave my husband a lot of information he wouldn't have researched or wanted to hear from me. I would have no interest in a pregnancy class. 
  • Options
    I never had mandatory classes and my doctor never "made" me take them. I've never taken any classes, but I read everything I can. Everything about pregnancy, cesareans (I will have a 3rd), breastfeeding (even though we're two years strong there still might be something I don't know). Kelleymom is one of my go to sites.
  • Options
    @osucma When I went on my hospital tour with DD I was like 21 weeks and wasn't even showing lol! My doctor was the one pushing me to go on them and choose where I wanted to deliver. It's not like there's much to remember if you're talking about just doing the hospital tour, so you can go early! They didn't think it was weird at all, and I'm a total planner so I wanted to get that stuff out of the way!
  • Options
    My doctor suggested I go to one. I probably will since I believe it falls under the free classes. DH and I will also do a tour of the labor and delivery ward as well
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    RunRestRepeatRunRestRepeat member
    edited November 2016
    @osucma I'll be between 7 an 8 weeks. Both hospitals recommended tours during the first trimester - I can't see why early would be an issue! The main reason we're doing it is because the ob that was recommended to us only delivers at one hospital - if we REALLY like the other hospital better, we'd have to look at switching obs.

ETA: plus, if we do sign up for classes, I'd like to make sure they are at the actual hospital we will be delivering at!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    I'm a reader/researcher but dh and I are also go with the flow people so I didn't find any classes including the breastfeeding to be beneficial. i felt I didn't learn anything new. I may have learned some small stuff but I just felt bored. If there was a class that went over unmedicated births and comprehensive information on inventions I would definitely go. I did a weekend class so maybe we got the summarized for one day info. But I personally would benefit more from a moms group discussing things.   

If you are a need a person in front of you to ask questions defenitely go because my teachers we're very knowledgeable but being a ftm I didn't know what I needed to know. 
  • Options
    @osucma the hospital I delivered at last time (cedars Sinai, birthplace of countless Hollywood kids, lol) also made me come back and tour closer to my edd. 

i wasn't recommended a birth class or a pregnancy class and I feel like maybe I could've used the birth class... as someone with absolutely no experience with babies and never changed a diaper, the newborn class was extremely helpful. They also talked about the first hours and days after you take the kid home - very helpful for both dh and me. 
  • Options
    i wasn't recommended a birth class or a pregnancy class and I feel like maybe I could've used the birth class... as someone with absolutely no experience with babies and never changed a diaper, the newborn class was extremely helpful. They also talked about the first hours and days after you take the kid home - very helpful for both dh and me. 
    I have a niece and nephew so thankfully I know a bit.  I'm also that friend who probes all the other Mom's to tell me the nitty gritty details haha!  DH is the oldest of 4 so he has a lot of experience as well and did a lot of babysitting of babies and toddlers when he was younger.  I actually think he might know more than me! (Don't tell him I said that LOL!)  

My hospital has a great little handbook online that goes through a lot of this information as well.