June 2016 Moms

Teething remedies

Besides something to chew on.  Best gel or tablet?

Re: Teething remedies

• I need to ask my Ped about it, but the research I've done recently on the Baby Orajel, and other local anesthetics, suggests that it is linked to an oxygen deficiency disease in the bloodstream. Rare, but serious. More concerning than that for me, because it is rare, is the idea that I put this numbing gel on DS's gums, his massive amount of drool washes it off, he swallows it, and now the back of his throat is numb, which sounds like no good to me. I'm probably just being extremely paranoid, I mean how long has the product been around and how long have people been using it? I'm just going with the cuddle, extra nursing sessions, and we'll break out the Tylenol if really needed, but I'll probably avoid any gels
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Honestly the washcloth dipped in water then frozen has been the best so far but I worry about tablets cause of what happened with the FDA and I worry about the numbing gels because it supposedly can cause blood oxygen issues.  Here is a link that list some to avoid.  https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm306062.htm
  • Loading the player...
  • I do the cuddle and rag or rubber nubby at home but looking for something I might can send to daycare.  The last couple days they've mentioned that he's "teething pretty good" .  He's still not great at holding something to chew for more than a few seconds (20 weeks) and usually ends up chewing on his hands more than anything.  He already doesn't eat quite as well at daycare as he does at home and if I can get him a little relief and let him eat as well as he can I'd be so happy.  The ratio at daycare is 4:1 and they are probably all teething so I know they can't just cuddle him for any significant amount of time. 
  • I do the cuddle and rag or rubber nubby at home but looking for something I might can send to daycare.  The last couple days they've mentioned that he's "teething pretty good" .  He's still not great at holding something to chew for more than a few seconds (20 weeks) and usually ends up chewing on his hands more than anything.  He already doesn't eat quite as well at daycare as he does at home and if I can get him a little relief and let him eat as well as he can I'd be so happy.  The ratio at daycare is 4:1 and they are probably all teething so I know they can't just cuddle him for any significant amount of time. 
     I once spoke with a daycare worker and she said they can't give kids or remedy stuff for anything cause they "aren't the parents" and God forbid there was an issue.  She said they don't even give Tylenol.  Did you call then and ask if they can even administer something for the other thing.  If they can then maybe they have recommendations since they deal with teething a lot.
  • Hmm, good question. I'll double check tomorrow. 
  • My ped said not use the gels. We've found frozen bagels worked best for our boys. I'd buy the mini ones and half them and then freeze, by the time they start to defrost I'd toss them. I've never found any teething remedy that wasn't messy. Charlotte hasn't started teeth yet but I'm ready. I have some teething rings in the fridge, frozen bagels, and I bought some of the teething toys that are cloth on one end. I'll wet those and then freeze them. Frozen breastmilk in one of those food pouches works great too.
  • Maybe try the teething mit? Or the handkerchief bin with a teething piece on the bottom?

I'm with the other ladies in that I don't give her any type of medication (which includes gels and homeopathic tablets) except for Tylenol when it's really bad. I definitely wouldn't want her taking medication at daycare because she isn't being watched as carefully as at home.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • How are you all getting your babies to take the bottle? mine is cutting 1 tooth on bottom and has refused his bottle for 2 days. will only eat baby food. pediatrician said do not give him baby food until he takes a bottle...but he's not taking and I'm not going to let him starve.. so how r yall getting teething babies to eat
  • How are you all getting your babies to take the bottle? mine is cutting 1 tooth on bottom and has refused his bottle for 2 days. will only eat baby food. pediatrician said do not give him baby food until he takes a bottle...but he's not taking and I'm not going to let him starve.. so how r yall getting teething babies to eat
    No advice, only sympathy. My little chunker has never refused food... probably why she is in the 97% percentile for weight  :o

Hopefully someone else will help!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    No advice, only sympathy. My little chunker has never refused food... probably why she is in the 97% percentile for weight  :o

Hopefully someone else will help!!

Freeze the bottle nipple then feed.  Babies don't like to suck while cutting teeth cause it hurts.  The frozen nipple should numb and soothe enough to eat.
  • We have the munch mit. She loves it! 
  • Ugh. The teething fairy has arrived at our home. LO used to munch on his hands endlessly, but now he's just crying on and off and munching on toys and kicking and whining. It hurts me to see him suffering. Tylenol doesn't help
  • When lo gets too frustrated abiut her newly forming teeth to eat I give her a piece of frozen mango in a fresh feeder bag from munchkin. She really loves it. It stays cool for much longer than berries do and she can smash most of the mango chunk through the mesh. When she's done with the mango I put her right on the breast and she eats great. I think having frozen gums helps her suck easier. 
  • khenry12 said:
    When lo gets too frustrated abiut her newly forming teeth to eat I give her a piece of frozen mango in a fresh feeder bag from munchkin. She really loves it. It stays cool for much longer than berries do and she can smash most of the mango chunk through the mesh. When she's done with the mango I put her right on the breast and she eats great. I think having frozen gums helps her suck easier. 
     I'm gonna keep this in mind especially cause mango helps with tummy issues that can be causes for swallowing all that extra drool.
  • Damien's two bottom teeth are coming in and it feels like they are taking fooooorever. They've broken through the surface but I'm wondering how long they will take to fully come in? He's been wonderful about them thus far, no change in mood or behaviour.
  • Once the gums look like this, how long before it came out and the discomfort went away.  I couldn't get a picture of Preston's but it looks basically exactly like this. 

• It took about 3 days for Damien's to poke through after that point. He never went through teething fussiness this round so I don't know about that.
  • I always thought that teething pain only came before the teeth broke the surface, but Jackie was just slightly fussier before her two bottoms broke through. Once they broke through it was about a week of extreme crankiness and pain, especially at night.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'm sure it's also leap related and the novelty of standing doesn't help, but we've noticed he is fussy but not cranky.  Keeps trying to chew his hand and can't seem to self soothe which has affected his ability to take naps or go to bed.
  • khenry12khenry12 member
    edited February 2017
    We are using Balm baby teething oil. It calms her right away if she has gum pain. I tried it and aside from it tasting gross it really does numb the gums. It's clove and catnip oils super diluted and one drop smeared on her bottom gums usually does the trick for a while. 

ETA link:
    https://www.amazon.com/BALM-Baby-Teething-Natural-Cruelty/dp/B00N3FYHA8
  • Anyone notice if the top teeth are worse than the bottom?  Preston barely batted an eye for the bottom teeth minus a ton of chewing and drooling, but I think a top one in coming and yesterday he was super fussy, chewing, drooling, high fever, clingy and is waking up at night.  Thankfully the Motrin helped him sleep.
  • adiaz132003  YESSS!!!! Its waking him up at night which is very unusual for him. He just wants to cuddle and goes back to sleep but last night he woke up 3 times. Hes been fussing and clingy during the day too. I can see them riiiight about to break through. I wish they would just do it already!

• I'm lucky that Savannah doesn't get cranky over teething, but her top teeth are coming on and she is clamping down on me :s

My right nipple has actually started bleeding a tiny bit. I keep correcting her Latch but god it hurts when she bites! 
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • So went to the Dr cause his temp was high still. 3 teeth coming at once, an ear infection and a bad scabbing diaper rash. When it rains, it pours...
  • So went to the Dr cause his temp was high still. 3 teeth coming at once, an ear infection and a bad scabbing diaper rash. When it rains, it pours...
    Ugh, poor baby. And poor mama. Good catch on the doctor visit. Cuddle that baby and relax after that
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
    Oh no! Good thing you went!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I think Damien has a top tooth coming in. The skin is broken in a small area but it isn't a top front spot. He could have injured it but I'm really not sure. Either way, he has been very unhappy today. Sorry for the bad pic, it's the best I could do.

• I think Damien has a top tooth coming in. The skin is broken in a small area but it isn't a top front spot. He could have injured it but I'm really not sure. Either way, he has been very unhappy today. Sorry for the bad pic, it's the best I could do.

That's how Preston's looked. It comes down more from the front rather than the bottom of the gum.

That's how Preston's looked. It comes down more from the front rather than the bottom of the gum.
    Good to know! Do you recall how long it took to breach the gumline?

Good to know! Do you recall how long it took to breach the gumline?
     Ugh felt like forever!!! From that point I'd say a week and a half until the whole bottom of the tooth was out.  When it looked like that it was like 4-5 days until it started to show the "line" of where the tooth would emerge, then it sat just under the gums for a few days which were the worst.  Once the middle of the tooth broke through it was like 2 days and that was the easy part.  So far, for each of his teeth, the point right before you see the "line" was the worst of it then it got gradually got better until it broke through.  

This is the "line" I keep mentioning. Obviously a bottom tooth but it's the best I could find. Lol idk how else to discribe it.

• At one point it looked like this (on the left) and then it got better soon after it broke through.

• Awesome detail and examples to boot! His bottom teeeth didn't cause any problems but I had a feeling his top ones would. Super fun! Poor kiddo.
  • Yesterday was a rough teething day, which may explain why he slept until nearly 9am today. I'm grateful for being able to sleep in but hope today is better for him.
  • I know this has been mentioned in the past, but is anyone currently using the Amber teething necklace?  Curious on getting feedback. 
  • I know this has been mentioned in the past, but is anyone currently using the Amber teething necklace?  Curious on getting feedback. 
    My SIL used it and swore by it. But TBH as a nurse I just cannot get behind it.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
    I'm just sticking with teething toys from the freezer and Tylenol if he absolutely needs it. We have homeopathic orajel but I haven't given any to him. 
    My SIL used it and swore by it. But TBH as a nurse I just cannot get behind it.
    Yes I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a necklace on a baby. Seems like a major hazard. Ethan likes to yank his bibs off so I don't think a necklace is a good idea. I've heard of mom's wrapping it around babies wrist/ankle though. 
  • My LO top teeth are coming down and she is just miserable and cranky. She had a 103 fever on Tues which finally broke Wednesday morning but now she drinks maybe 14 oz a day, she doesn't want anything near her mouth, so all we can do is give her motrin and rock her in our arms. Poor little girl, she has such a rough time with teething.
  • edited March 2017
    celticlor said:
    My LO top teeth are coming down and she is just miserable and cranky. She had a 103 fever on Tues which finally broke Wednesday morning but now she drinks maybe 14 oz a day, she doesn't want anything near her mouth, so all we can do is give her motrin and rock her in our arms. Poor little girl, she has such a rough time with teething.
    Damien has a hard time with bottles on some days. He has a top one coming in too. A cold nipple helps sometimes but I've also used a spoon since that method of eating seems okay to him. Just takes a lot longer using that method. 

Edit: I wanted to add that, while probably frowned upon, on days when his mouth hurts too much for a bottle, I also give him extra puree so his tummy feels fuller and at least I know he is getting some nutrition.
  • adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited May 2017

So I found these awesome teething rings!!! I had the teething necklace but it's too long for him to go carry it around but these not only have the silicone beads but the wooden rings too!  O got one for Preston and one as a baby shower gift.  So cute!!!!

Here's a link if you wanna snag some, looks like a fairly new store.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/kristazaradesigns

Eta: they also have pacifier clips with the beads!