July 2017 Moms
Options

Condescending Crap People Say to You ...

124»

Re: Condescending Crap People Say to You ...

• Options
    mrs35  When my sister had her first, all she could keep down was bagels ... for months.  Thankfully no one chastised her for it.

My new one is when we announced, a few people said "finally!"  Really?!  I'm 28 (almost 29) and DH just turned 31.  I don't get it?!  Is there something wrong with waiting until you're really ready?  Should my child have been an accident? I spent 12 years on BC to avoid having children and even when I went off, we used condoms and I tracked my ovulation in order to NOT get pregnant before we wanted to.  We took a 3 week long road trip at the end of the summer to see our beautiful country and I wanted to be able to enjoy it and drink.  When we got home, we got down to business lol!  

It was important for me personally, to be married (5 years ago) and own a house before I had kids.  When we first got married, I thought I would want kids sooner than we planned but now, I'm so thankful that we waited.  I don't think I would have been ready any other time.  Don't get me wrong, accidents happen and it could have happened to me and in that case, you just gotta roll with it!  Haha!  But I just don't think 28 is ... old to have a child lol! 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    I completely understand wanting to keep names to yourself. I think we're planning on keeping our name ideas quiet, too. I made the mistake of mentioning that we were trying to conceive to my mom and best friend, and I really regretted it. I'm thin and a long distance runner and was told over and over how I would neve get pregnant at my current weight and while running. We conceived two weeks after I ran a marathon, and I weighed 104 lbs. I ended up telling them to back off because I couldn't take it anymore. Now, im pretty nervous to share our news!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend who had a baby recently said to me, "I hated when people told me this, haha, but sleep now because you won't sleep when you have that baby!"

Like, that's not how sleep works. And I'm not exactly out until 2 AM every night partying it up in anticipation of the baby. I'm in bed by 7:30 so I don't throw up!
  • Options
    My mother has made comments before like "I don't know why people have babies just to have someone else raise them." Regarding day care. Well, mother, unless you have a couple thousand dollars/month to supplement our income, then your grandchild will be in daycare. She made a horrible face when I told her my child will be in daycare after maternity leave. I work mainly from
    home so she had asked what will happen when I go back to work. Did she really expect me to keep up with an infant/toddler/preschooler while I'm working?? 
    I HATE when people imply that daycares raise children. Nope nope nope. I'm still the parent. 
  • Options
    @stokesm21 Good grief I can't believe people are saying that to you.  I was 28 when I had DD last year and I felt like I was the first of my friends and cousins around my age to have a kid.  You're not even 30, geez!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @stokesm21 Good grief I can't believe people are saying that to you.  I was 28 when I had DD last year and I felt like I was the first of my friends and cousins around my age to have a kid.  You're not even 30, geez!
    That was me in 2013. My mom was acting like my ovaries would shrivel up and disappear if I didn't have children soon, though.