July 2017 Moms
Options

Condescending Crap People Say to You ...

Re: Condescending Crap People Say to You ...

• Options
    My favorite other than "just wait" is "Are you sure you want to eat that?" and "She's eating for two, give her more." 
  • Options
    Mine favorite is "you're young everything will be fine!" Or if "if it doesn't work out, there's always time" I know its meant to make me worry less. However, yes I am young, but I also had to go through IVF to become pregnant. So I don't just assume everything will be fine anymore. And it makes me feel like my worries aren't valid. When I told people at work I was going through IVF they kind of looked at me like I was crazy. Like what's the big rush? I'm 28 and the youngest in my department. They just don't get how big of a deal this is considering the almost 2 years of TTC and $20K (plus the obvious emotional investment) is considered in this pregnancy. They just think that I have a lot of time left to start a family so why bother with it all right now.

I also hate the "you can just adopt if it doesn't work out" but that's a whole other rant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh man, I'm not looking forward to the belly touching. DH did it yesterday and I looked at him and said "That's not a baby, that's bloat." and walked away...

Of course I'm a teacher so I'm sure I'll have little kids all over it.
    Emily
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SNIPPED
    I think I want to be surprised about the sex of our baby and one of my friends keeps saying "we found out because I wanted to plan." Plan for what?? Why make it sound like I'm not planning well for my baby just because I don't want to know the sex ahead of time? Pretty sure all babies need the same planning - just because your planning includes blue for a boy doesn't mean mine has to. 
    Im not sure why it makes her feel less than just to say "we couldn't wait. I wanted to know the sex right away." That's a perfectly reasonable thing. 
    @ginger1228

To the bold - EXACTLY! DH and I are not wanting to find out the sex and we're still planning. We're jut getting items that could work whether it's a boy or a girl.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am dreading telling certain members of my family because of how condescending I know they'll be... I previously mentioned being on TTGP to one and how amazing and helpful and supportive a community it was and my family member replied with "why would you do that? MH and I just had sex for two months. Don't ruin your life trying so hard." .... UGH. 
    Me: 28 I MH: 27
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Dcwtada said:
    @LoveLee85 I agree - if you don't want to know perfect but I do hate how people think you are impatient or ruining the surprise. All I know is once I find out the sex it becomes so real and I can bond much more - I know the baby is cooking but I begin to dream a little more vividly. Meeting my baby is the best thing in the world - it is such a beautiful and amazing moment anything else doesn't matter let alone a surprise. 
    This exactly!!! To me, I connect more with baby while he/she is baking. I just remember how much flack I got for finding out at 20 weeks! It pissed me off. I had people ask me months ago, when we have another, since we already have baby stuff, we need to wait because it's better. Umm sorry you feel that way. NOTHING can make the moment I met my son better in my eyes. We will be finding out again at 20 weeks. Wouldn't do it any other way. 
  • Options
    I personally can't wait. But when I was waiting to be admitted, this guy ran into the waiting room and announced to his family "it's a girl!!!" and I remember thinking how special that must have felt. Made me reconsider knowing this time around. But yeah I can't wait. If I could know now it wouldn't be too soon! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am not looking forward to telling my in laws because I already know they are going to go on and on about how we will be "real parents". According to them you aren't a real parent until you have at least 2 kids it is so annoying...
  • Options
    @GlitterFish I see a bathroom play date in our future. You bring the kitkats and I will bring the spongebob videos and lack of integrity 
  • Options
    @Dcwtada Thank you! you are my spirit animal lol
  • Options
    @Dcwtada and all of you ladies - you're so awesome !! I'm so glad to be part of this group! 

• Options
    Ok ladies - you all rock!!  The last few posts have lifted my spirits this monday - since i wasn't ready to work yet!!
    * TW *
    Me: 34  DH:38 (Married Sept 2014)
    TTC since May 2015
    IUI #1: July 2016 - BFN
    IUI #2: August 2016 - BFN
    IVF #1: Stims 10/21/16, ER 11/02/2016 (5 follies, 5 fert),
                ET 11/07/2016 (2 blast xfer, 3 frosties)
                BFP 11/11/2-16!! (4dp5dt) Beta #1 (7dp5dt) = 30  Beta #2 (9dp5dt) = 66  Beta #3 (11dp5dt) = 130

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Dcwtada said:
    Frankly I want a group of real moms with all the problems and telling it like it is over a bunch of moms trying to pretend they are perfect. I want to be friends with the mom that locks herself in the bathroom binge eating KitKats while the kids watch spongebob not the mom throwing a Pinterest birthday party with organic free-range gummy worms and conflict free personalized fleece blankets. 
    THIS. After an already blah Monday (including what I think might be the beginning of ms) this made my day. Can I get an invite to the bathroom party if I bring some wine?
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    @Dcwtada thank you!!!! you're so right. I'm definitely that mom that drinks a bottle of sparkling wine every Friday (maybe Saturday, too) while trying to just put my kids to bed for a bit of silence. and kitkat are my fave!!!!! thanks for making me feel better :)
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    plumpousplumpous member
    edited November 2016
    I hate how some of my mom friends like to tell me how I should just wait for my kid to have an ear infection or stops being a good girl. Thanks for wishing me hell!?
    One of my friends keeps saying oh I remember when my daughter was your kid's age and it was so easy and she was so convenient and now she's so much trouble. Just wait, yours will turn too. And she's like, it's better if you guys come over because your place isn't baby proofed enough. 
    Well, my daughter has access to the on/off button of our computer and I taught her not to go there. Proofing should not replace discipline. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Dcwtada said
     I want to be friends with the mom that locks herself in the bathroom binge eating KitKats while the kids watch spongebob not the mom throwing a Pinterest birthday party with organic free-range gummy worms and conflict free personalized fleece blankets. 
    1. I like you
    2. I suddenly want a kit kat and non organic, GMO filled whatever the opposite of free range gummy worm is
  • Options
    @stokesm21 I'm a little late to the party here, but I wanted to tell you that being pregnant was the most exhausted I've ever been. I know everyone is different, but for me those last few months I was basically a zombie.

Sure, the newborn months are rough, and completely exhausting. BUT, my body was not growing and carrying a human inside of it, so while I was getting up 5x a night with baby, I wasn't nearly as exhausted the next morning as I was when baby was still cooking.

You will amaze yourself with how adaptable you'll become. I cannot overstate the power of 4 consecutive hours of sleep, a cup of coffee, and sitting in the morning sun. Sounds sappy, I know, but it's the small things you'll find bring you the most joy those first few months!
  • Options
    So I went to the maternity store to get a couple of pairs of pants on sale (I'm super bloated and none of my jeans button comfortably).  The sales lady asked when I was due...when I said July she said "you're not really that pregnant yet!".  I wasn't aware that there was a "grey" area in pregnancy...so I guess I am just "sort of" pregnant atm.  It didn't help all of my fears of mc - since I am painfully aware that I am not "out of the woods"...
    * TW *
    TTC since May 2015
                BFP 11/11/2-16!! (4dp5dt) Beta #1 (7dp5dt) = 30  Beta #2 (9dp5dt) = 66  Beta #3 (11dp5dt) = 130

• Options
    So I went to the maternity store to get a couple of pairs of pants on sale (I'm super bloated and none of my jeans button comfortably).  The sales lady asked when I was due...when I said July she said "you're not really that pregnant yet!".  I wasn't aware that there was a "grey" area in pregnancy...so I guess I am just "sort of" pregnant atm.  It didn't help all of my fears of mc - since I am painfully aware that I am not "out of the woods"...
    Wtf?!? Sounds like she's never been pregnant. I felt like something like this was going to happen when I went in this week. But she was so nice thank goodness or id probably never go in again. 
  • Options
    I have another one - we told my in-laws last weekend, and my MIL made a comment about how "we need to watch what you eat" (in reference to deli meat, etc). Ummmmm, not really, I've done this before and I'm 39 years old! I got this  :#
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my son I went to shop for maternity clothes. I wasn't sure if TJMax carried them. So I asked a girl working in the store. She told me know and suggested the plus size section 
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    kassyfry said:
    When I was pregnant with my son I went to shop for maternity clothes. I wasn't sure if TJMax carried them. So I asked a girl working in the store. She told me know and suggested the plus size section 
    Because it's the same thing!  :s:D
  • Options
    @BoTor091314

WHAT THE EVER LOVING HECK?!? I would have had to bite my tongue so hard to not go off on her. I had someone tell me that I wasn't really pregnant because I haven't had the baby yet. Ummmm what?
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Basically everyyyyone we tell asks us "was it planned?" 

Ummm... wut?!  I hate this question on so many levels.  

I am a 33 year old married woman with a toddler and a stable job. What part of this situation makes you think, a) my family planning is your business, or b) I don't know how procreation works/how to manipulate it?

I genuinely don't know what people want to hear when they ask this. My best answer so far has been, "Well I wasn't asleep!"
    Honestly I didn't really plan. I too, know how to not get pregnant, but I think we were on the fence and just threw caution to the wind. And then DH said he changed his mind and we should be careful again. And I said I was late. Oy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2016
    plumpous said:
    Basically everyyyyone we tell asks us "was it planned?" 

Ummm... wut?!  I hate this question on so many levels.  

I am a 33 year old married woman with a toddler and a stable job. What part of this situation makes you think, a) my family planning is your business, or b) I don't know how procreation works/how to manipulate it?

I genuinely don't know what people want to hear when they ask this. My best answer so far has been, "Well I wasn't asleep!"
    Honestly I didn't really plan. I too, know how to not get pregnant, but I think we were on the fence and just threw caution to the wind. And then DH said he changed his mind and we should be careful again. And I said I was late. Oy. 
    So was it planned, then? ;) 

Same situation here. (Though we were going to try actively in January.) Not that it's anyone's business.

This is yet another reason I hate this question. 
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 like half planned? I think we sorta thought one time won't stick. I mean we should not be surprised but I guess we were in denial. I don't know, it somehow still caught us off guard. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kassyfry said:
    Because it's the same thing!  :s:D
    I can't tell if you are joking. But it's not. 
  • Options
    Reading this thread makes me really glad that I am basically a recluse these days. People are the worst!!!
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    My mother "WOW!  You've really gotten big!"

Me "Thanks, I've lost 6 pounds..."
    * TW *
    TTC since May 2015

• Options
    @plumpous Kind of in the same boat. Neither one of us tolerates birth control well (from a latex allergy to sensitive skin to my sensitivity to hormones) so we've been "family planning" and while we're married and we knew that it was a possibility, we weren't exactly planning on getting pregnant right now. And apparently we're super fertile or something because the one month we threw caution to the wind and didn't pay super close attention to my cycle, well... here I am! It's ok though, we're both happy we have a little bean on the way. It just was so not the plan lol. 
    So as for the condescending crap, I had a pregnant friend basically tell me that I shouldn't have told her so early because I might lose the baby and she's still terrified at 24+ weeks. Sigh. I kind of thought she would be sympathetic and a good person to talk to, but that comment turned me right off. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)