UO Thursday 11/17

bergberg member
edited November 2016 in June 2017 Moms
Let's hear 'em!

Re: UO Thursday 11/17

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:
    My UO is that I don't like polls for baby names.  I know someone posted one today and there is also an entire board for baby names where people discuss it, but I genuinely don't give 2 flying fs what internet strangers think about potential baby names for my kids (or what names others are deciding between).  I care what DH thinks and I care what I think.  No one else.  That said, I know so many love discussing and "voting' on a name, but meh... not for me.
    This!!  I don't get the polls either.  If 12 internet strangers say they don't like your names, will you go back to the drawing board?  Sorry honey we need to start from scratch.

My UO was touched upon by @delujm0.  I hate names with 'unique' spelling.  You want your kid to be Karissa with a C that's cool because K and C make the same sound.  But not all letters interchange so easily.  Y and i for instance or just swapping vowels around all willy nilly.  Iryn or Arin isn't Erin.  Drives me batty. 
  • Options
    I think Christmas Cards are a waste of money and I don't send them.  Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy recieving and hanging them up for a couple weeks but then they all go in the trash.  I know this makes Me sound like a total Scrooge but I actually love Christmas and other holiday traditions.  I still get family pictures done and give prints to my close family that actually wants one but everyone else can see them on Facebook.  I don't get paying for something, spending the time and money on postage for someone to throw it away! I just can't do it.  

I also don't get asking strangers to vote on your baby names.  Unless it's something really horrible and younique.  Then I enjoy reading the shit show that follows lol.  

I second not understanding changing the spelling of a normal name.  Why make your child's life difficult?? My real name is Jessica so totally normal but for some reason my mom spelled Jessy with a y and it stuck.  So I am always correcting people from an "ie" ending.  I guess that's not that odd compared to the things some people do.  

I dont get naming your kid something then using or going by their middle name on purpose.  Why not Just name them that?? I know some
    are to honor family but they don't want to use the name I guess.  Just seems like another thing the kid will have to always correct! 
  • Options
    +1 for ridiculous baby name polls. Go to the name board if you need opinions. 

@Knottie42089123 It is annoying but I am guilty of using the term. Some days I just want to be a big fat lazy loser and do nothing.
  • Options
    I do not like when someone writes "I usually don't post this!" Or "I usually don't post about" on FB. So what? It doesn't give you any more or less of a right to say it. Just say it and move on. I feel like people say it to humble themselves and make it ok to do something they normally don't agree with. Being humble is a trait people notice about you, you don't tell people you are humble, it kind of negates the whole humble thing all together. 
  • Options
    I'm meh on spelling, probably because I've saddled my kid with a uniquely-spelled, unisex name. It really hasn't presented much issue at all, I don't mind correcting people, though I really don't ever correct anyone. She gets invites with her name incorrect all the time, it doesn't bother us. Ironically, they also tend to misspell the traditional version.

DD's name is Camrynn (other DDs are Kinley and Ella). My sib sets don't match at all either. Oh well.
  • Options
     @Assiram42 I think we may have touched on this before, but I am right there with you!  I have a Kaiden and yeah I have to spell it when making him appointments and stuff but it doesn't bother me.  I gave Cora an easy name so it balances out right?   ;)
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Options
    Mine is going to be really unpopular. I don't like alcohol and I don't drink. I've never even had wine. 
  • Options
    @kassyfryblasphemy!!!

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    kassyfry said:
    Mine is going to be really unpopular. I don't like alcohol and I don't drink. I've never even had wine. 
    I'm with you on wine, but bloody Mary's, margaritas or cider beer? We can't be friends.
  • Options
    I only shave my armpits, and I only even still shave them because I'm so used to it. I don't understand why body hair is gross on women and normal for men.

to be fair though, I didn't stop shaving other parts of my body as some sort of feminist display. I have a skin condition that makes shaving extremely painful. Even with brand new nice razors I get horrible razor burn and ingrown hairs, and t only got worse after having my daughter. 

I also don't shower daily due to the same skin condition, and don't get why that's so gross in America.
  • Options
    kfry22kfry22 member
    edited November 2016
    Assiram42 said:
    kassyfry said:
    I'm with you on wine, but bloody Mary's, margaritas or cider beer? We can't be friends.
    Nope. Never had any of that either. I tried some mixed drinks, rum and coke, hard ciders, Smirnoff, etc. in college and didn't like any of it. 

Edited because I typed moxied drinks somehow 
  • Options
    kassyfry said:

• Options
    @hjphillips that skin condition sounds terrible :( I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I'd totally quit shaving if I were you also. I've honestly considered giving up my regular shaving routine because I get a lot of ingrown hairs and those ingrown hairs all to often get infected. I just get tired of dealing with it. Plus I keep hearing it's basically impossible to shave anything below the waist later in pregnancy so I figure I might as well get used to that now. I still haven't quite talked myself into giving it a go. But good on you for doing what is right for you and not trying to keep up with stupid societal rules. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @NamelessAria I kept up with the shaving all through high school even though it was extremely uncomfortable for me. Finally at one visit to my dermatologist I just point blank asked him what I could do to ease the discomfort and he said "I can't suggest waxing because you're so prone to ingrown hairs, so my suggestion is to stop shaving."

It was hard but over time it's actually really liberating to not care what others think. I spend enough time in the shower exfoliating because my skin doesn't shed on it's own, so it's nice to not have to worry about shaving. 
  • Options
    @hjphillips The interesting thing about the societal norm of shaving is when you DO shave and you try to explain to your daughter why we do it. And why she can't do it yet. There is no good answer for either question! I don't know if I could or want to stop because I like the feeling of smooth legs, and I don't like the look of hairy legs (I'm sure this is a societal thing that made me feel this way, but nonetheless, it worked on me and I am not a fan) but I legitimately have no idea how to explain it to my daughter without essentially telling her she isn't good enough exactly as she is.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    @NamelessAria for what it's worth, I was able to shave without issue straight up until delivery.  In fact, when I went into labor with DS I hopped in the shower for some pain relief and figured "ah what hell... might as well shave while I'm in here".   I think a lot depends on the woman (eg how her body responds to pregnancy and how mobility/flexibility might change).    
  • Options
    @JAGinMI I've tried a lot of times to think about how to explain to my daughter why some people shave and I don't. I think the fact that her father shaves his legs will help (it's a habit left over from his days as a swimmer. It's sad that I feel like I have to explain so judgement will be withheld from him.)

I'll probably explain when she's young that it's really just as simple as some people liking to have smooth legs and that I don't like the process of shaving, and that her leg and underarm hair isn't thick enough to shave yet, but if she wants to shave when she gets older I'll teach her how. As she gets older a history lesson of why shaving started might be in order, and a lesson of how media and social pressure can make us feel lesser even though we're perfect just how we are. 

I know that it's touchy. My mother told me when I was 10 that it was time to start shaving and bought me a razor. Didn't teach me how to use it. My best friend's mother told her that she didn't have to shave but that some people liked to, and she never started shaving and most people don't even notice. I think that a lot of it is what we tell our children about society's expectations, the media, and their bodies matters a lot. 

I know my friend's mom kept her from shaving by telling her it was a lot of work and she could cut her legs a lot so she wanted her to wait until she was older and more patient, and by the point that her mother was comfortable with the idea of her shaving, my friend just wasn't interested. 
  • Options
    Beer tastes like piss.  There I said it.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options
    kdanjou said:
    Beer tastes like piss.  There I said it.
    I'm with you. I dislike wine too. I wish I didn't, but I just can't drink either one. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    Here's a loss momma type of UO: I like to see ultrasound pics here and I even posted mine, but I don't like to see them on facebook. You just don't know who that picture might be hurting. When it took me 13 months of struggling to conceive after my loss, those things destroyed me. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    LAMCH1980 said:
    Here's a loss momma type of UO: I like to see ultrasound pics here and I even posted mine, but I don't like to see them on facebook. You just don't know who that picture might be hurting. When it took me 13 months of struggling to conceive after my loss, those things destroyed me. 
    I understand it can be hurtful to people struggling, but I don't think people shouldn't share their joy. To some, seeing that first ultrasound is a life changing , very happy time of their lives and should be able to share. 

Are you not going to share pics of your baby? Cause people who can never have kids will see them. 

It took my sister 11 years to have her one and only daughter.. 'many losses, IUIs, and two IVFs and she now has her daughter. You better believe she shared every ultrasound and 30 pics a day!! Lol! 

The hardest thing I've gone through in my life is losing my dad unexpectedly. I would never want people to not be able to share dad photos, especially wedding ones. 

• Options
    LAMCH1980 said:
    I don't like to see ultrasound pics on FB because...I mean I don't need to see what my friends (and acquaintances') uteruses look like.  No one saw my ultrasound pictures except for our parents and siblings.  I just think it's really weird to show people a picture of your insides, even if there is a baby in there.  That's probably a good UO actually.  Ha.
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    LAMCH1980 said:
    I understand it can be hurtful to people struggling, but I don't think people shouldn't share their joy. To some, seeing that first ultrasound is a life changing , very happy time of their lives and should be able to share. 

Are you not going to share pics of your baby? Cause people who can never have kids will see them. 

It took my sister 11 years to have her one and only daughter.. 'many losses, IUIs, and two IVFs and she now has her daughter. You better believe she shared every ultrasound and 30 pics a day!! Lol! 

The hardest thing I've gone through in my life is losing my dad unexpectedly. I would never want people to not be able to share dad photos, especially wedding ones. 

I could have wrote your response. I couldn't agree more.  Literally everything we ever post could upset someone we know in some way. The dad example is great. I am so sad that my dad is not here to be a grandpa to my kids and so it's sad for me sometimes to see pics of grandpas with their grandkids (nevermind how hard it is to see them interact in person!) but it definitely doesn't mean I think people shouldn't share!

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    I understand what you're all saying. There's something personal about the ultrasound picture that gets me because it was the last thing I saw when my baby died. I remember staring at that screen, frantically looking for a heartbeat. I remember they printed one out before they knew what happened and after the news, they asked if I still wanted the picture.  Because of that, I'd rather see other announcements or actual baby pics. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    I don't like Thanksgiving. It's two days of nonstop cooking (we do everything from scratch) for 30 minutes of eating. On top of that, I don't like turkey.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    kahlan82 said:
    I don't like Thanksgiving. It's two days of nonstop cooking (we do everything from scratch) for 30 minutes of eating. On top of that, I don't like turkey.
    I'm so with you! I have a horrible dislike for turkey too. 
  • Options
    I don't like turkey either and I'm bringing a baked ham to Thanksgivng lol.  
  • Options
    I don't like turkey either and I thought I was alone!!! I am also having a ham at my thanksgiving thank god! My grandma one year made me a pot roast (my absolute favorite food) best thanksgiving ever!!!
    Me: 22 DH: 27
    BFP: 9/29