May 2017 Moms

Telling Extended Family

We are thinking about announcing on FB next week, but haven't told our aunts or uncles yet. Last time we sent out a family email, but DH's grandma asked him to call everyone. So I'm second guessing the email thing this time. How did you tell extended family? 
May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

Re: Telling Extended Family

• We also have big extended families. We told the ones we are close to in person or over the phone and everyone else, I feel comfortable with finding out on Facebook. I think an email would be sufficient for the family you aren't as close to.
  • Loading the player...
  • we told our parents and siblings in person and over phone for those long distant ones. We had a death in the family a few weeks ago. At the funeral, my aunt asked when I was having a girl. (I hate that question.) I straight up told her that we weren't finding out but the baby would be here in April. She felt guilty for putting me on the spot, and I'm glad she felt bad. That spread the word to my aunts and uncles on my mom's side. For even more extended family, we will let Facebook and word of mouth do the job.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• I'm just showing up to Christmas wearing this and hoping I have a bump big enough to fill it in. (Currently nothing)

I live over seas so phone calls aren't an option. I'm super close with my dads family and all in Chicago so they'll be together at Christmas.  Since I wasn't able to tell either sides immediate family in person, I want to tell my extended family in person.  My moms family are all over the country so I'll probably send them a photo before we talk on Christmas morning. 
    I don't intend to put anything on fb at this time. 

TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • I texted a picture to my mom's side who I am all very close with. We have a family chain with my aunt's and several cousins so that was the easiest way. For MH's extended family, they all found out via our Facebook post. 
  • If you have been requested to make a phone call, you ought to make a phone call. Phone is better safe than sorry. Also remember that relative types (i.e. gen X and older people) often don't use/check facebook that much. It sucks to find out last and to feel like you're finding out after random high school acquaintances on fb.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Last time we told our relatives that live close by in person or via phone call, I'm the only one with living grandparents but both live a decent distance away so I phoned/emailed as well and everyone else found out on Facebook.
    This time DH told his family way earlier than my comfort zone and I keep running into situations where my in-laws told random people and distant cousins and it's incredibly awkward. Now I'm suffering from some serious "Second Pregnancy Syndrome" and don't know when I'll do the big announcement as every time I call my grandpa I don't bring up the pregnancy, making it wrong for me to post anything yet...so who knows...people might not find out about this pregnancy until I'm labor.
  • ..so who knows...people might not find out about this pregnancy until I'm labor.
    I didn't do anything on facebook about my second until she was born. Told everyone else the old fashioned way. That is better, IMO, than preempting "important" people (i.e. important people and family who consider themselves important) with a mass facebook announcement.

• We told both of our sets of parents a while back. For our siblings and close friends, we either told them in person or called. We just gave our parents the go ahead to tell people, as well, so they're spreading the news to their brothers and sisters (our aunts and uncles). We're keeping the pregnancy off Facebook, so any other extended family (like cousins) will either find out through the family chain or during the holidays. 
  • With our first, extended family found out when we announced on FB. This time (for my family at least), I am announcing at Thanksgiving so my parents and extended family will find out at the same time and in person. 
  • I have 28 first cousins who each have 1-5 kids each.  I think my family just assumes everyone is always pregnant.  We tend to just tell people as we see them or find out on Facebook.  Since it's not really a huge deal we don't do anything grand.  I'm also not announcing on Facebook or anything, so I'm sure some more distant relatives won't even know until we show up at a family gathering either super pregnant or with a baby.  My family is very close, but it's hard to keep track of everyone!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Some are getting a text, some are getting a call. I'm telling a lot of one side of the family at a get together this weekend. 
  • My clan is large and we don't live near anyone. We tell our parents who pass everything along although I think that is pretty atypical. I have cousins relatively out of the loop who commented on newborn photos like "hey, didn't know you were pregnant but that's cool". No harm, no foul. 

For most people though I would assume a wider range of calls would be appropriate or a catch all announcement at a big get together. 

May '17 labor memes
  • We call immediate family members and closest friends in person or on the phone. For extended family and some friends, what we did the last time was sent them all a group email. There were just too many to call.

This time, I'm kind of hoping my MIL will just share with everyone at Thanksgiving. We won't be able to be with them this year, but I don't mind if she tells everyone because it spares me being the center of attention. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • We are having 2 Thanksgivings (one with DH side, and one my side), and this is my 2nd so we just got a big brother shirt for DS and he'll wear that to both. First relative to notice him and what it says, wins LOL - Our parents both already know and are sworn to secrecy since we had problems with 2 before this one. I have an appt Wednesday of this week so we'll be confirmed before Thanksgiving and more comfortable telling everyone.
    DS Born 1/12/13 - Molar Pregnancy 3/2014/D&C 3/2015 - EDD with Baby #2 May 26th, 2017

• My clan is large and we don't live near anyone. We tell our parents who pass everything along although I think that is pretty atypical. I have cousins relatively out of the loop who commented on newborn photos like "hey, didn't know you were pregnant but that's cool". No harm, no foul. 

For most people though I would assume a wider range of calls would be appropriate or a catch all announcement at a big get together. 
    This is exactly how my family is. I told my parents and siblings--it's up to them to circulate to the family they live near. We will probably do some kind of Facebook announcement to catch all the people who haven't heard via word of mouth. Or maybe we'll just wait until the baby comes and announce her then, haha... 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kompel2B...a whole thread full of answers.
  • I was going to announce on FB to our friends and my family once we reach the 3rd trimester. Now I think I am just going to wait until baby arrives and post a birth announcement. My plan is to hide the bump over the holidays and just ignore any questions.

I just don't want to deal with the family response and DH doesn't want to tell his at all. He and his family are not really on speaking terms right now so that's fine by me.
  • I let my parents spread the news to my side of the family who they wanted to tell personally. The rest of my family found out on FB. Now, this is pretty normal with our family and I'm fairly certain no one was offended as this is kind of how everyone does it. Pretty much the same with H's family.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry