November 2016 Moms

Weekly Appointments Thread: 11.07 - 11.13

What do you have going on and how did it go?
Married: 08.05.11
Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16

Re: Weekly Appointments Thread: 11.07 - 11.13

• heading for my 38 week appointment this morning. I had some questions on my phone to ask my Dr. but my phone died last night and thus far hasn't been successful in rebooting so I'm hoping to remember some. Nothing big just curious if there is any info like I see others post about with size, fluids, etc or if it is just well the HR is fine and you're measuring good. 

H talked to his dad and step mom last night and his step mom's kids both had boys earlier this year so they know the lingo and kept asking him things about what we know like size, progress, etc and he's just like uhhh they don't say anything they just say it is all good. 
  • My 38 week is on Wednesday (to which I wish they would not weight me, again) and I'm hoping to hear some level of cervix progress because this weekend I had quite a few contractions that had us thinking we might be close to labor (but alas was not).

I also need to remember to ask about being around people with strep (after passing my strep B test) because of all people, my friggin' MIL invites us over and says, "I'm not hugging because I have strep." Right. Because hugs are what spread strep, not just, ya know, being in the same confined space with your contagious self. If I could ban her from the hospital, I would.
  • Loading the player...
  • My 38 week is on Wednesday (to which I wish they would not weight me, again) and I'm hoping to hear some level of cervix progress because this weekend I had quite a few contractions that had us thinking we might be close to labor (but alas was not).

I also need to remember to ask about being around people with strep (after passing my strep B test) because of all people, my friggin' MIL invites us over and says, "I'm not hugging because I have strep." Right. Because hugs are what spread strep, not just, ya know, being in the same confined space with your contagious self. If I could ban her from the hospital, I would.
    Is there a correlation between Group B strep and Strep throat? I've never heard of this if there is. You should stay away from people with strep throat anyways, but I'm not certain that it would be the same strain that causes Group B Strep. 
  • @SandNStarsNJ you can. You don't need to allow anyone in the hospital. Also, if she is sick, they won't let her in anyways.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Just coming from 37 week appt and non stress test. 2cm dilated and having some contractions during non stress test. 38 weeks Friday. Hoping he comes soon.
  • 37 week appointment on Wednesday. Baby was breech at last week's ultrasound and we discussed doing a version. It might be scheduled for this Thursday.
  • no real news at my appointment, Dr said no dilation (last week said 1 cm but it was a different Dr) but said cervix was soft or something like that. She said to do yoga ball and stuff like that to try to jump start labor since I haven't had any contractions or anything; I said well I'm ok if he stays in here til the end and she's like yea but we would tell you to do this stuff at your appointment next week (39) so might as well start now. 
  • I have my 37w appointment on Thursday and really debating if I should push it closer as I am finally starting to feel things are happening. Last appointment I thought I would have my cervix checked but that did not happen. I did not get the GBS swap because I had already tested positive in my early urine sample and they will not retest once positive in the past. I'm getting anxious. Update if I get my appt. pushed up.

Me: 28 <3 DH: 29

#1 DS: 11/24/2016

#2 EDD: 11/15/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @MamaBear1323! I know I could ban her but my SIL delivered at that hospital twice and myself once so she knows the rules, there are no restrictions on visitors (unless they're sick). I am tempted, when DH is out of the room, to beg the nurse to kick people out after a certain amount of time. Like I get that they're excited but I don't need 6 in-laws in the hospital room with me for 12 hours out of the day.
  • You can ask the nurse to say that the policy has changed. I'm actually really happy that the policy at our birth center changed! 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • After a lot of back pain the last 4 days, I went today at 38+2. The doctor did an ultrasound to find baby boy has flipped breech, so they've scheduled a C-section for next Wednesday.
  • Had my 39 week appointment today. Frustrated because I keep getting told I will be checked at the next appointment, only to not be checked at all. And on top of that I am only 2 days away from my due date and doctor wouldn't even begin to discuss induction options. He scheduled me for the 14 and said he would see me in the office then. I honestly feel like this baby is never going to come. 
  • Had my 38+2 yesterday, 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced.. he said if I was 39 weeks he would just send me over to OB and get the party started. But until then  I am bouncing on a yoga ball, and vigorously walking the halls at work offering to transfer patients I would never ordinarily volunteer to transfer etc.. In high hopes this boy comes out this weekend.

SIDENOTE: SURE A HOSPITAL HAS A VISITOR POLICY IN PLACE, BUT YOU AS THE PATIENT HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DECLINE VISITORS AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT TO ENCOURAGE PEACEFUL HEALING..... THEY CANNOT BY LAW MAKE YOU ACCEPT VISITORS. 
  • Had my 37 week appt this morning. Gbs is negative. She checked my cervix and said I'm a "tight 2". I have my 38 week appt next Monday and another ultrasound to check baby's fluid level again since I had an issue last week with it being a little low. In the meantime... we wait. 
  • I got a big fat nothing. Had my 39 week appt today. My cervix is still high and closed. Which is really depressing because all the EPO and nipple stimulation is doing NOTHING. So now it's really just a waiting game.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • eribeau said:
    Had my 39 week appointment today. Frustrated because I keep getting told I will be checked at the next appointment, only to not be checked at all. And on top of that I am only 2 days away from my due date and doctor wouldn't even begin to discuss induction options. He scheduled me for the 14 and said he would see me in the office then. I honestly feel like this baby is never going to come. 
    Honestly, good for your physician. We need more like them. Being checked really means nothing and scheduling an induction when you're only 39 weeks is silly. Discussion in another 2 weeks if baby hasn't come would be appropriate. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got a big fat nothing. Had my 39 week appt today. My cervix is still high and closed. Which is really depressing because all the EPO and nipple stimulation is doing NOTHING. So now it's really just a waiting game.
    OH no.  I am in the same boat. My cervix is not high and closed it's anterior, 80% and 1 cm but it has been that way for over 2 weeks. I am now 40+3 and still nada!  I hope you deliver sooner than 40+3.  I kind of feel like this isn't real and I'm not actually going to get a baby...weird, I know.  I just seems like it's been a joke or something! 
  • SO, I had my 40 week appointment today.  My cervix is the same as it has been the past 4 appointments.  It's open and anterior but I am just not dilating any more than 1 cm.  So had the membrane sweep today. 
    Do not fear the sweep!  Yes, it's crazy uncomfortable but just prepare yourself for that.  I would recommend bringing someone with you to hold your hand so you squeeze that and not your legs or pelvis.  Breath nicely with it and it's no biggie.  I've had IV's that were worse.  There is no burning pain or shooting pain or stinging just uncomfortable pressure that you want to resist.  But resisting is what makes it worse. 
    Honestly, the worst part was not the doctor's finger sweeping around (10xs btw) but her other knuckles digging in trying to allow her finger to reach in the cervix. I think if you have someone with longer fingers it won't be so bad! ha! 
    Anyway, no real changes here after the sweep. :neutral: Mild cramping that doesn't even warrant a tylenol. 
    Next step would be induction...i have not wanted that at all.  They are willing to wait until i am almost 42 weeks b/f they would want to induce (pending ultra sound of baby looks good at 41 weeks). 
    Anyone else ever been induced?  I'm wondering if it isn't better to just go in and get induced and hooked up to an epidural? 
  • @Jessieb63 with DD my water broke nuti never started to have contractions, so they had to induce with pitocin. The contractions are intense and exhausting. I didn't get an epidural, but I think labor would go quicker with the epi because you'd be ale to rest and relax, versus being tense and tired and in pain the entire time. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • 37 week appointment.  Still high. Closed. And pointed to the back. This is my 4th and idk why i thought she'd just slide right out. All 3 b4 i was at a 3 right now. Had them at 39. Got an ultrasound.  Everything looks great. Not a one contraction cramp or leak lol. I'm getting so antsy. Getting to that point where I cant pee or sleep or eat or poop or breathe or sit. Im ready! Come on SUPERMOON!
  • atcwag said:
    eribeau said:
    Had my 39 week appointment today. Frustrated because I keep getting told I will be checked at the next appointment, only to not be checked at all. And on top of that I am only 2 days away from my due date and doctor wouldn't even begin to discuss induction options. He scheduled me for the 14 and said he would see me in the office then. I honestly feel like this baby is never going to come. 
    Honestly, good for your physician. We need more like them. Being checked really means nothing and scheduling an induction when you're only 39 weeks is silly. Discussion in another 2 weeks if baby hasn't come would be appropriate. 
    I agree with @atcwag  
    I asked my doctor if they would start checking if I was dilated at my 37 week appointment. He told me he try's not to do so as much as possible unless medically necessary to avoid any infections. Also doesn't really mean much until you're actually in labor. Would love to know as well just to have some piece of mind that things are actually happening.. But I couldn't argue with that! 
  • Jessieb63 said:
    SO, I had my 40 week appointment today.  My cervix is the same as it has been the past 4 appointments.  It's open and anterior but I am just not dilating any more than 1 cm.  So had the membrane sweep today. 
    Do not fear the sweep!  Yes, it's crazy uncomfortable but just prepare yourself for that.  I would recommend bringing someone with you to hold your hand so you squeeze that and not your legs or pelvis.  Breath nicely with it and it's no biggie.  I've had IV's that were worse.  There is no burning pain or shooting pain or stinging just uncomfortable pressure that you want to resist.  But resisting is what makes it worse. 
    Honestly, the worst part was not the doctor's finger sweeping around (10xs btw) but her other knuckles digging in trying to allow her finger to reach in the cervix. I think if you have someone with longer fingers it won't be so bad! ha! 
    Anyway, no real changes here after the sweep. :neutral: Mild cramping that doesn't even warrant a tylenol. 
    Next step would be induction...i have not wanted that at all.  They are willing to wait until i am almost 42 weeks b/f they would want to induce (pending ultra sound of baby looks good at 41 weeks). 
    Anyone else ever been induced?  I'm wondering if it isn't better to just go in and get induced and hooked up to an epidural? 
    I was induced with DS on my EDD for medical reasons. I wouldn't wish it on my enemy. Right off the bat, I had extremely strong and long contractions with little to no break in between. I got an epi which I didn't want, baby went into distress, etc etc. It was clear that he just wasn't ready yet. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • eribeaueribeau member
    edited November 2016
    It's frustrating because even his nurses are saying he checks everyone starting at 38 weeks and its strange he didn't check me. I'm literally at 40 weeks today. It was 2 days. Wouldn't have changed much to talk about induction now even if it was scheduled around the 16 when it probably will be anyways. 
    Edit: spelling. 
  • So my appointment went, differently. The doctor is thinking my ever increasing weight might be an increase in fluids, which garnered a slew of blood test. So that's just great. 

And I'm still - for the 3rd week in a row - dilated one cm with no sign of him dropping. 

I'm feeling super negative today. 
  • @SandNStarsNJ What do you mean an increase in fluids? Like you're retaining water? Or amniotic fluid? Hopefully it's nothing serious!
  • I had my 36 week appt yesterday although I'm 37 weeks today. I measured high on fluids (amniotic) too! Was told to lay off the sugar and carbs and see what happens. It's apparently possible to develop GD after the GD test... 

also, I will be having our baby 2 weeks from today! Got my surgery scheduled :) 
  • Those of you mentioning fluid measurements, are you having ultrasounds that tell that? 
  • No @kvruns. It was a weight gained based inference for me that dictated blood work. When they have the results, they'll make a determination from there.

@MrsMaryK2016 I'm not really sure right now, but I only have once in a blue moon swelling (i.e. fingers when it's hot out) and she said my reflexes and everything were fine, but that it was worth testing.

@Bmcd2016 - Congrats on the scheduled date! And you have me wondering if perhaps I have also develop GD long after the test...
  • @SandNStarsNJ They aren't retesting me or anything for it, especially with as short of time before baby is born, but I'm supposed to just cut down on the carbs =\ I think Halloween and my sudden daily soda (not like my normal self at all!) have caught up with me. 

@kvruns I did have a sonogram, I guess this dr likes to check fluid levels (sounds like car maintenance), baby's size, etc. at around 36 weeks. Though the dr who delivered my first two did not do ultrasounds past the 20 week anatomy scan. 
  • @bmcd2016 mine said they only do growth scan at 36 if they think there is a need. I wish I would have had one just to have an idea and to get a peek at the little guy again
  • MrsMaryK2016MrsMaryK2016 member
    edited November 2016
    @BmcD2016 and @SandNStarsNJ My doctor had me redo my GD test at 36 weeks because LO is measuring so big. I'm still GD negative but yeah, it's possible to develop it later in the pregnancy. 

Weird about the fluids though. I'm sure they're just being overly cautious. Good luck!

Edited: mobile keyboards are hard for swollen pregnancy fingers. 
  • I have a stretch and sweep scheduled for my next weekly appointment unless little one makes his/her arrival before then. 

Same old appointment this week. 
  • Had 38wk appt Monday and is there a reason the CNM would even mention stripping membranes at that point? I measured same as week before (2-3cm) and I'm well aware my due date is during thanksgiving week but it left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a big practice that you get who is on call for delivery so I'm just wondering why she would try to speed up the process.
  • Just left my 39wk appointment. Same as usual. I'm a little worried about my weight gain but doc hasn't mentioned it. At this point I've gained 46lbs and while I'm sure a lot of it is fluid retention it's still 4lbs more than last week. I guess I shouldn't worry if he's not worried.

Doc wants me back on Monday to do the next growth ultrasound and then we'll figure out if we're doing the c-section or not. I'm so ready to be not pregnant anymore.
  • So the doctor finally called a few hours after I was told they would call and my labs are completely normal... which means the good news that there's nothing wrong with baby or fluids and the bad news is that I have gained a lot of weight.

Hoping he comes before the next appointment!
  • You're not alone in the gained a lot of weight department! Hang in there sister! 
  • I also gained a lot, averaging 3 lbs a week lately, so I've gained about 42 lbs total
    so far and I'm only 37+3.

Had my 37 week appt today, tested positive for GBS, which is not hugely significant as I'm scheduled for the CS Nov 22nd (39+1). She is still breech and most likely will not be turning at this point, since she's measuring 2 weeks ahead. We didn't do a growth ultrasound but my OB said I'm not having a 6lb baby, that's for sure. I'm glad, as I heard bigger babies have bigger bellies and might sleep slightly longer between feedings (I'll take an extra 15 mins if that's what's on the line!!)

I'm so over being knocked up, if she flipped at this point I would cry. A lot. If I could deliver vaginally today I totally would. But I actually feel really lucky that we have this concrete plan for her arrival, it's exciting! And still no progress with my cervix, high and closed, so she probably won't be arriving before scheduled CS. I'm certain she would be late, she hasn't even dropped (not sure if they even can while breech?)
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• I had my 39 w appointment today (39w3d) and still no progress. Nothing has changed in thr cervix and baby is not engaged. I do not weight myself anymore and i started to eat sweet stuff almost everyday. I cannot care about the weight gain at this point. I was very dissapointed after this appointment but trying to relax and wait at this point. I have the next appointment scheduled for next Tue(day after my edd) and they will do an Nst test that day. I really really hope a miracle happen and i give birth this weekend.
  • I had my 38 week appt yesterday at 38w 3d.  Baby is still high and my cervix hasn't changed.   They were surprised given that it's my 3rd delivery,  but I keep telling them that I always go over.   I wasn't surprised.   My OB offered to sweep my membranes,  but I don't see any reason to do that before my due date so I said no.   My next appt is next Friday (39w 5d), and I'll have an NST then,  because I'm over 35. I'll consider a sweep then.  Mostly because the next week is Thanksgiving and it was hard to schedule an appt,  so my following appt isn't til 41w 1d.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Ok so I posted above on my Tuesday appointment.  Sunday I'll be 38 weeks. I had my 2nd ultrasound in 9m on Tuesday and cervical check. Zero cm. (4th baby). Anywhoo they just called and asked me to do another Ultrasound this Tuesday to check fluids at my next cervical check apt. So does this mean they were low on Tues? And how is this 4th baby not even dilated lol. Weird that they didnt say anything about fluid at the time but the USTech is notorious stone face and emotionless.