February 2017 Moms

Gestational Diabetes

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• Loading the player...
  • @Gretchypoo no flame here just pure & utter jealousy! Im seriously contemplating ordering pizza to the hospital once the baby is out! Its top of my savoury foods to eat once baby is born list. I discussed this list with my husband earlier while he laughed at me. A red velvet cupcake was also on the list. 
  • @Patience7150 aww! thank you :-) What's funny is I feel that way abt so many other ppl on here and in my life. The "they have it so much worse, i need to stfu" feeling. Growing a human is hard work!
  • I retook my 3 hour glucose test this past weekend after a month of carb counting and my results were completely normal- I didn't just barely pass either. I am glad my doctors listened to me and gave me a chance. I will continue to watch my diet for the rest of my pregnancy but just happy to know that my blood sugar levels weren't getting more out of control as time went along and that just making some changes made a difference. 
  • Has anyones diabetes consultant mentioned anything about after the baby is born?
    i had my last gd clinic today & whilst we talked about stopping insulin after the birth but i didnt realise i would have to take another glucose tolerance test at 6 weeks. Which make sense but is now making me nervous that it wont just be
    gone.
  • @Janefelicity yeah, mine told me I would have to take a GTT at 6 weeks, and probably every couple of years from now on just to make sure I don't develop T2. I also worry that my GD won't disappear, but it's an irrational fear; most people with GD have normal  test results once the baby is born, usually within a day or two.  I think of it as good motivation to stay super-healthy after baby is born, and in the grand scheme of things, I guess it's better to be re-tested occasionally to prevent future health problems!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Janefelicity my endocrinologist just told me he wanted to see me about 2 months after birth just to monitor things and make sure I'm not on tract for type 2. I don't know if that means a repeat GTT but that would make sense. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm also guilty of having bad snacks sometimes. It helps my sanity.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I'm guilty of the bad snacks.  It's where I'm having the hardest time because planning healthy meals is pretty easy for me but I love all the crap snacks.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The past few days ive been guilty of bad breakfast as i simply cannot look at bacon and eggs. Ive had cornflakes instead & my readings have been over target afterwards but even the thought of the "balanced" bacon and eggs again make me throw up a little in my mouth!
  • My snacks are always good bc I eat the same thing every day for snacks (cheese and crackers in the am, apple and pb in afternoon, 1/2 pb sandwich at night. )

@Janefelicity I don't blame you for the bad breakfasts but I had to laugh bc I just finished eggs and bacon!
  • @Gretchypoo i think we must all be eating the same things! Lol
    i have crackers & cheese for one of my snacks & usually cashew nuts for another.
  • @gretchypoo I also eat the same snacks every day! Nonfat Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries in the AM, cheese and crackers and a carrot in the PM, 1/4c of low-sugar ice cream with peanut butter in the evening. I like not thinking about snacks, so eating the same thing is easiest.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • quiet in here lately. exciting that we are starting to see babies! 

anyone else noticing their insulin resistance going down at about 35/36 weeks? I have been able to reduce mine some. :-) 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • LilyASF42LilyASF42 member
    edited January 2017

I've definitely noticed it quieting down in here a bit.  Then again, I'm not helping much since I"ve been spotty with the participation lately :-)

Did a non-stress test Friday (all good) and had an u/s on Saturday to check in on baby girl's growth.  She's measuring around 6 lbs and her belly to head ratio is in range so all good signs!  My numbers continue to be good (even when I confess my naughty moments and numbers to the doc she doesn't seem concerned) so all good things!  I really hope things stay on track and that we don't have to be induced or stress tests come back troublesome or anything like that.  Just have to wait and see!

• @cinderin I actually had my first high fasting number this morning - 96 (supposed to be under 95). And my post-breakfast number was 128, when the same exact meal has been under 110 up until now... I slept poorly last night and woke up stressed out because H's loud-ass uncle stayed the night last night and started talking loudly in our tiny house about 45 minutes before my alarm went off, so I am REALLY hoping these numbers are anomalies and not foreshadowing of anything to come. And I didn't exactly eat as healthy this weekend as usual since H's family was in town, though all my post-meal numbers over the weekend were great...I'd heard that some people's numbers start going down after 36 weeks, so I am trying to stay positive. May have to cut my carbs a little more though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I thought the resistance got worse as you progress? Either way my #s are finally in check. Still have some high days (same breakfast today and yesterday- 127 yesterday, 151 today!) but mostly good. NSTs 2x/wk and we will likely induce as she is 6lbs 12 oz according to our last growth ultrasound. I just want to make it until February and I'll be happy.
  • I thought the resistance got worse as you progress? Either way my #s are finally in check. Still have some high days (same breakfast today and yesterday- 127 yesterday, 151 today!) but mostly good. NSTs 2x/wk and we will likely induce as she is 6lbs 12 oz according to our last growth ultrasound. I just want to make it until February and I'll be happy.
    usually increases 24 to 36 weeks then can go down. did with my last PG. of course everyone is different. 

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• @madamerwin i also had my first high reading yesterday, and it repeated again today!

I also slept like total crap though (less than 6 hours each night) and work has been stressful... does that affect the numbers? My food numbers are fine, but the fasting numbers are freaking me out because they've been totally normal and then both days I've been just below the limit (my limit is 5.3 - European measurements! - and I've registered 5.2s both days). I have no idea why I'm suddenly spiking, and that's stressing me out even more! Ugh. 
  • @die frau sleep and stress DO affect your numbers! And yesterday my dr preemptively increased my med dosage because he said even after 36wks your blood sugars can increase. 

Try not to stress too much, you are still fine! Just try to sleep more at night and de-stress a little. And don't forget to exercise!
  • @Gretchypoo thanks -- that's a relief, at least! I'm going to go to the gym today and hopefully that makes me tired enough to get more than 5 hours of sleep -- although with 3rd trimester insomnia, who knows!?
  • sleep and stress are huge. 

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• madamerwinmadamerwin member
    edited January 2017
    @die frau as PPs said, stress and sleep definitely affect numbers. I made a point to go to bed early last night (after eating extra healthy yesterday), and I drank a lot of water before bed and every time I woke up to pee, and my fasting number this morning was completely normal (79). My post-breakfast number was also back to what I expect it to be (112).

I've heard some people's numbers stabilize or go down after 36 weeks, while others keep going up - so it's kind of a crap shoot from here on out!

ETA: Exercise also helps a ton! Though apparently if you exercise too close to bedtime it can make your fasting numbers go up? I usually do 30 min on the stationary bike at around 7pm...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it's because the placenta slowly starts releasing less hormones after 36 weeks so they don't affect the pancreas as much. My OB mentioned this but the endocrinologist hasn't and even threatened me with insulin last week, I had a bad week and my numbers for three mornings and lunches were high (by 5 pts), so this week I've been lowering my carbs. 
  • Is anyone else getting scar tissue on their fingers? I had to go from a 2 to a 3 on my needle just to keep getting blood on a few fingers 
  • Is anyone else getting scar tissue on their fingers? I had to go from a 2 to a 3 on my needle just to keep getting blood on a few fingers 
    Ouch, no! I try to prick different fingers/sides every time (pointer finger vs. middle, inside vs. outside). Certain fingers seem perpetually sore, but no scar tissue that I've noticed...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Gretchypoo I definitely have. I'm up to a five on mine because a four just wasn't cutting it anymore. I've started to dread the poke more now cause I know I have to do it harder just to get more out. 

And last week I bruised one of my fingers. I didn't do anything different but I could feel (and see!) the bruise the next day. It sucked.

We're so close to the end. And I can't wait to be done!
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • @Aussie45 I HAVE noticed I have to go up to 5 on my pointed fingers, so maybe I am getting some scar tissue? I just figured it was because my pointer fingers have always had tougher skin...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Gretchypoo lancets can have a big impact on needed depth + pain if they start getting dull. Do you swap out the lancet pretty often?
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use a new lancet each time. I have been at "2" the whole time. and I used these two finders for pricking last PG. try moving spots and switching off fingers. I only use the sides of my fingers. 

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• @Lafreeman21 I use a new lancet every time and I switch fingers and sides of fingers. But they have me checking my blood sugar 5x/day so it adds up :-/ 

I only seem to be getting scar tissue on my dominant hand, though, so maybe I just have light callouses from other stuff?
  • @Gretchypoo It's definitely possible you also have callouses - the outsides of both of my pointer fingers definitely have thicker skin than the insides or my middle fingers, but that's been the case since I started pricking myself - I think it's just from general wear and tear!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I definitely had scar tissue on all my fingers! Though the little red dots are fading now
  • I only use my non dominant hand. I do have calluses on my dominant hand. 

last time the little pricks spots disappeared within a month. 

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• I have been doing biophysical ultrasounds from 32 weeks on twice a week. Baby Sammy is passing with flying colors but he is measuring in the 95th percentile. I will be induced on the 9th if he doesn't come before that. I am definitly having a harder time with this little guy then my first but I'm almost there now. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• I am also excited to be so close to the end!! about 2.5 weeks left!

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013