February 2017 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• Options
    @becbec28 that's awesome! Just remember to not over do it at Thanksgiving,  though.  

• Options
    @AfKash Definitely. I already know what all we're making so I'm mentally figuring out how much of everything I can have and when. Like we'll probably all be so full from dinner that we'll have dessert later, so that can be my mid-afternoon snack lol.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    was considering doing finger pricks, but ultimately ended up doing the 1 hour which i promptly failed. i'm out of town on work travel this week so i'll do the three hour next monday. 

what annoyed me was that when my MW told me i failed, she said don't worry too much, 50% of women fail, and you're older (38) so more prone to fail the screening. i just kept thinking "then why did you waste my time with the screening and just send me for the 3 hour to begin with?". now i have to take time off work and rearrange meetings. very annoying. 
    welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • Options
    I really wish MyFitness Pal had a maternity version.  I started trying to keep track again of what I'm eating but it's frustrating cuz it's tailored to either lose,  gain,  or maintain weight. Would love to have something to take into consideration of baby growth and GD functions would be awesome,  too! 

• Options

I failed the 1 hour test ... I know that it doesn't mean anything . but I have horrible veins so the 3 hour test is going to suck.                         what did yall eat before your test? maybe I screwed up

• Options
    Another one here who failed the 1 hour test :-p  Doing the 3 hour on Friday morning.  I failed the 1 hour one last pregnancy as well but passed the 3 hour.  Hoping that's the case this time too!  I really hate needles..... :-/
  • Options

@AfKash maybe search in your app store. I found several apps that are for diabetes and when you set it up it asks what kind you have. They can have good info and the good ones I found have food logs too.

@mrsgabus For the 1 hour the office told me I couldn't eat anything less than an hour before taking my test but I had heard different things about if you should or shouldn't eat at all before the test. So I decided not to "risk" it and didn't eat anything and took the test first thing in the morning. I failed by 3 points. So I don't think it really matters what you do, whatever is going to happen will happen. I hated the 3 hour test because of the blood draws!! They had to stick me twice on the last time because the first vein didn't do anything and I ended up getting stuck 4 times in one arm because those were the best veins. Fx you pass your 3 hour but if not you can come commiserate with us :)

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Options
    cruffino said:
    was considering doing finger pricks, but ultimately ended up doing the 1 hour which i promptly failed. i'm out of town on work travel this week so i'll do the three hour next monday. 

what annoyed me was that when my MW told me i failed, she said don't worry too much, 50% of women fail, and you're older (38) so more prone to fail the screening. i just kept thinking "then why did you waste my time with the screening and just send me for the 3 hour to begin with?". now i have to take time off work and rearrange meetings. very annoying. 
    my OB just sends everyone to the two hour automatically. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    You will want to check with the lab or your doctor, but usually the 2 or 3 hour tests are fasting, so you would eat nothing before. 

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• Options
    cinderin said:
    cruffino said:

my OB just sends everyone to the two hour automatically. 
    This happened to me as well. I had GD early with DD and they just sent me to the 2 hour right away that time. His time my mw wanted me to do the 1 hour first. So instead of spending one Saturday morning in the lab, I got to spend two in a row. I was not happy. 
  • Options
    @LilyASF42 I had the same thing happen last time too and am taking my 3 hour on Friday morning as well. Fingers crossed! 
  • Options
    I have a follow up. doctors office just sent over my 2 hour test request. 

What was the time line between when you did your 1 hour and 2 hour?  

I felt horrible on Tuesday after my 1 hour and was thinking of going in the morning to do my 2 hour.  but it is a lot of sugar in a matter of 3 days 

• Options
    I had my first follow up with the Diabetes clinic and I am not on Insulin at bedtime and after lunch and dinner :( The diabetic nurse went through all my sugar levels over the last week as well as my food log and she said based on what I was eating my sugars should not be as high as they were after meals, I was also not eating all I should have been able to because I was worried about my sugar levels which they don't want me to do.

I'm discouraged, but thankfully I was prepared for it based on my last pregnancy so it wasn't a big surprise. I also found out that my hospital's policy is to induce at 39 weeks when you're on insulin, so baby boy will most likely be with us a week earlier than we thought!

@mrsgabus I did my tests a week apart, but I'm sure you can do them whenever your schedule allows.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @mrsgabus I did mine a week apart,  too. I feel like it gave me enough "rest" time between the 2. 

• Options
    Question for the moms-to-be on this thread who have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes; were there any stick out warning signs you experienced?  I can't test for another week and a half, but my midwife is wondering if I might have this because I am measuring a little large right now. Apparently I went from 22cm to 26.5cm in only a month. I looked up symptoms and nothing sticks out at me, but I'm just wondering if anyone had a "tell" as it were before they had their test.
  • Options
    BeckS13 said:
    Question for the moms-to-be on this thread who have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes; were there any stick out warning signs you experienced?  I can't test for another week and a half, but my midwife is wondering if I might have this because I am measuring a little large right now. Apparently I went from 22cm to 26.5cm in only a month. I looked up symptoms and nothing sticks out at me, but I'm just wondering if anyone had a "tell" as it were before they had their test.
    I can feel when my blood sugar is high or low. if you can feel that then you would feel high a lot. especially after a meal with a lot of carbs (sugar, bread, pasta, etc). 

Anniversary

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

• Options
    cinderin said:
    BeckS13 said:
    I can feel when my blood sugar is high or low. if you can feel that then you would feel high a lot. especially after a meal with a lot of carbs (sugar, bread, pasta, etc). 
    That's useful to know, thank you :) I'll be sure to pay closer attention to how I feel after I eat things like that.
  • Options
    No real symptoms this time (I'm boarderline this time) but even with my first I had a mild case and no insulin or medication. I watch what I eat... and try to get up and move a bit but that's it. 
  • Options
    @BeckS13 For me, high blood sugar often feels like someone took my brains out, added in about 2 lbs of mashed potatoes, and stuck it all back in there. A weird, gross headache that makes it hard to focus. Hopefully there are no mashed potato headaches for you :smiley:
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

@Lafreeman21 That's an interesting mental picture!

For me, if my sugar is high I get either an ache or a tingling sensation in my right temple. If it's low, I feel sluggish/tired and maybe a little shaky. But honestly, I didn't even notice the high sensations until after I started having to test myself. I've been looking back and realizing I feel yucky after a "bad" meal. But sometimes my sugars don't make any sense at all too! lol

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Options
    I took the 3 hr test today.  It was brutal!   STarted feeling sweaty and nauseous after about 90 mins.  I made it though.  FIngers crossed for Monday's results.   
    Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  
  • Options
    I took the 3 hr test today.  It was brutal!   STarted feeling sweaty and nauseous after about 90 mins.  I made it though.  FIngers crossed for Monday's results.   
    Me too!! I felt awful for a little while and was worried I was going to vom. Good luck on your results! 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I have been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. 
    Has anyone started checking their blood glucose levels at home? 
  • Options
    I have been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. 
    Has anyone started checking their blood glucose levels at home? 
    QFP

• Options
    I will be taking my 1 hour test on 12/02. My sister had GD during her pregnancy and had to go on a strict diet...and my niece was a big girl...born over 10 lbs. Very healthy little girl, she's almost 2 yrs old
  • Options
    AfKash said:
    I really wish MyFitness Pal had a maternity version.  I started trying to keep track again of what I'm eating but it's frustrating cuz it's tailored to either lose,  gain,  or maintain weight. Would love to have something to take into consideration of baby growth and GD functions would be awesome,  too! 
    So I know this was several days ago, but I just got caught up... I thought it was interesting you said that because when I first got my bfp I wrote myfitnesspal an email to customer support suggesting that they make an alternate set up for pregnant women. They basically just responded by telling me to manually adjust my calories. I thought it'd be cool to see workouts and food tips for pregnancy but they didn't take my "pitch" seriously lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Rainbow2017 I just did mine on Friday and the whole day was off for me too :-p  I remembered it being like that last time around too so I was dreading it beforehand.  I'm glad you passed though!  Hopefully I'll hear back from my midwife today on if I passed (fingers crossed!).
  • Options
    kswiger06 said:
    AfKash said:
    So I know this was several days ago, but I just got caught up... I thought it was interesting you said that because when I first got my bfp I wrote myfitnesspal an email to customer support suggesting that they make an alternate set up for pregnant women. They basically just responded by telling me to manually adjust my calories. I thought it'd be cool to see workouts and food tips for pregnancy but they didn't take my "pitch" seriously lol
    Well, screw them.  I tried adjusting the calories but it would be nice for the app to take into account the weight of the baby. Good on you for trying,  though!

• Options
    LilyASF42LilyASF42 member
    edited November 2016

Ugh :-(

Looks like 2 of the 4 blood draws were elevated.  Not by much but enough for my midwife to have to refer me to the diabetes center :-(  Said it will hopefully just be corrected with diet but we will have to see.  I'm majorly bummed

• Options
    @LilyASF42 That's how mine went and now after checking my sugars I'm really annoyed at having to do it at all. You can hang with us cool people though!

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Options

Well there is that at least @becbec28

I just really hate needles so I'm not looking forward to this.  Already feeling uneasy about the blood checks I'm sure are coming.  And REALLY uneasy about the possibility of insulin shots!  I don't think I would be able to administer those to myself truly and honestly. 

Fingers crossed diet adjustment will do it.  I know my diet hasn't been as good as it once was before the kiddo and exercise is basically non-existent now too.  I actually have been really turned off by meat this whole pregnancy so maybe the lack of protein and filling up on carbs is all this really is?  I have no idea.  Guess I'll see in a week or so or whenever I get my appointment set up.

• Options
    @LilyASF42 I really hate needles too and my fingers are totally yelling at me now lol. But don't even worry about insulin shots right now. What I learned in class is that's only if it's really bad. It sounds like you're pretty borderline like me. I thought I'd have to give up carbs almost entirely but it's really just about moderation because we actually need carbs. And it's been a lot of trial to see what actually affects me and what's not so bad. Fx it'll be easy on you too! If you have questions before your appointment you can hit me up ;)

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Options
    Wanted to follow up.. I had my 3 hour test last Thursday and wow I can honestly see why so many complain. Seriously that was pure hell! When I got home I was so dizzy and sick I thought I might actually pass out! I ate and ate until I finally felt a tad normal but honestly the whole day was ruined just lazed around and felt sick all day! I got the call the day after that I passed which makes me super happy but man I don't think ill ever forget those three plus hours. I hope that all of you with positive tests have safe and healthy pregnancies! 
    I did mine on Thursday and felt so horrible that I walked in the door ate a yogurt while making eggs and toast with a side of snickerdoodle cookie lol 

Then I had to nap cause my head was spinning . 

• Options
    For those of you trying to maintain a healthy blood glucose level through diet....do you find it's helping? How are your levels?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from the hospital to schedule an appointment with the diabetes clinic. I was really upset when I was first diagnosed last Monday but I have been trying to watch my carb/protein intake until I hear more about what they want me to do. 
  • Options
    Is anyone else waiting this long to get their results? I was told I would know today but it's 430 and no call. I tried calling them this morning and they didn't have any info. 

My last pregnancy the tech told me the numbers as he drew my blood. 
  • Options
    @knottie32616390 - diet and exercise can help maintain good levels in many people. Going to the diabetes class should really help settle your nerves. 

@homemake - mine took a few days. I guess it just depends on whether the lab is onsite or not? 

For everyone who struggles with the finger pricking - last pregnancy my numbers were borderline and after a few weeks my MFM said that I could cut back from 4x a day to 2x a day. So maybe you will be able to do that too!  
  • Options

@homemake I had both of my tests first thing in the morning and didn't hear anything until the next day. If you don't hear back by this afternoon try calling them again.

For those of you trying to maintain a healthy blood glucose level through diet....do you find it's helping? How are your levels?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from the hospital to schedule an appointment with the diabetes clinic. I was really upset when I was first diagnosed last Monday but I have been trying to watch my carb/protein intake until I hear more about what they want me to do. 

Since testing my sugars I've taken note of what foods make me spike and then avoid them or be more careful of moderation. Basically you want to have a diet that includes 2 carb choices at breakfast, 3-4 at lunch, and 4 at dinner, plus 3 snacks of 1 carb choice each (1 carb choice = 15 grams of carbs). Meat and leafy veggies you can have as much as you want. Fruit, milk/yogurt, sugar, and starches are going to be your carbs. Your appointment will go more in depth with you but really, for me at least, it's been a lot of trying to see what's ok and what's not. And a lot of reading labels!

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Options
    Thank you for all your advice! I appreciate it.