TTC After a Loss

Experience or Knowledge about IVF and hormones?

I plan to post this question in the PGAL (and maybe an edited version in the infertility board but slightly) but thought that some of you might have gone through IVF or researched it yourselves.

Would any of you who have gone through IVF be willing to share your experience with me? Specifically, how did you react to the hormones that you had to take during the process? Have any of you undergone IVF with PGD for genetic concerns (not infertility)? I have tried to find stats for the success rates for IVF with PGD in cases were fertility is not an issue but haven’t had any luck.

I’m considering having IVF with PGD because my husband and I are both carriers of a genetic disease. IVF sounds like a very physically and emotionally taxing process and I am particularly concerned about the hormones I will have to take. I have a long history of depression, which has been well managed for years with medicine, therapy, exercise, and good nutrition. I have struggled a lot since my miscarriage earlier this year and have decided (reluctantly) after consultation with my doctors to stay on my antidepressant for my next pregnancy. In the past, I have been unable to tolerate artificial hormones because they greatly exacerbate my depressive symptoms. The most dramatic reaction that I had was to progesterone, which I was given as a teenager when I didn’t have a period for months at time. I slept for three days! But all versions of the Pill have been difficult for me to tolerate, as well. Since I am currently struggling and imagine that I will have more anxiety during IVF, I am really worried about how the hormones will affect my mental health. Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Experience or Knowledge about IVF and hormones?

• I think some recent grads (@BornReady maybe?) did IVF and might be able to answer your questions. You could also check out the Infertility IVF board. You could probably learn a lot just reading their posts and check ins. It can get overwhelming though.
  • ____TW____

I did my first round of IVF in June 2016 and did PGS testing (test for chromosomal issues) not PGD. I was super nervous about doing the stim meds, but actually did not feel like I had much of a reaction to them at all. Since I did the PGS testing, I did not do a fresh transfer, but instead did a frozen transfer in August after waiting for my results. In the mean time, I had to be on birth control...well that wasn't pretty. I was VERY depressed and felt a little crazy. I (and my husband) were counting the moments until I was off them. I sobbed through my planning meeting with my RE for my FET. She said I would never be put on them again, and could just do a natural cycle if I ever needed to in the future. So, you have choices. I also did a natural start to my stim cycle, meaning I was not supressed on BCP prior to cycling... Thank God.

For my frozen transfer I was on estradiol and an estrogen patch. I have not felt that good in a very long time. I was super happy, not sure if it was the estrogen or just knowing I was transferring soon, but I had no negative side effects.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. I also participated on the IF board, and there is a ton of information and support to be had there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @RiverSong15 and @BornReady for sharing your experience! I always feel shy about posting and wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for me to post on the IF board since my problem isn't with fertility. I have been on the board and plan to keep wading through it to find out more. I know I'm in for more tough decisions and tears however DH and I decide to proceed. It's tough to face that but I appreciate the support!
  • Super late response to this (I joined this board with my loss in October, but then haven't been on since we sort of self-benched when we decided in November to move forward with IVF for screening (not diagnosis/PGD) - though not in time to do testing till December).

Thanks @Wingless00 and @BornReady for sharing your concerns and experiences.  I have one more week of OCP suppression and between that and the androgel because I'm old I have NOT been happy (like had the first suicidal thought I've had in a long time - had used lower dose nuvaring for bc prior to ttc).  I'm kind of scared of what the stim drugs will do - I actually did a retrieval four and a half years ago to freeze eggs right after I turned 35 but really only remember being really puffy/bloated afterwards (and that wasn't the best protocol).  At least I know it's the hormones messing with me.

@Wingless00 Have you since completed a cycle? I don't know actually know if we officially have a diagnosis or how that works - other than being old (I'll be 40 and DH will be 42 this year) - we got pregnant the month after we got married (and didn't try before we got married), but December marks 6 months of trying at a AMA without a successful pregnancy (and three doctors have told me it was weird to have gotten normal NIPT results back and to have made it to just shy of 12 weeks).  We're optimistic screening will help us pick one that will stick (and hopefully we'll get anything PGS normal at this age).

Thanks again for sharing.
    About me:
    Married 6/18/16 (Me 42, DH 44), TTC #2
    ***TW***
    Natural BFP 8/10/16 --> mc our NIPT-normal little girl at 11w5d on 10/1/16 :(
    As of 12/2016:  AMH 1.42, FSH 6.1, AFC ~10
    Self-benched Nov-Dec 2016 for
    IVF #1 Jan-Feb 2017 (OCP, testosterone primed antagonist w/HGH - ER 2/2/17 - 12R, 7M ICSI'd, 3F, 0B)
    IVF #2 Mar-Apr 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 4/8/17 - 10R, 8M, 8F, 5B, 1 PGS normal)
    IVF #3 May-Jun 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 6/4/17 - 14R, 5F, 3B, 0 normal)
    **New RE**
    IVF #4 Sept 2017 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 9/28/17 - 33R, 18F, 10B, 4 PGS normals!)
    FET #1 (medicated) of one PGS normal 4AA XX 11/2/17 - Beta #1 11/11/17 (153), Beta #2 11/13/17 (324), mc at 5w1d on 11/19/17 :(
    IVF #5 Dec 2017 - Insemination of 9 frozen eggs from 2012 (8F, 1B, 0 normal)
    Jan 2018 - Natural cycle ERA (normal/receptive) & stimming for
    IVF #6 Jan-Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/3/18 - 17R, 6M, 4F, 0 blasts)
    IVF #7 Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/26/18 - 19R, 9M, 9F, 4B, 2 PGS normals)
    FET #2 Apr 2018 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 4AA- XX 4/5/18 - Beta #1 4/14/18 (67), Beta #2 4/16/18 (231)
    Rainbow baby girl born 12/16/2018 (via c-section, induced at 39 weeks)

-----
    TFAS!
    FET #3 Dec 2019 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal 3BB XY 12/16/19 - Beta #1 12/24/19 (139), Beta #2 12/27/19 (482)

Lilypie Maternity tickers