May 2017 Moms
Options

Group B Strep positive -- advice needed

I just got a call from my midwife practice today that they found group B strep in my urine in small amounts. I was GBS positive for both of my previous pregnancies. The plan of action was to give me antibiotics during labor every 4 hours. Both times I got one dose and then had the baby just short of when I could have been given the 2nd dose. Nothing bad happened in either case.

I was half assuming I'd have it again this time so this is no shocker, nor am I concerned in any way because everything went fine the other times, and we heard some grumblings that the 2nd dose might be excessive/unnecessary. But what's different this time is that this practice, which is run through a birth center, wants to try to get rid of the GBS now. They want me to take antibiotics. I can't remember how long of a course it is, but it doesn't sit well with me. I'm someone who's strongly against taking antibiotics when they are unnecessary, because of all of the side effects (I almost always get a yeast infection, even with taking probiotics at the same time) and because of how excessive antibiotics use can lead to superbugs/antibiotic resistance in the population (not necessarily in me, but I don't want to contribute to that shit.) Moreover, I doubt it will do anything. I've taken antibiotics several times for warranted reasons since my first pregnancy 6 years ago, and yet whenever they test for it, I always seem to be GBS positive.

So I'm curious about whether you have ever been GBS positive and such action was recommended. Or not. DH and I are suspicious that it's because this is a birth center, and being GBS positive will lengthen your stay there as well as potentially increase the risk of having to be moved to the hospital, both of which they don't want. But I don't really care if either of those things happen.

I am considering pushing back on this--asking for more explanation or maybe refusing to take the drugs. But first I'm curious about your experiences.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Group B Strep positive -- advice needed

• Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited October 2016
    I had gbs with my daughter but didn't find out until much later on. Honestly while everything was fine and baby was not affected, if I could have had the option of fighting the infection ahead of time,  I would've jumped on it to lessen the risk of infecting the baby. From what I have read, it is recommended by the AAP that women at risk of having gbs get on the antibiotic early on, even before their gbs status is determined. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Most likely what they are wanting to treat you right now for is a GBS UTI (not trying to get rid of your gbs for labor). UTIs in pregnancy can be more troublesome as you are at an increased risk for kidney infections and later in pregnancy, preterm labor.  Depending on the clinic, they may test you for GBS again as you get closer to delivery.   GBS is super common in women and really has no impact on the momma, but has been shown to cause some pretty nasty infections in littles (sometimes).  Also GBS showing up is super transient, one pregnancy may be positive while your next is negative and visa versa. Even in the same pregnancy if you are tested multiple times throughout you could have different results, which is why the current recommendation is to test as close to delivery (35-36 weeks) or when presenting in labor if earlier than that. 

As for those dosing while in labor it's very interesting. The current recommendation is a dose of antibiotics at least 2 hours prior to delivery but not more than 5 (this is for penicillin, the common antiobiotic used in labor unless there is an allergy). We give it every 4 hours until you deliver because we never know when babies are going to be born so it's hard to give just one dose and know your baby will be here two hours later. 

Wow that ended up long! Sorry!!
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They don't test for Gbs in the UK. One of the reasons being that it is transient. If you have a positive at one point, it is still a low chance that it will get passed to the baby. It is also a very high chance that every woman will have GBS at some point during pregnancy but it doesn't mean it will always be there.
     If you choose to get tested privately then you have to go on anti biotic during labur.
     They monitor babies afterwards for signs of infection if you haven't been tested.
  • Options
    I did not test positive for GBS with my first pregnancy, but did with this one. My doctor treated me with antibiotics at week 7 for all of the reasons mentioned above. Specifically, her immediate concern was a UTI causing other complications for the pregnancy (kidney infections, preterm labor--as MrsFreeman2010 mentioned above). She said that I will be tested again and likely will still need antibiotics during the delivery if I test positive. I am definitely not one to unnecessarily take antibiotics...I actually don't think I've taken antibiotics of any kind in the last 10 or so years. To me, it seemed reasonable based on the medical concerns to treat what we could now. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Most likely what they are wanting to treat you right now for is a GBS UTI (not trying to get rid of your gbs for labor). UTIs in pregnancy can be more troublesome as you are at an increased risk for kidney infections and later in pregnancy, preterm labor.  Depending on the clinic, they may test you for GBS again as you get closer to delivery.   GBS is super common in women and really has no impact on the momma, but has been shown to cause some pretty nasty infections in littles (sometimes).  Also GBS showing up is super transient, one pregnancy may be positive while your next is negative and visa versa. Even in the same pregnancy if you are tested multiple times throughout you could have different results, which is why the current recommendation is to test as close to delivery (35-36 weeks) or when presenting in labor if earlier than that. 

As for those dosing while in labor it's very interesting. The current recommendation is a dose of antibiotics at least 2 hours prior to delivery but not more than 5 (this is for penicillin, the common antiobiotic used in labor unless there is an allergy). We give it every 4 hours until you deliver because we never know when babies are going to be born so it's hard to give just one dose and know your baby will be here two hours later. 

Wow that ended up long! Sorry!!
    When I heard bacteria in urine I also thought UTI but they didn't say those words and were just talking about the risks of GBS during delivery (which I've been told before from my previous pregnancies.) I've had UTIs before and they suck, but I have zero symptoms now. So I still find this puzzling. But it sounds like so far you guys are in favor of the antibiotics. I'll keep gathering responses and get more information from them before proceeding, but in general I am inclined to trust the experts (i.e. they who are telling me to take the drugs!)

• Options
    If it is showing up in your urine and not from a vaginal swab then you have a uti (either symptomatic or not), or you contaminated the specimen. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker