May 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    @SKZW Oh gosh, watching a movie in the car would make me so much more car sick, weird how that works. I thought if what you see visually matches your physical sensations of motion it should help a lot? I guess it's different for everyone.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @WombThereItIs - DS was born in November 2015 and there was already a push for all moms to keep their babies with them. I was a C-section and stayed 4 nights and I sent him to the nursery for the first 3. I am worried the climate has changed even more since then and that it may be harder to do this time around. That's my last chance at good sleep for the foreseeable future...don't take it from me!

@mia1116 - I was talking to two women recently - one older who has grown children and one who was due in about 2 weeks. She was hoping for an unmedicated birth and the older woman said something like 'of course... our bodies are made to have babies and I don't see why women can't just deal with it.' I certainly kept my mouth shut (pitocin, epidural, c-section) but what I couldn't help thinking was... Why can't we just champion each others' decisions no matter what they are??? I was totally supportive of the mom-to-be who wanted an unmedicated birth - it's not for me, but I wished her the best of luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Abby7  Definitely different for everyone! My parents could read a whole book for hours in a moving car but my sib and I can barely look at our phone for 2 minutes. For me, it's kind of like in yoga class, when I'm unbalanced, staring at one spot on the floor helps center me. I think it's the same way for the DVD player---a single place to focus on (maybe regardless of what's happening onscreen?).
  • Options
    @emilyalso my son was born Nov 2014 and they only had limited nursery beds for sick babies. I had a c section and hemmhoraged (plus I had a urine cath for 2 days...) so I was EXHAUSTED and they still left him with me. The second night he wouldn't stop screaming and eventually I rang the call button in hysterics myself and told them to take him and figure it out. They ended up having to keep him at the nurses station for a few hours because there was nowhere to go!

I'm less than psyched about being at the same hospital again. Nothing about that was good for baby or me. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    1. Our bodies were not clearly well enough made to give birth given the horrible maternal and infant mortality rates before modern obstetrical intervention 

2. Ask almost any woman from, say, 1960 or before, and she would gladly take an epidural. We're the lucky ones.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    Abby7 said:
    1. Our bodies were not clearly well enough made to give birth given the horrible maternal and infant mortality rates before modern obstetrical intervention 

2. Ask almost any woman from, say, 1960 or before, and she would gladly take an epidural. We're the lucky ones.
    Yaassss!!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• Options
    In Denmark, where I live, the view on getting an epidural seems so different from what it is in the U.S. Here under 20% of women get an epidural, and I've never heard anyone brag about giving birth without it as that is considered the norm. When I gave birth to DS I didn't even view it as a possibility, as I thought it was something that was only used in extreme cases. 

I'm not for or against them, I just think it's an interesting difference between cultures.  :)

• Options
    lrwardrop said:
    I had an epidural with my DS and I plan to again this time.. however I think if you have an un medicated birth you do have the right to brag about it. Labor and delivery is rough! I also am on board with the hospitals getting rid of the nursery's. I understand there is some extreme cases where mom is left alone and is dealing with medical issues herself but I have personally seen where the baby's mom and dad are in the room sleeping while the baby is out at the nurses station. The nurses are busy trying to take care of other patients while taking turns trying to keep your baby calm. At the end of the day, its your baby and if the nurse offers that's great but if she doesn't.. don't leave your baby for her to figure out (unless there is a medical need).
    The nurses had to argue and beg me to take my child to the nurses' station so my husband and and I could get some sleep during a very rough night. I was not suffering any abnormal health issues, I just needed sleep. Because I thought I'd be a bad mom if I sent my kid out of the room with the nurses or to the nursery, I was very stubborn and didn't want them to take her. They took her to the nurses' station for a few hours and it was the most sleep of my entire hospital stay. There's nothing wrong with letting them take your kid even if there's no medical need (other than lack of sleep). It's statements like this (together with "babyfriendly" initiatives) that shame moms into thinking it's not a possibility. I assure you, no patients suffered because my baby was at the nurses' station. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    lrwardrop said:
    I had an epidural with my DS and I plan to again this time.. however I think if you have an un medicated birth you do have the right to brag about it. Labor and delivery is rough! I also am on board with the hospitals getting rid of the nursery's. I understand there is some extreme cases where mom is left alone and is dealing with medical issues herself but I have personally seen where the baby's mom and dad are in the room sleeping while the baby is out at the nurses station. The nurses are busy trying to take care of other patients while taking turns trying to keep your baby calm. At the end of the day, its your baby and if the nurse offers that's great but if she doesn't.. don't leave your baby for her to figure out (unless there is a medical need).
    The nurses had to argue and beg me to take my child to the nurses' station so my husband and and I could get some sleep during a very rough night. I was not suffering any abnormal health issues, I just needed sleep. Because I thought I'd be a bad mom if I sent my kid out of the room with the nurses or to the nursery, I was very stubborn and didn't want them to take her. They took her to the nurses' station for a few hours and it was the most sleep of my entire hospital stay. There's nothing wrong with letting them take your kid even if there's no medical need (other than lack of sleep). It's statements like this (together with "babyfriendly" initiatives) that shame moms into thinking it's not a possibility. I assure you, no patients suffered because my baby was at the nurses' station. 

That's why I said if the nurse offers that's great but if she doesn't....
  • Options
    @lrwardrop You also said, "I understand there is some extreme cases where mom is left alone and is dealing with medical issues herself but I have personally seen where the baby's mom and dad are in the room sleeping while the baby is out at the nurses station. The nurses are busy trying to take care of other patients while taking turns trying to keep your baby calm." That implies that it's wrong for parents to send their baby with the nurses to get some sleep. It's not. Statements like yours guilt trip new mom's into thinking it's not ok. It is. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot amen. 

Also I think you are greatly overestimating the workload of mother baby unit nurses @lrwardrop especially at night time. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    @lrwardrop You also said, "I understand there is some extreme cases where mom is left alone and is dealing with medical issues herself but I have personally seen where the baby's mom and dad are in the room sleeping while the baby is out at the nurses station. The nurses are busy trying to take care of other patients while taking turns trying to keep your baby calm." That implies that it's wrong for parents to send their baby with the nurses to get some sleep. It's not. Statements like yours guilt trip new mom's into thinking it's not ok. It is. 

Is this the unpopular opinion thread? I am a nurse and in my opinion and observation there are times when the nurses simply do not have time to take care of your baby since there is no longer designated nursery's in most hospitals. I was not implying that its wrong to send your baby I was just shedding light from the other side. The hospitals are constantly trying to operate with the bare minimum staff allowed and the nurses are often swamped and barely have time for a lunch break or time to go to the bathroom. Are there some parents that take advantage of the nurses? yes...
  • Options
    Honestly, I can't believe they are doing away with nurseries at the hospital. I was EXHAUSTED after giving birth and sending DD to the nursery was the best thing I did for myself. I slept and it felt great. They brought her back when she was hungry and needed to nurse (plus they poked and prodded me every so often) but I still SLEPT. Do not ever feel bad about wanting to send your child to the nursery. Don't let some other mother make you feel badly about it. I fully intend to do it again with #2 and that doesn't make me a bad mother.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Abby7 said:
    Nurses did not just labor and give birth less than 48 hours prior. I won't feel guilty if they have to juggle duties so I, a hospital inpatient who has in fact just been through L&D, can get physical rest.

Nurses are not servants.....

• Options
    lrwardrop said:
    Abby7 said:
    Nurses did not just labor and give birth less than 48 hours prior. I won't feel guilty if they have to juggle duties so I, a hospital inpatient who has in fact just been through L&D, can get physical rest.

Nobody is calling them servants.. have you gone through labor before? Im on mobile so I cant see a siggy or your history 

• Options
    My mother has been a nurse since the early 70s, including a several-year stint in L&D before I was born. She would never expect a patient who had just given birth to not get some solid rest and would grumble against hospital policy, not the "sleeping mother and father", if there was a problem caring for newborns during this rest.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Options
    pshaortao said:
    lrwardrop said:
    Abby7 said:

Nobody is calling them servants.. have you gone through labor before? Im on mobile so I cant see a siggy or your history 

Yes 

• Options
    kat81 said:
    My UO: I don't like facebook announcements of births unless the person doing the announcing has already told all of their close friends and family first (in person or on the phone/Skype preferred), as well as anyone who can easily be told in person. I'm a little offended when a close friend notifies me via facebook instead of phone or even e-mail. I have nothing against cutesy social media announcements. I actually REALLY appreciate and love seeing these on facebook for acquaintances / less close friends or for people whose pregnancies I already know about. But I don't think it's the appropriate way to tell your main circle of people. I feel the same way about engagements. We got engaged before facebook existed and married before it was popular so we didn't have to deal with this "announcement" issue, but for our pregnancies it has been a challenge how to keep things off of social media before everyone who needed to be told separately got the information. I just think some people should get to know first, and putting the info on facebook doesn't ensure that happening (your best friends might not check facebook much, etc.)

I realized this might be an UO because it came up on another thread. I even did the awful thing of butting into someone else's business in order to mention it (but with 100% good intentions of trying to protect this person against people like me who could be hurt to hear about the pregnancy via facebook.)

To be clear -- I don't judge people who I don't know (like all of you) or acquaintances for engaging in this practice. But MY people (close friends, work friends, family) had better tell me before it goes to facebook.
    Yup. I actually found out about my cousins death because of FB. No one thought to pick up the phone and call me. I saw my family posting it all over FB.  I was devastated 
  • Options
    @SparkySunDevil
    That's beyond horrible... I'm so sorry...
  • Options
    @SKZW my son has always been called by his initials. His name was a compromise befween my husband and I. I got the name I wanted, but we call him by his initials so everyone is happy. And honestly his nickname fits him better than his name. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SKZW said:
    @SparkySunDevil
    That's beyond horrible... I'm so sorry...
    Thank you. It's been nearly 6 years now. And we found out we were pregnant with my oldest just a few days later. So that was a ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak time.
  • Options
    @kayemjay2 I can kind of get the ridiculous breastfeeding comments on day 1 because my son was a nipple destroying monster from the start. By the time I tried to go to sleep at the end of day 1 I was bruised and bleeding and someone had to hold me down when he latched because of the pain. Some babies are seriously terrible nursers especially at first. 

My UO: I hate the "baby friendly" hospital trend and phasing out of nurseries except for sick babies. No matter how you give birth it is a very tiring and painful process and you need time to heal. You'll bond with your baby just fine without rooming in, moms should have the right to choose if they need time apart to rest and recuperate a little before heading home. 
    Lurking from Dec 15. While pregnant, I was completely against sending my baby to the nursery at all, even for tests. And then I was induced and had a 24 hour labor, three hours of pushing, and got doped up on morphine because my epi wore off and I had a third degree tear. I wanted nothing more than to keep my baby with me, but couldn't even hold my eyes open. The nurses took her for five hours and I was much more capable of taking care of her once the morphine wore off. 
  • Options
    pop12pop12 member
    edited October 2016
     I delivered my 1st with a epi and my 2nd Without. I was proud of myself both times and everything but i defiantly felt like a freaking rock star after I had my 2nd.

I formula fed ds1 and breastfed ds2. I bonded faster with #1, I wasn't so crazy stressed about feeding the baby. I felt like I didn't get to actually enjoy #2 for a while. And actually to this day #1 who is 5 is way more cuddly and loving on me this is brother.

Omg bring back the nursery! I was so exhausted after ds2. Every time they had to do a test on him i begged them to take him to the little nursery they did have so I could sleep for 20 mins.
  • Options
    Yes the nursery is a thing of the past at least here at yale. They just redid the whole maternity floor got rid of the nursery. They are also very aggressive about breastfeeding. My friend came in knowing she wanted to formula feed and the way she made it sound was that they pretty much tried to refuse her and make her try to bf. Where I delivered in sharon hospital they don't have a nursery but it's a 6 room maternity floor and we were the only family there so for one night they took ds to the nurse station so I could sleep between feedings.