January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 9/26

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 9/26

• Question for STM+ who delivered their other children early. Do you find yourself hyper aware of getting things ready even earlier this time around? My DS was born at 37 weeks via spontaneous labor. During that pregnancy I had said everything has to be ready by 37 weeks just in case. This time around I'm really leaning toward 33-35 weeks. I'd like to say 30 but think my DH would go nuts if I packed a hospital bag at 30 weeks. There really wasn't much we didn't have ready with my first and there is less we need ready with this one but I'm still very aware of the possibility.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @carly79 we had a 38 weeker last time, I'm super aware that I could go early again. I was induced but my body was beyond ready (totally effaced and 3+ cm for a week and half prior and then a 5 hour total for labor and delivery) so I doubt I would have lasted much longer anyway. I'll probably pack around week 30 just for peace of mind. 
  • I didn't go early with my first (one day late) but I'm still finding myself feeling like I need to be prepared early this time. My labor was extremely fast and I walked around at 4 1/2 dilated and 100% effaced for a week before giving birth. Plus it seems like everything is happening much earlier this time around. Maybe I'm paranoid but I want to be ready to roll by 36 weeks this time. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I also wasn't super early (DD came just 1 day before her due date), but I fully expected her to be super late, because my mom's babies always were. So when she wasn't, it really took me by surprise, haha! Thankfully, I had everything ready because it's just my personality to be prepared,but since I've heard that second babies come earlier than first babies, I'm going to be especially conscious of being ready no later than 36 weeks.  Of course, since I have that mentality, this baby probably will actually be super late.  You just never know!
  • I feel like I'm the opposite this time in regards to being ready. I was ready to go last time around 32 weeks and felt like the wait until he was actually here was endless. I feel a bit more laid back this time around. It could also be that we're living with the in laws right now while our house is renovated so there's really nothing to prepare yet. Once we move in though I fully expect to drive my husband nuts with to do lists. 

Last pregnancy I was 2 cm and 80% effaced at 36 weeks and thought for sure I was going early. It made me even more anxious and I went almost 40 weeks. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Okay ladies. You've been freaking awesome! This week I'm stuck going back and forth between the Boppy and the My Brest Friend for my registry. I know I've seen small discussions about these pillows, but I really can't decide which is the better pillow. I plan to breastfeed and I've registered for other Boppy pillows for him to lay/sit in when he's little. Any opinions on which one is best? Thanks in advance! 
  • My Brest Friend (or to throw another one in there maybe check out Luna Lullaby). I found the boppy too small, both in fitting it around me and giving me enough support to get baby up high enough to nurse. The Luna lullaby pillow is thicker, bigger and less circular. I've not use the My Brest Friend pillow but have heard good things, again, it sits up higher than the boppy and fits around you better.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I feel like I'm further behind this time around for some reason, but feel like I need to get done sooner so the next 5 weeks are going to be a little hectic :) Plus I want to get my Christmas shopping done too.

Pregnancy Ticker

• First off, Thank you for all your support and knowledge.  This week wifey is 23 weeks, has not had any morning sickness since the beginning of the 2nd trimester, today she had her usual breakfast (oatmeal, banana and left over zeppole from street fair(added bonus)) and a few minutes later she felt completely nauseous and it all came up.   Freaked her out a little bit.  Made a post about it this morning, guess its normal lol.

John
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @christac1010 I'm a FTM but I registered for the boppy for baby to sit in (and to be completely honest, because they have some great covers on etsy) but for breastfeeding I registered for the Boppy Best  Latch. My friends all recommended it and it has a strap to go around your waist so it doesn't slip. Haven't tried it out yet but thought I'd share!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had the boppy and brest friend pillow. I didn't end up using the Brest friend much. I found it annoying. I used the boppy more or just pillows. Like pp said, the boppy is great for propping baby up too!
  • @underthesea That's why I didn't get the Brest Friend because it seemed cumbersome. The Lula Lullaby I had was awesome because it was similar to a boppy but not so formed and thicker to help with more support

Pregnancy Ticker

• I absolutely thought the Brest Friend was way superior to the Boppy. It was more sturdy, flat so baby didn't roll, wrapped around your waist and gave you back support, had a little pocket for holding things like water bottles or pacis, would stay in place if you needed to stand up.....I could go on and on. It wasn't cumbersome at all. 

I ended up using our boppies for propping baby only. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• edited September 2016
    Okay ladies. You've been freaking awesome! This week I'm stuck going back and forth between the Boppy and the My Brest Friend for my registry. I know I've seen small discussions about these pillows, but I really can't decide which is the better pillow. I plan to breastfeed and I've registered for other Boppy pillows for him to lay/sit in when he's little. Any opinions on which one is best? Thanks in advance! 
    For me, 100% My Breast Friend.  It stayed in position so much better and I didn't feel a need to slouch as much.  It was so much easier and more comfortable to use.  However, the knock off boppy that I got had a little seat thing that I could put DD in and it was awesome for tummy time, plus personal preference definitely plays a role... so, honestly, if I were you, I would register for both! If you only get one, give it a try and if it doesn't work, order the other.  A good nursing pillow that you feel comfortable using is so worth the money.  

ETA this is the boppy alternative that I got.  But again, I definitely preferred My Breast Friend.  
    Leachco Cuddle-U Nursing Pillow and More, Sage Pin Dot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RHYPS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gFy6xb9H1RGM1

• On going early, I had my daughter a week early, and we had been prepped for weeks. I think this go round I am more avout not drivinf myself crazy that early on the baby side, but more of "omg we need to do all the house projects before we have 2 kids or it will never ever happen!" Lol. I also keeo having nightmares about forgetting to put up a Christmas tree
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • And it ate the rest of my other post... grrrrr.... with the boppy it wasn't bug enough to bring baby to my boob and the mbf was at least flat to balance plates on so I could eat while feeding. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • WholesomeWholesome member
    edited September 2016
    @christac1010 I had the Boppy with the belt.  The Brest Friend looks nice to me too but I didn't see that until I already had mine.  I think having the belt makes things SOO much easier because I can clip it on and do what I need with both hands without having to adjust the pillow.  I always clipped the belt, grabbed my babe, blanket and whatever else (like my phone) while not needing to adjust the pillow when we sat down.

i do recommend getting at least 2 pillows.  I had one in the house and one in the car for when we were out and about.  Plus, when my son was a newborn, he had a magic power of peeing on me through his diaper and soaking the pillow - it was nice to have a pillow in circulation while one was in the wash.

BabyName Ticker
  • Wholesome said:
    @christac1010 I had the Boppy with the belt.  The Brest Friend looks nice to me too but I didn't see that until I already had mine.  I think having the belt makes things SOO much easier because I can clip it on and do what I need with both hands without having to adjust the pillow.  I always clipped the belt, grabbed my babe, blanket and whatever else (like my phone) while not needing to adjust the pillow when we sat down.

i do recommend getting at least 2 pillows.  I had one in the house and one in the car for when we were out and about.  Plus, when my son was a newborn, he had a magic power of peeing on me through his diaper and soaking the pillow - it was nice to have a pillow in circulation while one was in the wash.

I would've liked my boppy so much more if it had a belt like this!
  • I will probably pack bags at 36 weeks just because it is easier for me to pack them early, than for DH to try to find specific things when I am at the hospital.  I don't take much to the hospital because I don't really find it necessary but I do take my own clothes for ASAP after labor, my own pillow, and my own toiletries so I can feel human again as soon as possible.  We also take a change of clothes and toiletries for DH although he came home to shower last time and probably will again because we have dogs he will be in and out taking care of.  I also am packing a bag with a few days worth of clothes for the kids because they will be at my moms house.

In regards to boppy, I have 2 from previous babies, but If I can score a good deal on a breast friend or similar second hand I will pick that up to try as I didn't love the boppy.  
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Recommendation for where to buy a decent maternity coat (like, winter coat, not a fall jacket) for not a ton of money? Motherhood Maternity's prices are more than I'd like to spend and Old Navy's selection is super limited right now.  Hoping to spend under $50 but I know that might not be realistic... I've been scouring consignment sites but I might not find something on there before the cold weather comes so I'd like a few more options.  Last time I was able to use my normal winter coat throughout but DD was born in June and it was getting pretty tight by the end of the winter so I doubt it'll work this time.  So... any ideas?
  • @Carly79 absolutely! DD came at 36 weeks and I feel like I'm counting down to that point instead of 40 as far as getting things ready goes. My bag and car will be loaded at 34 just in case I'm sure! Haha
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Okay ladies. You've been freaking awesome! This week I'm stuck going back and forth between the Boppy and the My Brest Friend for my registry. I know I've seen small discussions about these pillows, but I really can't decide which is the better pillow. I plan to breastfeed and I've registered for other Boppy pillows for him to lay/sit in when he's little. Any opinions on which one is best? Thanks in advance! 
    I loved the boppy pillow!! I have 3..one for each level of our house so I always have one near. 

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Recommendation for where to buy a decent maternity coat (like, winter coat, not a fall jacket) for not a ton of money? Motherhood Maternity's prices are more than I'd like to spend and Old Navy's selection is super limited right now.  Hoping to spend under $50 but I know that might not be realistic... I've been scouring consignment sites but I might not find something on there before the cold weather comes so I'd like a few more options.  Last time I was able to use my normal winter coat throughout but DD was born in June and it was getting pretty tight by the end of the winter so I doubt it'll work this time.  So... any ideas?
    I used one of DH's coats last time around! It worked great and I didn't have to buy anything ha!

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @karaelaine1991  I have never had a maternity coat, and I don't plan on getting one this time either.  I live in Michigan so it does get cold but I will either wear my regular coat, which is a little baggy and just wear it unzipped, or just wear sweaters/cardigans.  Some second hand places you could try looking--Vinted (app), Poshmark (app), ThredUp, and Ebay.  I wouldn't buy one full priced unless you absolutely can't avoid it.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

I used one of DH's coats last time around! It worked great and I didn't have to buy anything ha!
    DH doesn't believe in coats - "real men don't get cold" *huge eye roll* he only wears suit jackets for work if absolutely necessary. I wish I could do that, though!
  • @AshleySparkle720 I'm hoping I can get away with wearing my husband's coats this winter too!

I work in NYC and my commute includes a lot of walking outside, so wearing my own coats unzipped won't really work on the cold days. But I realllly don't want to spend money on a maternity coat. 
  • ladysaceb said:
    @karaelaine1991  I have never had a maternity coat, and I don't plan on getting one this time either.  I live in Michigan so it does get cold but I will either wear my regular coat, which is a little baggy and just wear it unzipped, or just wear sweaters/cardigans.  Some second hand places you could try looking--Vinted (app), Poshmark (app), ThredUp, and Ebay.  I wouldn't buy one full priced unless you absolutely can't avoid it.
    Yeah, I definitely would rather not! Thanks, I'll check those out!
  • Zulily has some real warm looking maternity coats on sale today.  Looks like the really warm ones are closer to $100, but there are some options closer to $50.
  • I got a thick down maternity coat from ON for $25 at a second hand shop- it's totally not my size (too big) but it'll do, I guess they just fly off the rack at those second hand places!
  • @karaelaine1991 the week I found out I was pregnant, someone offered up a wool maternity coat for free on our local moms fb site. I grabbed it! They can be so spendy! maybe put a shout out on fb that you are in search of a maternity coat to borrow or buy for cheap. You might be surprised by an offer!
  • Old Navy has their one maternity coat on sale for today only! I snagged one for $44. My normal coat is ON and I love it, but this one may not be enough for the crazy northern winters. I'm hoping it can get me through two months of a couple blocks walking into work for a KY winter. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Do any OTC meds that are safe for pregnancy actually help with cold and congestion? If so, what do you recommend? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @cjs260 I saw that coat and ALMOST bought it but I resisted! Love it
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @BriannaE129129 I'm going to HAVE to have a coat because I walk outside a good bit AND since I trust ON's XL will actually fit, I just went with it. Especially since it was like $25 off today. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• have any of you ladies ever had a LEEP procedure before?

(ok--story time) basically in Oct 2015 I went for my regular yearly gyno exam and my pap smear came back a little abormal. My gyno called me back in to do a colposcopy just to be sure and that revealed that I had very "mild" dysplasia. My gyno suggested that she do a LEEP procedure to burn off the little spot of cells she found in my cervix with the mild dysplasia but she told me it was not an urgent to-do. I didn't do it (yet) and now I am pregnant so I can't do it until after the baby comes. I had to switch from my gyno to a new place because my gyno is not an OB. At my new place, my OB is monitoring me every 8 weeks to make sure everything is fine in my cervix. She is always assuring me my cervix looks great. I take her word for it, and I am honestly not freaking out, but I am wondering if any of you have had a similar experience? When I go to the OB this week this will be another "monitor" check to make sure everything is fine. I am going to ask her what the plan is after I give birth so I can stop getting all these pap smears and stuff.

It does worry me that there is the possibility of cervical cancer down the road. My mom had a LEEP done and then two successful pregnancies, and a lot of my girlfriends have had LEEPs done too and are fine. I know it's not a major procedure but yeah ok so enough talking hahaha! Basically, if you have any insight, I would appreciate. Thanks friends.
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• @nolemama24 Not sure if what I had done was called a LEEP procedure but it sounds similar. I had it done and all was fine and no issues since then. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, I didn't find any pain associated with it, maybe just an uncomfortable feeling.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 thanks!!!! did you stop having abnormal paps after you had your procedure? I feel like I am being poked & prodded so much, haha!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• I've run across a place that does coat extenders for maternity.  Makemybellyfit.com

i didn't need to buy maternity coats last time around and I live somewhere with pretty cold winters.  One perk of having big bazoombas is your coats usually have enough bagginess in the stomach because they have to be sized big enough to fit your chest.  When I was term, my belly didn't go much past my chest.  That's one thing that sucks - it takes a long time for you to look pregnant vs having a big beer belly because you never really pop until the last few weeks. :(
    BabyName Ticker
  • @nolemama24 Yes, I've had normal paps since then and been a normal annual schedule. I think if I remember right I had a 6 month follow up pap after it and then when that was normal I was back on my normal schedule.

Pregnancy Ticker