October 2016 Moms
Options

Moms of Early (September) Babes, Enter Here!

Re: Moms of Early (September) Babes, Enter Here!

• Options
    @PCOSbaby nothing really groundbreaking here but, if you pump for about 15min a few times a day, that should help. That's what I did while LO was in NICU and I couldn't go see her at first, to get things started. I thought (most likely was explained and I don't remember bc of coming out of general anesthesia and on lots of meds) it was to get milk to send up to her but now I realize it was just to stimulate my milk to come in. And definitely drinking tons of water (I was told even more than I did when pregnant), being sure to eat lots, and take deep calming breaths while feeding her.

@gatorMom2014 definitely lol....I finally got DH to change a diaper last night and LO ended up not only pooping in the new one but, when he went to change that, somehow either she was still pooping or he wasn't able to contain the dirty diaper, +2 more new diapers wasted. I wasted at least one last night when she peed and pooped as I was changing her haha. They say the cold stimulates them to pee - idk what the pooping thing is about!
  • Options
    I didn't think I would have any milk come in, to be honest. Baby was 4 weeks early and my boobs were still all normal-no aching or leaking or anything. Well today- they have started their leaking! So weird! I also have a hard lump under my left armpit that the doc says is probably from my milk. 

My issue is that we do not plan to breastfeed. Any suggestions from you ladies? Doc just said wear a tight bra. 

Still in the hospital until tomorrow morning. Been here since Thursday. About to take my first shower since then. Im so excited I might just cry when I get in there!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bamacoop, tight bra, cabbage leaves, cold packs, and drink less water so your not as hydrated and your body should take the hint. One of my close friends wasn't able to get baby nursing so she ended up formula feeding and this is what worked for her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh I should mention cold cabbage leaves in your bra.
  • Options
    @bamacoop Ice those boobies and stuff your tight bra with cold cabbage leaves. That'll do it from what I've read, but they will hurt for a few days. Be careful of the warm shower water, that will stimulate milk production and let down. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    @bamacoop if you are allergic to sulfa don't do the cabbage leaves!!  
  • Options
    +1 Beware warm showers, let down central right there!

I just did tight bras after weaning the kids, seemed to do the trick after a few days.
  • Options
    Is anyone else feeling completely overwhelmed? I feel like I've spent more time crying than anything since getting home from the hospital on Saturday. My midwife wrote me a prescription for an anti-depressant (I had PPD after each kid) but when I went to fill it Saturday evening, they said I wasn't covered under my DH's insurance anymore! He's calling them today but it's like one thing after another. 

It probably doesn't help that DD2 and DS are sick. DD2 is getting over croup and DS barely has a voice. So it's causing extra stress trying to keep them back when all they want to do is hold and be around DD3.

I mean, I realized this would be difficult, this is my fourth baby. But I did NOT imagine it starting so soon. Thankfully today is a school day for the older two! 

One fortunate thing: DD3 is sleeping pretty well at night. She's been going down around 9 and then giving me 3-4 hours between feedings until around 5:30. I would probably lose it if I wasn't sleeping too!

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @owlcup Um, I'm overwhelmed and this is my only child. You are doing amazing with that many. 

I don't have much advice but if I were you, I'd just try to remember that it doesn't have to be perfect and you are doing your very best! 
  • Options
    @bamacoop- **TW***
    I had a 24 week loss my first pregnancy and lightly wrapped ice packs in a sports bra were good. Get the child sized ones so they fit in your bra. I actually thought warm showers were helpful too, to relieve pain. Keep an eye out for mastitis symptoms- a bad lump that won't go away, pus, fever, chills, malaise. It's not likely but good to look out for. 

@owlcup- i only have DS and he STTN, and I'm completely overwhelmed. Idk how you're doing it all! I will be going on Zoloft as well. We will make it through!
  • Options
    @bamacoop sudafed or anything that dries out your sinuses also dries out milk. I've also heard sage can dry you out. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    no @sjo_thetwins you're never having them! ;) 
  • Options
    @owlcup it sounds like you have every reason to feel overwhelmed! On top of just birthing a baby you have additional littles at home. Hopefully, this week will feel a little better as other littles go back to school!

remember you can only do so much and cleaning can wait! And kudos to you for being proactive with PPD. I hope your insurance is a quick fix and let DH take care of it for you!
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies! Today has been SO much better! I'm hoping once everyone gets back into their schedules, things will be better! DH did talk to our insurance and they have no idea why our pharmacy said I wasn't covered because I am. So I'm going to go try to get my prescription again tonight but we'll see.

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

• Options
    von1976 said:
    The lactation nurse at kaiser suggested you that you massage your breasts in a downward motion for five minutes after the breastfeeding for the first five days to increase milk supply. Haven't had my LO yet but I thought I would pass it on. They claim it's very new research. 
    I don't know if it works, but my lactation consultant also suggested this. My boobs have not seen this much action since high school, but my milk is fast and furious. I can easily get 3 oz in a 20 min pumping session between both breasts. I feel like that's pretty good. 
    I'm so jealous! I'm getting 1oz in a 20min pumping session. I'm definitely adding this to my plan.

Thanks ladies!
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    Hey mamas! I officially have cold feet of pushing two babies out of my vagina. Can one you or all of you please go into a little more detail about how delivery went? How the epidural felt? What you felt after the epidural? What you felt before it? How your healing vag feels now? I am ten times more scared about a c section, so... We will be attempting vaginal. Thanks for your gory details in advance. *big grin*
    I didn't have a vaginal delivery so I can't speak on that. I can comment on the epidural.

I felt a little pinch when the needle was going in. The only part that hurt was when she was placing what felt like a thread inside the hole she made with the needle. It was like the thread was rubbing against my nerves. 

After my c section {not as scary as it sounds} I was extremely cold. I had on a heated gown and was still shivering. I was told that was a side effect of the epidural. I had never heard that before. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• Options
    @sjo_thetwins I had a spinal for my scheduled c section. It wasn't too bad. The pressure was weird and try to round your back when you have a giant belly is hard but just be still still still and breathe. 
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins I was terrified of a vaginal birth, so I'm really glad the doctor let me have a c-section after trying to induce me for 4 days. I will say that it's totally not as bad as people make it out to be. The spinal didn't hurt to get, it was just a weird feeling being numb from the waist down, but it wore off within 30 minutes of the c-section being complete. I think the hardest part was getting in and out of bed and sitting on the toilet to go to the bathroom. Part of the issue with me was I had preeclampsia and severe swelling in my legs to the point where I had to use a walker to get around, but I think without that it would have been easier to move about. I'm now 10 days PP and the bleeding has almost stopped, I didn't really ever need the overnight pads that everyone talked about. I never used the spray for down below because there was no pain, and I only have minimal pain where my incision is when sitting up from laying down or bending over. IF I decide to have another child, I think I may just go with the RCS from the rip because it was so easy. 
  • Options
    @nataliemaephotography you just answered random things i was thinking about a c
  • Options
    Seconding the thanks for all of the spinal details! I'm still COMPLETELY freaking out and decide at least once a day to go AMA and do this naturally because I am so terrified of a c-section. But hearing your experiences is helping. Especially regarding the recovery. My parents up and decided they're coming 2 weeks PP  so I HAVE to be completely mobile by then! Seems like that might be realistic. Is there anything that was especially helpful for the healing process? 
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Options
    Anyone else get migraines after giving birth? I'm 9 days post partum and have had one for two days. I've been taking Motrin because I'm breastfeeding and can't take migraine medication.
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins these girls are getting out of you one way or another! I thought I had an awful experience (labor for 48 hours without being able to get the epidural I wanted and while on magnesium which makes you feel like shit, then not progressing so quickly off to a c section under general anesthesia where my husband couldn't even be there with me and I was like the 15th person to finally see my baby before they took her to the NICU).......after the magnesium drip stopped and I got to see her, I was talking about how I'd do it all over again that day if I had to. Sorry I don't have input on vaginal delivery, spinal or epi, or a normal CS but I'm convinced you'll do great and will be thrilled once it's over, which it will be even if after a messy blur!

@books&icecream if your parents visit they can help you if you're not completely mobile at 2 weeks PP. I pretty much am, but need to slow down sometimes just to let my body adjust to certain movements. Definitely follow advice on not lifting anything heavier than the baby, take motrin and whatever prescribed pain meds at first to not let the pain get away, def take all the colace and prune juice (id say for a couple weeks to be safe) plus try to poop before you leave the hospital, walk around as much as they say you can once you can but when not up rest with the leg compressor/massager things, wear a belly binder...that's all I can think of for now

@MrsB627 are you being monitored for pre-eclampsia? It can happen I think up to 6 weeks PP and for me anyway has been worse after (an ER trip, etc) and can be kinda sneaky so just thought I'd mention bc you're talking about headaches!
  • Options
    Ahhh thank you guys again! I'm so ready for it to be over! 
  • Options
    @von1976 I appreciate reading your birth story!! It's nice to read something that isn't a horror story!! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion @von1976
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• Options
    Re: Epidural- They seem so much scarier than they are in reality. They will wipe your back down, probably have you sit cross legged and slouched over, give you a local that will sting for just a few seconds, then insert the needle, which you won't feel at all other than a slight pushing/pressure. Then, your feet and legs will get warm and Tingley and everything will be so much better!

Labor tip: RELAX. Being tense can slow down and even stop labor. Also, you're more likely to tear or be more sore afterwards if you're too tense. 
  • Options
    I'm so depressed right now =( I don't have ANY of my babies with me, and it's just too much...
  • Options
    I'm so depressed right now =( I don't have ANY of my babies with me, and it's just too much...
    I know how you feel.  I'm sitting in the NICU at midnight just watching my guy sleep.  It's only the 3rd time I've got to see him and I still haven't held him
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @LauraPCOS @AllyTheKid I had my LO in the nicu for 6 hours and that was hard enough! Sorry ladies. Just remember that this too shall pass. 
  • Options
    @LauraPCOS ::hugs:: mama, "soon, soon, soon"...

@OrangeEv It sure is the worst wait ever though, isn't it?
  • Options
    @LauraPCOS and @AllyTheKid I hope your babies get things home soon. I can't imagine what it would be like to be home without my lo. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    BTDT moms: Are your PP contractions like, 1000x worse than they were with your 1st or 2nd babies?
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid @LauraPCOS Hang in there mamas, the waiting is the absolute hardest part. Just remember that your babies are getting the care they need so that they can be with you soon. I hope you get to hold your babies very soon!
  • Options
    @allythekid All my nurses have told the PP contractions are worse with each baby. I swear, the contractions I had while nursing my baby were worse than the actual contractions of labor! They were only super painful for 24-36 hours though. After that they were much more tolerable. Just stay on top of your pain meds!

• Options
    +1 for the painful contractions after birth. I wasn't expecting that.

Sending creepy internet hugs to @AllyTheKid and @LauraPCOS
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014